Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Director

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread
peng wrote:
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Jack Arnold
Unke
9/10

I vividly remember being somewhat disturbed by this film as a child. On Sundays, one of our (of just two channels, seriously) network TV stations had a slot "The Sunday Horrors" which I would religiously watch. I have no idea what I would think of this film now, but it has certainly left a lasting impression.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 pm
Director

peng wrote:
next: JamesKunz - The Exterminating Angel

So much for making up ground on JamesKunz this round.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 pm
Director

peng wrote:
Sometimes I just instinctively know that I'm not ready for a "difficult" filmmaker based on their reputation. I had always put Michelangelo Antonioni in the "wait until I'm older" pile, also occupied by the likes of Andrei Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr. Since then I had watched my first Tarkovsky and was pleasantly surprised. And now I felt similarly (to a lesser degree) by my first Antonioni, even though I hear this is a transitional work for the director.

In that case, I'm definitely glad I didn't go with "L'Eclisse," my initial thought for a submission. :? Yes, this film is largely seen as a bridge between Antonioni's early, more neo-realist films and his later, more abstract (but more popular) films, which began with his follow-up to this one, "L'Avventura."

What Tarkovsky film did you see, out of curiosity? I've seen all 7 of his films, and I think "The Mirror" may be my favorite.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:00 am
Assistant Director

Peng, now that you bring it up, how old are you? that is, if you don't mind me asking :D

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
What Tarkovsky film did you see, out of curiosity? I've seen all 7 of his films, and I think "The Mirror" may be my favorite.

I saw Stalkerback in April.

Thief12 wrote:
Peng, now that you bring it up, how old are you? that is, if you don't mind me asking :D

I don't mind, and it's 23. ;)

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:06 pm
Director

The Exterminating Angel
Luis Buñuel

JamesKunz

8/10

After two Luis Buñuel films, Belle de Jour and this, I begin to understand that the director's works are going to lean towards more on intellectually stimulating than emotionally satisfying. There is nothing wrong with the former approach, but it has to balance on a precise line to work for me personally; the theme should be dense and rich enough to sustain my interest throughout. I like Belle du Jour, but I think this is slightly better, due to the collection of more colorful characters populating the film, and a truly bonker premise that fits the surrealist streak more: the guests at an upper-class dinner party find themselves psychologically unable to leave a room. There are some down times that may let the theme of bourgeoisie stare at you a little too plainly, and the pace almost becomes too languish at some points. Overall though, the satire is sharp and pointed, the situation grows entertainingly crazier, and although they are the object of the film's contempt, the characters are so well portrayed that I couldn't help but feel a little pity for many of them at the end.

Also, add Luis Buñuel along with Ingmar Bergman and other classic directors that the Buffy series unexpectedly pays homage to.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
2) JamesKunz 35.5
3) Unke 34.5
4) H.I. McDonough 30.5
5) Syd Henderson 30.5

MunichMan 25.5
calvero 24
Jeff Wilder 23
montparnasse 21.5
Vexer 19

next: montparnasse - The List of Adrian Messenger

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:34 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

The Exterminating Angel
Luis Buñuel

After two Luis Buñuel films, Belle de Jour and this, I begin to understand that the director's works are going to lean towards more on intellectually stimulating than emotionally satisfying. There is nothing wrong with the former approach, but it has to balance on a precise line to work for me personally; the theme should be dense and rich enough to sustain my interest throughout. I like Belle du Jour, but I think this is slightly better, due to the collection of more colorful characters populating the film, and a truly bonker premise that fits the surrealist streak more: the guests at an upper-class dinner party find themselves psychologically unable to leave a room. There are some down times that may let the theme of bourgeoisie stare at you a little too plainly, and the pace almost becomes too languish at some points. Overall though, the satire is sharp and pointed, the situation grows entertainingly crazier, and although they are the object of the film's contempt, the characters are so well portrayed that I couldn't help but feel a little pity for many of them at the end.

Right on. I feel the same way about this as you. Not a movie that you're going to embrace with open arms, but one that you can appreciate the skill that's on display.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:56 pm
Assistant Director

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Director

The List of Adrian Messenger
John Huston

montparnasse

7.5/10

A classic mystery plot that utilizes a number of bizarre (and often hilarious) aesthetic conceals. A writer Adrian Messenger (John Merivale) believes a series of unrelated deaths may be leading to him, so he gives his MI5 friend (George C. Scott) a list of names to clear up the mystery. Shortly after that he boards a plane that is bombed, prompting the friend to launch into a full investigation.

If you see many famous names at the beginning and they haven't shown up yet one-third of the way through, don't bother waiting to notice them until right at the very end, with the fourth-wall-breaking "This is the end of the story, but not the end of the mystery!" announcement. That, and the montage of latex-pulling explanations after, might sound exasperating, but it proves strangely endearing. The same can be said for the rest of the film, in which a solid mystery contains a lot of obvious latex disguises. As with many mystery films based on novels, the exposition can get unwieldy and uncinematic. But John Huston's dynamic and gracious compositions come to the rescue, like one scene in which a dead man's last words are relayed and jotted down, and we can see a woman's expression of dawning acknowledgement in the background. That and a number of colorful performances (especially Kirk Douglas when not in disguise) keep the film interesting throughout.

I like how one reviewer describes it, referring to a film that's coming up in the competition: "Kind Hearts & Coronets buried under a mountain of latex"

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
2) JamesKunz 35.5
3) Unke 34.5
4) H.I. McDonough 30.5
5) Syd Henderson 30.5
6) montparnasse 29

MunichMan 25.5
calvero 24
Jeff Wilder 23
Vexer 19

next: Jeff Wilder - Radio Days

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:03 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

The List of Adrian Messenger
John Huston

montparnasse

7.5/10

A classic mystery plot that utilizes a number of bizarre (and often hilarious) aesthetic conceals. A writer Adrian Messenger (John Merivale) believes a series of unrelated deaths may be leading to him, so he gives his MI5 friend (George C. Scott) a list of names to clear up the mystery. Shortly after that he boards a plane that is bombed, prompting the friend to launch into a full investigation.

If you see many famous names at the beginning and they haven't shown up yet one-third of the way through, don't bother waiting to notice them until right at the very end, with the fourth-wall-breaking "This is the end of the story, but not the end of the mystery!" announcement. That, and the montage of latex-pulling explanations after, might sound exasperating, but it proves strangely endearing. The same can be said for the rest of the film, in which a solid mystery contains a lot of obvious latex disguises. As with many mystery films based on novels, the exposition can get unwieldy and uncinematic. But John Huston's dynamic and gracious compositions come to the rescue, like one scene in which a dead man's last words are relayed and jotted down, and we can see a woman's expression of dawning acknowledgement in the background. That and a number of colorful performances (especially Kirk Douglas when not in disguise) keep the film interesting throughout.

I like how one reviewer describes it, referring to a film that's coming up in the competition: "Kind Hearts & Coronets buried under a mountain of latex"

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
2) JamesKunz 35.5
3) Unke 34.5
4) H.I. McDonough 30.5
5) Syd Henderson 30.5
6) montparnasse 29

MunichMan 25.5
calvero 24
Jeff Wilder 23
Vexer 19

next: Jeff Wilder - Radio Days

Sounds fun! Where'd you find it? Not on Flix de la Net!

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:32 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

The Exterminating Angel
Luis Buñuel

Right on. I feel the same way about this as you. Not a movie that you're going to embrace with open arms, but one that you can appreciate the skill that's on display.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:51 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:

The Exterminating Angel
Luis Buñuel

The Exterminating Angel is unusual among the Buñuel's I've seen in that it actually has a plot (as opposed to L'Age d'Or, The Phantom of Liberty, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeousie and Un chien andalou). It's probably why I like it the best, though for pure, unadulterated Buñuel, nothing tops L'Age d'Or. His late films are cuddly in comparison.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:57 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Sounds fun! Where'd you find it? Not on Flix de la Net!

Yeah this is pretty elusive even with my usual way. Image Luckily someone helped point me to here.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:30 pm
Director

Radio Days
Woody Allen

Jeff Wilder

9/10

I've said about one of my favorite films, Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes, that it eschews narrative in favor of playing more like fragments of childhood memories. Woody Allen's Radio Days is operating in similar mode, obviously drawing from the director's own past. But instead of being unspeakably beautiful and poetic, it goes about its way by injecting a heavy dose of neuroses, as is typical of Allen. Nevertheless, the feeling of being totally transported to another time is still enveloping, powerful, and nostalgic, with period music and design executed perfectly. Personal reflection in film can court indulgence, but with a masterful hand at the helm, it can be a time machine back to a seemingly more charming period, layered with humor and poignancy.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
2) JamesKunz 35.5
3) Unke 34.5
4) Jeff Wilder 32
4) H.I. McDonough 30.5
5) Syd Henderson 30.5
6) montparnasse 29

MunichMan 25.5
calvero 24
Vexer 19

next: Vexer - The Crow

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:00 pm
Director

The Crow
Alex Proyas

Vexer

7/10

All elements of this film are seductive as hell, from Brandon Lee's pure charisma, heavy Goth visual, fluid camerawork, to the effective score. But it almost loses me completely in stretches where it attempts any long action scene. Their length and repetition make it reach the point of tedium, especially the big shootout near the end. That feels endless for a while, and is hard to make anything out. Alex Proyas would bring his great visual flair to a more worthy story in Dark City. Still, The Crow has its own kind of grungy charm (not often nowadays that an expensive visual pic would factor in mud and trash), whether in campy or horror mode, and glimpses of the love story coupled with Lee's performance give the film's ending some real emotional weight.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
2) JamesKunz 35.5
3) Unke 34.5
4) Jeff Wilder 32
4) H.I. McDonough 30.5
5) Syd Henderson 30.5
6) montparnasse 29
7) Vexer 26

MunichMan 25.5
calvero 24

next: MunichMan - Kind Hearts and Coronets

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:43 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

The Crow is great fun with a striking visual style. Such a shame about Brandon Lee. Tragic.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:53 am
Auteur

Yeah it's a damn shame, especially since his death could easily been prevented if only the crew had followed proper procedures.

Anyways good review though I disagree about the action scenes, I thought they were really well-done and entertaining and I was never bored by them.

I kind of prefer this over Dark City, which is a good movie in it's own right, but I find The Crow hits the emotional notes more effectively.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:45 am
Assistant Director

I, for one, love the final shootout. It's intense, violent, fast-paced, and has that kinetic energy to it. That said, I probably agree with the grade which would probably translate to a B or B- you think? Anyway, Lee's death definitely hindered the final product and the scenes that end up using doubles feel awkward.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
I, for one, love the final shootout. It's intense, violent, fast-paced, and has that kinetic energy to it. That said, I probably agree with the grade which would probably translate to a B or B- you think? Anyway, Lee's death definitely hindered the final product and the scenes that end up using doubles feel awkward.

I heard that most of the film was finished before his death, I thought the doubles were actually convincing, the only time where it was fairly obvious was the final scene.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:57 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

I heard that most of the film was finished before his death, I thought the doubles were actually convincing, the only time where it was fairly obvious was the final scene.

I haven't seen it in a while, but the scenes I remember are...

When Draven crawls out of the grave, returns to the apartment, and puts on the makeup.
    The scene where the girl returns to the apartment only to find it empty, and Draven then appears in the window when she's about to leave.
    The scene with Draven and the crazy dude in the car.

Those are the ones I remember most, but the most important is that all three were really key scenes; particularly the one between Eric and the girl, and the use of the doubles ends up being distracting and a bit awkward. Unavoidable, sure, but that's just how I feel watching it. But like I said, I still like the film quite a bit.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next