Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Critic

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread
H.I. McDonough wrote:
You've GOT to see "Stranger Than Paradise." One of my favorite films of the '80s... and my favorite Jarmusch film.

Well, we're halfway through. It's still fairly close. I can't imagine Thief12 keeping up his pace, though. :P

Oh he'll fall alright. He'll fall so the true winner can emerge from the rifraff around him!

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:05 pm
Assistant Director

Well, I still got Au Revoir les Enfants on my side, so we'll see ;)

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
Well, I still got Au Revoir les Enfants on my side, so we'll see ;)

...fuck. FUCK FUCK FUCK. I gave that exactly four full stars and approximately 500 tears.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 pm
Director

Halfway there! aka Randomizer Round 4

1) Libeled Lady (Syd Henderson)
2) Il Grido (H.I. McDonough)
3) Conspiracy (Thief12)
4) The Incredible Shrinking Man (Unke)
5) The Exterminating Angel (JamesKunz)
6) The List of Adrian Messenger(montparnasse)
7) Radio Days (Jeff Wilder)
8) The Crow (Vexer)
9) Kind Hearts and Coronets (MunichMan)
10) The Collector (calvero)

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:24 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
You've GOT to see "Stranger Than Paradise." One of my favorite films of the '80s... and my favorite Jarmusch film.

Well, we're halfway through. It's still fairly close. I can't imagine Thief12 keeping up his pace, though. :P

Oh he'll fall alright. He'll fall so the true winner can emerge from the rifraff around him!

Speaking as riff-raff, I certainly hope so.

I have 8 x Guinness this round. I'm hoping for a 10... If any of my films get a perfect score it will be this one, I imagine.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 am
Critic

MunichMan wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Speaking as riff-raff, I certainly hope so.

I have 8 x Guinness this round. I'm hoping for a 10... If any of my films get a perfect score it will be this one, I imagine.

Heh, 8x the Guinness. Whereas this is potentially my weakest choice. It's okay though: I have Z in reserve for the later rounds

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:13 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Heh, 8x the Guinness. Whereas this is potentially my weakest choice. It's okay though: I have Z in reserve for the later rounds

Really? "The Exterminating Angel" is probably my favorite of your selections, next to "Flirting" (though, admittedly, I haven't seen "The Lady Eve" or "Army of Shadows"). I'm not expecting to win, otherwise I'd have probably submitted more tried-and-true titles than the mostly off-the-beaten-path ones I ultimately put forth (I'm just about willing to bet that I'm absolutely the only one on these boards who's seen - let alone heard of - all 6 of my selections... until peng finishes this tourney, anyway :| ).

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:46 am
Director

Quote:
The List of Adrian Messenger

darn, not on netflix. one the few John Huston's I haven't seen.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It is an overlooked film, but unjustly so. It took ages to come on dvd, but when I saw it I was pleasantly surprised. Rather a whydunnit than a whodunnit, since we know from the first scene that the character played by Kirk Douglas is killing the people on the list one by one, but we have no clue as to who he is or what are his motives. The film also has many comic/satirical elements.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:29 pm
Assistant Director

I must admit I'm more curious to see peng's reaction to my pick in this round (Conspiracy) than any other round so far. That film is a darling of mine and easily one of my favorites ever.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Libeled Lady
Jack Conway

Syd Henderson

8/10

It's a classic screwball comedy plot: after an heiress (Myrma Loy) sues a newspaper for printing wrong news about her, the editor (Spencer Tracy) hires a former reporter (William Powell) to compromise her, with a scheme involving the editor's long-suffering fiance (Jean Harlow). Coming so soon after I watched The Lady Eve, this is bound to suffer in comparison. It's highly entertaining but not very memorable: the plot may be a little too straightforward in stretches, and characters sometimes shift their course of feeling without us seeing sufficient motivation behind them. That said, you can't really go too wrong with a cast of this caliber. Powell and Harlow in particular are endlessly delightful; the former gets a great, great scene of physical comedy, repeatedly having pratfalls in a river. The pace is also fast enough to gloss over most of the flaws while we're watching. Permutations of character match-ups are always a pleasure, and when the four of them finally get together at the end stretch, it's pure firework of the first order.

Leaderboard
1) 30.5

Thief12 28
JamesKunz 27.5
MunichMan 25.5
Unke 25.5
calvero 24
H.I. McDonough 23
Jeff Wilder 23
montparnasse 21.5
Vexer 19

next: H.I. McDonough - Il Grido

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 pm
Director

That whole fishing sequence is one of the funniest I've ever seen. A big reason for recommending the movie. Oh, and Harlow's fit near the end. She has a point, after all.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:11 am
Director

Il Grido (The Cry)
Michelangelo Antonioni

H.I. McDonough

7.5/10

Sometimes I just instinctively know that I'm not ready for a "difficult" filmmaker based on their reputation. I had always put Michelangelo Antonioni in the "wait until I'm older" pile, also occupied by the likes of Andrei Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr. Since then I had watched my first Tarkovsky and was pleasantly surprised. And now I felt similarly (to a lesser degree) by my first Antonioni, even though I hear this is a transitional work for the director.

For a director whose works have been signified by intimidating words like "ennui" "discontent" and "boredom", I find Il Grido warmer and more engaging than I expected. It tells the story of a man who was living for seven years with a married woman and their daughter. After the woman learned that her long-absent husband was dead, the man was shocked to find that she hadn't intended on marrying or staying with him next. He then took their daughter and traveled all over looking for a job. It's all very existential, and landscape plays an important part in this aspect, beautifully filmed but highlighting the vast emptiness that the man increasingly felt. At times, it feels like a quieter and (slightly) bleaker Fellini. This doesn't all work: often the tone clashes with the story or characters, and it grows repetitive after a while, with some story tangents feeling incomplete. Even so, the strong theme resonates throughout, right down to that memorable and haunting ending.

Leaderboard
1) H.I. McDonough 30.5
2) Syd Henderson 30.5

Thief12 28
JamesKunz 27.5
MunichMan 25.5
Unke 25.5
calvero 24
Jeff Wilder 23
montparnasse 21.5
Vexer 19

next: Thief12 - Conspiracy

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:54 pm
Director

Conspiracy
Frank Pierson

Thief12

8.5/10

or 15 Nazi Men. Being a foreigner who's terrible with names, I wasn't hit with the full meaning of the meeting at the heart of this film until maybe the phrase "Jewish question" was uttered a second time. From then on the bile kept increasing and the feeling of watching a train-wreck in slow-motion never stop. It is extremely buoyed by tight dialogue and many riveting performances. Kenneth Branagh is chilling in his cold, smiling demeanor, while Stanley Tucci portrays evil efficiency in a quieter, yet no less matter-of-fact, manner. Of the two prominent opposing forces, Colin Firth shows an intensity that seems borne out of pragmatism more than compassion. Only David Threlfall subtly has signs of humane uneasiness about this meeting. If anything, the film may rely on script and performances too much, as the direction never picks up slack in between high-wired moments, creating some lulls in momentum (there are times when you can tell it's a TV movie). But that's a minor nitpick considering how the film works so well overall, with its cold and clinical examination lending the final decision a chilling, heartbreaking power.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
1) H.I. McDonough 30.5
2) Syd Henderson 30.5

JamesKunz 27.5
MunichMan 25.5
Unke 25.5
calvero 24
Jeff Wilder 23
montparnasse 21.5
Vexer 19

next: Unke - The Incredible Shrinking Man

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 pm
Director

TV movies were eligible for this contest?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:01 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
TV movies were eligible for this contest?

HBO movies are basically films.
peng wrote:
while Stanley Tucci portrays evil efficiency in a quieter, yet no less matter-of-fact, manner.

The "banality of evil," to quote a famous phrase about Eichmann

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:07 pm
Assistant Director

Woohoo! I'm so glad you liked it, peng. Like I said, ever since I first saw it about 10 years ago, the film has become a darling of mine and I frequently list it among my Top 20. Almost every performance is pitch-perfect, and the simple setting just allows them all to shine more. If anything, my only nitpick with the film is that the final conversation between Heydrich and Co. is a bit heavy-handed and too telegraphed, lacking the subtlety that the film had through most of its duration.

My signature link leads you to an article I wrote about it, so feel free to check it out.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Director

That was a nice, long read, although I don't really think Tucci was harboring any hesitation. The way I read it, it feels like the intent of his portrayal is that he was caring and worrying about the efficiency of the household and the meeting's organization more than the lives that will be lost from it.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:24 am
Director

Unke wrote:
But I shall already practice my most scornful laughter for the moment when I will overtake you once peng will have watched, erm, 'The Incredible Shrinking Man'.

Ha! Perhaps not the most scornful, but a very satisfied chuckle may be in order.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:20 pm
Director

The Incredible Shrinking Man
Jack Arnold

Unke

9/10

From the formal voice-over to the straightforward storyline to the unexpected, melancholic ending, this might be the best Twilight Zone feature ever (even though the actual show debuted two years later). No fat, just lean and mean storytelling. The angst early on can get grating at times, but it evolves completely into an engrossing, exciting survival yarn. The special effects are incredibly good for its time, and asides from the occasional shadowless superimposition and blurry edges, the physicality of practical effect still feels cool and effective even today. That fight with giant spider is truly terrifying. And then it ends on a sublime, beautiful note, leaving the viewers to ponder the philosophical implications of the tale long after.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 36.5
2) Unke 34.5
3) H.I. McDonough 30.5
4) Syd Henderson 30.5

JamesKunz 27.5
MunichMan 25.5
calvero 24
Jeff Wilder 23
montparnasse 21.5
Vexer 19

next: JamesKunz - The Exterminating Angel

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next