Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Director

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread
peng wrote:

Touching the Void
Kevin Macdonald

MunichMan

8/10

This only confirms the suspicion I have during 2012's The Imposter: I really, really cannot give in totally to documentaries with fictional reenactment in them. One part of my brain wants the truth unfiltered, while the other doesn't want any talking-head fact to get in the way of the filmmaking. Clearly a personal thing, and I realize that choosing one method will make this film less special (the former because there is clearly no chance any camera will be around; the latter because we will miss the compelling anecdotes given by the real people). Oh well, it's still enjoyable and involving, and I like it better than The Imposter because the story is so visceral and tense, just about human primal instinct to survive. The end is also truly inspiring.

next: montparnasse - Resurrect Dead

It might not be a bad idea to give the uninitiated some idea of what the film is about.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:38 pm
Director

I actually thought about that, but the actual events are pretty minimal so I figure that the picture combined with the phrase about human instinct to survive will be enough without clueing in too much about what will happen.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:12 pm
Director

Quote:
James Stewart works well in the role that uses his likeability to mask the film's undercurrent and complicated view of violence, but it is Arthur Kennedy who's the standout. His sly magnetism constantly shifts viewers' perception of him before everything comes to a head in the third act.

Kennedy is an underrated actor. 5 Oscar noms, no wins. He's also great in 'Man from Laramie.'

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:31 pm
Director

Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles
Jon Foy

montparnasse

7/10

A detective documentary about the mystery of linoleum tiles that pop up in various U.S. streets over the past three decades. The craft and storytelling are straightforward and talking head-filled to the point of being uninteresting at times. But the story itself is engrossing, and the parallel between the subject and the investigator can be weirdly poignant, with a resonating final epilogue after the reveal. It's also very fun to see a real-life mystery being worked out, with each clue slowly falling in place. Some really great sleuthing going on by these guys. The film also taps into that thrilled, bigger-than-life feeling that the world can still be full of surprises and mysteries, just waiting around the corner for you to notice them.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 25.5
2) Unke 25.5
3) montparnasse 21.5

Thief12 18
JamesKunz 17.5
calvero 17
H.I. McDonough 15
Syd Henderson 15
Jeff Wilder 15
Vexer 10

next: Syd Henderson - Gregory's Girl

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:08 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles
Jon Foy

montparnasse

7/10

A detective documentary about the mystery of linoleum tiles that pop up in various U.S. streets over the past three decades. The craft and storytelling are straightforward and talking head-filled to the point of being uninteresting at times. But the story itself is engrossing, and the parallel between the subject and the investigator can be weirdly poignant, with a resonating final epilogue after the reveal. It's also very fun to see a real-life mystery being worked out, with each clue slowly falling in place. Some really great sleuthing going on by these guys. The film also taps into that thrilled, bigger-than-life feeling that the world can still be full of surprises and mysteries, just waiting around the corner for you to notice them.

next: Syd Henderson - Gregory's Girl

What a bizarre-sounding movie

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:38 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

peng wrote:

Touching the Void
Kevin Macdonald

MunichMan

8/10

This only confirms the suspicion I have during 2012's The Imposter: I really, really cannot give in totally to documentaries with fictional reenactment in them. One part of my brain wants the truth unfiltered, while the other doesn't want any talking-head fact to get in the way of the filmmaking. Clearly a personal thing, and I realize that choosing one method will make this film less special (the former because there is clearly no chance any camera will be around; the latter because we will miss the compelling anecdotes given by the real people). Oh well, it's still enjoyable and involving, and I like it better than The Imposter because the story is so visceral and tense, just about human primal instinct to survive. The end is also truly inspiring.

Gee, I wish I would have known that before I chose this movie... ;)

Still, an 8 with that built-in prejudice... I can live with that. :D

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 am
Director

Have you seen The Imposter? In many ways it's a richer experience because this documentary format really suits that film's theme, events, and tone. I like your rec better just because for someone with this little prejudice, the format totally works against an intellectual exercise.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:24 am

RD was probably my riskiest choice, first because it' s an obscure little film and second because it won't reveal some great truth about humanity, but I found it fascinating as a modern real life mystery worthy of Sherlock Holmes.
I became interested in the film after reading Ebert' s review.The main questions that the film poses are who is the creator or creators of the mysterious tiles and what personalities such as Arnold Toynbee, Stanley Kubrick and David Mamet have to do with this curious case.
I would recommend the film to people who liked Zodiac because the two films share many similarities.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:23 am

peng wrote:
Have you seen The Imposter? In many ways it's a richer experience because this documentary format really suits that film's theme, events, and tone. I like your rec better just because for someone with this little prejudice, the format totally works against an intellectual exercise.

I have not seen Imposter. I'll have to check that one out.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 pm
Director

Gregory's Girl
Bill Forsyth

Syd Henderson

7.5/10

The kind of film that will probably resonate way, way more if you have grown up in that place and culture. The film itself almost seems too meandering at first, albeit in a pleasant, hangout way. It starts out as an underdog love story, where the teenage, awkward Gregory falls in love hard with Dorothy, a confident and athletic girl. But the story takes the less predictable route towards the end, and the last act is all kind of warm and charming. Not as good in capturing the delirious feeling of teen's attraction like Flirting, but still delightful nonetheless. Being from that place may help the immersion better; nostalgia and intoxication of first love are universal though.

Sidenote: It adds to the funny how male teens are absolutely clueless in this one, while the females and young kids hold all the power and answers. I also have to check a couple of times that the lead (sometime annoying, but mostly endearing) is really not a young Tim Robbins.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 25.5
2) Unke 25.5
3) Syd Henderson 22.5
4) montparnasse 21.5

Thief12 18
JamesKunz 17.5
calvero 17
H.I. McDonough 15
Jeff Wilder 15
Vexer 10

next: Vexer - The Killer

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:17 pm
Director

I was also amazed that Gregory's male friends are even more clueless than he is.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:41 pm
Director

The Killer
John Woo

Vexer

9/10

I must have seen a bunch of John Woo's earlier films as a very young kid and not remember them. This viewing of The Killer brings back some fuzzy memories of where I saw them, triggered by that sweet tune of a song. As for the film itself, I can see how it's influential. It's full of tropes, cliches, and some hammy acting. But everything, including the stylized action, is heightened with melodrama and emotions to such a degree that it becomes kind of operatic and very entertaining. Such heart-on-a-sleeve approach makes the familiar themes of loyalty, honor, and trust go down smoothly. All the relationships are rendered well and give the film strong emotional resonance, especially the bond between the killer and the policeman. Amidst all the bullets and blood, there is some real earnestness going on, which makes the bleak ending quite a kick in the gut. And Chow Yun Fat is one hell of a charismatic presence too.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 25.5
2) Unke 25.5
3) Syd Henderson 22.5
4) montparnasse 21.5
5) Vexer 19

Thief12 18
JamesKunz 17.5
calvero 17
H.I. McDonough 15
Jeff Wilder 15

next: H.I. McDonough - The Quiet Earth

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:21 pm
Critic

A Vexer recommendation that panned out? What world am I living in?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:44 am
Director

peng wrote:

The Killer
John Woo

Vexer

9/10

I must have seen a bunch of John Woo's earlier films as a very young kid and not remember them. This viewing of The Killer brings back some fuzzy memories of where I saw them, triggered by that sweet tune of a song. As for the film itself, I can see how it's influential. It's full of tropes, cliches, and some hammy acting. But everything, including the stylized action, is heightened with melodrama and emotions to such a degree that it becomes kind of operatic and very entertaining. Such heart-on-a-sleeve approach makes the familiar themes of loyalty, honor, and trust go down smoothly. All the relationships are rendered well and give the film strong emotional resonance, especially the bond between the killer and the policeman. Amidst all the bullets and blood, there is some real earnestness going on, which makes the bleak ending quite a kick in the gut. And Chow Yun Fat is one hell of a charismatic presence too.

The Killer is at the top of the Woo pyramid along with Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. His Hong Kong films have an operatic tone that he wasn't able to bring to his Hollywood films except for Face/Off, the only one that could rank with his Hong Kong work. Most likely because he was able to get total creative control on it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:51 am
Director

The Quiet Earth
Geoff Murphy

H.I. McDonough

8/10

It sure is quiet, but that works in my favor for once. A man wakes up to find himself seemingly the only one alive in the world, which may have something to do with a scientific project he has been a part of. Soon, being alone has a deteriorating effect on his mind...

It feels like an episode of The Twilight Zone, including not having material meaty enough for a 90 minute feature. However, the film trades in events for an atmosphere of absolute isolation. The whole world seems to stand still while the man roams around, and the film lets us feel every of his step and hear the echo of what used to be. Even as the film starts to have a resemblance of a plot as it reaches the halfway point, the feeling of awe and being adrift never leave, making for an immersive, hypnotic watch. The film is also very gorgeous, full of many memorable shots involving empty spaces and sci-fi images. That last, ambiguous scene may take your breathe away.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 25.5
2) Unke 25.5
3) H.I. McDonough 23
4) Syd Henderson 22.5
5) montparnasse 21.5
6) Vexer 19

Thief12 18
JamesKunz 17.5
calvero 17
Jeff Wilder 15

next: calvero - Waterloo Bridge

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:57 pm
Director

Waterloo Bridge
Mervyn LeRoy

calvero

7/10

A love story between an army colonel and a ballerina takes a tragic turn when, after losing her job, she learns that he has been killed in the war, and then has to resort to less savory mean to make ends meet. The general plot outline can make for a good old-fashioned melodrama, but it has one trope that I really don't fancy at all: a tragic romance where things wouldn't have taken a turn for the worse if one character is not so goddamn proud. Teeth grit and eyes roll. Oh well, it still remains in the realm of entertaining by the handsome production and two really good performances from Robert Taylor and Vivian Leigh, who have great chemistry together.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 25.5
2) Unke 25.5
3) calvero 24
4) H.I. McDonough 23
5) Syd Henderson 22.5
6) montparnasse 21.5
7) Vexer 19

Thief12 18
JamesKunz 17.5
Jeff Wilder 15

next: JamesKunz - The Hill

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:20 pm
Director

Waterloo Bridge was also done in the pre-Code era, starring Mae Clarke (later the bride of Henry Frankenstein and also the woman into whose face James Cagney hit with a grapefruit). In that one, she is definitely a prostitute. Director was James Whale. It's quite a good film.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:06 pm
Cinematographer

I feel bad for not taking the time to pick out some films at the beginning; this is probably the best thread going on the forum right now, peng. It's been a pleasure reading your thoughts, and I hope to offer some of my own on the future films you watch.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:15 am
Profile WWW

Blonde Almond wrote:
this is easily the best thread going on the forum right now, peng. It's been a pleasure reading your thoughts,

There, fixed that for you... :D

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:09 am
Director

MunichMan wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
this is easily the best thread going on the forum right now, peng. It's been a pleasure reading your thoughts,

There, fixed that for you... :D

Of course -- because so many of us have an investment in it. ;) And since Steven seems to have abandoned his own competition that was spawned by peng's, it makes it all the more attentive.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next