Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread
Glad you enjoyed it. I just love this film. Mr. Pantalino is who makes it for me. Ceasar is anything but a stereotype. You think you know what he's going to do, then... Nothing is expected, and what is expected, doesn't happen. If you can get past the lesbian elements (and many couldn't) this is simply a top notch thriller, with an excellent building of tension. A brilliant first effort, more polished in its way that the Coens' Blood Simple, as far as first films go. Despite the excellence of The Matrix, the Wachowski's never again reached the hieghths of their first film.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:49 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

Bound
The Wachowski Siblings

MunichMan

9/10

This is the kind of film that makes me fall in love with the medium. Sure, there are a few tiny rough patches in the beginning, notably the romance that initially plays more like a male's fantasy version, overblown in its sexual imagery and situations as to become almost hilarious at times. But even in that regard, the performances and energy help sell it. Once the plan is set in motion, however, it contains some of the most propulsive momentum I have seen in quite a while, both visually and narratively. The Wachowskis bring out all the stylish stops from various influences to get us involved, while the suspense in the story is based not merely on plot, but on characters' many crucial decisions, making the film unpredictable. After it gets going, Bound is pure white-knuckle ride to the end.

Hottie factor: As previously said, despite the almost hilariously overblown situations, the performances of both really sell the sexual charge through. Never thought in the beginning that those helium voices will actually add to the femme fatale characteristics too.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 18
2) MunichMan 17.5
3) JamesKunz 17.5
4) calvero 17
5) Unke 16
6) H.I. McDonough 15
7) Syd Henderson 15
8) Jeff Wilder 15
9) Vexer 10

montparnasse 8

next: montparnasse - Europa

One of my favorite neo-noirs. Glad you liked it too, even if it brings MunichMan into a tie with me

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:57 pm
Director

MunichMan wrote:
A brilliant first effort, more polished in its way that the Coens' Blood Simple, as far as first films go. Despite the excellence of The Matrix, the Wachowski's never again reached the hieghths of their first film.

Not a fan of Cloud Atlas I take it?

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:32 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
A brilliant first effort, more polished in its way that the Coens' Blood Simple, as far as first films go. Despite the excellence of The Matrix, the Wachowski's never again reached the hieghths of their first film.

I wasn't that big on it myself, I thought the film was way overlong and the pacing really lagged at times, some stories were decent(the one set in the future) though others were mendearing and boring.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:54 pm
Assistant Director

I need to revisit Bound. I remember liking it a lot, but haven't seen it in more than 10 years.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

I wasn't that big on it myself, I thought the film was way overlong and the pacing really lagged at times, some stories were decent(the one set in the future) though others were mendearing and boring.

It's not perfect, but it has more ambition in every scene than most movies have in their entire running length. I got out of the movie and turned to my wife and said "I understand -- and probably agree with -- every criticism you have about the film. But I loved it"

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:24 am
Director

My Wachowski ranking, for what it's worth...

1. Cloud Atlas 9.5
2. The Matrix 9
3. Bound 9
4. Speed Racer 8.5
5. The Matrix Reloaded 7.5
6. Thr Matrix Revolution 6

Speed Racer is that one film where I can clearly see the thing many people dislike about it, but I would feel personally that that's the point and what makes it so exuberant. Another watch of it might actually make it switch place with Bound in my ranking.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:20 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
It's not perfect, but it has more ambition in every scene than most movies have in their entire running length. I got out of the movie and turned to my wife and said "I understand -- and probably agree with -- every criticism you have about the film. But I loved it"

Yeah. It's one I enjoyed although I admired it more than I truly loved it. But it's definitely worth seeing.

However, I wonder what would have happened if the Wachowski's had followed Bound with another dark, idiosyncratic film of that type. Likewise what would have happened if Bryan Singer had turned down X-Men and continued to make edgy stuff in the vein of The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil. Or if Peter Jackson had decided not to helm The Lord Of The Rings and continued on the path he started with Heavenly Creatures. Not that I disliked the pictures that got made. It's just fun to contemplate. Although in the case of the last two, if that had happened, they most likely would have gone to directors without the same vision or talent.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 am
Director

Europa
Lars von Trier

montparnasse

6.5/10

Previously to this, I had the same reactions to the two Lars von Trier films I have seen so far (Dancer in the Dark and Dogville): profoundly affected, but kinda hating the world a bit afterwards. Yet I keep coming back for more. His films can't be said to be easy watches, but they tend to have our total investment, and each becomes a singular experience (I'll still avoid Antichrist for the foreseeable future though; some things I just don't need to see). So it came as a surprise to visit a work early in his career and find out how polite he is, even almost to the point of boring.

His aesthetics are excellent, obviously. The mix of B&W and color, and the use of going from one frame in the story to another (like moving from door to car) are all striking and effective. The old-school technique of using locations projecting on sheet as background, almost like melodramas from the Golden Hollywood era, maximizes the emotions in key moments as well. But I still feel far too removed from the story to be in its grasp. Its stateliness sometimes makes the story feel lifeless. With a story involving spies, Nazis, bombs, and various wartime elements, the director could afford to project more pulp into the film.

End of Round 2
1) Thief12 18
2) MunichMan 17.5
3) JamesKunz 17.5
4) calvero 17
5) Unke 16
6) H.I. McDonough 15
7) Syd Henderson 15
8) Jeff Wilder 15
9) montparnasse 14.5
10) Vexer 10

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:34 pm
Director

Here goes round 3.

1) In a Lonely Place (Unke)
2) Touching the Void (MunichMan)
3) Resurrect Dead (montparnasse)
4) Gregory's Girl (Syd Henderson)
5) The Killer (Vexer)
6) The Quiet Earth (H.I. McDonough)
7) Waterloo Bridge (calvero)
8) The Hill (JamesKunz)
9) Mulholland Drive (Thief12)
10) Mystery Train (Jeff Wilder)

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:36 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
Here goes round 3.

5) The Killer (Vexer)
8) The Hill (JamesKunz)

Ugh Thief's already winning and he suggested Mulholland Drive...that'll be hard to compete with. Oh well. I've got Sean Connery and Sidney Lumet on my side

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:51 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Ugh Thief's already winning and he suggested Mulholland Drive...that'll be hard to compete with. Oh well. I've got Sean Connery and Sidney Lumet on my side

Agreed, Mulholland Drive is basically unbeatable. It's almost a trump card movie for most film lovers.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:59 pm
Assistant Director

Peng, I haven't seen Europa, but I wholeheartedly recommend Melancholia. It is actually the only Von Trier film I've seen, but it was certainly a weirdly emotional and affecting experience.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:50 pm
Profile WWW

JamesKunz wrote:
peng wrote:
Here goes round 3.

5) The Killer (Vexer)
8) The Hill (JamesKunz)

Ahhh... but I have what I consider my strongest films yet to come. ;-)

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:16 pm
Director

In A Lonely Place
Nicholas Ray

Unke

9.5/10

or How Bogart's Eyes Should Get Their Own Oscar.

There is the thick atmosphere. There is a murder. Shadows loom large in gorgeous black-and-white. Our lead isn't quite a wholesome guy. Still, despite these elements pointing towards a more noir-ish tale, at heart this is a love story, albeit one that goes to some psychologically dark places, almost in a Bergman-esque manner. The parallel between Dix-Laurel's relationship and the behind-the-scene, unraveling marriage of director Nicholas Ray and actress Gloria Grahame only adds to the emotionally exacting nature of the whole film. It doesn't matter if Dix is innocent or not; Bogart's volatile and destructive temperament hangs over the whole film, turning situations tense on a whim. It's a testament to this great performances that we have a wide range of reactions to the character: fondness, doubt, sympathy, fear. Grahame's rapport with him provides the soul of the film, which turns utterly bitter in the devastating final line.

Leaderboard
1) Unke 25.5

Thief12 18
MunichMan 17.5
JamesKunz 17.5
calvero 17
H.I. McDonough 15
Syd Henderson 15
Jeff Wilder 15
montparnasse 14.5
Vexer 10

next: MunichMan - Touching the Void

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 pm

I'll definitely have to check this one out. Love your writeups.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:12 am
Critic

This is the most fun thread in forever. Seeing what an intelligent filmgoer thinks as he discovers classics. Love it. (and love In a Lonely Place, for the record)

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:34 pm
Producer

I'm adding some of these to my own film queue. I've never seen the Bogart. In fact, the only two I've seen this round are Mulholland Dr., which I like a lot and own, and my own pick, Gregory's Girl.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:26 pm
Director

Again, thanks so much for the kind words you guys.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:32 pm
Director

Touching the Void
Kevin Macdonald

MunichMan

8/10

This only confirms the suspicion I have during 2012's The Imposter: I really, really cannot give in totally to documentaries with fictional reenactment in them. One part of my brain wants the truth unfiltered, while the other doesn't want any talking-head fact to get in the way of the filmmaking. Clearly a personal thing, and I realize that choosing one method will make this film less special (the former because there is clearly no chance any camera will be around; the latter because we will miss the compelling anecdotes given by the real people). Oh well, it's still enjoyable and involving, and I like it better than The Imposter because the story is so visceral and tense, just about human primal instinct to survive. The end is also truly inspiring.

Leaderboard
1) MunichMan 25.5
2) Unke 25.5

Thief12 18
JamesKunz 17.5
calvero 17
H.I. McDonough 15
Syd Henderson 15
Jeff Wilder 15
montparnasse 14.5
Vexer 10

next: montparnasse - Resurrect Dead

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next