Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread 
Director

Post Re: Peng Does a Movie Competition Thread
I'm curious to see what you think of Red River. Its sort of an unofficial remake of Bend of the River.

Quote:
Besides being a terrific movie in its own right--and the second entry in a remarkable eight-film series teaming director Anthony Mann and star James Stewart--Bend of the River is also fascinating as a variation on one of the greatest Westerns. With or without anyone else's knowledge, screenwriter Borden Chase reworked scenes, character configurations, and much of the structure of Red River, the screenplay of which he had cowritten (from his own novel) for director Howard Hawks six years earlier. Seeing what Hawks and Mann did with some of the same scenes--a spooky night skirmish with Indians, for instance--makes for a compelling lesson in the transformative power of directorial style

http://www.amazon.com/Bend-River-VHS-Ja ... 6300184935

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 pm
Critic

Really enjoying this thread, Peng.

Good on you.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:37 pm
Director

The Lady Eve
Preston Sturges

JamesKunz

8.5/10

Somewhat letdown, as far as this high score can be called that. I had expected 10/10 or close based on the reputation. Compared to other films labeled "screwball comedies", what threw me off at first is the relatively deliberate pace. The dialogue is smart, but not overlapping. The characters meet their pratfalls, but never in close succession that much (Henry Fonda got a delightful one late in the film). This has the benefit of developing characters that we care about more than usual. But it also helps highlight the plot's nonsensical nature, which is par for course for most in this genre, but perhaps too obvious when the pacing wants us to consider it as a legitimately dramatic story too. That said, the writing in between plot points are still on target and frequently very funny. Barbara Stanwyck is phenomenal and has strong chemistry with Henry Fonda (That hair-stroking scene...). Their dynamic is also unusual in having her be the one in control almost the entire film. All in all, this is actually closer to a solid 8, but Stanwyck makes it a little more special and bumps it up.

Leaderboard
1) JamesKunz 17.5
2) calvero 17
3) H.I. McDonough 15
4) Syd Henderson 15
5) Vexer 10

Thief12 10
MunichMan 8.5
Unke 8
montparnasse 8
Jeff Wilder 7.5

next: Thief12 - Bullitt

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 pm
Critic

peng wrote:

The Lady Eve
Preston Sturges

JamesKunz

8.5/10

Somewhat letdown, as far as this high score can be called that. I had expected 10/10 or close based on the reputation. Compared to other films labeled "screwball comedies", what threw me off at first is the relatively deliberate pace. The dialogue is smart, but not overlapping. The characters meet their pratfalls, but never in close succession that much (Henry Fonda got a delightful one late in the film). This has the benefit of developing characters that we care about more than usual. But it also helps highlight the plot's nonsensical nature, which is par for course for most in this genre, but perhaps too obvious when the pacing wants us to consider it as a legitimately dramatic story too. That said, the writing in between plot points are still on target and frequently very funny. Barbara Stanwyck is phenomenal and has strong chemistry with Henry Fonda (That hair-stroking scene...). Their dynamic is also unusual in having her be the one in control almost the entire film. All in all, this is actually closer to a solid 8, but Stanwyck makes it a little more special and bumps it up.

Leaderboard
1) JamesKunz 17.5
2) calvero 17
3) H.I. McDonough 15
4) Syd Henderson 15
5) Vexer 10

Thief12 10
MunichMan 8.5
Unke 8
montparnasse 8
Jeff Wilder 7.5

next: Thief12 - Bullitt

What sets this one above for me is what you mention -- the characters. So rare for me in such a film, but I actually cared that these two ended up together. And I had kind of a crush on Barbara Stanwyck for a while after the movie that I'm not ashamed of. Glad you (mainly) liked it

Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:17 am
Assistant Director

calvero wrote:
I'm curious to see what you think of Red River. Its sort of an unofficial remake of Bend of the River.

Isn't that the other way round? Bend of the River is 1952, while Red River is 1948. IMDB voters rate Red as somewhat better than Bend.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044413/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040724/
Having not seen either, and as a fan of Westerns, I'll be sure to check these out at some stage.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:24 am
Producer

The main weakness in The Lady Eve is Henry Fonda, although Barbara Stanwick makes up for it by having enough chemistry for both of them. Fonda's really a stick-in-the-mud. But then you have William Demarest and Charles Coburn. 8.5 is fair enough, though I'd give it a 9.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:49 am
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
The main weakness in The Lady Eve is Henry Fonda, although Barbara Stanwick makes up for it by having enough chemistry for both of them. Fonda's really a stick-in-the-mud. But then you have William Demarest and Charles Coburn. 8.5 is fair enough, though I'd give it a 9.

I dunno, man: I think Fonda's squareness is perfect against Stanwyck's aggressive sexiness

Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:23 am
Director

Quote:
Isn't that the other way round? Bend of the River is 1952, while Red River is 1948

Yes, that's what I meant to write.

Quote:
And I had kind of a crush on Barbara Stanwyck for a while after the movie that I'm not ashamed of

Have you seen Ball of Fire?

Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:51 pm
Director

Bullitt
Peter Yates

Thief12

8/10

I have heard a few people mention this as a "that one scene" film, but despite its familiarity, the plot actually has some unexpected twists and turns, and is interesting and complex enough to engage this viewer throughout. And wow, that car chase. A good reminder that great action scenes don't need expensive CGI more than they need logical editing, patient build-up in events and consequences, and the physicality of it all -- an intimate sensation that makes you really feel for an extended period that these people might actually bleed and die.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 18
2) JamesKunz 17.5
3) calvero 17
4) H.I. McDonough 15
5) Syd Henderson 15
6) Vexer 10

MunichMan 8.5
Unke 8
montparnasse 8
Jeff Wilder 7.5

next: Jeff Wilder - Half Nelson

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 pm
Cinematographer

I'm glad you liked that one as well. I saw it for the first time about a year or two ago, and fell in love with it.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

calvero wrote:
Quote:
Isn't that the other way round? Bend of the River is 1952, while Red River is 1948

Yes, that's what I meant to write.

Quote:
And I had kind of a crush on Barbara Stanwyck for a while after the movie that I'm not ashamed of

Have you seen Ball of Fire?

Ooooooh no, should I?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:59 pm
Director

Half Nelson
Ryan Fleck

Jeff Wilder

7.5/10

Torn about this one. Taken at plot surface, it represents quite a few things I am finding exasperating about indie cinema (poorsploitation, preciousness, etc). The film itself falls into that trap from time to time. The situations could have been more nuanced. And if you are not going to do that, and have the direction be of the nicely understated kind, the pacing and running time should also reflect that. The slightly too long length has the effect of making this film feel more slight.

However, the film absolutely nails the heart of the story: the rapport between Ryan Gosling and Shareeka Epps. Both are always outstanding in their individual stories, but even better in their scenes together. Epps projects intelligence beyond her years in that stillness, but never lose the youthful vibe. Gosling here seems like a whole different person from the "Hey Girl..." persona of today, which might be the most impressive thing. He captures all the volatile aspects of this character without once making it seem like he's acting. And this scene, where the teacher and student both give in to their worst temptations and come face-to-face accidentally, is pure brilliance, devastating in its emotional impact.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 18
2) JamesKunz 17.5
3) calvero 17
4) H.I. McDonough 15
5) Syd Henderson 15
6) Jeff Wilder 15
7) Vexer 10

MunichMan 8.5
Unke 8
montparnasse 8

next: Unke - Wild at Heart

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:58 pm
Director

Quote:
Ooooooh no, should I?

I think you would like it. She's my favorite actress. Looks really good in that one.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:37 pm
Director

Wild at Heart
David Lynch

Unke

8/10

'Elvis in Oz' doesn't even begin...

This film is totally nuts. Over-the-top, garish, insane. At various points I consider giving it 5 (sometimes it gets downright silly) to 10 (its energy is impossible to resist). But what hangs the film together is that the actors give it their all. 'All' in this case ranges from mad hysterics to the ability to develop a touching love story that emerges strong despite (or maybe because of) the savage lunacy around it.

Nicholas Cage running over cars to Laura Dern, capping off by 'Love Me Tender'? Guilty of being swept up by all that.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 18
2) JamesKunz 17.5
3) calvero 17
4) Unke 16
5) H.I. McDonough 15
6) Syd Henderson 15
7) Jeff Wilder 15
8) Vexer 10

MunichMan 8.5
montparnasse 8

next: MunichMan - Bound

Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Wild at Heart is a wild ride, that's for sure. The perfect role for Cage, and Laura Dern was great. The show stealer for me was Diane Ladd, Laura Dern's real mother. I just hope she didn't model her Oscar-nominated performance on their actual family life!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on Bound, the Wachowski Brothers first film. Too bad the hot factor is no longer applicable. ;)

This is a great idea for a thread. And your doing a great job with the reviews. I envy your experiencing all of these great new films. Unfortunately, you can only see a film for the first time once. Of course, subsequent viewings often reveal deeper understanding and appreciation, but there's something about watching a great film for the first time and just thinking, "Wow!" when the credits roll.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:46 am
Director

MunichMan wrote:
Wild at Heart is a wild ride, that's for sure. The perfect role for Cage, and Laura Dern was great. The show stealer for me was Diane Ladd, Laura Dern's real mother. I just hope she didn't model her Oscar-nominated performance on their actual family life!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on Bound, the Wachowski Brothers first film. Too bad the hot factor is no longer applicable. ;)

This is a great idea for a thread. And your doing a great job with the reviews. I envy your experiencing all of these great new films. Unfortunately, you can only see a film for the first time once. Of course, subsequent viewings often reveal deeper understanding and appreciation, but there's something about watching a great film for the first time and just thinking, "Wow!" when the credits roll.

Thanks for the kind words.

If she did model that on actual family life, that would have been one household heavy on lipstick expense...

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:58 am
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Wild at Heart
David Lynch
8/10/quote]

I'm glad you found this film interesting to watch. It's probably David Lynch at his craziest. I like it very much and want that snakeskin jacket (a symbol of my individuality and belief in personal freedom), but I'm aware that 'Wild at Heart' is a "love it or hate it" movie.

peng wrote:
Bullitt
Peter Yates
8/10

And I'm very glad that you liked this one, too, although it wasn't my suggestion (Thief12 has chosen some excellent movies for you to watch). I think it's far from a "one scene" movie. The confrontation at the end is a excellent and very suspenseful action scene, which has been copied by a few movies, such as 'Heat' for instance. The hospital sequence ends in a great foot chase. The sense of place is extraordinary, probably because the movie has been filmed in real hospitals and airports rather than on soundstages. Indeed, the realism of the movie is very special (some of the physicians in the hospital are actual doctors etc.). I also like how the movie doesn't have much dialogue, but still manages to tell a relatively complicated plot vey well and to create three-dimensional characters without having them say very much Finally, I would suggest that this is the first modern cop movie, transposing the lone stranger archetype from Westerns to crime movies. Although 'Bullitt' hasn't been forgotten and is generally considered to be a good movie, I still think that it is an underrated masterpiece.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:

Half Nelson
Ryan Fleck

Jeff Wilder

7.5/10

Torn about this one. Taken at plot surface, it represents quite a few things I am finding exasperating about indie cinema (poorsploitation, preciousness, etc). The film itself falls into that trap from time to time. The situations could have been more nuanced. And if you are not going to do that, and have the direction be of the nicely understated kind, the pacing and running time should also reflect that. The slightly too long length has the effect of making this film feel more slight.

However, the film absolutely nails the heart of the story: the rapport between Ryan Gosling and Shareeka Epps. Both are always outstanding in their individual stories, but even better in their scenes together. Epps projects intelligence beyond her years in that stillness, but never lose the youthful vibe. Gosling here seems like a whole different person from the "Hey Girl..." persona of today, which might be the most impressive thing. He captures all the volatile aspects of this character without once making it seem like he's acting. And this scene, where the teacher and student both give in to their worst temptations and come face-to-face accidentally, is pure brilliance, devastating in its emotional impact.

Nice review again here peng. Love the American flag he has as a band-aid on his bottom lip in Half Nelson.

What exactly do you mean by the "Hey Girl..." persona Gosling has today? Do you mean he's taking a role based mainly for female adoration? Or is it that women love him so much he's been pigeon holed more as a model come actor? If you do, I'm guessing you mean the roles he recently took in (the hopeless) Crazy Stupid Love and the (equally hopeless) Gangster Squad? That's not really the way I think his career has panned out. When I think of Gosling, I think of a serious actor, of his roles in Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine, All Good Things, Drive, The Ides of March, The Place Beyond the Pines and the performance you've mentioned above.

Anyway, really enjoying this thread.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:38 am
Director

That comment is not pertaining to his roles or ability, just meaning that in this film he looked so far from the dreamy guy today.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:46 pm
Director

Bound
The Wachowski Siblings

MunichMan

9/10

This is the kind of film that makes me fall in love with the medium. Sure, there are a few tiny rough patches in the beginning, notably the romance that initially plays more like a male's fantasy version, overblown in its sexual imagery and situations as to become almost hilarious at times. But even in that regard, the performances and energy help sell it. Once the plan is set in motion, however, it contains some of the most propulsive momentum I have seen in quite a while, both visually and narratively. The Wachowskis bring out all the stylish stops from various influences to get us involved, while the suspense in the story is based not merely on plot, but on characters' many crucial decisions, making the film unpredictable. After it gets going, Bound is pure white-knuckle ride to the end.

Hottie factor: As previously said, despite the almost hilariously overblown situations, the performances of both really sell the sexual charge through. Never thought in the beginning that those helium voices will actually add to the femme fatale characteristics too.

Leaderboard
1) Thief12 18
2) MunichMan 17.5
3) JamesKunz 17.5
4) calvero 17
5) Unke 16
6) H.I. McDonough 15
7) Syd Henderson 15
8) Jeff Wilder 15
9) Vexer 10

montparnasse 8

next: montparnasse - Europa

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:48 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next