Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
June Challenge, my fellow warriors of cinema 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: June Challenge, my fellow warriors of cinema
25 down, 2 rewatches. I'm gonna write a little about each at the end of the month, which I'm looking forward to. Still hoping to get 30 first time watches.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:12 am
Director

Gedmud wrote:
25 down, 2 rewatches. I'm gonna write a little about each at the end of the month, which I'm looking forward to. Still hoping to get 30 first time watches.

Most impressive. I'm at the 20 right now. Still have a few I want to watch, maybe make it to ~24. This is an absolute record for me - 15ish would be a good month for me normally.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:37 am
Critic

I'm at 20 now, but since I'm on my big trip of the year I'm unlikely to watch more than 1 more.

Still, mission accomplished for the tenth June in a row

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 am
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Film #11: The Rover

David Michod's followup to Animal Kingdom has received a surprisingly wide release, I'm assuming because of the presence of Robert Pattinson in the cast list. But Twilight fans should probably stay away from this one; just like Cosmopolis before it, this is about as far away from mainstream accessibility as possible. I'm still trying to wrap my head about this to be honest. It's something of a cross between Mad Max and Cormac McCarthy and David Lynch, and the opening stretch is so surreal and off-kilter I wondered briefly if the film was supposed to be a black comedy, playing up the most well-known tropes of the post-apocalyptic genre. As the film moves along, however, it becomes more conventional and serious, and also a little less involving. I still have a fondness for this kind of stripped-down exercise though, and the stark cinematography, discordant score (which throws in some tracks from post-rock band Tortoise), and the two central performances from Guy Pearce and Pattinson make this worth seeing.

What did you think of The Rover's ending? To me
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the fact that there was a dog in the car the whole time added a new layer to Guy Pearce's character. The dog is definitely supposed to mirror Pattinson's character, but the end gave some reasoning as to why Pearce was willing to help him. There was also a bunch of stuff done with cages and fences contrasted with the wide open spaces of the Australian outback. The scene with the army soldier and the captured Pearce was really interesting too. Can't quite wrap my head around that.

Not a great movie by any means, but one that's interesting and thought-provoking. I just can't really decide if I liked it or not.

Your final line sums up my feelings about The Rover as well, and nice call on the fences motif. I'm definitely in the more positive camp; while I think some stretches drag a little and certain moments are less compelling than others, there's still a lot of interesting material to chew on. Concerning the ending:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm not sure if the execution of it completely worked for me, but it does cast the Guy Pearce in a new and interesting light. There's a nice contrast with the story he tells to the army soldier, about how he killed and buried his wife and her lover and moved on with no repercussions. That inhuman action is mirrored with the human one at the end, taking the time to bury an animal companion, even if nobody is there to witness it. To call it redemptive is probably hollow considering the carnage he unleashes on his journey to get to that point, but you could read it as his small attempt to retain a sense of decency and humanity in a world where such things mean very little.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Look what you did Kunzo, you made me do a thing. I finished June with a total of 36 movies watched, with 4 Rewatches. 32 first time viewings. I even wrote a little thought about each which exceedes the character limit so I'll link it for anyone interested. Without further ado... The June Challenge.

http://baneari.tumblr.com/post/90333154 ... -challenge

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:58 am
Director

:shock: on Vertigo and that aside in Take Shelter write-up, but :) on the loves for 2001, Before Sunset, and Raising Arizona.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:42 am
Second Unit Director

Hey, at least I was aware the opinion was unpopular on both counts!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:40 pm
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Look what you did Kunzo, you made me do a thing. I finished June with a total of 36 movies watched, with 4 Rewatches. 32 first time viewings. I even wrote a little thought about each which exceedes the character limit so I'll link it for anyone interested. Without further ado... The June Challenge.

http://baneari.tumblr.com/post/90333154 ... -challenge

Now that's the nuttage that challenges are supposed to inspire! Yes Gedmundder, yes!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:54 pm
Second Unit Director

Sup.

So I ended up watching one more movie. Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope". I thought it was quite exceptional. The irony was torturous and it was incredible to see the drama unfold in such long takes. The camera rarely cut. Now I've finally seen Jimmy Stewart in something that I feel lives up to the legendary standard that he's always praised by. At the risk of sounding cliche, it's easily the best Hitchcock I've seen so far.

Rope ****

June Challenge grand total: 37.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:25 am
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Sup.

So I ended up watching one more movie. Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope". I thought it was quite exceptional. The irony was torturous and it was incredible to see the drama unfold in such long takes. The camera rarely cut. Now I've finally seen Jimmy Stewart in something that I feel lives up to the legendary standard that he's always praised by. At the risk of sounding cliche, it's easily the best Hitchcock I've seen so far.

Rope ****

June Challenge grand total: 37.

*Furrows brow*

Rope is the best Hitchcock you've seen? Damn, son.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:28 am
Second Unit Director

Rope ****
Psycho ***1/2
North by Northwest **1/2
Vertigo **1/2
The 39 Steps **1/2
Rear Window **

Outside of Psycho, I prefer Rope by a long shot so far. 6 Movies isn't that much to work with though.

Out of curiosity JKu, what do you think of Rope on it's own?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:48 am
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Rope ****
Psycho ***1/2
North by Northwest **1/2
Vertigo **1/2
The 39 Steps **1/2
Rear Window **

Outside of Psycho, I prefer Rope by a long shot so far. 6 Movies isn't that much to work with though.

Out of curiosity JKu, what do you think of Rope on it's own?

Well if you don't think any one of the four (North by Northwest, Vertigo, 39 Steps, and Rear Window) are even worth three stars, I'm not sure there's any reasoning with you.

My problems with Rope are that it's mainly a gimmick movie, trying to give the impression of a continuous, filmed play for 80 minutes. Stripped of that conceit, I don't think the film's that interesting. It has a certain diabolical wit in its beginning, but the ending is so conventional. Watch Strangers on a Train and tell me what you think of it

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:07 pm
Second Unit Director

Maybe Hitchcock is an acquired taste. Although, I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone to agree. Ill watch Strangers on a Train after Anatomy of a Murder, that one was recommended to me first.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:32 pm
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Maybe Hitchcock is an acquired taste. Although, I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone to agree. Ill watch Strangers on a Train after Anatomy of a Murder, that one was recommended to me first.

No problem. Though, to be clear, Anatomy of a Murder isnt Hitchcock

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:06 am
Second Unit Director

Nope! But I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about Jimmy Stewart after I finished Rope and he recommended Anatomy to me. Neither of us are huge fans, but he said he really liked him in that. Sorry for the confusion.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:47 am
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
Nope! But I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about Jimmy Stewart after I finished Rope and he recommended Anatomy to me. Neither of us are huge fans, but he said he really liked him in that. Sorry for the confusion.

It's my favorite courtroom movie. And it's really not even close. Rock it.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:10 am
Cinematographer

I ended up watching an even 20 films in June. Here are some quick thoughts on the last several before it gets too far here into July:

Film #13: Stranger By The Lake

Alain Guiraudie's slow-burn thriller is a damned effective demonstration of how to create something special with only a few spare elements. The film's subject matter, and the fairly explicit way it handles the material, has probably kept many from checking it out, but I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Film #14: Flirting

There's been so many lukewarm coming-of-age tales in recent years, it's refreshing to see one that's done right. This is a delightful film, its teenage cast navigating all the requisite waters and more with ease. I also appreciate how the film doesn't shy away from having the real world intrude on the central romance.

Film #15: The Mosquito Coast

I already recounted some of the problems I had with this in the 2014 Viewing Journal thread, and there's not much more I can say about it. Harrison Ford is the film's standout element, but also its greatest problem.

Film #16: Mississippi Mermaid

This is one of those "beautiful people doing beautiful things" movies. Like The Thomas Crown Affair, it relies on the sex appeal of its two main stars (in this case, Catherine Deneuve and Jean-Paul Belmondo) to mask the unfortunate fact that very little of interest actually happens over the course of its running time. It's the least memorable film I've seen from the usually-reliable Francois Truffaut.

Film #17: Night Moves (2014)

While not to be confused with the Gene Hackman/Arthur Penn effort of the same name. Kelly Reichardt's latest film nevertheless is a thriller in a similar '70s vein. I bring up The Day Of The Jackal a lot as an example of a masterful thriller, one that draws interest from small details and deliberate process. Night Moves creates tension in the same way, but it also functions as an understated character piece and a portrait of the naivete that leads certain people to commit extremist acts.

Film #18: The Signal (2014)

Holy hell, this was terrible. I'm usually willing to forgive some of the rougher edges of lower-budget productions, but this is a film that is consistently derailed by the rougher edges (chief among them the lead performance, which undercuts every moment of small promise). The only interest comes with trying to piece together what exactly is going on, but I think that has more to do with the incompetency than any sort of intentional obfuscation.

Film #19: Hell In The Pacific

Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune headline this 1968 wartime survival story from John Boorman. The two men find themselves stranded together on an otherwise deserted island, and at least through the first hour, trade blows back and forth. This becomes a little tiring, but things pick up in the final third once the two men finally stop their bickering and decide to work together instead. It all leads up to a fairly inexplicable ending though, one of the more hilarious examples of boneheaded studio interference you're likely to find anywhere. The DVD contains an alternate, and probably the actual, ending, which while not revelatory, at least makes thematic sense with what comes before.

Film #20: Thor: The Dark World

As far as Marvel movies go (and I'm indifferent to most of them), this one is....watchable. The film isn't afraid to be a little goofy, which for me is a good thing; I don't think I could have handled an overly-serious Thor film. Tom Hiddleston, as always, steals the show. I wouldn't call this great, or even particularly good, and I have no intention of ever seeing it again. But I did enjoy it enough while it was on.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:

Film #14: Flirting

There's been so many lukewarm coming-of-age tales in recent years, it's refreshing to see one that's done right. This is a delightful film, its teenage cast navigating all the requisite waters and more with ease. I also appreciate how the film doesn't shy away from having the real world intrude on the central romance.

Yes! I loved this movie so much and always try to spread the love of it. Have you read Ebert's review of it? It's one of his wonderful, appreciate-a-little-known-film ones. Also, if you can find the prequel (The Year My Voice Broke) it's very good too, though not as good.

Blonde Almond wrote:
Film #19: Hell In The Pacific

Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune headline this 1968 wartime survival story from John Boorman. The two men find themselves stranded together on an otherwise deserted island, and at least through the first hour, trade blows back and forth. This becomes a little tiring, but things pick up in the final third once the two men finally stop their bickering and decide to work together instead. It all leads up to a fairly inexplicable ending though, one of the more hilarious examples of boneheaded studio interference you're likely to find anywhere. The DVD contains an alternate, and probably the actual, ending, which while not revelatory, at least makes thematic sense with what comes before.

I liked this one -- could you describe the alternate ending? Use a spoiler shade if need be

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:31 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Yes! I loved this movie so much and always try to spread the love of it. Have you read Ebert's review of it? It's one of his wonderful, appreciate-a-little-known-film ones. Also, if you can find the prequel (The Year My Voice Broke) it's very good too, though not as good.

Predecessor, you mean... since it was made BEFORE "Flirting" (in addition to taking place before it). :ugeek:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Film #15: The Mosquito Coast

I already recounted some of the problems I had with this in the 2014 Viewing Journal thread, and there's not much more I can say about it. Harrison Ford is the film's standout element, but also its greatest problem.

It has the same sort of 'Man obsessed by a mission virtually to the point of madness which drives wedge between him and his family' as the recent "Noah." Both films definitely have their flaws, but are still nonetheless worth a look.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am
Critic

H.I. McDonough wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Predecessor, you mean... since it was made BEFORE "Flirting" (in addition to taking place before it). :ugeek:

You are completely correct

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next