Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:25 pm

June Challenge, my fellow warriors of cinema 
Critic

Post June Challenge, my fellow warriors of cinema
I started keeping track of my movies when I went to college in September of 2004. The idea was to watch one new movie a week, and I've of course greatly exceeded that. I chart by week and by month, and so of course I start noticing patterns. Since in the ten years I've always been a student or a teacher, my ebbs and flows are pretty consistent. But June is the most consistent of all.

You see, in the years I've been keeping movie lists, a 20 movie month has always been the gold standard of an excellent movie month. I've had 30s of course, and in one memorable November I even had 50 (ahhhhh those were the days) but 20 has remained the benchmark. And I've never had a June without 20. So even though I have far more days of school due to the goddamn snow, and even though I'm heading to Asia on June 21st, and even though I still have friends who want to spend time with me....I'm going to make this shit happen, and SO ARE YOU.

Twenty movies. June. Let's fucking do it.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:31 pm
Producer

Post Re: June Challenge, my fellow warriors of cinema
New watches only or do rewatches count as well?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 am
Second Unit Director

Ah, dear JamesKunz, don't you know that the World Cup is starting in two weeks? I'm more likely to watch 20 matches of football this month than 20 movies.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 am
Producer

Good point, Unke. Good point for us!

But this is a US based forum. The World Cup perhaps means about as much as World's Strongest Pet ... or World Egg and Spoon Race.

American apathy over ... ahem ...'soccer' is almost bottomless in my experience

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:05 am
Producer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-o5-9ipOLM

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:

But this is a US based forum. The World Cup perhaps means about as much as World's Strongest Pet ... or World Egg and Spoon Race.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nations-soccer-fan-becoming-insufferable,17553/

Well you homos can do as you like, BUT I'M WATCHING TWENTY MOVIES!

And no, rewatches do not count.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:34 am
Cinematographer

I'm in for this, mostly because it's only June 3rd and I've already seen 3 new movies:

Cold in July - thoughts already in Baelzar's thread

Maleficent - Jolie is very good, but the movie is not. The story has a bunch of revisionist ideas, none of which are fully explored, outside of turning the title character into something vaguely resembling a tragic hero. It results in a really uneven movie that is more annoying than anything. And Sharlito Copley is fucking awful.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005) - I haven't seen the Hitchcock version, but I dug this one. It's fun, and funny, and has some clever moments. It's very wink, wink, nudge, nudge, but that self-awareness works given the ridiculousness of the story. It's a kind of silly escapism that movie star movies do well.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:27 pm
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

You may underestimate the growth of soccerball in the U.S. According to a certain Jürgen Klinsmann, coach of Team USA, the MLS is close to overtaking ice hockey in popularity. I still do hope that you are right and that the American apathy towards the Beautiful Game extends to their team at the World Cup as well. It's tricky enough to negotiate a group with CR7's Portugal and Ghana, arguably Africa's strongest team. Don't need North and Central America's best team to put in much of an effort.

After all, didn't your rebel cousins from over the pond invent all these ballgames so they wouldn't have to compete with the rest of the world? It's quite the opposite approach to you Britons, really, with you inventing all these sports like rugby and cricket only to get beaten by your antipodean penal colonies on a regular basis.

You can tell that World Cup fever is rising with all these national stereotypes coming up. Expect further references to Dutch infighting, the French downing their tools or England losing on penalties in the quarterfinals in the coming weeks.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 am
Producer

Unke wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

You may underestimate the growth of soccerball in the U.S. According to a certain Jürgen Klinsmann, coach of Team USA, the MLS is close to overtaking ice hockey in popularity. I still do hope that you are right and that the American apathy towards the Beautiful Game extends to their team at the World Cup as well. It's tricky enough to negotiate a group with CR7's Portugal and Ghana, arguably Africa's strongest team. Don't need North and Central America's best team to put in much of an effort.

After all, didn't your rebel cousins from over the pond invent all these ballgames so they wouldn't have to compete with the rest of the world? It's quite the opposite approach to you Britons, really, with you inventing all these sports like rugby and cricket only to get beaten by your antipodean penal colonies on a regular basis.

You can tell that World Cup fever is rising with all these national stereotypes coming up. Expect further references to Dutch infighting, the French downing their tools or England losing on penalties in the quarterfinals in the coming weeks.

We did invent them, but became too stretched to become good at all of them.

Look at it this way, Cricket, Tennis and Rugby are seldom played by working class kids. When I went to Australia, there were kids in the parks playing cricket and Tennis of their own volition! I hardly ever see that in England. There are local teams here in Lancashire, but it's not a street-level sport. It just doesn't get the numbers. 95% of Brits don't understand the rules of Cricket, and don't give a shit. 95% of Brits or more have never held a Tennis Racquet. In Australia they are serious sports.

This of course doesn't explain why we're so shit a football, which everyone plays. Perhaps the organisation of the Premiership contributes. I remember watching an Arsenal game that had more Germans than English in its lineup ... 1

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:01 am
Assistant Director

I'd love to do this one, but just can't see it happening (don't think I've ever manged 20 in a month). Watching like way too much TV lately. Only a 30 day month too. Never know though.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:32 am
Second Unit Director

Guys, I'm gonna give this one my best shot. 20 in a month is a dream... let's make this shit a reality.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:13 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
I'd love to do this one, but just can't see it happening (don't think I've ever manged 20 in a month). Watching like way too much TV lately. Only a 30 day month too. Never know though.

That's not the nuttage I expect from you Nitrium!

Gedmud wrote:
Guys, I'm gonna give this one my best shot. 20 in a month is a dream... let's make this shit a reality.

Right on, nutty mothafucka

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:30 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Wahhhh. Well I'll give it a good try, but I'm assuming we don't have to do write-ups this time?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:44 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Wahhhh. Well I'll give it a good try, but I'm assuming we don't have to do write-ups this time?

There's never a write-up REQUIREMENT, it's just obviously part of the spirit of things sometimes. Do as you like, my mineral friend

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:32 am
Second Unit Director

By the time I go to sleep tonight I should have 6 movies finished. On pace for 30! The pace always slows though...

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:21 pm
Critic

Gedmud wrote:
By the time I go to sleep tonight I should have 6 movies finished. On pace for 30! The pace always slows though...

Not if you DON'T LET IT SLOW!

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:51 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Not if you DON'T LET IT SLOW!

Shit cardio and a 3 day work vacation may be a hinderance. 7 for 7 right now though!

Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:17 pm
Assistant Director

I'm halfway there! 8-)

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:48 pm
Cinematographer

You guys are killing it! I'm at 6, which will hopefully rise to 8 after tonight. And no, that's not a euphemism for me getting a boner.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:48 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
You guys are killing it! I'm at 6, which will hopefully rise to 8 after tonight. And no, that's not a euphemism for me getting a boner.

You would have a weird member indeed if bonerdom only gave you a 33% increase in size over flaccidity.

I'm at 8 as well. On a good pace!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:19 am