Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 pm

June Challenge, my fellow warriors of cinema 
Auteur

Post Re: June Challenge, my fellow warriors of cinema
H.I. McDonough wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Yes! I loved this movie so much and always try to spread the love of it. Have you read Ebert's review of it? It's one of his wonderful, appreciate-a-little-known-film ones. Also, if you can find the prequel (The Year My Voice Broke) it's very good too, though not as good.

Predecessor, you mean... since it was made BEFORE "Flirting" (in addition to taking place before it). :ugeek:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Film #15: The Mosquito Coast

I already recounted some of the problems I had with this in the 2014 Viewing Journal thread, and there's not much more I can say about it. Harrison Ford is the film's standout element, but also its greatest problem.

It has the same sort of 'Man obsessed by a mission virtually to the point of madness which drives wedge between him and his family' as the recent "Noah." Both films definitely have their flaws, but are still nonetheless worth a look.
Mosquito Coast was for me far superior to Noah, haven't read the source material so I can't really make comparisons there, but the only time I can think where I would've prefered a film be more true to it's source material was American Psycho, I felt that film deviated a bit too much from the book and not really for the better.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:58 pm