Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reappraising a 00s movie 
Producer

Post Re: Reappraising a 00s movie
Haven't seen either one in forever, but if Minority Report was overpraised (maybe just a little), then perhaps AI was underpraised. I remember it being a tremendously affecting movie, though I'm not sure I was ready for it yet as a filmgoer.

Fri May 09, 2014 5:12 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Haven't seen either one in forever, but if Minority Report was overpraised (maybe just a little), then perhaps AI was underpraised. I remember it being a tremendously affecting movie, though I'm not sure I was ready for it yet as a filmgoer.

I rewatched Minority Report the other month. It's largely fantastic, but the last 20 minutes aren't so great

Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

I rewatched Minority Report the other month. It's largely fantastic, but the last 20 minutes aren't so great

Yep, as usual, Spielberg lays on the schmaltz pretty thick at the end. :?

Fri May 09, 2014 7:22 pm
Critic

H.I. McDonough wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

Yep, as usual, Spielberg lays on the schmaltz pretty thick at the end. :?

It's actually not *schmaltzy,* really, just conventional

Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm
Director

Minority Report is a great whodunit mindfuck though. One of his most intensely energized movies.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:34 pm
Cinematographer

If the idea is to reevaluate one of those, I would probably go for Gangs of New York, mostly because it's the only one I really didn't like and I haven't seen it in years.

As for the others, I own and love these...

1. Memento
2. Mystic River
3. Children of Men
4. There Will Be Blood
7. The Prestige

Saw and liked a lot...

5. Gone Baby Gone
8. Gladiator

I'm lukewarm towards Juno, and I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

I've heard a theory that the last 20 minutes of Minority Report are actually just taking place in Anderton's mind. I'd have to re-watch the film to see if I interpret it this way, since I haven't seen it in about ten years.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 pm
Producer

People do love that theory, don't they? Seems like it gets applied to half the movies in the known universe.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:35 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
People do love that theory, don't they? Seems like it gets applied to half the movies in the known universe.

For real. I remember thinking it was really cool the first time but then I got tired of it.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I'd vote for Gladiator as I simply cannot believe a film that terrible managed to win Best Picture, so it's very much in need of a re-assesment.

Isn't that re-assesment already well underway, or maybe even done? I thought that it was the consensus that its selection as Best Picture was a big mistake, and that it was one of the worst movies to win the award.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 am
Auteur

dps wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I'd vote for Gladiator as I simply cannot believe a film that terrible managed to win Best Picture, so it's very much in need of a re-assesment.

Isn't that re-assesment already well underway, or maybe even done? I thought that it was the consensus that its selection as Best Picture was a big mistake, and that it was one of the worst movies to win the award.

I haven't heard too many people question how it won best picture or call it one of the worst films to win the award(though I certainly agree that it is), at least not on the level of say Shakespeare In Love winning over Saving Private Ryan.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:20 am
Producer

Gladiator was not my favorite of 2000 but it is my favorite of the five films that were nominated. In fact, the only other movie that comes close and is also in my top 10 was Traffic.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:32 am
Assistant Director

The initial vote for Gladiator may have been induced by "this movie sucks so let's see if we can all get on the same page" but I think it's a good choice exactly because, just like (apparently) Street Fighter or any number of other movies, the actual movie that is Gladiator may have gotten lost for all the awards buzz, disappointment over more deserving films getting less respect than deserved, and other debris that changes Gladiator from a movie to A Big Suck. Which it still could be. Any movie deserves a fair chance and Gladiator isn't any different. Who knows? It might be pretty good! It might not be! Isn't the point of this exercise to determine whether or not Gladiator is any good outside of the Oscars and other ornaments that make things go from 'okay' to 'overrated! :lol: sucksuck'? It'll be like watching it for the first time, in a way.

Naturally, this applies to any movie. Still, the point holds.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:47 am
Director

Ken wrote:

Thanks for saying this. People can play around with the theory for 100s of movies should they wish, but it has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of any individual film. It's childish, really :?

Sat May 10, 2014 1:59 am
Producer

I decree that Minority Report and AI are acceptable choices for this here project, as long as votes are in by Sunday night (forum time).

(Although i'll have to buy either one I think)

Sat May 10, 2014 2:47 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
It's actually not *schmaltzy,* really, just conventional

I'd call Samantha Morton's 'There's so much love in this house' monologue the epitome of schmaltzy. :|

Sat May 10, 2014 9:07 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:

Thirded. Simply put, this wasn't a very good movie period. Any of the other films should have won (and considering "Gladiator's" lack of quality, probably a lot of others that weren't nominated). For me, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" should have won, hands down.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat May 10, 2014 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Mark III wrote:
I would have liked to see Minority Report get a second look as it was beloved instantly and never seemed all that wonderful.

Not a bad call actually. I probably should have weighed in with that ahead of 1 or 2 up there

AI too

Minority Report is a really good movie. A very good one, at times bordering on great. But it just doesn't have the extra "it" to make it a classic.

There Will Be Blood and Million Dollar Baby were both extremely overrated. Clint Eastwood's drama was too self-important and tried to be a "classic." The ending was especially afflicted by this. And "There Will Be Blood" was just awful. Daniel Plainview was just not interesting.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat May 10, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Minority Report never really did it for me. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember its premise not holding against close scrutiny, plus I really didn't like how Spielberg executed some sequences.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat May 10, 2014 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Thief12 wrote:
Minority Report never really did it for me. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember its premise not holding against close scrutiny, plus I really didn't like how Spielberg executed some sequences.

My main issue with the film is that the big "twist" dosen't really make a whole lot of sense if you think about it.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next