Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Reappraising a 00s movie 
Producer

Post Reappraising a 00s movie
A couple of years ago, we had a brief project on here to reappraise a critical bomb, and Streetfighter won the poll.

In line with our best of the 00s thread on the 'Lists' forum, and looking at how people's opinions have changed in the last 5 years, I thought it would be a good idea to reappraise a film considered successful from that era.

If I may, I'll give a shortlist of 10, and we can just vote openly on this thread by say, Sunday, with a further week-to-10 days to watch it.

A proposed shortlist of 10 films that were popular at the time, and that could be ripe for reassessment -

1. Memento
2. Mystic River
3. Children of Men
4. There Will Be Blood
5. Gone Baby Gone
6. Million Dollar Baby
7. The Prestige
8. Gladiator
9. Gangs of New York
10. Juno

Not an exhaustive list, I may have missed some howlers. But I've tended to avoid films I think we'd all agree were great, and tried to lean towards films that may have at least changed in people's estimations.

Thu May 08, 2014 4:51 am
Auteur

Post Re: Reappraising a 00s movie
I'd vote for Gladiator as I simply cannot believe a film that terrible managed to win Best Picture, so it's very much in need of a re-assesment.

Thu May 08, 2014 5:03 am
Producer

Duly noted

Thu May 08, 2014 5:04 am
Director

Believe it or not, I think Memento is far and away the best of those 10. I don't think it's great, very flawed, but the most interesting of those 10.

The other nine I never liked much to begin with. Mystic River I liked in the theater 11 years ago, since then not so much.

Thu May 08, 2014 5:06 am
Producer

Memento is a choice I think a few will go for.

Thu May 08, 2014 5:07 am
Producer

Gladiator and Memento are my favorite of the movies listed. I love most of the movies on the list though. Own most of them too. In fact, only two of those I don't own on DVD or Blu-Ray. The two being Juno and Million Dollar Baby. Loved Juno. Wouldn't mind revisiting it again to see if it holds up. Maybe Million Dollar Baby. I find the movie to be okay, but egregiously overrated. But I haven't seen it since it was in theaters. Who knows if my mind has changed about it.

The Prestige, There Will Be Blood and Children of Men might also be fun ones to revisit. When I initially saw The Prestige, I liked it a lot, but I wasn't crazy about the whole cloning thing. Maybe I may change my mind though? As for There Will Be Blood, it's a great, compelling,compulsively watchable movie but I felt it fell a part in the last 10 minutes in the bowling alley scene. That whole scene, including the famous milk shake line, felt too over the top. It felt like it belonged in a different movie. But I still love the movie. I'd love to revisit it.

And yes, Memento is always a fun movie to revisit, with how brilliantly structured that movie.

Thu May 08, 2014 5:54 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
As for There Will Be Blood, it's a great, compelling,compulsively watchable movie but I felt it fell a part in the last 10 minutes in the bowling alley scene. That whole scene, including the famous milk shake line, felt too over the top. It felt like it belonged in a different movie.

Funny, that ending totally made the film for me. :|

Thu May 08, 2014 6:43 am
Cinematographer

Just a thought - if we're reconsidering a movie, wouldn't it offer more benefit to pick something you felt lukewarm on, or hated, as opposed to loved? I think Memento is a favorite of a lot of people (it's certainly my favorite from that list), but I'm not so sure there will be much actual reconsidering taking place with that movie so much as watching it and talking about how much we like/love it.

With that in mind, I'm torn between There Will Be Blood, Children of Men, and Million Dollar Baby. All mostly good movies that I found severely overrated upon their release, but had ardent defenders all over the place. I'll go with Million Dollar Baby because it's the one I remember the least about, and the one that consistently surprises me with how well-regarded it is.

Thu May 08, 2014 9:40 am
Second Unit Director

Any PTA movie is always ripe for a rewatch, so I think I'll go with There Will Be Blood. Although I wouldn't mind taking another look at Children of Men as well.

Thu May 08, 2014 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Pete -

I agree with your formula, but I would say that despite its cultish status, Memento broadly falls in that remit.

Thu May 08, 2014 9:50 am
Director

I'm torn between the two Best Picture winners here: GLADIATOR and MILLION DOLLAR BABY. It's been a long time since I've watched either, but their status as BP winners makes for an interesting re-evaluation.

Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 am
Producer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
As for There Will Be Blood, it's a great, compelling,compulsively watchable movie but I felt it fell a part in the last 10 minutes in the bowling alley scene. That whole scene, including the famous milk shake line, felt too over the top. It felt like it belonged in a different movie.

Funny, that ending totally made the film for me. :|

I thought it started falling apart with the "Bastard in a Basket" scene.

Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 am
Cinematographer

I didn't like either Million Dollar Baby or Mystic River - both were depressing enough that I'm not even willing to re-watch them. I haven't seen Children of Men or The Prestige. Really liked Gladiator and Memento.

My vote would be for There Will Be Blood or Gone Baby Gone. Neither made much impression on me at the time but were very highly regarded by others .

Thu May 08, 2014 12:27 pm
Producer

I would go with Mystic River, given that I was somewhat impressed by it--a nicely done crime story--but I was baffled when it became a critical favorite and started raking in award noms. I don't think I've seen it since that time. Maybe there's something I missed.

I also think The Prestige is a good candidate, given that it seems to be Nolan's last movie before he gained his reputation as the geek' s auteur that he has enjoyed ever since.

Thu May 08, 2014 12:46 pm
Auteur

PeachyPete wrote:
Just a thought - if we're reconsidering a movie, wouldn't it offer more benefit to pick something you felt lukewarm on, or hated, as opposed to loved? I think Memento is a favorite of a lot of people (it's certainly my favorite from that list), but I'm not so sure there will be much actual reconsidering taking place with that movie so much as watching it and talking about how much we like/love it.

With that in mind, I'm torn between There Will Be Blood, Children of Men, and Million Dollar Baby. All mostly good movies that I found severely overrated upon their release, but had ardent defenders all over the place. I'll go with Million Dollar Baby because it's the one I remember the least about, and the one that consistently surprises me with how well-regarded it is.

I'd be fine with re-evaluating MDB as well, i'm surprised as hell that Hilary Swank won an Oscar for that film, she was nowhere near as good there as she was in "Boys Don't Cry". I found it to be an extremely forgettable boxing film with an especially weak final 15 minutes.

Thu May 08, 2014 1:57 pm
Critic

I think Eastwood has made very durable films. I'd be down for a Mystic River rewatch, but I'd be happy with any of these really

Thu May 08, 2014 8:23 pm
Assistant Director

I would have liked to see Minority Report get a second look as it was beloved instantly and never seemed all that wonderful. Overlong and slow. Maybe I'll trek out on that one on my lonesome.

I'll vote Gladiator. Because why not.

Fri May 09, 2014 1:06 pm
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
I would have liked to see Minority Report get a second look as it was beloved instantly and never seemed all that wonderful. Overlong and slow. Maybe I'll trek out on that one on my lonesome.

I'll vote Gladiator. Because why not.

Minority Report was decent, but I was awfully surprised to see it end up on so many people's "best of 2002" lists, for me it was mostly certainly not Spielberg's finest hour.

Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 pm
Producer

It was my number one of that year, and still of the decade. Whale Rider is its chief competition.

Fri May 09, 2014 2:09 pm
Producer

Mark III wrote:
I would have liked to see Minority Report get a second look as it was beloved instantly and never seemed all that wonderful.

Not a bad call actually. I probably should have weighed in with that ahead of 1 or 2 up there

AI too

Fri May 09, 2014 4:45 pm