Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reappraising a 00s movie 
Producer

Post Re: Reappraising a 00s movie
Vexer wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Minority Report never really did it for me. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember its premise not holding against close scrutiny, plus I really didn't like how Spielberg executed some sequences.

My main issue with the film is that the big "twist" dosen't really make a whole lot of sense if you think about it.

Why not? I thought it was pretty damn clever.

Sat May 10, 2014 7:02 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Minority Report never really did it for me. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember its premise not holding against close scrutiny, plus I really didn't like how Spielberg executed some sequences.

My main issue with the film is that the big "twist" dosen't really make a whole lot of sense if you think about it.

Why not? I thought it was pretty damn clever.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16625_8-classic-movies-that-got-away-with-gaping-plot-holes.html

Sat May 10, 2014 7:43 pm
Producer

moviemkr7 wrote:
There Will Be Blood and Million Dollar Baby were both extremely overrated. Clint Eastwood's drama was too self-important and tried to be a "classic." The ending was especially afflicted by this

Explain.

Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 am
Director

Of the ones listed I own and like

Mystic River
Million Dollar Baby
Children of Men
Gone Baby Gone

Actually the first two I own as part of the Essential Eastwood Director's Collection pack which also contains Unforgiven and Letters From Iwo Jima,

Memento
There Will Be Blood
The Prestige
Gladiator
Gangs of New York
Juno

Memento is one I admire. But can't quite love the way I love Dark City and Minority Report. There Will Be Blood is a great movie. But unlike Anderson's Magnolia or Boogie Nights I rarely feel the urge to re-watch it. Never got around to seeing The Prestige. Gangs Of New York is one of Scorsese's lesser films or I thought it was when I saw it. I admired his ambition. But it doesn't reach the pinnacle of greatness where Goodfellas and Taxi Driver reside. That might be the best choice for re-evaluation. I always found Juno overrated and Reitman's previous film Thank You For Smoking underrated. Although nowadays, the latter film seems to have founds its audience. And Gladiator is a well-done epic sword and sandal popcorn movie. Nothing more. An enjoyable movie. But not the best picture of that year. Top ten maybe as 2000 was pretty dire as far as mainstream American films were concerned. But when ti comes to ancient sword epics, I prefer Braveheart.

So I would select either Gangs Of New York or Gladiator.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun May 11, 2014 1:57 am
Producer

Looks like Gladiator is winning so far

Sun May 11, 2014 4:05 am
Critic

Vexer wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Clearly you (and Cracked) missed the point -- you can't perfectly predict the future, because free will still exists.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:20 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Clearly you (and Cracked) missed the point -- you can't perfectly predict the future, because free will still exists.

*nods solemnly; adjusts smoking jacket and puffs bubble pipe*

Sun May 11, 2014 11:37 am
Auteur

Maybe not, but parts of the film still come across as more then a little hard-to-swallow, so I don't think they "missed the point".

Sun May 11, 2014 1:08 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
There Will Be Blood and Million Dollar Baby were both extremely overrated. Clint Eastwood's drama was too self-important and tried to be a "classic." The ending was especially afflicted by this

Explain.

Idk how to put it into words. Million Dollar Baby had that same feeling of prestige about it like many classic movies do, but it was really ordinary. I felt nothing for the characters and they were all cliches. There Will Be Blood is just plain boring.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun May 11, 2014 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I had a wine fueled conversation with my Dad last week, and although he likes film, he's much more of a theatre man. And has seen all the top dogs in England (Hopkins, Irons, Dench, Price, etc) live on stage.

He thinks Day-Lewis has everyone fooled in Hollywood. Not saying I 100% agree by any means, but it has weighed on me

Sun May 11, 2014 5:59 pm
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I had a wine fueled conversation with my Dad last week, and although he likes film, he's much more of a theatre man. And has seen all the top dogs in England (Hopkins, Irons, Dench, Price, etc) live on stage.

He thinks Day-Lewis has everyone fooled in Hollywood. Not saying I 100% agree by any means, but it has weighed on me

Oh I'm not saying that I don't like Daniel Day-Lewis. I think he is a great actor (Gangs of New York was awesome, particularly because Bill the Butcher was such a brilliant character and performance). I just didn't like There Will Be Blood. Or Lincoln for that matter.

Sun May 11, 2014 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Yeah I would call Lincoln the dryest, most boring, weakest film of Spielbergs long career which was discouraging to see. There Will Be Blood...also pretty boring and in my mind, forgettable. Million Dollar Baby...best scene was when Morgan Freeman kicked the guy's ass.

Sun May 11, 2014 7:34 pm
Producer

Incidentally, I rewatched Gone Baby Gone on Saturday (not by design, it was just on TV) and although I still think it is a very well-acted film with some great scenes, some of the dialogue is hammy as hell. Especially the old-timer wisdom from Morgan Freeman's chief of police character.

The film hinges on some great moments (that Director Ben Affleck deserves credit for) and very, very good turns by Casey Affleck, Ed Harris, and Amy Ryan (who plays a despicable hag)

Wed May 21, 2014 4:43 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
Incidentally, I rewatched Gone Baby Gone on Saturday (not by design, it was just on TV) and although I still think it is a very well-acted film with some great scenes, some of the dialogue is hammy as hell. Especially the old-timer wisdom from Morgan Freeman's chief of police character.

The film hinges on some great moments (that Director Ben Affleck deserves credit for) and very, very good turns by Casey Affleck, Ed Harris, and Amy Ryan (who plays a despicable hag)

See I like the old-timer wisdom from Morgan Freeman because it sets him up as a Morgan Freeman type who is above suspicion, but then of course

[Reveal] Spoiler:
He turns out to be the kidnapper, albeit a sympathetic one

Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

See I like the old-timer wisdom from Morgan Freeman because it sets him up as a Morgan Freeman type who is above suspicion, but then of course

[Reveal] Spoiler:
He turns out to be the kidnapper, albeit a sympathetic one

It's not actually that that bothered me.

It's lines like "he may look young, but he better not act it".

Wed May 21, 2014 11:16 am
Producer

Gone Baby Gone is still my favorite of the 3 movies that Ben Affleck has directed. It's a gripping thriller with a plot that twists and turns in unpredictable ways but the twists aren't there simply to shock you. They actually make sense and are integral to the story. The twists actually add layers to the movie. Plus, the moral dilemma that the Casey Affleck character faces at the end is a fascinating one. There are some who think he did the right thing, whiles other don't think so. I'm personally in the former camp. But either way, you gotta admire a movie like that. And the ending is haunting. Great flick. One of the best of 2007 and that was a year full of great movies.

Thu May 22, 2014 4:27 am
Assistant Director

Moving on...

Juno: Never particularly cared for it. It wasn't particularly biting or romantic, and I don't like Ellen Page. The way her voice quivers makes it seem like she's trying too hard to be "not acting," and her precocious characters annoy me. Plus, it started the horrid trend of every character being a deadpan antisocial misfit obsessed with the most random crap. For example, there was far too much dialogue about the Mom wanting a Weimereiner. Why a Weimereiner? Because she's allergic to dog spit. If that's not TOO CUTE, I don't know what is.

Thu May 22, 2014 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I think Ellen Page is excellent in Juno.

But it's one of those performances I think may typecast her forever.

Thu May 22, 2014 5:32 am
Producer

I like Page a lot in that film but, to me, it's the supporting performances that make that movie for me. Particularly great are J.K. Simmons, Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman. Loved all 3 of those performances. They all deserved Oscar nominations IMO.

Thu May 22, 2014 6:01 am
Assistant Director

ilovemovies wrote:
I like Page a lot in that film but, to me, it's the supporting performances that make that movie for me. Particularly great are J.K. Simmons, Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman. Loved all 3 of those performances. They all deserved Oscar nominations IMO.

Agreed on J.K. Simmons. If anyone in that movie deserved an Oscar nomination, it was him. He didn't get one, but his career certainly has seen a boost.

Thu May 22, 2014 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next