Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Terribly written movie lines 
Critic

Post Re: Terribly written movie lines
NotHughGrant wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
I don't know about G.I. Jane, I only saw an edited for television version of that movie. But in The Long Kiss Goodnight there is definitely a scene where Gena Davis says, "suck my dick, all you bastards!" It always made me laugh that she said that since, unless she's a hermaphrodite, she doesn't have a dick. :lol:

My female students have been known to tell each other to "suck my dick" when they get really annoyed, for what it's worth. There's really no other adequate expression that captures the feeling, so I don't blame them

No other adequate expression than a female student saying 'suck my d!ck'?

Hellfire, Kunzo! The English language is breathtaking in its scope and complexity. 'Suck my d!ck' ain;t the best expression in any situation

I'm not saying it's the best, but the phrase "suck my dick" (or "blow me," an accepted variant) have no female or gender-neutral equivalent. "Fuck off" is somewhat similar, but not quite the same.

Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 am
Director

patrick wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
I might have imagined this, but didn't Geena Davis say

Quote:
suck my cock

in the Long Kiss Goodnight.

Terrible!!

I thought that was Demi Moore in GI Jane who said that one.

It was "dick" in GI Jane. I always thought it was an odd thing for a woman to say.

Tue May 06, 2014 10:00 am
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:

It was "dick" in GI Jane. I always thought it was an odd thing for a woman to say.

Well I actually thought it made perfect sense as a line in GI Jane: she's trying to assert her equality with a bunch of hyper-masculine Navy Seals, so she uses a quintessentially masculine retort

Tue May 06, 2014 11:18 am
Auteur

I have no problem with female characters saying something like that

I agree on the TDK line, i'm sure it sounded good on paper, but in execution it just sounded very dumb.

Tue May 06, 2014 2:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Julianne Moore's "suck my dick" line in Magnolia was directed at a guy who was being a horrific asshole (how he has a job at a pharmacy I'll never know) and also came on the heels of the pharmacist calling her "lady" which really set her off, so I thought the line made some level of sense in context. Gay baiting perhaps, but did its job. Not to mention that I just love her delivery of it, it's like "YOU SUCK... my dick!" emphasizing the first two like the dick part was more of an afterthought to enhance the insult. It's a delicious scene.

Fri May 09, 2014 4:48 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
I agree on the TDK line, i'm sure it sounded good on paper, but in execution it just sounded very dumb.

This is an interesting observation, and you can see the same problem in a number of other movies--Gran Torino, for one.

The issue is that screenwriters have to overwrite dialogue. That's their primary tool. In a screenplay, dialogue is 90% what you have to work with to tell the story. Much of it is never intended to be spoken--it is intended to guide the director and the actors in making the movie.

Paul Schrader has pointed out that Taxi Driver originally had a lot more dialogue--more stuff about loneliness, particularly--but Scorsese and De Niro found other ways to express that stuff besides just talking about it onscreen. So they got rid of a bunch of it. That's the best way to do it. You know the movie's working when you can get rid of a bunch of lines, particularly the really on-the-nose stuff, and the movie still expresses those ideas without those lines. Conversely, if those lines make it into the movie, then perhaps the movie's not doing a good enough job.

The Dark Knight is full of lines that should never have been spoken. They would be better left as subtext. Example: "Know your limits." Come on. The movie expresses that just fine on its own, or at least it should.

Fri May 09, 2014 5:10 pm
Director

" But I was a better man with you, as a woman... than I ever was with a woman, as a man. You know what I mean? "--Tootsie. I know what he means, but he can't deliver that line. Which I guess is the point. Great movie, though.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:23 pm
Auteur

Gwaihir wrote:
Julianne Moore's "suck my dick" line in Magnolia was directed at a guy who was being a horrific asshole (how he has a job at a pharmacy I'll never know) and also came on the heels of the pharmacist calling her "lady" which really set her off, so I thought the line made some level of sense in context. Gay baiting perhaps, but did its job. Not to mention that I just love her delivery of it, it's like "YOU SUCK... my dick!" emphasizing the first two like the dick part was more of an afterthought to enhance the insult. It's a delicious scene.

Don't really see how it was "gay baiting" :?

Sat May 10, 2014 12:16 am
Director

Ken wrote:
The Dark Knight is full of lines that should never have been spoken. They would be better left as subtext. Example: "Know your limits." Come on. The movie expresses that just fine on its own, or at least it should.

The very sporadic narration in "Little Children" almost ruined the film for me -- particularly because it often just described what the characters were conveying just fine onscreen. :?

Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 am
Cinematographer

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single service ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuously, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished. "

From 1966's Batman: The Movie where all the UN delegates have been bodyswapped and are arguing furiously at the end of the movie. I know, I know....the movie is supposed to be pure camp. But what is more inconspicuous? Two costumed superheroes exiting through a doorway, or two costumed superheroes climbing out an upper floor window. "Holy shit, those guys are jumping out the window!"

Tue May 13, 2014 2:28 pm
Producer

In the universe of this film, what could be more commonplace than seeing Batman and Robin rappelling down a building in broad daylight? Superheroes never take the door or the stairs or the elevator. That's just weird.

Yes, I know Spider-Man took the elevator in Spider-Man 2... and it was weird!

Tue May 13, 2014 3:51 pm
Second Unit Director

[b]A Bronx Tale. (1993)

Sonny: Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her.

Calogero 'C' Anello: Just like that?

Sonny: Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. You dump her and you dump her fast.

Why it's bad - Because it's meant to be taken serious and it's used as a climatic moment when "C" get's the young lass in his car. His father figure may have died, but this is meant to show that some of his teachings were sound advice. Also too, I don't think Italian people are represented to be the most intelligent race in a lot of the films that I've seen them depicted in. This line could be exhibit A in dumbing down their thoughts.

Sat May 17, 2014 7:05 am
Critic

wisey wrote:
[b]A Bronx Tale. (1993)

Sonny: Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her.

Sonny: Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. You dump her and you dump her fast.

Why it's bad - Because it's meant to be taken serious and it's used as a climatic moment when "C" get's the young lass in his car. His father figure may have died, but this is meant to show that some of his teachings were sound advice. Also too, I don't think Italian people are represented to be the most intelligent race in a lot of the films that I've seen them depicted in. This line could be exhibit A in dumbing down their thoughts.

I really hated this movie for the same reason. It seemed like "GREASEBALLS: The Movie" at times

Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
wisey wrote:
[b]A Bronx Tale. (1993)

I really hated this movie for the same reason. It seemed like "GREASEBALLS: The Movie" at times

That's not bad. I watched this the other night and wondered how Italian people would regard this film? It makes them look and sound like a bunch of dim witted thugs. I feel the same when I watch a lot of films set in outback Australia. The language that's spoke feels like it comes from Mars. I grew up in Shepparton, a country town in Victoria, before moving to the big smoke and have travelled practically right around Australia. I've never heard anyone speak with the accent John Jarratt does in Wolf Creek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrV8DGVSHpk, but I think alot of people from outside the land of Oz, think that's our accent?

Wake in Fright has a lot to answer for, and not just because I think it's one of the most disgusting films ever made. It has a Canadian director out of England, making (his first) outback Australian film that seems to be the benchmark for a lot of critics and film lovers who don't live down under. "His next film, Wake in Fright (1971), was made in Australia. It was the Australian entry in the Cannes Film Festival and many Australians still think it is the finest Australian film ever made and the beginning of the renaissance of the Australian cinema."

The part I've highlighted and quoted put together a bit of puzzle for me. (I should thank Major for that Five films, Five countries thread) If this is what brought about a renaissance in Australian cinema (it made no money in Australia when it came out incidentally), it helps me understand why I've always, even as a kid, disliked Australian films in general. I'd guess I've seen about 500 Australian films but would recommend less than 20. Out of that twenty it would be hard to nominate one four star masterpiece.

Back on topic.

Jackie Brown (1997).

Melanie Raiston (Bridget Fonda) says to Bob, "Do you want to fuck."

Why I don't like it - Most people love Tarantino films (I know I do) for the way he can incorporate so much of his cinematic library mind into cool dialogue and make it work. This exact same line was used in Shampoo (22 years earlier) in a very similar situation, with a more natural and funnier reaction from Warren Beatty. That's just poor plagiarism to my mind.

Sun May 18, 2014 9:59 am
Auteur

One line from "House Of 1000 Corpses" stood out in particular as badly written, forgot the context but the line is "You can shit two bricks for all I care", I dunno, just something about how it was written and delivered made it sound very stupid.

Sun May 18, 2014 1:16 pm
Critic

wisey wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
wisey wrote:
[b]A Bronx Tale. (1993)

That's not bad. I watched this the other night and wondered how Italian people would regard this film? It makes them look and sound like a bunch of dim witted thugs. I feel the same when I watch a lot of films set in outback Australia. The language that's spoke feels like it comes from Mars. I grew up in Shepparton, a country town in Victoria, before moving to the big smoke and have travelled practically right around Australia. I've never heard anyone speak with the accent John Jarratt does in Wolf Creek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrV8DGVSHpk, but I think alot of people from outside the land of Oz, think that's our accent?

Wake in Fright has a lot to answer for, and not just because I think it's one of the most disgusting films ever made. It has a Canadian director out of England, making (his first) outback Australian film that seems to be the benchmark for a lot of critics and film lovers who don't live down under. "His next film, Wake in Fright (1971), was made in Australia. It was the Australian entry in the Cannes Film Festival and many Australians still think it is the finest Australian film ever made and the beginning of the renaissance of the Australian cinema."

The part I've highlighted and quoted put together a bit of puzzle for me. (I should thank Major for that Five films, Five countries thread) If this is what brought about a renaissance in Australian cinema (it made no money in Australia when it came out incidentally), it helps me understand why I've always, even as a kid, disliked Australian films in general. I'd guess I've seen about 500 Australian films but would recommend less than 20. Out of that twenty it would be hard to nominate one four star masterpiece.

Interesting thoughts for sure. I quite like Australian films that I've seen. My four-star masterpiece would probably be Flirting, with Breaker Morant and The Square just behind.

Sun May 18, 2014 1:33 pm
Assistant Director

I shall destroy you! Memoirs of a Geisha

Only Gong Li could say that and make it sound good, but it's really cheesy (probably because the script had to be rewritten for the actresses who didn't speak English).

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon May 19, 2014 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

There are a number of Australian movies I quite enjoy such as Turkey Shoot(AKA Escape 2000), Razorback, Two Hands, Animal Kingdom, Dead-End Drive In, Red Hill, Tomorrow: When The War Began, Wolf Creek, The Castle, Romper Stomper, etc.

Fri May 30, 2014 12:46 pm