Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Let's watch some more movies: the May challenge! 
Critic

Post Let's watch some more movies: the May challenge!
Looking over the Viewing Journal I see that a lot of us had shitty Aprils. Nitrium got to 12. Unke bowed at 10. Ditto Mark. I only hit 8. Thief had a mere 5. Ken saw like -3. Baseball season, seasonal ennui, relatives visiting...whatever. We sucked. Except Peng. He rocked.

Anyway, I think we need a new challenge. I made one for November, other people had them for December and (I believe) February and they were a fun way to spur us all to watch more movies and push ourselves a little. So here's my challenge. It's a bit of a hybrid, but it involves pretty much everything that I like doing with movie-watching but don't when I'm feeling lazy.

I challenge us all to watch (at least)...
    -Three movies by the same director. Pick someone you like or perhaps want to learn more about and explore a little
    -One black and white movie
    -One 150+ minute movie
    -One foreign-language movie
    -One movie made before 1970
    -One Best Picture nominee (winner if possible)

Overlap is totally allowed -- you could watch La Dolce Vita and knock out 4 different categories in 1 -- and make sure to report on your findings so as to motivate your fellow movie-watchers.

To quote Louis Prothero: who's with me? Who's bloody with me?

Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 pm
Director

Post Re: Let's watch some more movies: the May challenge!
I had the advantage of Songkran festival holiday week for April, in which I was kept in the house by the insane heat wave and recent political rifts making me antsy about crowded public places.

In, of course. Now that I'm out of the brutal early Hitchcock phase (the master really took a long time to find himself), that first category would be a breeze.

Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Cinematographer

Sounds good. To my shame, I didn't get very far with Mark's pre-1930 challenge from March. Only saw two such films: The Cat And The Canary and The Kid. Neither of which did much of anything for me.

Thinking now of what filmmaker I should investigate further. Maybe some more Ozu, or some more Ozon.

Thu May 01, 2014 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Looking over the Viewing Journal I see that a lot of us had shitty Aprils. Nitrium got to 12. Unke bowed at 10. Ditto Mark. I only hit 8. Thief had a mere 5. Ken saw like -3. Baseball season, seasonal ennui, relatives visiting...whatever. We sucked. Except Peng. He rocked.

Anyway, I think we need a new challenge. I made one for November, other people had them for December and (I believe) February and they were a fun way to spur us all to watch more movies and push ourselves a little. So here's my challenge. It's a bit of a hybrid, but it involves pretty much everything that I like doing with movie-watching but don't when I'm feeling lazy.

-Three movies by the same director. Pick someone you like or perhaps want to learn more about and explore a little
    -One 150+ minute movie

Overlap is totally allowed -- you could watch La Dolce Vita and knock out 4 different categories in 1 -- and make sure to report on your findings so as to motivate your fellow movie-watchers.

You're being conservative. All you have to do is watch The Grand Illusion and a couple of other Renoirs and you've got five. Did he do any 150 minute films?

Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 pm
Producer

Prepare to see my nuts.

Fri May 02, 2014 1:28 am
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

-One 150+ minute movie

You're being conservative. All you have to do is watch The Grand Illusion and a couple of other Renoirs and you've got five. Did he do any 150 minute films?

Well personally I'm going to knock them out separately, but I don't want to alienate people who might not have as much time on their hands

Fri May 02, 2014 6:29 am
Critic

Ken wrote:
Prepare to see my nuts.

I will gladly see your nuts if YOU will see, you know, maybe a movie or two this month? :)

Fri May 02, 2014 6:30 am
Producer

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Such as my nuts.

Fri May 02, 2014 6:33 am
Second Unit Director

I love these challenges Kunz. I'm absolutely in. Keep them coming.

Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Director

Normally, challenges are tough this time of year because I'm neck-deep in the NBA and NHL playoffs, but this one will do nicely. I have a four-day weekend next week (May 9-12), so it'll be no problem. Updates to come.

Fri May 02, 2014 11:31 am
Director

I guess this month is as good as any to finally watch Blue is Warmest Color, which knocks out the 150+m and foreign category in a single blow.

Sat May 03, 2014 3:13 am
Critic

A Man and a Woman (1966)
Foreign Language/Pre-1970

Rating: ***

This movie, my first from Claude Lelouch, was apparently a big deal even in the states back in the mid-60s. It got four Oscar nominations, and won Best Original Screenplay and FL film. Plus it has Jean-Louis Trintignant, my boy from Z. I liked it well enough -- there's some very interesting photography, and If-like switches from black and white to color--but it didn't ever grab me by the shirttails and announce its brilliance.

Sat May 03, 2014 9:07 am
Director

Forgot to log the first one here.

Knife in the Water (1962)
black-and-white/foreign-language/made before 1970

Thought in the Last Movie You Watched thread.

Sat May 03, 2014 1:59 pm
Critic

In the House (2012)
Foreign Language

Rating: ***1/2

Ozon is my favorite contemporary French director (isn't it fun that extensive movie watching allows us to say such things?) and so I was happy to check this out on Instant. It's very interesting in the way that Stranger than Fiction is, both telling an engaging story and also exploring the nature of storytelling. In the House has a much harder edge than Stranger than Fiction, however, and has a different type of story to tell. It's less focused on sexuality and gender than most of Ozon's oeuvre, and might be an indication that he's finally leaving his enfant terrible days behind.

None of that matters nearly as much as the fact that this is a very interesting movie, and you should all watch it.

Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
It's less focused on sexuality and gender than most of Ozon's oeuvre, and might be an indication that he's finally leaving his enfant terrible days behind.

Those days are glorious! And with the very recent Young & Beautiful he still dabble in them.

As for In the House, it's one of those cases where I was really repulsed by a character (in this case, the teacher) that it crowded over the movie for me a bit. But it's indeed endlessly fascinating and squirmingly tense. And Ernst Umhauer as the teen is so, so good.

Sun May 04, 2014 9:18 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
It's less focused on sexuality and gender than most of Ozon's oeuvre, and might be an indication that he's finally leaving his enfant terrible days behind.

Those days are glorious! And with the very recent Young & Beautiful he still dabble in them.

As for In the House, it's one of those cases where I was really repulsed by a character (in this case, the teacher) that it crowded over the movie for me a bit. But it's indeed endlessly fascinating and squirmingly tense. And Ernst Umhauer as the teen is so, so good.

Oh don't get me wrong I love his wilder days. A filmmaker "maturing" is not always a good thing -- I respect The Master, but I LOVE Boogie Nights, you know?

Sun May 04, 2014 10:10 pm
Second Unit Director

I've had to take a leave of absence for a while, but I'm certainly ready to return. I'm in.

Sun May 04, 2014 10:59 pm
Critic

JackBurns wrote:
I've had to take a leave of absence for a while, but I'm certainly ready to return. I'm in.

That's my boy!

Sun May 04, 2014 11:18 pm
Second Unit Director

I love those challenges and thanks for the call to arms, but I'm afraid that it's very unlikely I'll make it.

Tue May 06, 2014 1:41 pm
Director

Alas, The Flat has too much English in it to qualify, though it has several other languages as well.

Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm