Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 am

James Cameron recently spoke on different topics 
Assistant Director

Post James Cameron recently spoke on different topics
James Cameron Talks 'Battle Angel', 'True Lies 2', 'Terminator' and 'Alien 5'

Two of the topics that caught my attention from quite a few he spoke in that article

MGamesCook will love this from JC in regarding his favorite guilty pleasure:

Quote:
"Oh, probably Resident Evil, the first one. I just like that film! You don't have to defend a guilty pleasure."
(I liked it too 8-) )

In regarding JC's opinion on the future of the film industry:

Quote:
"48 fps to me is not a format, it's a tool, like music it's good to use sparingly and in the right spot. I believe all movies should be made in 3D, forever, but the projection needs to be better, and brighter. I want people to see in the movie theaters what I am seeing in my perfectly calibrated screening room, and people aren't seeing that. Larger formats. I'd love to see screens get bigger. In terms of storytelling, I'd like to see Hollywood embrace the caliber of writing in feature films that we're currently seeing in the series on television - more emphasis on character, and less on explosions and pyrotechnics. And I'm talking the big tentpole movies, I think they're obnoxiously loud and fast....Not that I don't like loud fast scenes, I just don't like whole movies that are that way!

I personally would be very interested to find a way to incorporate VR and a narrative filmmaking experience. So a narrative directed experience that has individuated pathways where you have choices that you make in real-time, I think that would be a lot of fun. I think it would be very technically daunting and expensive, to do it as the same quality level as a typical feature, but it would be fun to experiment with. It sounds like a lot of fun. I don't think it would take over the feature film market though. I'm very familiar with VR, but I haven't seen the specific Oculus Rift device. I'm interested in it, I'm meant to see it sometime in the next month or so, but I've been familiar with VR since its inception. In fact, virtual reality is a way of describing the way we work on Avatar, we work in a virtual workspace all day long. We use a "virtual camera" which is how I create all the shots that are CG in the film, a window into a virtual reality that completely surrounds me."

Attachments:
JC.JPG
JC.JPG [ 17.39 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: James Cameron recently spoke on different topics
Cool shout out to RE. I'd love to see theater screens get bigger, but not for the purpose of VR. Real location shooting is always more exciting IMO.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:45 pm
Auteur

I don't think movies need to be in 3-D "forever" like he said, that would get tiresome very quickly, some of us prefer 2-D. I also wouldn't call Prometheus an "A-level Alien film" it's D-level at best.

I hope he changes his mind about True Lies 2, I think that kind of subject matter can still be pretty funny if it's handled correctly.

Three Avatar sequels? :o Oh man is that going to get old REAL fast.

Cool that he likes RE.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:22 pm
Producer

Movies are already in 3D in the sense that matters: the way that the human brain can take an image projected onto a flat surface and extrapolate it into a 3D space, which it does perfectly well without the need for stereoscopic imagery and chunky sunglasses.

What Cameron might try, and what limits this natural 3d effect that movies have already, is developing denser compositions with a greater sense of what's in the background, middle ground, and foreground in a way that creates interesting visual juxtapositions.

The current popular method of shooting movies is to limit the focus of the composition to just one plane of focus and one detail at a time, Avatar included. It's a poor way to make movies. It does not use the tools that movies uniquely offer. It limits our involvement, gives us less to chew on, especially if there are 3D glasses doing the work that our imaginations should be doing for us.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:02 am
Producer

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I prefer Resident Evil 2 to the first one. The second one is really the only one I enjoyed. Although the first one is OKAY. It's bettern 3 and beyond, all of which range from mediocre to outright terrible.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:48 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I prefer Resident Evil 2 to the first one. The second one is really the only one I enjoyed. Although the first one is OKAY. It's bettern 3 and beyond, all of which range from mediocre to outright terrible.

I prefer the 2nd film to the first one as well, but I have to strongly disagree with the sequels, I think they're kickass entertainment and i'm very excited for the sixth film.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 am
Director

The 2nd is a fun enough watch, but I don't see how anyone can claim it to be a good, or even decent piece of film direction. Alexander Witt is no director, he's never come close to directing anything else before or since. He's the second unit director on the recent Bond movies. RE2 feels mostly like 2nd unit work, and the final fight with Project Nemesis is a mess. The movie works I think because the story has the usually fun conceit of taking place in one night and ending with a bang.

I find RE3 kind of a slug, with some good sequences, and RE4 is definitely slow for a while but the ultra-slick style its shot in is pretty damn cool to watch for 90 minutes. I think slickness is often a bad idea with action movies, but of all the franchises which attempt it, I think RE succeeds the most because of the physical reality of the quite massive fluorescent sets. Also love Anderson's use of slow-mo. And I think RE5 is just a brilliant celebration of a classic action concept: raid the facility and accomplish the mission before it blows up. The first one did that too, and in that case Anderson took a lot of inspiration from Cube. But RE5 feels more classical, like Heroes of Telemark. The neon environments and chase scenes feel like The Warriors, and the conceit itself has a fun connection to Truman Show and Dark City. There are few movies where the fakeness of elaborate sets is deliberately fake in the context of the story. I think Anderson makes entertaining use of that.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:15 am
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Movies are already in 3D in the sense that matters: the way that the human brain can take an image projected onto a flat surface and extrapolate it into a 3D space, which it does perfectly well without the need for stereoscopic imagery and chunky sunglasses.

What Cameron might try, and what limits this natural 3d effect that movies have already, is developing denser compositions with a greater sense of what's in the background, middle ground, and foreground in a way that creates interesting visual juxtapositions.

The current popular method of shooting movies is to limit the focus of the composition to just one plane of focus and one detail at a time, Avatar included. It's a poor way to make movies. It does not use the tools that movies uniquely offer. It limits our involvement, gives us less to chew on, especially if there are 3D glasses doing the work that our imaginations should be doing for us.

Disagree. Ken's misleading argument might ring true for some folks that do not even care for the third dimension while watching a film but for the one who cares like me then it does not make sense at all. Donning a 3D pair of glasses while watching a well done 3D movie made my experience more immerse and enjoyable like watching it in 2D which I did for Avatar once. Seeing Avatar in 3D made the world of Pandora from being merely sumptuous images into a rich, tangible world that I was not just peering at, but part of. In fact, I have lost count how many times I have watched it in 3D (At least 3 times only in the Cinema and numerous more in my 3D TV)

Some might not like 3D in movies but there are here to stay 8-)

5 Common Arguments Against 3D That Simply Don’t Hold Up

3 Signs That 3D Movies Are The Way Of The Future

and have not doubt myself like Cameron will blow our mind again in 2016 ;-)

Cheers

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:46 am
Profile WWW
Director

Pandora may be splendiferous (though I don't think so), but there's not one kernel of intellect in that entire film. It's made under the assumption that in order for a film to be immersive, it also has to be brainless.

I'd have to agree with Ken about the shallow, single plane of focus. It really doesn't utilize the medium. Cinema is most powerful with wide-open spaces. Avatar was shot inside a warehouse, and looks it.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:53 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Pandora may be splendiferous (though I don't think so), but there's not one kernel of intellect in that entire film. It's made under the assumption that in order for a film to be immersive, it also has to be brainless.

I'd have to agree with Ken about the shallow, single plane of focus. It really doesn't utilize the medium. Cinema is most powerful with wide-open spaces. Avatar was shot inside a warehouse, and looks it.

Ken was talking about 3D in general ("Avatar included") . I sometime use my imagination to visualize a 2D Film (shown also in 2D ) in how good this film would be in 3D but it is not the same, in fact not comparison for me. The key to the 3rd dimension is the fact that we have two eyes where each send a slightly different image to the brain (called binocular disparity) which film makers simulates using stereoscopy that when projecting in conjunction with polarized glasses then ensure that the left and right eye receive a slightly different image to create the depth perception.

For me the 3D (when used effectively as in these films ) enhanced my entertainment experience significantly. In other words, at difference of what Ken stated in his above post , stereoscopy really matters if what you are discussing is the 3D effect in films

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:49 am
Profile WWW