Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:13 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 229
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
I haven't been able to be around much recently. I'm sorry I missed the nominations stage, but I did just send in my round one ballot.


Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:03 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Steven wrote:
Here it is gentlemen. Round 1. Send me your ballots by the end of next Thursday.

(1) Marlon Brando vs (16) Jack Lemmon
(8) Laurence Olivier vs (9) Paul Newman
(4) Al Pacino vs (13) Michael Caine
(5) James Stewart vs (12) Peter O'Toole
(6) Daniel Day-Lewis vs (11) Anthony Hopkins
(3) Jack Nicholson vs (14) Denzel Washington
(7) Tom Hanks vs (10) Gene Hackman
(2) Robert De Niro vs (15) Phillip Seymour Hoffman


Oh man, I came in ready to vote for Jack Lemmon, and then you pair him with Marlon Brando. :|

The real devil's 6 & 11 though. Two acting giants... I'm gonna have to mull that pair for a bit.


Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Some of those matches are painful.

How do I choose between DDL or Anthony Hopkins? Denzel or Jack? Tom Hanks or Gene Hackman? :cry:


Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 237
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
ilovemovies wrote:
Some of those matches are painful.

How do I choose between DDL or Anthony Hopkins? Denzel or Jack? Tom Hanks or Gene Hackman? :cry:


I made a couple of them ties. I refuse to choose. If that generates a different pairing, so be it.

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
6 v 11 is cruel.

Neither deserve to be eliminated. It's like Federer v Sampras - both in their primes.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 943
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
I say man up, and make a definitive decision. You will, deep down, know who you want to choose. 100000 is one higher than 99999 - it might be infinitesimal, but it's real. Get your votes in.


Last edited by nitrium on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 344
Location: Watertown, SD
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Only one upset in the first round. DDL vs Hopkins was really close. Here's Round 2. Decisions by the end of next Thursday please.

(1) Marlon Brando vs (8) Laurence Olivier
(4) Al Pacino vs (5) James Stewart
(3) Jack Nicholson vs (6) Daniel-Day Lewis
(2) Robert De Niro vs (10) Gene Hackman

_________________
https://twitter.com/Steven_Renner23


Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 772
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Just voted in round 2 :)

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Damn. Forgot to vote for round 1. I would have voted for Hopkins over DDL myself. I wonder if my vote would have made a difference?

It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up coming down between Pacino and De Niro. It always seems to be between those two, even if their reputations have taken a hit the past decade.


Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 268
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
NotHughGrant wrote:
6 v 11 is cruel.

Neither deserve to be eliminated. It's like Federer v Sampras - both in their primes.


Aussie Open Final - Federer in 3
French Open Final - Pete would be lucky to get a set.
Wimbledon Final - Pete in 4
U.S. Open Final - Federer in 4

So Federer would be a better player 3 - 1 on the specific surfaces. Day-Lewis probably wins by that margin over Hopkins too.

_________________
I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman - Royal Tenenbaum


Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:03 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
No, that's an upset for me. I backed Hopkins.

Day Lewis is big, but let's face it, There Will be Blood isn't all that, nor Gangs of New York.

Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, Remains of the Day, The Elephant Man, Titus tops him.

I'd say Hopkins was Federer

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:21 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Those films may not be all that (though I think There Will Be Blood is), but Day-Lewis is all that in them.

Honestly, that was a tough call for me, and it came down to which actor's filmography had less fat in it. Hopkins is brilliant, but he's been in some crap. DDL is also brilliant, and he never would have touched Mission: Impossible II.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:47 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2191
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
I don't necessarily go by filmography. I go which actor do I enjoy seeing more perform. And if it's a choice between DDL and Anthony Hopkins, well, DDL is a brilliant actor. Nobody can deny him that. But I just enjoy watching Anthony more. Even when he's phoning in his performances, I still think he's great to watch.

Mission Impossible II is awesome btw. I thought it was a cool, slick, hugely enjoyable spy yarn with great chemistry between Cruise and Thandie Newton, a great visual style courtesy of director John Woo. And the action is awesome. The motorcycle chase at the end is really awesome.


Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:40 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Ken wrote:
Those films may not be all that (though I think There Will Be Blood is), but Day-Lewis is all that in them.

Honestly, that was a tough call for me, and it came down to which actor's filmography had less fat in it. Hopkins is brilliant, but he's been in some crap. DDL is also brilliant, and he never would have touched Mission: Impossible II.


That bit is fair enough (DDL never made 'Bad Company' for instance), but DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.

If DDL had Hopkins output there would be some kind of regression to the mean.

He is a great actor for sure, but Hopkins for me is the best actor the UK has produced

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
NotHughGrant wrote:
DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.


Really failing to see how it's "feeding his own mythology" more than just waiting for the roles he really want to play (and I say this as someone who chooses Hopkins too).


Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:08 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:
Those films may not be all that (though I think There Will Be Blood is), but Day-Lewis is all that in them.

Honestly, that was a tough call for me, and it came down to which actor's filmography had less fat in it. Hopkins is brilliant, but he's been in some crap. DDL is also brilliant, and he never would have touched Mission: Impossible II.


That bit is fair enough (DDL never made 'Bad Company' for instance), but DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.

If DDL had Hopkins output there would be some kind of regression to the mean.

He is a great actor for sure, but Hopkins for me is the best actor the UK has produced

I think they're both good actors, hard to say which one I prefer. I've liked most of Hopkins films, Bad Company included, though he did seem to be sleepwalking through this role in "The Rite"


Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2469
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
peng wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.


Really failing to see how it's "feeding his own mythology" more than just waiting for the roles he really want to play (and I say this as someone who chooses Hopkins too).


It kind of creates an artificial DDL famine in the cinema landscape. When he signs a project, it's big news.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:36 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
ilovemovies wrote:
Mission Impossible II is awesome btw. I thought it was a cool, slick, hugely enjoyable spy yarn with great chemistry between Cruise and Thandie Newton, a great visual style courtesy of director John Woo. And the action is awesome. The motorcycle chase at the end is really awesome.

You're entitled to your opinion, but god, everything In M:I2 that isn't directly related to John Woo pumping up the mega-cheese* is strictly uninspired Hollywood dreck. The series in general plays a lot better if you ignore this one.

-

*This, I actually approve of.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3607
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Ken wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Mission Impossible II is awesome btw. I thought it was a cool, slick, hugely enjoyable spy yarn with great chemistry between Cruise and Thandie Newton, a great visual style courtesy of director John Woo. And the action is awesome. The motorcycle chase at the end is really awesome.

You're entitled to your opinion, but god, everything In M:I2 that isn't directly related to John Woo pumping up the mega-cheese* is strictly uninspired Hollywood dreck. The series in general plays a lot better if you ignore this one.

-

*This, I actually approve of.

Definitely disagree there, I consider it to be a big improvement over the first film, which for me suffered from pacing issues, one too many plot holes and a noticeable lack of excitement until the finale.


Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:12 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Vexer wrote:
Definitely disagree there, I consider it to be a big improvement over the first film, which for me suffered from pacing issues, one too many plot holes and a noticeable lack of excitement until the finale.


Definitely disagree there, I don't consider it to... wait, I actually agree with you all on this one (maybe minus the "big" in improvement). Damn. Hopkins must have been really forgettable in this though because I don't even remember him in it.


Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr