Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
I haven't been able to be around much recently. I'm sorry I missed the nominations stage, but I did just send in my round one ballot.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:03 pm
Director

Steven wrote:
Here it is gentlemen. Round 1. Send me your ballots by the end of next Thursday.

(1) Marlon Brando vs (16) Jack Lemmon
(8) Laurence Olivier vs (9) Paul Newman
(4) Al Pacino vs (13) Michael Caine
(5) James Stewart vs (12) Peter O'Toole
(6) Daniel Day-Lewis vs (11) Anthony Hopkins
(3) Jack Nicholson vs (14) Denzel Washington
(7) Tom Hanks vs (10) Gene Hackman
(2) Robert De Niro vs (15) Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Oh man, I came in ready to vote for Jack Lemmon, and then you pair him with Marlon Brando. :|

The real devil's 6 & 11 though. Two acting giants... I'm gonna have to mull that pair for a bit.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm
Producer

Some of those matches are painful.

How do I choose between DDL or Anthony Hopkins? Denzel or Jack? Tom Hanks or Gene Hackman? :cry:

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:16 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Some of those matches are painful.

How do I choose between DDL or Anthony Hopkins? Denzel or Jack? Tom Hanks or Gene Hackman? :cry:

I made a couple of them ties. I refuse to choose. If that generates a different pairing, so be it.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 am
Producer

6 v 11 is cruel.

Neither deserve to be eliminated. It's like Federer v Sampras - both in their primes.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 am
Assistant Director

I say man up, and make a definitive decision. You will, deep down, know who you want to choose. 100000 is one higher than 99999 - it might be infinitesimal, but it's real. Get your votes in.

Last edited by nitrium on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 am
Second Unit Director

Only one upset in the first round. DDL vs Hopkins was really close. Here's Round 2. Decisions by the end of next Thursday please.

(1) Marlon Brando vs (8) Laurence Olivier
(4) Al Pacino vs (5) James Stewart
(3) Jack Nicholson vs (6) Daniel-Day Lewis
(2) Robert De Niro vs (10) Gene Hackman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Just voted in round 2 :)

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Damn. Forgot to vote for round 1. I would have voted for Hopkins over DDL myself. I wonder if my vote would have made a difference?

It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up coming down between Pacino and De Niro. It always seems to be between those two, even if their reputations have taken a hit the past decade.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
6 v 11 is cruel.

Neither deserve to be eliminated. It's like Federer v Sampras - both in their primes.

Aussie Open Final - Federer in 3
French Open Final - Pete would be lucky to get a set.
Wimbledon Final - Pete in 4
U.S. Open Final - Federer in 4

So Federer would be a better player 3 - 1 on the specific surfaces. Day-Lewis probably wins by that margin over Hopkins too.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:03 am
Producer

No, that's an upset for me. I backed Hopkins.

Day Lewis is big, but let's face it, There Will be Blood isn't all that, nor Gangs of New York.

Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, Remains of the Day, The Elephant Man, Titus tops him.

I'd say Hopkins was Federer

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:21 pm
Producer

Those films may not be all that (though I think There Will Be Blood is), but Day-Lewis is all that in them.

Honestly, that was a tough call for me, and it came down to which actor's filmography had less fat in it. Hopkins is brilliant, but he's been in some crap. DDL is also brilliant, and he never would have touched Mission: Impossible II.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:47 pm
Producer

I don't necessarily go by filmography. I go which actor do I enjoy seeing more perform. And if it's a choice between DDL and Anthony Hopkins, well, DDL is a brilliant actor. Nobody can deny him that. But I just enjoy watching Anthony more. Even when he's phoning in his performances, I still think he's great to watch.

Mission Impossible II is awesome btw. I thought it was a cool, slick, hugely enjoyable spy yarn with great chemistry between Cruise and Thandie Newton, a great visual style courtesy of director John Woo. And the action is awesome. The motorcycle chase at the end is really awesome.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:40 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
Those films may not be all that (though I think There Will Be Blood is), but Day-Lewis is all that in them.

Honestly, that was a tough call for me, and it came down to which actor's filmography had less fat in it. Hopkins is brilliant, but he's been in some crap. DDL is also brilliant, and he never would have touched Mission: Impossible II.

That bit is fair enough (DDL never made 'Bad Company' for instance), but DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.

If DDL had Hopkins output there would be some kind of regression to the mean.

He is a great actor for sure, but Hopkins for me is the best actor the UK has produced

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 am
Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.

Really failing to see how it's "feeding his own mythology" more than just waiting for the roles he really want to play (and I say this as someone who chooses Hopkins too).

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:08 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:

That bit is fair enough (DDL never made 'Bad Company' for instance), but DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.

If DDL had Hopkins output there would be some kind of regression to the mean.

He is a great actor for sure, but Hopkins for me is the best actor the UK has produced

I think they're both good actors, hard to say which one I prefer. I've liked most of Hopkins films, Bad Company included, though he did seem to be sleepwalking through this role in "The Rite"

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 am
Producer

peng wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
DDL is very good at feeding his own mythology with A. The exclusively extreme roles he plays; and B. The often huge gaps he has between fims.

Really failing to see how it's "feeding his own mythology" more than just waiting for the roles he really want to play (and I say this as someone who chooses Hopkins too).

It kind of creates an artificial DDL famine in the cinema landscape. When he signs a project, it's big news.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:36 am
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
Mission Impossible II is awesome btw. I thought it was a cool, slick, hugely enjoyable spy yarn with great chemistry between Cruise and Thandie Newton, a great visual style courtesy of director John Woo. And the action is awesome. The motorcycle chase at the end is really awesome.

You're entitled to your opinion, but god, everything In M:I2 that isn't directly related to John Woo pumping up the mega-cheese* is strictly uninspired Hollywood dreck. The series in general plays a lot better if you ignore this one.

-

*This, I actually approve of.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion, but god, everything In M:I2 that isn't directly related to John Woo pumping up the mega-cheese* is strictly uninspired Hollywood dreck. The series in general plays a lot better if you ignore this one.

-

*This, I actually approve of.

Definitely disagree there, I consider it to be a big improvement over the first film, which for me suffered from pacing issues, one too many plot holes and a noticeable lack of excitement until the finale.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:12 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Definitely disagree there, I consider it to be a big improvement over the first film, which for me suffered from pacing issues, one too many plot holes and a noticeable lack of excitement until the finale.

Definitely disagree there, I don't consider it to... wait, I actually agree with you all on this one (maybe minus the "big" in improvement). Damn. Hopkins must have been really forgettable in this though because I don't even remember him in it.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:55 pm