Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin? 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin?
Jules Dassin, victim of the blacklist, noted lover of all things Greek...made some really, really awesome films during his peak years. He ran off five very good to great films IN A ROW. Attaboy, Jules!

Brute Force (1947) ***1/2

Utterly awesome, tour de force prison riot movie. Introduced me to the awesomeness that is the Dassin

The Naked City
(1948) ***1/2

A bit dated, since a bajillion police procedurals (many of them set in NYC) have blunted its impact, but a very well made crime film.

Thieves' Highway (1949) ***1/2

Another amazing Dassin film! An awesome noir set in the lives of truckers and the San Franciscan night world.

Night and the City
(1950) ***1/2

Four in a row for Dassin! Richard Widmark in a terrific performance in this rare Europe-set noir.

Rififi (1950) ****

The best heist film ever? The best heist film ever.

Are you guys feeling this like I'm feeling this? Dassin is a boss. Who could disagree?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:51 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin?
Dassin was a master filmmaker. I'll just give one example of his greatness, from Night and the City (which I think is one of the finest films ever):

Near the end, as the mobsters are closing in on Widmark, he turns to his girlfriend and says that he could still provide her with a life of plenty; he tells her to turn him in to the mobsters, who will kill him and let her collect the reward for his head. The look of sadness and hurt on Gene Tierney's face during this exchange is pure poetry; it is one of the most memorable things I've ever seen on film.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:59 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1709
Post Re: Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin?
Haven't seen all of those, but Night and the City didn't do much for me. Dassin's efforts to energize the story felt forced and a bit silly at times. It's a campy film, a little tedious to watch, enjoyable up to a certain point though. THE BEAR HUG GREGOROVICH!!!! THE BEAR HUG!!!!


Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:01 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin?
Brute Force is a great movie, not the least because it invites the sentence "Hume Cronyn is one bad son of a bitch."

My mother would on occasion talk up ...and God Created Woman (steamy Bardot) and Never on Sunday as great movies she remembered well from her youth. Never on Sunday turns out to have Jules in an acting performance (he also performed as groom in the wedding to the star), something I learned when I re-watched Rififi a couple of years back. I prefer The Red Circle for heist goodness but there's no doubt that Rififi was released first. It, too, is pretty great.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:36 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin?
Mark III wrote:
Brute Force is a great movie, not the least because it invites the sentence "Hume Cronyn is one bad son of a bitch."

My mother would on occasion talk up ...and God Created Woman (steamy Bardot) and Never on Sunday as great movies she remembered well from her youth. Never on Sunday turns out to have Jules in an acting performance (he also performed as groom in the wedding to the star), something I learned when I re-watched Rififi a couple of years back. I prefer The Red Circle for heist goodness but there's no doubt that Rififi was released first. It, too, is pretty great.


Never on Sunday was fun, but not up to the mastery of his Top 5 outlined above. If you're into Greece or about to visit it I recommend it though. Very interesting as a look at the culture.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:47 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin?
MGamesCook wrote:
Haven't seen all of those, but Night and the City didn't do much for me. Dassin's efforts to energize the story felt forced and a bit silly at times. It's a campy film, a little tedious to watch, enjoyable up to a certain point though. THE BEAR HUG GREGOROVICH!!!! THE BEAR HUG!!!!


You see this here is why people have problems with your commenting. Your opinion may well be valid, but two people have just talked about how much they like Jules Dassin, and more specifically one person has just said how much he loves that film, and you come and kinda crap all over it.

Again, this doesn't make you a troll per se, but sometimes (particularly in a thread dedicated to our affection for the man -- I didn't title it "What are our Jules Dassin thoughts?") you should abide by that rule about not having anything nice to say/not saying anything at all.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:52 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1709
Post Re: Does anyone else here love them some Jules Dassin?
JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Haven't seen all of those, but Night and the City didn't do much for me. Dassin's efforts to energize the story felt forced and a bit silly at times. It's a campy film, a little tedious to watch, enjoyable up to a certain point though. THE BEAR HUG GREGOROVICH!!!! THE BEAR HUG!!!!


You see this here is why people have problems with your commenting. Your opinion may well be valid, but two people have just talked about how much they like Jules Dassin, and more specifically one person has just said how much he loves that film, and you come and kinda crap all over it.

Again, this doesn't make you a troll per se, but sometimes (particularly in a thread dedicated to our affection for the man -- I didn't title it "What are our Jules Dassin thoughts?") you should abide by that rule about not having anything nice to say/not saying anything at all.


Dude I have a right to say what I think about the movie. I have seen it, remember it well, and that's my opinion. If even that qualifies as uncivil, by all means block me from the thread. You have the power. But I'm damn well gonna say what I think about the movie, even in a few, actually quite mild words. Also, Sex Chocolate and I posted at the same time, I hadn't even read what he said yet. In no way is my post an attack on his passion for the movie.


Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:34 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], peng, Taleswapper and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr