Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:05 am

What are we to make of Frozen? 
Critic

Post What are we to make of Frozen?
Disney's Frozen has baffled me. Back in our childhoods -- my childhood at least -- this was pretty common. Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King -- these were movies that performed like Frozen. They dominated across different media, with their inescapable songs and shrewd merchandising. But then Disney waned. Mulan was probably the last such film, and even that one didn't make such a profound impact. Pixar can be blamed for some of this, perhaps, but not all.

In short, I can't figure out why Frozen is on the cusp of 400 million dollars and why it's dominating media in a way we haven't seen in 20 years. Do any of us think it's an amazing film? I don't. I think it's good, mind you, but is it demonstrably better than Tangled? I don't think so. The only thing I can think of that it has really got going for it is "Let It Go." Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Hunchback of Notre dame, all the other second-tier Disneys...they didn't have that ONE song, but Frozen does. Is that enough to explain Frozen? I don't know. What do you all think?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: What are we to make of Frozen?
JamesKunz wrote:
In short, I can't figure out why Frozen is on the cusp of 400 million dollars and why it's dominating media in a way we haven't seen in 20 years. Do any of us think it's an amazing film? I don't. I think it's good, mind you, but is it demonstrably better than Tangled? I don't think so. The only thing I can think of that it has really got going for it is "Let It Go." Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Hunchback of Notre dame, all the other second-tier Disneys...they didn't have that ONE song, but Frozen does. Is that enough to explain Frozen? I don't know. What do you all think?

I think you've nailed it: it's the song. I would even argue that it's the song that's dominating media, not the film. I haven't seen the movie, but as a sadly avid consumer of the Buzzfeed/Reddit/etc world, I have seen a million things about the song, but nothing on the film that could make me articulate to anyone even the bare-bones plot.

Perhaps there's also the self-fulfilling prophecy of it, culturally. I can't tell you how many conversations on Facebook I've seen like this (as have we all, no doubt):

Quote:
Person 1: Finally going to watch FROZEN!
Person 2: You will love it! It's amaaaaaaaaaaazing!
Person 3: Let it go! Let it goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Person 3: It's my new favorite movie! My kids can't get enough of it.
Person 1: You guys were right! Sooo good! I'm going to buy the Blue Ray tomorrow.
Person 4: OMG you guys have to watch this video of this guy singing the song in voices of Disney characters!!

...and so on.

I have no ill will toward the film at all, but I think the song really does explain it all. And of course, the mass appeal in seemingly such a concrete way.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:29 am
Producer

Frozen is pre-packaged filler. It looks like it was produced by a comittee of accountants using screenwriters as part time advisors.

I was dissapointed. It takes the viewers (people like my 4 year old Daughter) for granted, and failed to reward her parents with a coherent story. And I liked Tangled

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 am
Second Unit Director

Frozen is a cute movie. I wouldn’t consider it great, but my kids do. They absolutely adored it. Now it did win an Oscar for animated and another for the song (albeit in a weak year where MU was inexplicably snubbed) so there may be some validation. My perception is that this is a movie much like Twilight in fan-mania. Parents just don’t “get it”. My kids were nearly going out of their minds to see it again. The wife was fully prepared to take them to the theater on Thursday, as she hadn’t seen it. Luckily it came out on DVD so she bought a copy and is having a home-viewing today.
I felt Tangled was the better movie as well, but the only way I can think that Frozen would reach the level it has is with rapid repeat viewing and/or word of mouth from kid to shining kid.

As for the song... Songs DO sell, but I don't know if they can sell a trip to the cinema. But the wickedly talented Adele Dazeem really belts that thing out.

The Lego Movie song "Everything is Awesome" on the other hand... anyone who didn't come out of the theater and hum that for the next several days is an inhuman monster.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50 am
Producer

Frozen was always going to make megabucks because Pixar is basically a religion for kids. However, in the past it still acknowledged a broader social responsibility to make good films.

Frozen is as close as I've seen to them come to brushing off the need for adult-worthy entertainment

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am
Director

Frozen is Disney's.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 am
Producer

:oops:

Shit yes.

I still stand by my comments re: quality though.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm
Cinematographer

I'm not a huge consumer of Disney (I have not seen much of their non-Pixar animated stuff over the past 30 years) but I took my kids to see Frozen and was suitably impressed. (It made a lot more sense than the Hans Christian Anderson story "The Ice Queen" upon which the movie was "inspired" but bares little actual resemblance to.) During "spirit week" last month my kids' school rented out one of the local theaters and took the entire school to a showing of the movie. I guess they got caught up in the phenomenon too. While "Let It Go" does seem to dominate, there were a couple of songs in Frozen beyond it that were also pretty good.

As my kids grow up, I imagine we will be dipping deeper into the Disney back catalog in the coming years (we watched The Little Mermaid last week....much more upbeat than the H.C. Anderson story of the same name), so maybe I'll get caught up on Hunchback, Tangled, The Lion King et al.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:39 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Considering that song has over 100 million+ views on Youtube, I'm sure the song attributed to its success a bit. As for the movie itself, I loved it. I know a bunch of other people who also loved and have seen the film 3 or more times (I only saw it twice). I'm sure a nice chunk of the gross came from multiple viewings as well.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 pm
Director

There is another factor: the most compelling relationship in the movie is between two sisters. So it definitely scores points for having not just one, but two dynamic female characters.

Also, maybe the animated musical never really fell out of favor; only the technology did. Animation, like most technologically-driven phenomena, is all about the latest and greatest in the minds of most. We can all look back fondly on The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc., but I think a lot of viewers today demand the Pixar-style animation because anything less would seem old fashioned. Perhaps Frozen is the perfect blend of old and new?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:41 pm
Director

I do wish other songs are as good as "Let It Go".. Some early ones in the movie especially make me cringe at times. I feel it's a disappointment as a musical in this regard; it gets nothing on the consistency and memorability of the old ones.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:47 pm
Assistant Director

Frozen was an enjoyable Disney animation movie for me with a good song in "Let it go" , a siblings story and even a mini-twist but still a second - tier one , a notch behind of "Beauty and The Beast", "The Little Mermaid" and "Lion King" .

I have seen very recently a couple of times the 3D version of The Beauty and the Beast and that's my idea of the complete first class package for an animated film coming from Disney 8-)

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I can't stand "Let it Go," it sounds like every other Disney princess song. A generic hype machine.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's our Cook! *audience laughter*

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:09 pm
Director

Yeah, what kind of heartless person doesn't like Disney songs? He must've missed the memo.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 pm
Director

The teaser trailer with the snowman trying to get his carrot nose back before the caribou/reindeer eats it made it look like an "Ice Age" knock-off... so imagine my surprise when I found out it was more in line with the usual Disney princess movies. :?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 pm
Cinematographer

I've been a big defender of Frozen here since I first saw it last December. Here is what I wrote about it then, all of which I still stand by:

Quote:
When did mainstream animation become so disposable? It’s a question I couldn’t help asking myself when I was sitting through the previews in front of Disney’s latest animated effort. One by one the previews went by, each advertising a similar-looking product, filled with wisecracking anthropomorphic creatures, cheap lowbrow gags, and voiceover work from “celebrities” chosen for their name recognition rather than their talent. After awhile it started to get incredibly distressing: is all this really what passes for acceptable family entertainment these days? Things started to look up with a new Mickey Mouse short film (awkwardly titled Get A Horse!), which cleverly blends retro and modern cartoon techniques together in genuinely inventive ways. And then the main feature began, and all my fears were brushed to the side, if only for a short while. From beginning to end, Frozen is the kind of family film you see so rarely nowadays, one filled with beautiful animation, lively and engaging characters, a strong crop of musical numbers (only one of which I felt was redundant and tedious to get through), and an incredibly winning spirit. You can bemoan Disney for perhaps relying too much on their usual formula, but I think there’s something to be said for a formula that has proven itself to be timeless.

Still, it’s not like Frozen strictly binds itself to that time-worn formula anyway. In fact, the film strikes down one of the oldest tropes in the book, true love at first sight, and it finds ways to subvert tradition in other areas too. This is the film Brave could have been had it bothered with providing a compelling narrative to go along with its compelling heroine. It’s true, Frozen doesn’t completely eliminate the romance element like that flawed Pixar film, but it’s nowhere near the dominating element that drives the central characters. That would be the complicated relationship between two sisters. When was the last time that was the primary focus in an animated film? With Pixar still mired in what is now a fairly prolonged slump, it’s great to see Disney pick up the slack and show how popular animation can still be more than just assembly-line amalgamations of whatever is “hip” with the kids nowadays. Nobody is going to remember those kinds of films in future decades. Frozen, just like the other recent Disney efforts The Princess And The Frog and Tangled before it, is made to last. 9/10.

I'm not usually the type who points to box office figures as a measure of a film's worth, but in the case of Frozen, I think its enormous worldwide success speaks to the universal appeal of the material. I love that it's done so well. Plus, it's a more daring film than most people, including many here on this forum, have given it credit for. I wouldn't go so far as to call it radical, but it doesn't just settle for the expected.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Director

It's a visual spectacle. Ice is really nice to look at, even moreso when it's magically manipulated. But I feel that's too easy and I don't see anything particularly iconic about any of the music. I saw one video where parents are driving in their car singing Let it Go while the little kid in back is completely indifferent. Pretty good satire of the current culture.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 pm
Assistant Director

I haven't seen Frozen so I can't really attest to its wonders and charms but I'd like to tell you that a 5-year-old has reported to me that it's "great". I have no doubt that she believes this but let's take a look at a list of things that she things are "great":

-socks
-Fruit Roll-Ups
-Alpha and Omega - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213012/
-the dog's ears

The greatest gift a child gives you is the biannual visit from grandparents that take the kids to see Frozen and other stuff that will inevitably saturate the house at a later date. This 'later date' may be inevitable, and it surely is, but it's also 'later'. Until that time, the child can resume fascination with something that has been played/seen/heard enough that it has become so much white noise. As there's no shortage of white noise, I am thrilled when I don't have to see Frozen. We saw Monsters University, we saw the Poppy Hill one, Pocahontas and The Goofy Movie and Spongebob and all that stuff fuck me christ please don't make me watch Frozen.

Anyway. The target audience apparently liked the movie so that's a plus. Of course, the target audience loves just about anything that's bright, silly and shorter than a visit to the dentist.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:51 am
Director

Mark III wrote:
I haven't seen Frozen so I can't really attest to its wonders and charms but I'd like to tell you that a 5-year-old has reported to me that it's "great". I have no doubt that she believes this but let's take a look at a list of things that she things are "great":

-socks
-Fruit Roll-Ups
-Alpha and Omega - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213012/
-the dog's ears

The greatest gift a child gives you is the biannual visit from grandparents that take the kids to see Frozen and other stuff that will inevitably saturate the house at a later date. This 'later date' may be inevitable, and it surely is, but it's also 'later'. Until that time, the child can resume fascination with something that has been played/seen/heard enough that it has become so much white noise. As there's no shortage of white noise, I am thrilled when I don't have to see Frozen. We saw Monsters University, we saw the Poppy Hill one, Pocahontas and The Goofy Movie and Spongebob and all that stuff fuck me christ please don't make me watch Frozen.

Anyway. The target audience apparently liked the movie so that's a plus. Of course, the target audience loves just about anything that's bright, silly and shorter than a visit to the dentist.

Thank you. This x100000000. Why would anyone want to stay in that mentality longer than they have to?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:32 am