Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
It's 'The Worst Movie of the 2000s' Thread. 
Assistant Director

Post It's 'The Worst Movie of the 2000s' Thread.
Inspired by my own idea to find out which was the greatest animated film of all time and recently re-inspired by Pedro's continuing efforts to find out what a group of disparate strangers consider the greatest ensemble performance of a given year, I would like to copy myself and Pedro and learn what makes our collective Bottom 5 or 10 or 2 or 15. Since 2000, understand. That should narrow the choices and make my Excel spreadsheet, prepared some years ago, soar like the proverbial Golden Rooster.

All you've got to do is submit, in some kind of numerical order, your choices for the worst movies since 2000. That includes 2000, for those who really hated Requiem for a Dream and really want to stick it to Aronofsky. Only hated three movies? That's great: submit that sh*t. Hated 506 movies? Put all of them down! I can work with anything. Let's stoke the negativism that has taken root in my skull since logging back in and really push for the stars.

There is no "end date", I'll keep all tabulations ongoing and will put out a list when I detect interest has dried. Which could be tomorrow. It could even be in one minute. You know you all love making lists so why not just do another one and make someone other than your newly single Aunt Gretchen happy for once? She'll probably be dating soon and then to whom will you turn? Us. Make a list.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:19 pm
Director

Post Re: It's 'The Worst Movie of the 2000s' Thread.
From 2000 through 2009 or through the present day.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:18 pm
Producer

I would say 2000 to 2009. 10 years is a big enough category, and "the [best/worst] of [the 2000s/all time/your mother's butt]" probably requires at least a few years of perspective.

Anyway, I'm a fairly even-keeled person. If I experience something bad, I'm not one to walk out of the theater saying "This is one of the worst things I've ever seen."

But I made exceptions for Freddie Got Fingered, Max Payne, and The Spirit.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 pm
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
From 2000 through 2009 or through the present day.

Looks like Ken answered it. Stuff you hated from last December may be fresher in your mind but I really want the stuff that even time couldn't soften your opinion of. 2000-2009

ALSO: PLEASE NO PMs for this. That was probably clear but one never knows. We'd all like to look at your list and wonder why we hadn't considered Anna Karenina 2: Let's Clean That Meat Off the Tracks So We're Not Late Into Minsk.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 pm
Auteur

It'll be hard for me to put mine in an exact order, but I at least know which film I hate the most:

One Missed Call remake
Shutter remake
Southland Tales
I Heart Huckabees
She Hate Me
Alexander
The Strangers
Pirates Of The Carribean 1-3
Hide And Seek
Inland Empire
Tideland
Gladiator
Passion Of The Christ
Year One
Wicker Man remake
Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2
Lady In The Water
The first two Twilight films
Drag Me To Hell
Irreversible
Funny Games

and the worst movie of the 2000s(as well as the worst movie i've ever seen):
Dark Heaven

Last edited by Vexer on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I would say 2000 to 2009. 10 years is a big enough category, and "the [best/worst] of [the 2000s/all time/your mother's butt]" probably requires at least a few years of perspective.

Anyway, I'm a fairly even-keeled person. If I experience something bad, I'm not one to walk out of the theater saying "This is one of the worst things I've ever seen."

But I made exceptions for Freddie Got Fingered, Max Payne, and The Spirit.

I forgot that I saw The Spirit until just now. I'm going to take a cold shower now.

My girlfriend and I watched the Miley Cyrus flick LOL last month. We thought it would tickle our funny bones for questionable reasons. We thought this! Instead, it tickled the interior of my bile duct and provoked profanities that were hurled at an inanimate object whose sole purpose is to display pixels. In this case, those pixels were the Antichrist. Filled with shitty morals, shitty acting, random out-of-focus shots, unintentional political insensitivity, and a high Thomas Jane, I wouldn't wish LOL upon anyone.

LOL makes me mad that Netflix once tried to split into two companies. I love Netflix Instant, but if you're going to offer shit like LOL instead of - I don't know - anything acceptable, I can't take aspects of your company seriously.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 pm
Auteur

I thought LOL was a pretty enjoyable film overall, I thought the acting from Cyrus and Moore was pretty good.

Just curious, how exactly was the film "politically insensitive"?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:54 pm
Assistant Director

It turned him into a wrecking ball, you see. ;)

I'll throw in BATTLEFIELD EARTH of course as a so-bad-its-funny kind of movie. Others include DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR and something called TIME CODE. It's a film split into four screens with four stories going on at the same time. It was so annoying and pointless that I shut it off after 30 minutes.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:59 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
I thought LOL was a pretty enjoyable film overall, I thought the acting from Cyrus and Moore was pretty good.

Can we just agree right now that this post is the only one of these posts that's necessary in this thread? I don't mean to dog you here, but every two or three posts, someone is going to post a movie that most people are going to agree is awful that you're going to think is pretty good.

Maybe change it up a bit. Signal your terse disagreement by posting a picture of a corgi wearing a cowboy hat, or a video of Nicolas Cage reciting the alphabet. Don't worry. We'll know.

Assistant Director

While we all look for copies of The Spirit so we can watch this movie that most of America avoided, I wanted to also mention that you don't have to number stuff but, if you don't, it's going down in the order that it's listed. Totally going Pedro with that one.

Now, back to LOL and how LOwLful it was or wasn't.

The hell is wrong with you people, watching LOL. I at once admire Vexer's courage in admitting that he watched it, admire his ability to probably watch that shit alone, and admire that he took away some positives. That guy should watch Showgirls 2: Penny's From Heaven and let me know if it's worth a look.

Cinematographer

More or less this...

1. Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows (2000)
2. Showtime (2002)
3. When a Stranger Calls (2006)
4. Tomcats (2001)
5. Shutter (2008)
6. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
7. Jeepers Creepers 2 (2003)
8. Fifteen Minutes (2001)
9. Transformers (2007)
10. Day Watch (2006)
11. The Cave (2005)
12. Ladder 49 (2004)
13. Pearl Harbor (2001)
14. Drag Me to Hell (2009)
15. The Forgotten (2004)

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Last edited by Thief12 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:
While we all look for copies of The Spirit so we can watch this movie that most of America avoided, I wanted to also mention that you don't have to number stuff but, if you don't, it's going down in the order that it's listed. Totally going Pedro with that one.

Now, back to LOL and how LOwLful it was or wasn't.

The hell is wrong with you people, watching LOL. I at once admire Vexer's courage in admitting that he watched it, admire his ability to probably watch that shit alone, and admire that he took away some positives. That guy should watch Showgirls 2: Penny's From Heaven and let me know if it's worth a look.

I'm passively interested in Showgirls 2. I just watched the first one and didn't really like it, but I don't usually like movies that aim to be so bad they're good.

It'll take me a few days to rank anything. I'm going to see what other ideas people have before committing to anything. Evidenced by Ken's mention of The Spirit, there's plenty of bulldookie I forgot I was privy to.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:10 pm
Auteur

I keep forgetting about Showgirls 2, i'll be sure to see it.

Time Code had an interesting concept, but it ultimately didn't live up to it's potential. It dosen't really get any better after the 30 minute mark, so you're not missing much.

The Spirit was pretty mediocre overall, it was all style with very little substance, the most notable thing about that film was how truly awful the dialogue was. I felt embarassed for all the actors for having to recite such dreck(particularly Samuel L Jackson).

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:20 pm
Director

Most of my worst memories are still from when I was a young kid, 10 or more years ago:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Osmosis Jones
See Spot Run
Spy Kids
Gods and Generals
Jimmy Neutron
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End
Matrix Revolutions
Fellowship of the Ring
Miami Vice
Daredevil

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:31 pm
Director

Okay then. Here goes:

Pearl Harbor
Battlefield Earth
The Adventures Of Pluto Nash
Soul Plane
RV
The Passion Of The Christ
Hide And Seek
Scooby Doo
Hannibal Rising
Collateral Damage

I was picking ones that were so awful they reached the level of offensive. Not picking ones that were just mediocre (IE: Bewitched).

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:31 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Most of my worst memories are still from when I was a young kid, 10 or more years ago:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Osmosis Jones
See Spot Run
Spy Kids
Gods and Generals
Jimmy Neutron
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

I was scanning this list and first thought "Oh, Osmosis Jones was kinda cool". But then I read this...

MGamesCook wrote:
Matrix Revolutions
Fellowship of the Ring
Miami Vice
Daredevil

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I don't like any of the LOTR films myself, but I wouldn't really call them the worst films of the 2000s, I just find them extremely boring.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:37 pm
Director

I'm going to throw in a vote for Battlefield Earth. It was bad, just awfully bad. And not bad in a campy way. It was just bad in every way it could be bad, from its writing to the acting, to the directing, the shot composition...everything about it was bad.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:47 pm
Director

Fellowship in particular has to make my list, though the second two are much better. I was 10 at the time, but that's an endless slug at the theater I'll never forget. Not as bad as Gods and Generals though. Which reminds me of another one:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I was only 9 for that one, but even then I knew it was a stinker.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:50 pm
Director

Didn't The Lord of the Rings use to make your #1 of the '00? (I saw that youtube after I watched your Pawn Shop Chronicles review) Granted, your movie preference has changed vastly from 2009, but doesn't that mean you really love the movies, including the first one, at some point?

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:02 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next