Scenes that stick with you from films that don't matter 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Scenes that stick with you from films that don't matter
Ken wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Attachment:
cowboy_corg.jpg

My god, that's cute.

The photo is way cute! I don't know how they got the beast to grin like that, but whoever snapped the photo got the timing just right.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 am
Producer

This is probably in the wrong thread, but it didn't seem quite enough to begin a new one.

Re-watching No Country for Old Men over the weekend, the scene when Moss returns to the drop-off gone wrong site, but is then shot in the shoulder before a bulldog of some kind gives chase. He swims down a patch of river with the dog grimly swimming and floating down in the current after him, then he hastily exists the water and attempts to dry his pistol before the dog also exits the water to remove one of his limbs. You can sense Moss' thinking. Panicking like a muthaf*cker that if he doesn't render this pistol operable in the next 6 seconds, he's in deep trouble, yet acknowledging in his body language that the one thing that will make sure he's dead is showing outward signs of panic.

Played with the backdrop of an almost blissfully peaceful New Mexico morning, it's a disturbing and rather unique scene. With its placid yet inevitable sense of dread.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 am
Second Unit Director

When I was in grade school, the lunch hour was split up in two halves to accommodate all us kids. One half of the population would be loaded into the library and watch movies on the projector while the other half ate and then vice versa. I vividly recall three pictures that were featured: The Three Stooges (various episodes), Peter and the Wolf, and The Red Balloon.

I know those selections makes me seem older than I am! I'm 35 for those who are wondering. Ha.

Anyways, it was The Red Balloon (1956) that really got me. It's a short film about a seemingly sentient balloon that follows a boy around the streets of Paris. The two are constantly evading these other boys who just want to destroy the balloon. Near the end of the movie, the balloon dies, as all balloons eventually do. Wow that really got to me. But that movie was my first exposure to the magic of film making and not just that, but what kind of real power a well done film can have - in this case MAKING ME CARE SO DEEPLY ABOUT A DAMN BALLOON.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:46 pm