Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:43 pm

worst biopic 
Second Unit Director

Post worst biopic
This probably belongs in the list of column but i'm putting in here. Considering The Theory of everything is coming out, i want to pose this question. What is the worst biopic you have seen.

I have three that i would like to cite as the worst

1) Patch Adams
2) Chaplin
3) Public Enemies

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:54 pm
Auteur

Post Re: worst biopic
All good choices, the real Patch Adams in particular slammed the movie based on him, saying it totally misrepresented him by making him anti-traditional-medicine, when in reality he advocates for a combination of laughter and medicine.

Cinderella Man was also pretty horrible because of it's godawful misrepresentation of Max Bayer, making him out to a monster who bragged about killing people in the ring when the real Bayer was the complete opposite.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:11 pm
Director

I'd be more interested in hearing which people think are the best ones.
I thought even biopics that are widely admired, such as Milk and Lincoln, are pretty boring.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
I thought even biopics that are widely admired, such as Milk and Lincoln, are pretty boring.

Forgot to mention Lincoln, for me that's easily Spielberg's weakest film of all time.

One biopic I really liked was "The Runaways".

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:40 pm
Producer

J. Edgar was extremely disappointing, especially considering the talent involved.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:34 am
Director

Biopics have become painfully conventional over the last 15-20 years, not to mention all too Oscar bait-y. No matter how good a performance the lead actor gives (e.g. Jamie Foxx in "Ray," Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady," etc.), it usually ends up being undermined by the filmmakers' workmanlike approach to the material.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:30 am
Producer

Have to agree with Public Enemies. A poor film.

I was massively disappointed with Ali too. The boxing scenes are atrocious and the dialogue trite beyond belief*

*2 Michael Mann films hey

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:49 am
Assistant Director

I agree with Lincoln. It wasn't that great.

I'm not a huge fan of Rescue Dawn, but I think I made my point about that one a couple of weeks ago.

Some that are pretty good...

My Left Foot and In The Name of the Father, both with Daniel Day-Lewis. Although I don't know if the latter classifies as a "biopic".

I have some issues with Malcolm X's first half, but overall, it's pretty good.

Gandhi and Schindler's List are great.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Director

W was pretty bad. The main flaw was how thrown together it felt. Was it supposed to be an SNL style spoof of Bush or a serious drama. It seemed like Stone couldn't decide and so we ended up with a haphazard one that never gelled.

I also wasn't a fan of Stone's The Doors.

Gandhi isn't a bad film. But it felt interminable at times.

As for ones I like.

To be fair to Oliver Stone, I found Nixon to be a very good one.

Patton is another good one.

But Malcolm X is my all-time favorite bio-pic.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 am
Second Unit Director

"Biopic" is kind of a loose definition of some movies.

I'd have to put Radio near the bottom of the biopics I've seen. It just felt overwrought and (poorly) manipulative.
What did Downey's character say in Tropic Thunder..? "Never go full retard."

Another one that was a clunker for me (but not for everyone) was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. To me it just turned into audio and visual diarrhea.

Some of the more favored ones that I liked have already been mentioned, but I'll add Ed Wood and October Sky to those.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:16 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Forgot to mention Lincoln, for me that's easily Spielberg's weakest film of all time.

Oh-oh, Vexer and I like the same film. But I like Lincoln a lot, too.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:33 pm
Auteur

Syd Henderson wrote:
Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:

Oh-oh, Vexer and I like the same film. But I like Lincoln a lot, too.

Notorious and Selena were also pretty good.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 pm
Assistant Director

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters will (probably) always remain the greatest biopic of all time. Even when the film is staging an adaptation of one of Mishima's works it offers more on the subject than the standard bio fare.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 pm
Critic

I think of a lot of you are using biopic fairly loosely. Schindler's List is based on a novel, for God's sake. Seems hard to argue that it's a biography any more than, I dunno, Goodfellas is, and the latter is way more factual. The same with Public Enemies. Which I like a lot more than many of you seem to.

A biopic, in my understanding, sets out as its mission to tell the story of a man (or woman's) life. Walk the Line is a biopic (and a middling one at that), Capote is because its focus, however narrow, is still on the character himself. But if you go broader than the character of the man, then I think you transcend biopic.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:40 pm
Producer

Depends on my interest in the subject. Me and Orson Welles and Hitchcock weren't great movies, but I really enjoyed them because of my interest in their subjects. Lincoln is my #1 for disappointment, even if it's not the worst. I'd say J. Edgar is bottom of the barrel. One of the more lifeless movies I can think of.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:13 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Depends on my interest in the subject. Me and Orson Welles and Hitchcock weren't great movies, but I really enjoyed them because of my interest in their subjects. Lincoln is my #1 for disappointment, even if it's not the worst. I'd say J. Edgar is bottom of the barrel. One of the more lifeless movies I can think of.

Ugh, Hitchcock, really? The movie that pointedly eschewed anything interesting in order to focus on how Hitchcock's wife was the *real* talent in the family? Such a disappointment for me.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:21 pm
Director

I don't mind the script of Hitchcock, but too bad the direction is too TV bland for it to be more interesting. But I very mildly enjoyed it enough for the airy tone and performances. However, I can't recall a movie that redeemed itself in my eyes so much just by a single scene: Anthony Hopkins conducting the audience reaction outsides the Psycho premiere. Loved it.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:35 pm
Second Unit Director

I have a copy of J. Edgar. I bought it for 3 dollars in a sale bin but I've put it off for about 2 years. Is it so dull I shouldn't even watch it?

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:32 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
I have a copy of J. Edgar. I bought it for 3 dollars in a sale bin but I've put it off for about 2 years. Is it so dull I shouldn't even watch it?

Yeah pretty much, it's a total borefest that goes nowhere fast, you're better off using it as a coaster.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:36 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I think of a lot of you are using biopic fairly loosely. Schindler's List is based on a novel, for God's sake. Seems hard to argue that it's a biography any more than, I dunno, Goodfellas is, and the latter is way more factual. The same with Public Enemies. Which I like a lot more than many of you seem to.

A biopic, in my understanding, sets out as its mission to tell the story of a man (or woman's) life. Walk the Line is a biopic (and a middling one at that), Capote is because its focus, however narrow, is still on the character himself. But if you go broader than the character of the man, then I think you transcend biopic.

You're right. It's just that almost all standard biopics are so vanilla that picking a worst is challenging. That's precisely why they make them.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:38 pm