Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:50 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Kubrick's Most Popular 
Author Message
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 328
Post Kubrick's Most Popular
I recently re-watched Kubrick's "big 5" I'll call them for lack of a better word and I'm interested to see how you guys rank them against each other. If you like some of his other films better feel free to say that but at least for this thread if you could rank 2001, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut, and maybe say a little about what you like or dislike about each I think we could generate some good discussion.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

Finding the right word to suitably describe 2001's ambition is difficult, and I'll always admire it for that. The scene with the Monolith on the Moon is one of the best I've ever seen.

2. The Shining

This ones the freshest in my mind. I just re-watched it today before I made this post and was reminded of just how hard Kubrick killed it creating the atmosphere for this film. I watched some of the special features and his attention to detail and his particular vision for this film was incredible. I think I really fell in love with Jack Nicholson's performance during this viewing as well.

3. Full Metal Jacket

Always feels fresh in a genre that never feels fresh. "Half a good movie..." criticisms are sorely mistaken. *shots fired

4. A Clockwork Orange

I just watched this for the first time and was surprised by how entertaining it was. I half expected it to be something to be admired rather than enjoyed, but I was mostly wrong. I do find the first 30 minutes fairly uncomfortable to watch. It seemed a little tasteless at times.

5. Eyes Wide Shut

I really just don't enjoy this one much. I do admire parts of it, but as a whole I just couldn't engage in it.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
I find Kubrick to be a very hit and miss director, I don't like Shining nearly as much as everyone else does, I didn't like the changes it made from the book, it was way too long for it's own good, it wasn't scary and Nicholson's performance was a bit too over-the-top (more subtlety would've been greatly appreciated).

Also found Eyes Wide Shut to be very boring and forgettable.


Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:16 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 761
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
I'll rank them all, what the heck...

2001: A Space Odyssey
Eyes Wide Shut
Full Metal Jacket
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Barry Lyndon
The Shining

.
.
.
Spartacus


Those are the only ones I've seen, and regardless of ranking, I like them all. Spartacus would be the only one I really don't care much about.

I'll say this... 2001 is really an achievement, in terms of its visual and overall sensorial impact. Music, effects, colors, and a great story of course. Plus, I'm always surprised by how ageless it feels, despite being already what? 40+ years old?

I also dismiss most of the half/half criticism that's thrown at Full Metal Jacket. To me, the film is great all around, and there's no way the "second half" would exist without the "first half". To me, it all complements perfectly.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 786
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
It's been long enough since I've seen most of these that I don't trust my memory. But I will say that, going by memory alone, I'd like rank Eyes Wide Shut at the #2 position.

What I like most about that movie is how the 1,001 establishing shots that Kubrick uses not only gives us the location of forthcoming events but makes this London-masquerading-as-New-York seem as if aliens had built this city in order to see how humans interact. Very fitting for a film such as this.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:38 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
My biggest problem with FMJ is that the Vietnam scenes look nothing like Vietnam in real life, England is just not a very good substitute and it really took me out of the movie.


Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:52 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 993
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
I've seen all the Kubrick's, but not recently enough to dare try and rank them. I remember liking Barry Lyndon a good deal though (that film doesn't get nearly enough praise). And A Clockwork Orange, of course, is just great. 2001 is in a nutshell a bit hit and miss for me (not a popular opinion, but I can't help how I feel).


Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:31 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 328
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Vexer wrote:
My biggest problem with FMJ is that the Vietnam scenes look nothing like Vietnam in real life, England is just not a very good substitute and it really took me out of the movie.


How do you pick your criticisms? In movies that are notoriously concerned good/great you always find these nit picky little things but when it comes to a low budget shitfest (not that they're all horrible to watch, just an objective truth) you dismiss all the inconsistencies.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:35 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3837
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Gedmud wrote:
Vexer wrote:
My biggest problem with FMJ is that the Vietnam scenes look nothing like Vietnam in real life, England is just not a very good substitute and it really took me out of the movie.


How do you pick your criticisms? In movies that are notoriously concerned good/great you always find these nit picky little things but when it comes to a low budget shitfest (not that they're all horrible to watch, just an objective truth) you dismiss all the inconsistencies.

That's not true at all, I most certainly do not "dismiss all the inconsistencies", you obviously don't know me very well at all, as there are plenty of terrible low budget films like "The Room" that I despise.

Also I would argue that an unconvincing location double for Vietnam is not a "nit picky little thing", it's kind of essential to the film to make us believe that the characters are really in Vietnam, and it really takes me out of the movie when the location looks nothing like Vietnam, and i'm far from the only person to take issue with this, real life Vietnam veteran Michael Lee Lanning also had quite a few issues with this film.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:25 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1906
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Quote:
How do you pick your criticisms? In movies that are notoriously concerned good/great you always find these nit picky little things but when it comes to a low budget shitfest (not that they're all horrible to watch, just an objective truth) you dismiss all the inconsistencies.


Actually, the answer is easy. Low budget "shitfests" often don't have inconsistencies. They're consistently what they are.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:15 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 328
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Vexer wrote:
That's not true at all, I most certainly do not "dismiss all the inconsistencies", you obviously don't know me very well at all, as there are plenty of terrible low budget films like "The Room" that I despise.

Also I would argue that an unconvincing location double for Vietnam is not a "nit picky little thing", it's kind of essential to the film to make us believe that the characters are really in Vietnam, and it really takes me out of the movie when the location looks nothing like Vietnam, and i'm far from the only person to take issue with this, real life Vietnam veteran Michael Lee Lanning also had quite a few issues with this film.


MGamesCook wrote:
Actually, the answer is easy. Low budget "shitfests" often don't have inconsistencies. They're consistently what they are.


It's always so fun having you two around. Would you like to engage with what I asked to begin with, Cook?

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:39 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1906
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
That is what you fucking asked to begin with. :x


Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:52 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am
Posts: 344
Location: Watertown, SD
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
I don't think I like Reelviews anymore.

_________________
https://twitter.com/Steven_Renner23


Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 328
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
I guess I should have been more clear. I was referring to the original post, not to my conversation with Vexer. I'd really like to see how you order them.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:58 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm
Posts: 328
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Steven wrote:
I don't think I like Reelviews anymore.


I'm feeling this way too, which is really too bad. I have been very guilty of only reading threads and not contributing enough, so I actively re-watched these films hoping we could talk about them a little bit. I was hoping to avoid the usual derailment, but that seems to be impossible. But I'm just as guilty for engaging it I guess.

_________________
Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out I'm not gonna feel anything new. Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:01 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2282
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
I thought The Shining was pretty terrible.

I was totally with 2001: A Space Odyssey until the last 20 minutes. But I have to admit, I've only seen the movie once. Hopefully a rewatch will allow me to like the movie more.

Eyes Wide Shut is my favorite of Kubrick's that I have seen. I thought it was gripping and haunting with excellent performances from Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman and everyone else. A great looking film too. Terrific movie.

Spartacus and Paths of Glory are both in the solid but not quite great category. Like them both, especially Paths of Glory, but I don't quite see them as great. But again, I've only seen these movies twice. I think Paths of Glory in particular, might benefit from a second watch. Probably not Spartacus though.


That's all the Kubrick movies I have seen.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:07 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1906
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Right, I didn't get that at all. I was just trying to provide an honest answer to the question you asked Vexer.

The Killing: Memorable mostly for Elisha Cook Jr.'s performance. Other than that...eh.

Paths of Glory: A little too dogmatic. The singing girl at the end is often praised, yet it has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

Spartacus: The first 20 minutes were directed by Anthony Mann. Never had much interest in the overall movie, but Laurence Olivier's performance was certainly striking and memorable.

Dr. Strangelove: always fell flat for me, but many people love it.

2001: My favorite Kubrick all-in-all. Enigmatic, but not totally abstract. I think the questions it raises have concrete answers. Often mistaken for "experimental art-house" because of the stargate sequence, but that sequence has a concrete purpose in the story. For me, it doesn't quite count as abstract. Still a cool movie though, in the literal sense.

Clockwork Orange: Used to love it, but now it just seems too slow, with the plot being too predictable. Malcolm McDowell is really good though, and I love the scene of him walking through the record shop.

Barry Lyndon Decent for what it is, would have been much better had it been 40 minutes shorter.

The Shining: I always liked this one, though I'm not sure it's good. But it's his 2nd-most enigmatic film after 2001. Some say it's even more enigmatic than 2001.

Full Metal Jacket: Meh, overall. First 45 minutes are good, and the final sniper sequence is really good. Not much substance in the rest, and Vexer's right that it doesn't look or feel enough like Vietnam. For that reason, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, and Casualties of War rightly overshadow it.

Eyes Wide Shut: I kinda like it. An illuminati expose is right up Kubrick's alley, Cruise manages to be pretty commanding, and the nighttime city odyssey aspect is cool.

Overall, I feel that very little can be said about Kubrick that hasn't already been said, much like Hitchcock. Both produced work that I like, but I think they tend to be over-emphasized at the expense of other directors who were just as good.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2604
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Spartacus

I think Spartacus is a wonderful film. it looks like someone loved it for every second of its construction. And to make such an epic in what is now a "U" classification is some achievement. It's interesting to watch this and Gladiator back to back because it makes you realise for sure just how superior Kubrick was to Ridley Scott

2001

A masterpiece. It's a nonsense to pretend otherwise.

Full Metal Jacket

The best War film of the 80s. Has aged far better than Platoon. And contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't fall aprt in act 2 any more than it intends to to convey the chaos of war.

The Shining

Stands head and shoulders above latter day horrors because even without the horror, it stands up as a film about a guy who is incredibly fucked off with his life. In fact, I'm convinced this is what the film is actually about.

A Clockwork Orange

Bizarrely I see it as a kind of necessary film rather than a great one. Incidentally, actor Warren Clarke died this week.

Eyes Wide Shut

Much, much better than I thought it would be. I didn't get around to watching it until about 7 years after its release, and thus having swallowed all the negative guff about it, but I was glued to the TV for the its entire duration.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:25 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2604
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Gedmud wrote:
Steven wrote:
I don't think I like Reelviews anymore.


I'm feeling this way too, which is really too bad. I have been very guilty of only reading threads and not contributing enough, so I actively re-watched these films hoping we could talk about them a little bit. I was hoping to avoid the usual derailment, but that seems to be impossible. But I'm just as guilty for engaging it I guess.


Because a couple of posters are trying to establish their own anti-logic, fact denying consensus. But they won't win

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:34 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1405
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
Gedmud wrote:
Steven wrote:
I don't think I like Reelviews anymore.


I'm feeling this way too, which is really too bad. I have been very guilty of only reading threads and not contributing enough, so I actively re-watched these films hoping we could talk about them a little bit. I was hoping to avoid the usual derailment, but that seems to be impossible. But I'm just as guilty for engaging it I guess.


Guilty as well, although I try to post more of late.

Kubrick has been one of my two side-projects (along with Hitchcock) of watching filmographies from beginning. Both been derailed a bit for months, with Kubrick maybe because I'm right up to before epic-length Spartacus. Will find this thread later and rank them when I manage it, but as of now I'm still the weird one who loved Paths of Glory the best (ahead of 2001).


Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:47 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1906
Post Re: Kubrick's Most Popular
NotHughGrant wrote:
Gedmud wrote:
Steven wrote:
I don't think I like Reelviews anymore.


I'm feeling this way too, which is really too bad. I have been very guilty of only reading threads and not contributing enough, so I actively re-watched these films hoping we could talk about them a little bit. I was hoping to avoid the usual derailment, but that seems to be impossible. But I'm just as guilty for engaging it I guess.


Because a couple of posters are trying to establish their own anti-logic, fact denying consensus. But they won't win


FACT-denying? You mean consensus-denying. There's no "facts" in your opinions, Grant, or mine.


Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:00 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr