Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:40 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Crazy-ass cameos 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
KWRoss wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most inspired cameo I've ever seen: Lance Armstrong in DODGEBALL. Today, it's more than a little awkward, but still funny as hell.



Yeah, his holier than thou never give up speech is ... well ... as you say, awkward in retrospect.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:38 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
All this talk about Jay and Silent Bob reminds me of...

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:44 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
Funniest line in Dogma

"....when you do, you think of men"

"Dude, not all the time"

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:49 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
Let's not forget about the only good thing Rex Reed has ever been involved with: his very brief appearance in Superman: The Movie.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:00 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
David Carradine as a psychotic Chinese gangster in Crank 2

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:03 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Posts: 198
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
NotHughGrant wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:
Samuel L. Jackson in Out of Sight.
Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction.


I wouldn't consider Walken a cameo, for the fact that he lends backstory to events, and this plot device is best utilised using a memorable personality.

When I think of cameo, I lean towards castings that are to varying extents pretty darn pointless.


I suppose I was thinking of a cameo as a very short appearance in a film. By your criteria above let me suggest Steve Buscemi in Pulp Fiction.


Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
That is an odd one, yes.

I'd say he just happened to be on set and the hired actor didn't turn up :)

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 413
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
Brad Pitt and Matt Damon in "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind".


Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 258
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
StatGuy2000 wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:
Samuel L. Jackson in Out of Sight.
Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction.


I wouldn't consider Walken a cameo, for the fact that he lends backstory to events, and this plot device is best utilised using a memorable personality.

When I think of cameo, I lean towards castings that are to varying extents pretty darn pointless.


I suppose I was thinking of a cameo as a very short appearance in a film. By your criteria above let me suggest Steve Buscemi in Pulp Fiction.


Perhaps we need to establish exactly what our criteria for a cameo appearance is? There is no certain running time that a known actor (or celebrity) needs to appear in one scene, or several throughout a film. Val Kilmer could rightly be viewed as having a cameo appearance in Heat, as Pacino and De Niro dominate the film, but everyone knows Val Kilmer is an established lead character, yet appears in about 10 minutes of screen time for a 150 minute film. It's the same with Jon Voight in Heat.

Saying Buscemi had a cameo appearance in Pulp Fiction isn't what I'd view as a cameo. He's very briefly in one scene, two if you count when he brings the fucking drinks back, almost unrecognizable on the first viewing. That's just a nod to people establishing him being in both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, almost like a trivia question. For ten points; which actor appeared in Pulp Fiction as Buddy Holly? For five points; please name the same person who currently plays Nucky Thompson in the HBO televisions series Boardwalk Empire? For three points; who the fuck is Mr. Pink?

Walken is a known star playing a parody of himself that dominates about 10 minutes in both Pulp Fiction and True Romance. Now they are great cameo appearances, not crazy ass, but memorable. The meaning from the Oxford U.S. dictionary defines a cameo as being A small character part in a play or movie, played by a distinguished actor or a celebrity: So when Buscemi said, "I am the walrus," in a great cameo he had in The Big Lebowski, he was right. He was too big to be confined to the role of a seal. I hope that makes pefect sense.

_________________
I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman - Royal Tenenbaum


Last edited by wisey on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2427
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
I'd say a cameo is an untypically brief, but not completely trivial, turn.

By this, I agree, that Buscemi in Pulp Fiction falls short. I didn't know it was him for 5 years and 10 viewings

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 pm
Profile
Gaffer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 am
Posts: 18
Post Re: Crazy-ass cameos
Val Kilmer's strangest cameo was surely the one in "True Romance".

In the same mold, Kurt Russell in "Forrest Gump".

_________________
"Sex without love is a meaningless experience, but as far as meaningless experiences go its pretty damn good." -Woody Allen


Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gedmud, Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr