Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:19 pm




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2101
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
I'm a little sad The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Wind Rises didn't show up in some categories. Mitty has its faults, but had excellent cinematography and use of music.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1424
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
I imagine The Wind Rises would be for next year, since it opened wide not too long ago.


Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2208
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Syd Henderson wrote:
I'm a little sad The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Wind Rises didn't show up in some categories. Mitty has its faults, but had excellent cinematography and use of music.


I definitely had The Secret Life of Walter Mitty in many categories myself including best picture, best director and yes, best cinematography and best use of music.

I also can't believe Lone Survivor didn't get in for it's cinematography. The camera work, especially when they are falling down the mountain, is unbelievable.

I also don't understand why people are hating on Gravity's cinematography. Is it because it's all green screen/visual effects? Because even so, the camera work in that movie is AMAZING. It's a major reason why the movie looks and, perhaps even more importantly, FEEL so real.


Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:44 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Nobody's "hating" on anything. When you look at any given shot of a movie and the vast majority of what you're looking at was accomplished by the VFX team, the movie does not deserve to take the cinematography award away from strong competitors whose visuals are chiefly the result of a camera lens capturing light falling on real physical objects.

You're not hating on a comic book by suggesting that it probably doesn't deserve to beat out a field of competitors for Best Photography.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:30 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Should I see Gravity or Her tonight?

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:45 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2208
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
NotHughGrant wrote:
Should I see Gravity or Her tonight?


I would say both because I love both of them. In fact, Her currently stands at #2 on my top 10 of 2013 and Gravity is #3. If you can only see one then it depends on what kind of movie you like more. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one of them.


Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:48 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 492
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
ilovemovies wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
I'm a little sad The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Wind Rises didn't show up in some categories. Mitty has its faults, but had excellent cinematography and use of music.


I definitely had The Secret Life of Walter Mitty in many categories myself including best picture, best director and yes, best cinematography and best use of music.

I also can't believe Lone Survivor didn't get in for it's cinematography. The camera work, especially when they are falling down the mountain, is unbelievable.

I also don't understand why people are hating on Gravity's cinematography. Is it because it's all green screen/visual effects? Because even so, the camera work in that movie is AMAZING. It's a major reason why the movie looks and, perhaps even more importantly, FEEL so real.

The question I always ask in this context: actually why can't you believe that? The topic about James' review has hardly any replies, indicating that either not a lot of people saw it and if they did they weren't super crazy about it. It's perfectly believable that folks here wouldn't remember to nominate it in an extremely crowded category where it, frankly, doesn't deserve any attention. Anyway, cinematography is less about camera movement and more about how a shot looks. I'm talking about lens choices, aspect ratios, depth of field, and LIGHTING. If the director says "make my shot look like this," camera movement is comparatively the easiest thing in the world to replicate. All of the nominees (Gravity aside) have shots that were extremely difficult to light properly or get the depth of field right. Lone Survivor looks like it took place in the desert and forest. ....Okay.

That's why Prisoners is going to win, because Villeneuve was a huge dick about his requests for Prisoners. "Okay Roger, we're going to shoot in the rain. I want you to get a shot of Jake going into the forest, but only from behind and such that the light appears to be coming from his flashlight. I want the camera moving like this, and I want Jake looking like this. Oh, and we ain't doing shit in post, so make it look perfect." If he has a French accent, read that in a French accent.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:42 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Pedro wrote:
The question I always ask in this context: actually why can't you believe that? The topic about James' review has hardly any replies, indicating that either not a lot of people saw it and if they did they weren't super crazy about it. It's perfectly believable that folks here wouldn't remember to nominate it in an extremely crowded category where it, frankly, doesn't deserve any attention. Anyway, cinematography is less about camera movement and more about how a shot looks. I'm talking about lens choices, aspect ratios, depth of field, and LIGHTING. If the director says "make my shot look like this," camera movement is comparatively the easiest thing in the world to replicate. All of the nominees (Gravity aside) have shots that were extremely difficult to light properly or get the depth of field right. Lone Survivor looks like it took place in the desert and forest. ....Okay.

That's why Prisoners is going to win, because Villeneuve was a huge dick about his requests for Prisoners. "Okay Roger, we're going to shoot in the rain. I want you to get a shot of Jake going into the forest, but only from behind and such that the light appears to be coming from his flashlight. I want the camera moving like this, and I want Jake looking like this. Oh, and we ain't doing shit in post, so make it look perfect." If he has a French accent, read that in a French accent.

To be entirely honest, Prisoners and 12 Years a Slave were the only two films whose cinematography stuck to me long after I had seen them. There were a number of great films from 2013 that I remembered for a wide variety of reasons. But those were the only two where the camerawork had an effect on me.

And you're right, unless there's a major upset, Prisoners should win.

BTW, I also had that doubt wherein I thought you couldn't vote for Gravity. Did something change? Shouldn't it be disbarred from even appearing on the nomination list if we are going to fair to what Cinematography means (which you and Ken have explained to us on these pages)?

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Gravity has some cinematography in it, so it's technically eligible. It's just that the role of cinematography in accomplishing the visuals is minimized with comparison to the role of the visual effects--almost entirely, in Gravity's case. You could award Gravity's paltry cinematography over other movies that make more robust and consistent use cinematography to achieve their visuals, but why would you want to?

In the case of the Oscars, I think it's a tacit admission that these people don't really understand what it is that a cinematographer does, which makes me wonder about their understanding of the other technical awards.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:28 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:04 pm
Posts: 44
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
So...when is this happening?


Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:57 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm
Posts: 142
Location: South California
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
The Pedro...are you still in LA? Til when?

Also...I love reading these nominations. You guys do a great job of not forgetting films...those that come out early, or foreign, or small, or whatever. I wish I could have voted, but my viewing habits over the past couple of years have gone to shit.

And just to add to the cinematography discussion above, maybe...

We were out of the country last week (a death in the family) and the flight from Miami back to Los Angeles included the small screens on the back of seats with each individual having the options of what "new release" to watch. I decided on All Is Lost while the passengers in front of me chose 12 Years a Slave. Tell me why my vision wasn't constantly being distracted by what they were watching?

_________________
...


Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:30 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
I bet if you were trying to have a quiet conversation with someone in a coffee house and the guy at the next table kept screaming randomly and making fart noises with his armpit, you'd be plenty distracted. That doesn't mean he's more worth listening to.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:48 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 492
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
I'll get to work on it this weekend. Ken, I'll let you know about the Hall of Famers after I sleep some.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm
Posts: 142
Location: South California
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Ken wrote:
I bet if you were trying to have a quiet conversation with someone in a coffee house and the guy at the next table kept screaming randomly and making fart noises with his armpit, you'd be plenty distracted. That doesn't mean he's more worth listening to.


Right...maybe distracted was the wrong word to use. Those images were definitely calling to me, though.

_________________
...


Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:06 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Pedro wrote:
I'll get to work on it this weekend. Ken, I'll let you know about the Hall of Famers after I sleep some.

Image

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:56 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 492
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
ram1312 wrote:
The Pedro...are you still in LA? Til when?

Also...I love reading these nominations. You guys do a great job of not forgetting films...those that come out early, or foreign, or small, or whatever. I wish I could have voted, but my viewing habits over the past couple of years have gone to shit.

And just to add to the cinematography discussion above, maybe...

We were out of the country last week (a death in the family) and the flight from Miami back to Los Angeles included the small screens on the back of seats with each individual having the options of what "new release" to watch. I decided on All Is Lost while the passengers in front of me chose 12 Years a Slave. Tell me why my vision wasn't constantly being distracted by what they were watching?

I'll still accept voting for the Hall of Fame, my good ram. I have returned from Los Angeles.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 492
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Last call for Pedros, you have until midnight PST.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:16 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
ilovemovies wrote:
Although I'm glad Shailene Woodley was nominated, it's a shame her costar, Miles Teller, wasn't nominated since the movie wouldn't have been half the movie it is if it weren't for him. An incredible unsung performance.
.


He wasn't just unsung, he was sort of unmentioned. I liked Shailene Woodley's performance as the realistic vanilla girl but I will always suspect her nomination came about because the people nominating her would like to make out with her, not because she gave one of the best performances of the year. Of course, I nominated Adèle Exarchopoulos partly because I wouldn't scoff at a flip through her vagina.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry for that. I'm going to bed now, for real.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:17 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 492
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Not going to lie, guys. The results are kind of goofy. The winners will be announced in the next few days.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:09 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
Ahhh, I think I forgot the hall of famer I promised you.

You now join my wife in the plethora of people I let down.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:28 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr