Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:27 pm

30th anniversary of "This Is Spinal Tap" - March 2nd 
Second Unit Director

Post 30th anniversary of "This Is Spinal Tap" - March 2nd
Hard to believe this comedy is now 30 years old. It's still funny though with a lot of memorable moments.

Any of you a fan of "This Is Spinal Tap"? Any of you a fan of the group Spinal Tap?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:17 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: 30th anniversary of "This Is Spinal Tap" - March 2nd
There's a local music venue in Milwaukee called "Shank Hall" (the name of the tour stop in Milwaukee in the movie). I think it opened in the early 90's. Back in 1984 Spinal Tap toured to promote the movie, they played at the local University in the ballroom, but the ballroom's name had to be changed to "Shank Hall" for that night only. A buddy of mine was at that show; that would have been a good one to go to.

I liked the story Harry Shearer told about when "Spinal Tap" went out on tour in 2001. One night they had "The Folksmen" (Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Shearer) in the Folksmen costumes (who would later appear in "A Mighty Wind") opening for Spinal Tap. Some people in the audience waiting for Tap didn't care for the Folksmen's brand of music and shouted for them to get off the stage so Spinal Tap could come out and rock the house. "So people boo'd us to get off the stage.....for us", Shearer remarked.

Love Spinal Tap. Some parts of it drag a bit, but the satire is hilarious.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 pm