Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:11 am

Bracket Oscar challenge 
Second Unit Director

Post Bracket Oscar challenge
Curious to see where this ends up in the overall ranking. It sort of puts the whole "Oscars on the right side of history" thing to the test...

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/ful ... s-21639617

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:39 am
Director

Post Re: Bracket Oscar challenge
Interesting. The four corners probably would dwindle down to Return of the King, The Godfather, Schindler's List, and All About Eve/Lawrence of Arabia (more likely the latter? The last corner is the hardest one to predict).

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:51 am
Director

I'm curious what % of voters(or posters here) have seen every Best Pic winner of the last 64 years. I'm guessing a pretty low #(Tom Jones is the only missing one for me, but TCM is showing it next week)

some of these are incredibly hard(French Connection vs Godfather, The Apartment vs Ben Hur, On the Waterfront vs From Here to Eternity, Annie Hall vs The Deer Hunter)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 pm
Director

I'm not sure they did this right. You need proper seedings in a bracket-style tournament. 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc. For example, in that top left bracket, I'd have Return of the King as the No. 1 seed taking on No. 16 Crash in the first round. You can use the IMDB ratings or just approximate your own.

I'd love to see what Bill Simmons, who is equal parts Sports Guy and Movie Buff, would do with this.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:23 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
I'm curious what % of voters(or posters here) have seen every Best Pic winner of the last 64 years. I'm guessing a pretty low #(Tom Jones is the only missing one for me, but TCM is showing it next week)

some of these are incredibly hard(French Connection vs Godfather, The Apartment vs Ben Hur, On the Waterfront vs From Here to Eternity, Annie Hall vs The Deer Hunter)

I've seen 46, which is a solid number, but still leaves close to 20 unseen. The unseen movies skew older (only 5 unseen on the left side of the bracket and none since The English Patient), and I suspect that will be the case for most.

It looks like they just went by year for matchups, which I thought was lazy at first, but liked the more I thought about it. I'm not sure it was intentional, but this way keeps movies of certain eras together and, since most of the voters will have seen many more of the newer releases, prohibits the later rounds from being solely a matchup of newer movies. Two movies made pre-1980 are making the final four. The downside is the tough early round matchups you mentioned. It seems almost unfair for The Deer Hunter or Annie Hall to have to lose in the first round while either Argo or The Artist moves on.

My final four would be: No Country for Old Men, Unforgiven, The Godfather, and Lawrence of Arabia. And I'd probably have LoA win the whole thing.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 pm
Director

Quote:
I've seen 46, which is a solid number, but still leaves close to 20 unseen

Not sure there is a reason for you(or anyone) to see Greatest Show on Earth. Unless you really like clowns. It's not bad or anything, just rather pointless. But then again, so are most popcorn films today(which Greatest surely was in 1952)
But definitely give Marty a shot(if you haven't already)

have you looked at TCM's schedule this month? lots of great stuff, and not just obvious stuff(a marathon of Foreign Language Film nominees were on Monday - Z, Burmese Harp, Babette's Feast. My dvr is getting a workout)

http://31days.tcm.com/2014_31DaysSchedule.pdf

it kicked off last Sat with all 10 nominees for Best Pic of 1939. I tried to tune in when I could, ended up seeing bits and pieces of Stagecoach, Mr. Smith & Wuthering Heights. Have seen all before, but man what a year. Even tuning in at random places in the films it was hard to not keep watching.

Quote:
My final four would be: No Country for Old Men, Unforgiven, The Godfather, and Lawrence of Arabia.

ha, that would be my final 4 as well. I bet this will come down to Return of the King vs Godfather though.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
Quote:
have you looked at TCM's schedule this month? lots of great stuff, and not just obvious stuff(a marathon of Foreign Language Film nominees were on Monday - Z, Burmese Harp, Babette's Feast. My dvr is getting a workout)

http://31days.tcm.com/2014_31DaysSchedule.pdf

it kicked off last Sat with all 10 nominees for Best Pic of 1939. I tried to tune in when I could, ended up seeing bits and pieces of Stagecoach, Mr. Smith & Wuthering Heights. Have seen all before, but man what a year. Even tuning in at random places in the films it was hard to not keep watching.

Thanks for that. I knew they were doing their 31 days of Oscar thing, but I hadn't looked at the schedule. I just made a list of about 20 different movies to DVR. I'd do more, but I'll surely run out of room.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:42 pm
Director

1st round is done, Forrest Gump beat Schindler's List!
All the King's Men beat All About Eve? Around the World beat Marty? I'm now even more sure most voting haven't seen any of the 50s winners.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:46 pm
Director

Terms of Endearment beat Amadeus, jeez...

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:23 pm
Director

so Forrest Gump beat The Godfather in the final. Go figure.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:59 pm
Director

Sometimes I wonder if Forrest Gump is the only movie some people have ever seen.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Cinematographer

I love Forrest Gump and would take it head-to-head against 49 of the other movies. I would even give it over Schindler's List since I can't make myself watch that despair again, but after that? The scary thing to me is the winners out of the 90's look pretty sound compared to most of the other brackets.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:35 pm
Director

I just can't like that movie. The 60s junky-slut flower girl is such a tiresome, misogynistic cliche.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:23 pm