Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:59 pm

When Was the Last Time... 
Director

Post When Was the Last Time...
You laughed AT a movie but still loved it. Like enough to put it in your top 10 for that year. I'm trying to make a clear distinction here. Not laughed WITH the movie, as in a comedy or intentional comic relief. Laughed AT the movie. Laughed at the movie's expense. Were able to make fun of it and riff the hell out of it, but still thought it was a genuine quality work.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:46 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: When Was the Last Time...
Never ever ever. Although to be fair, I can't recall the last time a straight comedy has made my top 10 either. Comedy in film rarely does it for me.

There are movies I love that I don't think are good -- National Treasure 2, Surviving the Game, Nick of Time -- but I don't just laugh at them, I guess.

MGamesCook wrote:
Were able to make fun of it and riff the hell out of it, but still thought it was a genuine quality work.

This seems like a very different question than your first one, which is essentially asking about "so bad it's good" films. What do you mean by "quality"? I cannot fathom coming to that conclusion, unless you're talking about mocking Transformers 3 but appreciating the F/X craftsmanship (which I don't think you're talking about). So I'm a little confused.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 am
Auteur

Well I did see an absolutely terrible slasher film called Axe Em that I couldn't stop laughing at(and believe it or not it actually did get a limited theatrical release in the early 90s, though it didn't get a DVD release until 2002). I certainly wouldn't call it quality work though.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:29 am
Producer

Shade2 wrote:
Never ever ever. Although to be fair, I can't recall the last time a straight comedy has made my top 10 either. Comedy in film rarely does it for me.
There are movies I love that I don't think are good -- National Treasure 2, Surviving the Game, Nick of Time -- but I don't just laugh at them, I guess.

MGamesCook wrote:
Were able to make fun of it and riff the hell out of it, but still thought it was a genuine quality work.

This seems like a very different question than your first one, which is essentially asking about "so bad it's good" films. What do you mean by "quality"? I cannot fathom coming to that conclusion, unless you're talking about mocking Transformers 3 but appreciating the F/X craftsmanship (which I don't think you're talking about). So I'm a little confused.

Sideways is a comedy that comes damn near my alltime top ten. I think the problem is that mainstream comedies significantly = RomComs ... which of course are nearly uniformly shit.

But to Cook's original question, I guess a film like Never Back Down, which is of course laugh-out-loud ridiculous, but is also enjoyable enough to make into my top 10 for 2008.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 am
Assistant Director

Showgirls, apparently. This is likely the most gigantic shift in perception I've ever had: initially laughing along with everyone at the ridiculous excess and then, later, seeing that the movie was beautifully done. Maybe still laughing at some things while believing the movie really deserved a second chance -- really, a first chance

The original Dawn of the Dead has some hilarious moments -- some due to bad acting, some because of dated effects, some because of the overkill violence -- and it would still make my top 20. I love that movie and don't have to take it as seriously as death when watching it in a group.

While we're on the subject of zombies, the remake of Dawn of the Dead is alternately grim and trashy, perfectly ripe for laughing at (the most serious moment, a zombie baby, is also unfortunately hilarious). I really like it and believe it has some greatness within.

There were a lot (A LOT) of trashy movies that I waded through for the Blood-Soaked, Limbs Hacked thread and several of them were both terrible and wonderful, like all great trash should be: Bloodsucking Freaks, The Witch Who Came From The Sea and the Some Kind of Masterpiece Zombi 2 (or Zombie, if you prefer) are all great movies, not necessarily because they're well-crafted or even intentionally good at all. I like that: they're unintentionally good.

Then there's stuff like A Serbian Film that wasn't funny or amusing but pushed so fucking hard that I laughed at least once or twice. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. What else are you going to do but laugh and swear to never watch it again?

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:20 am
Director

Quote:
unless you're talking about mocking Transformers 3 but appreciating the F/X craftsmanship

No that's a good example. Laughable premise, but superb technical prowess would qualify.

The Showgirls and Dawn of the Dead examples are basically what I mean. Maybe I'm really just talking about camp. "Camp" is generally the word used for laughing at a film. And I guess campy doesn't necessarily mean funny. It means funny in a figurative sense, but not a laugh out loud sense.

The Coens have mastered it, and gotten more respect for it than almost anyone else. Anton Chigurh is fairly campy, as are many scenes in that film, but people were also able to take it quite seriously as a good film. And with the Coens, it's never really comic relief. There's nothing to relieve, because the whole thing is pretty funny. And it's not just on-the-nose humor, but more a general sense of amusement. That's what I mean.

I feel like camp is one thing we don't see enough of anymore. It sometimes seems like critics have forgotten that a film can be serious, in fact deadly serious, even about a serious subject, yet still be campy (parts of Munich).

So to sort of restate the topic. A movie that was more campy than funny, but also really good.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:47 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Shade2 wrote:

MGamesCook wrote:

Sideways is a comedy that comes damn near my alltime top ten. I think the problem is that mainstream comedies significantly = RomComs ... which of course are nearly uniformly shit.

But to Cook's original question, I guess a film like Never Back Down, which is of course laugh-out-loud ridiculous, but is also enjoyable enough to make into my top 10 for 2008.

I like most rom-coms, but it's too bad that comedy films in general stand little chance of winning any awards.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 am
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
Showgirls, apparently. This is likely the most gigantic shift in perception I've ever had: initially laughing along with everyone at the ridiculous excess and then, later, seeing that the movie was beautifully done. Maybe still laughing at some things while believing the movie really deserved a second chance -- really, a first chance

The original Dawn of the Dead has some hilarious moments -- some due to bad acting, some because of dated effects, some because of the overkill violence -- and it would still make my top 20. I love that movie and don't have to take it as seriously as death when watching it in a group.

While we're on the subject of zombies, the remake of Dawn of the Dead is alternately grim and trashy, perfectly ripe for laughing at (the most serious moment, a zombie baby, is also unfortunately hilarious). I really like it and believe it has some greatness within.

There were a lot (A LOT) of trashy movies that I waded through for the Blood-Soaked, Limbs Hacked thread and several of them were both terrible and wonderful, like all great trash should be: Bloodsucking Freaks, The Witch Who Came From The Sea and the Some Kind of Masterpiece Zombi 2 (or Zombie, if you prefer) are all great movies, not necessarily because they're well-crafted or even intentionally good at all. I like that: they're unintentionally good.

Then there's stuff like A Serbian Film that wasn't funny or amusing but pushed so fucking hard that I laughed at least once or twice. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. What else are you going to do but laugh and swear to never watch it again?

Speaking of the Limbs Hacked thread, did you ever get around to seeing Reform School Girls?

I did finally see A Serbian Film when I found out it was on Youtube, there was some nervous laughter but for the most part I was just stunned into silence.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:12 am
Director

Although it wouldn't break my top 10 of that year, from reading through this thread I guess Drag Me to Hell might qualify. There are some intentionally ridiculous stuff, and many that are not (the lead's acting, for once), but I had a blast with it.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:18 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
You laughed AT a movie but still loved it. Like enough to put it in your top 10 for that year. I'm trying to make a clear distinction here. Not laughed WITH the movie, as in a comedy or intentional comic relief. Laughed AT the movie. Laughed at the movie's expense. Were able to make fun of it and riff the hell out of it, but still thought it was a genuine quality work.

That's a tall order. I'm not sure this question is answerable for me, because my philosophy tends to be that if I'm laughing with the movie, the movie is doing something purposely to elicit that laughter... therefore, by its own standards--the standards it ought to be judged by--it is of good quality. It utilizes technique to deliver the story in precisely the manner that it intends, even if that technique appears superficially to be "bad" by the standards we're accustomed to using.

And really, isn't it a mistake to assume something is "bad" for doing intentional camp? The Batman TV series from the '60s, for example. A lot of people rope it into the "so bad, it's funny" category--they assume it is the way that it is because people back then didn't know any better. Like hell, they didn't. They knew they were making a campy, bizarre comedy, they wanted to make a campy, bizarre comedy, and if you're laughing, it's because that's what they were going for.

I know I'm off on a tangent here.

I will say this: there are plenty of movies I love and find blisteringly entertaining for reasons that the filmmakers clearly didn't intend, and I would not hesitate to put one of them on a top 10 list if it were entertaining enough. Entertainment is entertainment, after all.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:28 am
Auteur

peng wrote:
Although it wouldn't break my top 10 of that year, from reading through this thread I guess Drag Me to Hell might qualify. There are some intentionally ridiculous stuff, and many that are not (the lead's acting, for once), but I had a blast with it.

I was left bitterly dissapointed by that film, for me it was easily Raimi's worst film to date, everything about it felt pedestrian, the acting was lousy the scares were lame and telegraphed light years in advance, the CGI was terrible etc, and the ending was absolutely horrible and unbelievably stupid. I was too angry to laugh at that film.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:51 am
Producer

Ken wrote:

And really, isn't it a mistake to assume something is "bad" for doing intentional camp? The Batman TV series from the '60s, for example. A lot of people rope it into the "so bad, it's funny" category--they assume it is the way that it is because people back then didn't know any better. Like hell, they didn't. They knew they were making a campy, bizarre comedy, they wanted to make a campy, bizarre comedy, and if you're laughing, it's because that's what they were going for.

What on Earth do you mean??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGl6OlSczdU

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 am
Director

The closest thing I can think of is The Cabin in the Woods. I know the movie was satirizing all kinds of horror staples, but even when it tried to get serious and get us to care about various characters' fates, I was still grinning and laughing at the twists it took.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:48 pm
Cinematographer

I can't really think of a movie where I've laughed at it much for unintended reasons where I then considered it good after it was over. I have laughed at some parts of good movies because I considered something over-the-top. Rocky comes to mind. I considered the amount of punishment being endured by the fighters to be unrealistic to the point that I actually laughed out loud, but I think the film is a very good one overall.

I do enjoy many like Ken described which are intentionally campy, but that was the desired result from the production. Things like the Batman TV show, I'm Gonna Get You Sucka, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, some of the Troma productions.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:00 pm
Auteur

KWRoss wrote:
The closest thing I can think of is The Cabin in the Woods. I know the movie was satirizing all kinds of horror staples, but even when it tried to get serious and get us to care about various characters' fates, I was still grinning and laughing at the twists it took.

I found that movie more annoying then clever, as satire it failed miserably. The stoner character irritated the hell out of me, I couldn't tell whether that was intentional or not.

The ending especially annoyed me with
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the final girl's hesitatation to kill him to save the world at the end, I didn't find it at all believable, if it were me I would've killed that annoying little shit without a second thought

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:14 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Speaking of the Limbs Hacked thread, did you ever get around to seeing Reform School Girls?

No, it has been off my radar for a while but now that I'm reminded of it, well, I'll wait and see how I can find a copy. I ended up watching Men Behind The Sun, Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS, Thriller: A Cruel Picture, I Spit On Your Grave, Lady Snowblood, Nekromantik and Coffy. I would still have a good number to watch to finish up that thread.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:28 pm
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
Vexer wrote:

No, it has been off my radar for a while but now that I'm reminded of it, well, I'll wait and see how I can find a copy. I ended up watching Men Behind The Sun, Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS, Thriller: A Cruel Picture, I Spit On Your Grave, Lady Snowblood, Nekromantik and Coffy. I would still have a good number to watch to finish up that thread.

You can get it pretty cheap on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Reform-School-Girls-Linda-Carol/dp/B00004Y6C4

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:32 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Vexer wrote:

You can get it pretty cheap on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Reform-School-Girls-Linda-Carol/dp/B00004Y6C4

Or, someone else could get it on Amazon and have it shipped to me. Under those circumstances, I'll write 2,000 words about whatever the hell you want to buy me.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:24 pm
Second Unit Director

There's a part of me that thinks Batman Returns and Batman Forever might qualify here. The first Batman was pure meh, and Batman and Robin was pure bat guano. But the middle two, while kind of bad and I think unintentionally cheesy at times, are put together just well enough have a certain over the top charm to them as well. I mean I get that they were kind of intended to be campy to certain degree, but by todays standards, they feel like almost pure cheese. I don't think I would consider either to be Top 10 of any year, but they do work as entertainment in ways the filmmakers didn't intend.
-Jeremy

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Director

thered47 wrote:
There's a part of me that thinks Batman Returns and Batman Forever might qualify here. The first Batman was pure meh, and Batman and Robin was pure bat guano. But the middle two, while kind of bad and I think unintentionally cheesy at times, are put together just well enough have a certain over the top charm to them as well. I mean I get that they were kind of intended to be campy to certain degree, but by todays standards, they feel like almost pure cheese. I don't think I would consider either to be Top 10 of any year, but they do work as entertainment in ways the filmmakers didn't intend.
-Jeremy

I think Batman Returns is still the best Batman movie to date. A cool phantasmagoric production. The camp is one of the main reasons why I like it.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42 pm