Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
How good is Skyfall? 
Producer

Post Re: How good is Skyfall?
Ken wrote:

Despite being a British character, James Bond is a part of that tradition, at least in the novels and some of the better movies. Bond's hedonism has its appeal on a level of pure titillation for sure, but it comes from an inner core of loneliness and malaise. Particularly in the earlier novels, Bond's tendency to live it up is in proportion with the level of danger in his mission. He lives largest when he's courting death, and he leads a much more conservative lifestyle when he's not on the job. This is something that a lot of the movies ignore, but not all of them--that Bond the hedonist is inseparable from Bond the death-seeker.

I agree with that. In this sense, Bond is a relic of the empire.

People talk about Connery and Craig being the best Bonds. I think there is something beyond acting about that. Both of them reflect something about Britain and their own time.

Connery looked like an aristocratic Brit in one sense, but his physique and lifestyle captured the Nu Britain of the swinging 60s.

Craig is more of a "do what's necessary" kind of chap. Despite the received accent and exceptional wearing of suits (he does suit-wearing very well) there's a base-level thuggery about his MO that recognises Britain's matter-of-fact decline in world status. We now have to roll our sleeves up and wrestle in the gutter, we can no longer depend on our perceived status as effortless, benevolent winners in the world order.

Perhaps Connery and Craig are both lucky that their personalities and even physical features reflect the world that their Bond tenures exist(ed) in. Perhaps it's more than luck . Perhaps it's remarkable foresight and observation from the people involved.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:04 am
Producer

Attachment:
Intro.JPG
Intro.JPG [ 21.79 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]

Attachment:
Shangai.JPG
Shangai.JPG [ 37.35 KiB | Viewed 501 times ]

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:37 am
Producer

Attachment:
Shangai 3.JPG
Shangai 3.JPG [ 16 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]

Attachment:
Island.JPG
Island.JPG [ 33.71 KiB | Viewed 522 times ]

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:39 am
Producer

Attachment:
Silverine.JPG
Silverine.JPG [ 23.15 KiB | Viewed 495 times ]
Attachment:
Back at Bond.JPG
Back at Bond.JPG [ 25.6 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 am
Producer

Attachment:
Scotland 1.JPG
Scotland 1.JPG [ 23.01 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

Attachment:
Scotland 3.JPG
Scotland 3.JPG [ 19.28 KiB | Viewed 494 times ]

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:41 am
Producer

Attachment:
Scotland 3b.JPG
Scotland 3b.JPG [ 20.95 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]
Attachment:
Scotland 4.JPG
Scotland 4.JPG [ 20.75 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 am
Producer

Attachment:
Scotland 5.JPG
Scotland 5.JPG [ 18.87 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
Attachment:
Scotland 6.JPG
Scotland 6.JPG [ 18.1 KiB | Viewed 491 times ]

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:44 am
Producer

I could go on.

Like one Australian reviewer said - "Action films just don't look like this"

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:45 am
Producer

Regarding regular people being inextricable from the establishment that they rail against...

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 pm
Cinematographer

Pretty, but to me, that's not enough. I know I'm in the minority, but I wasn't that impressed other than by the great direction and cinematography.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Honestly, some of the mixed feelings about Skyfall is how I know it's good. A good movie is always polarizing to some extent, and the enthusiasm Skyfall's fans exhibit strikes me as extremely rational and self-aware. People who've seen all 23 films multiple times feel that Skyfall is one of the better ones. It's not Citizen Kane. I don't think rabid, unrestrained enthusiasm can be trusted really. I know it's what people want to see, but I don't understand why. Passion should be for movies, not for one movie.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:28 am
Producer

Yeah. There's something to be said for a movie that's appealing enough to reach everybody, but even the best movie that can do that is probably not reaching very many of those people on a personal, singular level. Movies that are more selective in their appeal aren't going to win the whole audience over, but the people that they win over, they really win over.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:47 am
Producer

I've been an on/off Bond junky for 25 years.

The First ever Bond I watched was Live and Let Die. When my Mum and Dad seperated in 89, my Dad rented a house of a friend who'd gone teaching in Brazil or somewhere. Anyway, this guy had a cupboard full of VHS, and clearly had a Bond fettish. For 18 months, every Saturday night I binged on Live and Let Die, For Your Eyes, Octopussy etc. He also had a few SC's, but at the time I found them boring, not campy enough.

For a while, A View to a Kill was my favourite. A view to a fucking kill!!! Roger Moore pushing 60, Chris Walken with white hair,Grace Jones shoulder pressing grown men - fucking crazy!!

I mentally switched off Brosnan, and in hindsight, didn't miss awful much.

I guess Craig's era coincides with what I personally want from the franchise. A grown-up, classy looking reboot. The post-2005 revamp has hit me just as profoundly as it did 25 years ago, but obviously for different reasons. If I was a meglomaniac and/or insane, i'd say Bond was always passing coded messages to me ... but I don't ... all the time anyway

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:34 pm
Director

Along with Star Wars, Bond used to be my cultural blind spot until JB has me curious in checking it out. I plan to finish all of them at some point for completist's sake, but I skipped 5 of them (or 7 if you count Never Say Never Again and the spoof) based on his 2.5-or-lower rating, especially since some of his three star Bonds are not very good for me either.

Sean Connery is going along very well until Thunderball, which I find really dull. His two entries after that are better but not much.

Roger Moore never did much for me because of the goofiness and how his movies go well over two hours, although I liked For Your Eyes Only, because of the back-to-basic feeling of it, and The Spy Who Loved Me, because of the production value.

Licence to Kill is among my favorite, so I guess I should get back to the other Dalton too.

I liked Pierce Brosnan a fair bit. I feel like his films are what the Roger Moore ones attempt to do but done right. Golden Eye is really good, his two after are solid, although I skip his last one.

Craig era is my favorite because of the reason you said, and also the consistency in quality.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:59 pm
Auteur

I think you should check out Die Another Day, I have a certain fondness for that film since it was the very first Bond movie I ever saw.

Live Or Let Die I would recommend avoiding as it's pretty dull and has the worst character in the entire franchise in the form of a racist and annoying sheriff, plus some of the black stereotypes in the film I found a bit off-putting.

Man With The Golden Gun is the worst entry of them all(aside from the spoof), it's painfully unfunny and way too goofy for it's own good.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:23 pm
Producer

Never was a big Roger Moore fan, though I think he and Brosnan had the best Q scenes.

For the record, the best Q scene in the entire series is in GoldenEye.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:40 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Never was a big Roger Moore fan, though I think he and Brosnan had the best Q scenes.

For the record, the best Q scene in the entire series is in GoldenEye.

Definitely don't agree with that, I thought it was one of the worst and blandest. My favorite Q stuff has to be License to Kill, love his large role in that. Octopussy and Diamonds have funny Q stuff as well.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:04 pm
Producer

If Timothy Dalton said "Go home, Q" one more time, I was going to reach back in time and slap the Welsh out of him.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:13 pm
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I could go on.

Skyfall is among best Bond's films in my view, I enjoyed it and looking forward to director Sam Mendes next entry even without Deakins.

Speaking of Australian reviewers here is a ranking from Australian Garth Franklin.

Berardinelli is my top favourite movie critic in the world as while we do not agree all the time is the one I most agree with but if you narrow among Australians then my favourite Australian Film reviewer is Garth Franklin the owner of Dark Horizons who is top reviewer in Rotten Tomatoes (Again we do not agree all the time but I found his Bond ranking very good)

In fact any critic that goes the effort of ranking all Bond films is in my top list of critics. Hey Peter Travers , I am talking to you ;-)

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Critic

unwindfilms wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
I could go on.

Skyfall is among best Bond's films in my view, I enjoyed it and looking forward to director Sam Mendes next entry even without Deakins.

Speaking of Australian reviewers here is a ranking from Australian Garth Franklin.

Berardinelli is my top favourite movie critic in the world as while we do not agree all the time is the one I most agree with but if you narrow among Australians then my favourite Australian Film reviewer is Garth Franklin the owner of Dark Horizons who is top reviewer in Rotten Tomatoes (Again we do not agree all the time but I found his Bond ranking very good)

In fact any critic that goes the effort of ranking all Bond films is in my top list of critics. Hey Peter Travers , I am talking to you ;-)

Those rankings by Garth Franklin were good until You Only Live Twice cracked the Top 5

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next