Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:41 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
How good is Skyfall? 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 1186
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: How good is Skyfall?
JamesKunz wrote:
Those rankings by Garth Franklin were good until You Only Live Twice cracked the Top 5


YOLT (sorry, couldn't resist) has one of the single greatest sight gags I've seen in any movie, James Bond or otherwise. A man is talking to Bond and he suddenly stops mid-sentence and freezes. Bond looks behind him and discovers he's been stabbed in the back through one of those thin Japanese-style walls. It's way up there on the Unintentional Comedy scale, and it's been a recurring gag among me and my friends too many times to count. :lol:

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:23 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 852
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: How good is Skyfall?
JamesKunz wrote:

Those rankings by Garth Franklin were good until You Only Live Twice cracked the Top 5


Franklin Garth's ranking (the same goes from Travers) only match my own ranking that "Goldfinger" and "From Russia with love" are on top as well as they have Skyfall very high :-) but the writing bit that most enjoyed of Garth's article was :

Quote:
As I said in my "Skyfall" review, I've found the divide amongst Bond fans over the good and bad entries in this series has often been a disagreement of tonal absolutism. Some vehemently insist a gritty, grounded, bleak spy thriller interpretation of Bond is the only way that works. Others like the hyper-real, big spectacle, fun first approach and can't tolerate a dark and grim Bond. Most understand that the best Bond films usually find that perfect balance between said approaches, and by and large they enjoy almost all of them.


I enjoyed all Bond films, there is not a single one of them that I have not seen at least twice :mrgreen:

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 469
Post Re: How good is Skyfall?
JamesKunz wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
I could go on.

Like one Australian reviewer said - "Action films just don't look like this"


Skyfall is among best Bond's films in my view, I enjoyed it and looking forward to director Sam Mendes next entry even without Deakins.

Speaking of Australian reviewers here is a ranking from Australian Garth Franklin.

Berardinelli is my top favourite movie critic in the world as while we do not agree all the time is the one I most agree with but if you narrow among Australians then my favourite Australian Film reviewer is Garth Franklin the owner of Dark Horizons who is top reviewer in Rotten Tomatoes (Again we do not agree all the time but I found his Bond ranking very good)

In fact any critic that goes the effort of ranking all Bond films is in my top list of critics. Hey Peter Travers , I am talking to you ;-)


Those rankings by Garth Franklin were good until You Only Live Twice cracked the Top 5


Now, that's a very misunderstood movie. There are irrefutable facts, which make 'You only Live Twice' the pinnacle of creation, as far as James Bond movies are concerned:

Plot: The villain is abducting spacecraft from a hollowed-out volcano with an integrated monorail and piranha basin.
Acting: Sean Connery disguises himself as a Japanese fishermen.
Dialogue: "You know what it is about you that fascinates them, don't you? It's the hair on your chest. Japanese men all have beautiful bare skin."/"Japanese proverb say, 'Bird never make nest in bare tree.'"
Music: Nancy Sinatra! John Barry!! Nancy Sinatra!!!

Kissy Suzuki my arse, if this isn't the best James Bond movie parody ever!


Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:49 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 852
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: How good is Skyfall?
Unke wrote:
Now, that's a very misunderstood movie. There are irrefutable facts, which make 'You only Live Twice' the pinnacle of creation, as far as James Bond movies are concerned:

Plot: The villain is abducting spacecraft from a hollowed-out volcano with an integrated monorail and piranha basin.
Acting: Sean Connery disguises himself as a Japanese fishermen.
Dialogue: "You know what it is about you that fascinates them, don't you? It's the hair on your chest. Japanese men all have beautiful bare skin."/"Japanese proverb say, 'Bird never make nest in bare tree.'"
Music: Nancy Sinatra! John Barry!! Nancy Sinatra!!!

Kissy Suzuki my arse, if this isn't the best James Bond movie parody ever!


lol. you probably has posted already somewhere else but can you remind us your Bond film ranking, at least I would be interested in seeing it again. If anyone wonders I made a short yt video with a non spoilers mini review of Skyfall (maybe too brief as I was trying hard to avoid spoilers) but probably the most interesting bit is at the end you can find my ranking of all Bond films along with their RT and IMDB scores (at the time of the video)

Cheers

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 469
Post Re: How good is Skyfall?
unwindfilms wrote:
Unke wrote:
Now, that's a very misunderstood movie. There are irrefutable facts, which make 'You only Live Twice' the pinnacle of creation, as far as James Bond movies are concerned:

Plot: The villain is abducting spacecraft from a hollowed-out volcano with an integrated monorail and piranha basin.
Acting: Sean Connery disguises himself as a Japanese fishermen.
Dialogue: "You know what it is about you that fascinates them, don't you? It's the hair on your chest. Japanese men all have beautiful bare skin."/"Japanese proverb say, 'Bird never make nest in bare tree.'"
Music: Nancy Sinatra! John Barry!! Nancy Sinatra!!!

Kissy Suzuki my arse, if this isn't the best James Bond movie parody ever!


lol. you probably has posted already somewhere else but can you remind us your Bond film ranking, at least I would be interested in seeing it again. If anyone wonders I made a short yt video with a non spoilers mini review of Skyfall (maybe too brief as I was trying hard to avoid spoilers) but probably the most interesting bit is at the end you can find my ranking of all Bond films along with their RT and IMDB scores (at the time of the video)

Cheers


Thanks for your interest, unwindfilms, but I'm afraid I have to disappoint you, because I don't have a list at the moment. My favourite Bond movies are Thunderball, Goldfinger and From Russia with Love (all 10/10), followed by Dr. No and You only Live Twice (9/10 each). The worst ones are, in my opinion: Die another Day (2/10), Octopussy (2/10) and Quantum of Solace (3/10).


Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:21 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3999
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: How good is Skyfall?
Unke wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
Unke wrote:
Now, that's a very misunderstood movie. There are irrefutable facts, which make 'You only Live Twice' the pinnacle of creation, as far as James Bond movies are concerned:

Plot: The villain is abducting spacecraft from a hollowed-out volcano with an integrated monorail and piranha basin.
Acting: Sean Connery disguises himself as a Japanese fishermen.
Dialogue: "You know what it is about you that fascinates them, don't you? It's the hair on your chest. Japanese men all have beautiful bare skin."/"Japanese proverb say, 'Bird never make nest in bare tree.'"
Music: Nancy Sinatra! John Barry!! Nancy Sinatra!!!

Kissy Suzuki my arse, if this isn't the best James Bond movie parody ever!


lol. you probably has posted already somewhere else but can you remind us your Bond film ranking, at least I would be interested in seeing it again. If anyone wonders I made a short yt video with a non spoilers mini review of Skyfall (maybe too brief as I was trying hard to avoid spoilers) but probably the most interesting bit is at the end you can find my ranking of all Bond films along with their RT and IMDB scores (at the time of the video)

Cheers


Thanks for your interest, unwindfilms, but I'm afraid I have to disappoint you, because I don't have a list at the moment. My favourite Bond movies are Thunderball, Goldfinger and From Russia with Love (all 10/10), followed by Dr. No and You only Live Twice (9/10 each). The worst ones are, in my opinion: Die another Day (2/10), Octopussy (2/10) and Quantum of Solace (3/10).
I personally quite enjoy DAD and QOS, Octopussy is middle of the road for me.

The Two absolute worst Bond films for me are Man With The Golden Gun and Live And Let Die.


Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jeff Wilder and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr