Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:57 am

Flight 
Producer

Post Flight
Finally caught up with this, and i was quite impressed.

The film is about numerous malfunctions and a degree of neglect leading to an epic disaster .... the man not the plane.

The film taps into a theme or trope that interests me - a life of vice and sin, yet condemned by a great deed. Flight, despite its faults, is a good look at "the coming storm" that people pushing their luck to impossible levels know is appearing on the horizon.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:57 pm
Assistant Director

Post Re: Flight
Meh... Denzel Washington aside, I thought most of it was mediocre. Started strong, but then it meandered towards the middle, and sputtered to the end. I was particularly pissed by the way they handled a specific scene, which I thought would've been crucial.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

The trailer for this was very misleading, Denzel was good but the plot was quite mediocre and far too predictable.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:35 pm
Producer

I thought it was a pretty compelling look at addiction and more specifically the journey that Denzel Washington's character goes through that leads him to finally admit that he's an alcoholic. And how everyone around him, like his lawyer, played by Don Cheadle, and his friend/co-worker, played by Bruce Greenwood, are also complicit in his behavior because they look the other way with his addiction because of how good a pilot he is.

Denzel Washington is incredible in the movie and if Lincoln hadn't come out the same year, I would have said he deserved to win. Unfortunately for Denzel, Lincoln did come out the same year and DDL was deserving of his win. But it's still an incredible performance from one of my favorite actors.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:04 am
Second Unit Director

My hope is that Flight isn't Denzel's last great performance, and it is by all accounts great. Before Flight we got Safe House and Unstoppable and since we've gotten 2 Guns and The Equalizer later this year. Let's face it, these aren't performances, they're paycheques. Denzel's presence is undoubtedly there, and I enjoyed some of those movies because the mans got so much fucking charisma it basically makes everyone else obsolete, but he could play these roles in his sleep. He's getting older, and I'm not criticizing his choices because he's probably enjoying himself, I just hope he's got a few Oscar worthy performances left in him.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:01 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
My hope is that Flight isn't Denzel's last great performance, and it is by all accounts great. Before Flight we got Safe House and Unstoppable and since we've gotten 2 Guns and The Equalizer later this year. Let's face it, these aren't performances, they're paycheques. Denzel's presence is undoubtedly there, and I enjoyed some of those movies because the mans got so much fucking charisma it basically makes everyone else obsolete, but he could play these roles in his sleep. He's getting older, and I'm not criticizing his choices because he's probably enjoying himself, I just hope he's got a few Oscar worthy performances left in him.

I disagree, I don't think Denzel has ever given a single bad performance in any of the films he's been in(though I thought he was better in Two Guns and Safehouse then he was here, if only because the script in this film sometimes gives his character some rather clumsy dialogue to recite), also most critics have praised his performance in The Equalizer

Denzel's already won two Oscars, which is more then most actors will ever win in their entire lifetime, so I think he's at a point where he feels he doesn't need to try and win any more awards.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:58 pm
Second Unit Director

Please point out where I said he's given a bad performance, because I think I basically said the opposite of that.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:23 pm
Auteur

Gedmud wrote:
Please point out where I said he's given a bad performance, because I think I basically said the opposite of that.

My mistake, I just got a little confused by the way you worded your post.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Gedmud wrote:

I've been thinking of starting a thread about this whole idea, but you're spot-on. Denzel's a good actor, but his inherent Denzel-ness permeates everything he does. I think being a Great Actor is a combination of charisma, the ability to be a chameleon, and the ability to evoke some measure of empathy/compassion from the audience. If we rank each one on a scale of 10, Denzel scores 10s in charisma and evoking empathy, but close to zero in the chameleon category.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
I've been thinking of starting a thread about this whole idea, but you're spot-on. Denzel's a good actor, but his inherent Denzel-ness permeates everything he does. I think being a Great Actor is a combination of charisma, the ability to be a chameleon, and the ability to evoke some measure of empathy/compassion from the audience. If we rank each one on a scale of 10, Denzel scores 10s in charisma and evoking empathy, but close to zero in the chameleon category.

That's an interesting idea and one that I've thought of before. Now as I think about it again though I'm wondering if he's ever done a role where he actually is a chameleon as you call it. I can't in good conscious strip him of great actor status, because I fully believe he is great but now I'm not sure how to define that. What are we to make of his performance in say Training Day as an example? He is absolutely great, but he is absolutely Denzel. I think there are lots of actors who always seem themselves in everything they do, but are there any who do this while still creating quality like Denzel?

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:56 am
Director

I'll add that Denzel should have three Oscars. He was insanely good in Malcolm X, and should have won for that film. But that was the year the Academy decided to give Pacino a lifetime achievement Oscar for Scent of a Woman, when he should have won for The Godfather or Serpico.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:55 pm