Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:50 am

Justice League animated direct to video Movies 
Assistant Director

Post Justice League animated direct to video Movies
Now that the live action Justice League Film is taking shape and probably to be shown in 2017 (after a set up in 2016 with Batman/Superman/WW movie) , I want to review the direct to video series:

Justice League : War (2014)
    Justice League : The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)
    Justice League : Doom (2012)
    Justice league : Crisis on two Earths (2010)
    Justice League : The New Frontier (2008)

I will go in decreasing release date as I will have to watch again from 2013 to 2008. Feedback as usual is appreciated

Justice League : War (2014) : In 2011, DC Comics re-launched all of their comics in what they called The New 52 to refresh their brand. The Super Heroes were made a bit younger, costumes were also a bit re-designed, and origin stories were some times tweaked (probably the most tweaked was Wonder Woman) . Here, DC Animated with director Jay Oliva is embracing the New 52 by adapting its flagship comic, Justice League: Origin by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee where the Justice League come together for the first time to take on the very powerful aliens leaded by Darkseid and his army of Parademons.

The JL roster includes Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Shazam and Cyborg. If you read the comic will note that Aquaman was replaced by Shazam (Stay for the after-credits scene and will see a clue for the absence of Aquaman) . The only character with origin story is Cyborg. I personally enjoyed the interactions between Batman - Green Lantern and Cyborg - Shazam. Wonder Woman performance here was uneven, while in combat she looked very heroic and entertaining but off combat she was pointing her sword to civilians with strong attitude that took charisma away from her (I guess , she was recently out of Paradise Island and needed to learn some polite manners among non Amazonians lol).

The plot is thin basically "Earth is invaded by powerful Aliens" but the super heroes interactions are so heroic and entertaining that it makes up for it.

My Score : 3 Stars
IMDB : 7.2 (from 1628 votes)

Attachments:
JL War.jpg
JL War.jpg [ 26.42 KiB | Viewed 390 times ]

Last edited by unwindfilms on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: Justice League animated direct to video Movies
I love these films, the Dark Knight films are by far my absolute faves, I also love Year One, Under The Red Hood, Flashpoint, Doom and now War. I can't wait for Son Of Batman and the Arkham Asylum film(forgot what it was called).

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:55 am
Producer

Of the five listed, I've only seen New Frontier, which was creative but too short for its own good, and Flashpoint, which was abysmal.

I think the otherwise excellent DC animation guys faltered when they went from TV to direct-to-video movies, but they did a great job on The Dark Knight Returns. All-Star Superman has a lot going for it too, but it's probably incomprehensible for people who weren't familiar with the comics going in.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:10 am
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Of the five listed, I've only seen New Frontier, which was creative but too short for its own good, and Flashpoint, which was abysmal.

I think the otherwise excellent DC animation guys faltered when they went from TV to direct-to-video movies, but they did a great job on The Dark Knight Returns. All-Star Superman has a lot going for it too, but it's probably incomprehensible for people who weren't familiar with the comics going in.

I wasn't familiar with the comics and I understood the film well enough.

Definitely wouldn't call Flashpoint abysmal though, I was blown away by the battle scenes.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:20 am
Director

Good thread. I've been meaning to check some of these out.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:27 am
Director

Only seen War, and didn't like it much. But I've heard from more expert people that it's one of the few missteps and that DC animated films have been very strong in general.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:28 am
Assistant Director

Justice League : The Flashpoint Paradox (2013): Based on the graphic novel : Flashpoint by Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert (the ending launches The New 52 series) this animated video directed again by Jay Oliva has The Flash in the central role and the rest of the Justice league members as supporting characters. The story this time is gritty with some dark humour and mini twist after mini twist that keep you guessing. In a nutshell and avoiding unravelling major twists , Barry Allen (The Flash) wakes up in an alternative reality universe where initially he does not has super powers but has the mission to restore to his origin reality as the world is headed to destruction mainly due a feud between Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Superman apparently does not exist here (maybe the reason why Ken did not like it lol) , Batman is a merciless superhero that carries guns and drinks who becomes the main ally of Barry plus Cyborg who is also the Government representative. In my view, while The Flash is the one who mainly carries the movie, it is the alternate Batman who shines the most ;-)

My Score: 3 Stars 1/4
IMDB : 8.0 (from 6979 votes)

Attachments:
JL Flashpoint.jpg
JL Flashpoint.jpg [ 27.52 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Justice League : Doom (2012) Directed by Lauren Montgomery with a script by Dwayne McDuffy which was loosely based on JLA : Tower of Babel by Mark Waid and here is a major spoiler but it is every where even in the back cover of the blu ray lol: Main villain Vandal Savage steals confidential files Batman has compiled on weaknesses of the JL members and uses against them via his members of the Legion of Doom (Bane, Cheetah, Metallo, Star Zaphire, Mirror Master and Ma'alefa'ak ) to take the JL down so no body can stop him in his grander plan .

The Justice League roster , in this video, are: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Martian Hunter and Cyborg

I found this story even with the predictable plot still entertaining to watch. In fact, I was not bored in watching it second time

My Score: 3 Stars
IMDB : 7.4 (from 9609 votes)

Attachments:
JL Doom.jpg
JL Doom.jpg [ 19.96 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:04 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Justice League : Crisis on two Earths (2010) : Originally intended to be a bridge between the TV shows Justice league and Justice league Unlimited (Shows that I did not get to see but Ken has in high regard) and with the premise of JLA: Earth2 graphic novel, ended up as the 7th DC Universe Animated Original Movie with a screenplay of Dwayne McDuffie and directors Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery.
An heroic version of Lex Luthor from a parallel earth comes to the Justice League reality for help to fight their evil counter parts known as the Crime Syndicate. So here are the main players for JL/Crime Syndicate:
    Superman/Ultraman
    Batman/Owlman
    Wonder Woman/Superwoman
    The Flash/Johnny Quick
    Green Lantern/Power Ring
    Martian Hunter/J'edd J'arkus
The animation/cinematography of this video is very good. Enjoyed The Flash quick wit (apparently his signature in the TV shows). The plot is easy to follow except a bit at the end where it gets philosophical between Batman and Owlman, but I liked in particular answer the question for people who think that with multiple universes stories you do not care anymore to get invested in one in particular lol. The only downsize I noticed was that it gets too cramped with secondary characters in a video of only 1 hour 15 minutes.

My Score: 3 1/4 Stars
IMDB: 7.3 (from 8,288 voters)

Attachments:
JL Crisis on 2 earths.jpg
JL Crisis on 2 earths.jpg [ 25.46 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]
JL Watchtower.JPG
JL Watchtower.JPG [ 17.29 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Justice League : The New Frontier (2008)
The second DC/WB direct to video movie is set between 1953-1960 and is about the Super Heroes and US military joining forces against a very powerful evil sentient entity known as the Centre. Directed by Dave Bullock and written by Stan Berkowitz wiith visual consultant Darwyn Cooke. Wonder Woman body and custome was not of my liking but her performance was good. Green Lantern gets an origin story. The JLA core for this film are Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Hunter but many other superheroes have brief appearances. I am not a fan of comic book based films where the main enemy is an entity.
My Score: 2 3/4 Stars
IMDB : 7.1

Attachments:
JL new Frontier.JPG
JL new Frontier.JPG [ 18.56 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
WW New Frontier.JPG
WW New Frontier.JPG [ 21.96 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

My Ranking:

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I want to take the opportunity of this thread to post the files of some Justice League members from the DC Comics database (team pic attached) , I will do them in tiers:

The most famous

The relatively known

The Least known

Some of the Justice League enemies

Attachments:
JL.JPG
JL.JPG [ 60.02 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:16 am
Profile WWW