Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:52 am

How are the movie theaters in your area? 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post How are the movie theaters in your area?
Simple - how would you rate your local multiplexes? (Staff, cleanliness, technology, patrons, etc.). For me, there are two Regal-owned theaters near me, a 14-plex and a 12-plex (they're literally right down the street from each other). The latter has stadium seating, and they're both pretty nice. Never had any major complaints.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Post Re: How are the movie theaters in your area?
Near me I have one Cinemark owned multiplex which has 17 screens and stadium seating and has pretty reasonable prices. It also has an arcade with some cool games.

There's also a Marcus owned 20 screen multiplex which is slightly more pricey then the Cinemark theater, but has more showtimes for it's films and typically holds on to films for longer then the Tinseltown theater. It also has it's own rewards card which you can redeem for points to spend on tickets among other things. It has some arcade games but they're not in best condition, the seating is supeb though. It also has brand-new ultrascreens(not as big as IMAX, but fairly close) though that dosen't really interest me as I prefer watching films on regular sized theater screens.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:41 am
Director

My situation is pretty nice. I live in Laurel, MD, so I've got a boatload of stuff 10-20 min from me. An 8-plex in Beltsville which is kind of old (no stadium seating) but it'll do in a pinch. Two newer ones in Columbia, a very nice one in downtown Silver Spring (with an IMAX screen or two), and if I fancy an independent film, I'll hop on the Metro and head to DC or drive over to Bethesda Row Cinema.

I am intruiged by this Drafthouse theater that Dustin Putman raves about. It's in Northern VA, which is a little under an hour away from me, but I'll try it someday.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:17 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
My situation is pretty nice. I live in Laurel, MD, so I've got a boatload of stuff 10-20 min from me. An 8-plex in Beltsville which is kind of old (no stadium seating) but it'll do in a pinch. Two newer ones in Columbia, a very nice one in downtown Silver Spring (with an IMAX screen or two), and if I fancy an independent film, I'll hop on the Metro and head to DC or drive over to Bethesda Row Cinema.

I am intruiged by this Drafthouse theater that Dustin Putman raves about. It's in Northern VA, which is a little under an hour away from me, but I'll try it someday.

The E Street theater in DC is currently showing the Oscar nominated shorts, both live-action and animated. I'm probably going to check them out at some point between now and the Oscars. I've always thought it's cool that they do that.

The Bethesda Row Cinema is amazing. They remodeled a year or two ago and I love that you get to choose an assigned seat and that the seats are large and comfy. They also have a nice bar where you can grab a drink if you get there early. It's just a great place to watch a movie. Kunz has been there a few times, I wonder if he's been since they remodeled?

In addition to the large mulitplex you mentioned, downtown Silver Spring also has the AFI theater, which is my personal favorite. They're showing Point Blank this weekend, and I've been wanting to see that for a while, so I might do just that.

Does Putman rave about the drafthouse in Arlington? I don't read him regularly, but I've heard good things about that place.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 pm
Director

The Warren Theatre is nine miles from my house and is really outstanding, with a huge IMAX, two other large screens and about a dozen smaller ones. It's easily the best movie theatre I've been to. I do wish they'd stop advertising their sound system. The former Spotlight (now a Regal) has 14 screens and used to be good, but has deteriorated since Regal bought them. The other local theaters are nothing special except for the one in Quail Springs Mall, which is a 24 screen AMC and often gets movies that are showing nowhere else. Normally I don't like movie theaters in malls, but this is an exception. It's spacious, next to a food court, and very clean and personable. Drawback is that it's a 40 minute drive.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
It also has brand-new ultrascreens(not as big as IMAX, but fairly close) though that dosen't really interest me as I prefer watching films on regular sized theater screens.

You don't want to see the film in the biggest best way possible? That's like me saying, "I have an awesome 65" LED on my wall, but I'd rather just watch the movie on a 27" CRT peasant tv.

KWRoss wrote:
I am intruiged by this Drafthouse theater that Dustin Putman raves about.

Drafthouse theaters are some of the best in the country. They have the biggest, most comfortable seats. You can enjoy cocktails as well as actual meals. They will kick anybody out for talking, having their phones out (even if on silent), etc...and I believe they won't let you in if you are late. Going along with the last statement, they have a staff that actually cares about films and customers and they are the best in the business. They also have the latest technology and don't do things to cut corners, like saving money my turning down bulb brightness etc.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:14 pm
Director

I live in a rural area. The theaters are mostly crappy and play crap. However, there's a college town about thirty miles away from where I live, and there's a four screen theater that's pretty nice and plays good stuff. Still, it isn't like when I I lived in Philly.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
It also has brand-new ultrascreens(not as big as IMAX, but fairly close) though that dosen't really interest me as I prefer watching films on regular sized theater screens.

You don't want to see the film in the biggest best way possible? That's like me saying, "I have an awesome 65" LED on my wall, but I'd rather just watch the movie on a 27" CRT peasant tv.

KWRoss wrote:
I am intruiged by this Drafthouse theater that Dustin Putman raves about.

Drafthouse theaters are some of the best in the country. They have the biggest, most comfortable seats. You can enjoy cocktails as well as actual meals. They will kick anybody out for talking, having their phones out (even if on silent), etc...and I believe they won't let you in if you are late. Going along with the last statement, they have a staff that actually cares about films and customers and they are the best in the business. They also have the latest technology and don't do things to cut corners, like saving money my turning down bulb brightness etc.

Not really, for me bigger dosen't automatically mean better. The normal sized screens at Marcus are plenty big enough for me. Same goes with TVs, i'd really rather not have a 65 inch screen, and even if I did want one I don't have anywhere near enough room for one.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm
Cinematographer

I haven't been to a theater outside of town for quite awhile. I'm pretty sure those around here can be described as average. No luxury theaters that I know and not much difference between the two chains in the area. One little 4 screen nearby plays mostly independent and art house films. I don't frequent it, but it was the only place I could catch Bernie and The Tree of Life in the last couple of years.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 pm
Director

Vexer has a point. IMAX screens can be overwhelming, which would be too distracting for something like American Hustle or Her, but well-suited for Gravity and the Hobbit movies.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 pm
Producer

Syd Henderson wrote:
Vexer has a point. IMAX screens can be overwhelming, which would be too distracting for something like American Hustle or Her, but well-suited for Gravity and the Hobbit movies.

I've actually had an idea for a thread brewing on this very subject that I want to get up soon once I've had some time to think about the wording of it. I've had some thoughts lately on how we differentiate between movies worth seeing on the big screen and movies worth watching at home, and while I do think there's an appropriate dichotomy there, I think we tend to demarcate them in a way that doesn't quite reflect their demarcation in reality. I think you're onto something essential when you draw a parallel between the scale of the movie and the scale of the screen it's shown on.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I've actually had an idea for a thread brewing on this very subject that I want to get up soon once I've had some time to think about the wording of it. I've had some thoughts lately on how we differentiate between movies worth seeing on the big screen and movies worth watching at home, and while I do think there's an appropriate dichotomy there, I think we tend to demarcate them in a way that doesn't quite reflect their demarcation in reality. I think you're onto something essential when you draw a parallel between the scale of the movie and the scale of the screen it's shown on.

There are definitely some films that I feel play much better at home then they do in a theater, usually that's the case with drama films as nothing is worse then someone in the audience being obnoxious and ruining the mood.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:26 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

There are two theaters that I go to for original language films here in Munich, Cinema and Gloria Film Palace. The Cinema is nice, but the Gloria is wonderful. Greeted with champagne when you come in, free coat check, fantastic menu served to your seat (not during the film, of course) leather seats that recline with built-in footrests (don't even get me started on the balcony!), and a gloriously big screen (though not IMAX, closest IMAX to me is three hours away). Of course this comes with a price. Regular tickets are €17.50 (about $20) but for a treat, that's where I like to go. Saw the Hobbit there, Gravity, and this weekend, they're showing 2001! Wheee!

http://www.gloria-palast.de/gloriapalast

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm