Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:15 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Lego Movie (2014) 
Author Message
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 199
Post The Lego Movie (2014)
I know we've had some fun here and there with the idea of James reviewing The Lego Movie, but I do have to confess.... just based on the TV spots, it does have a fun and creative vibe to it - something in the Toy Story mold. I am not planning on rushing out to see it, but am certainly interested in hearing from those who do.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:20 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Taleswapper wrote:
I know we've had some fun here and there with the idea of James reviewing The Lego Movie, but I do have to confess.... just based on the TV spots, it does have a fun and creative vibe to it - something in the Toy Story mold. I am not planning on rushing out to see it, but am certainly interested in hearing from those who do.

I am watching it this weekend. Both The Dissolve and IGN gave it glowing reviews. Keith Phipps of The Dissolve in particular said that it is Essential Viewing, which is what made me go out and book the tickets for Sunday.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 601
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
I'm not personally looking forward to it other than hoping my kids will really enjoy it - they've been playing LEGO superhero video games for years and are hooked on many LEGO characters. I'll be seeing it soon, probably Saturday afternoon with my daughter.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:32 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
I'm greatly looking forward to it, and the reviews that have been coming in only make me more excited. I thought 21 Jump Street was hilarious and clever (and have heard the same about Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs), and this looks like it takes that up a level. I'm hoping it's as funny and fun as it looks.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 199
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Oh, and Will Arnett voicing Batman? Brilliant casting! :)


Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:48 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 226
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
When I saw the trailers for this I thought it looked awful. Now, 98% on RT (would expect it to retain a low 90's by the weekend) and it isn't looking so bad. Fully expect AW to bash the commercialism aspects...

Yeah, Will Arnett has some awesome pipes. He should've been doing voiceover work for years.

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:25 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2014
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
I thought it looked like fun. Probably won't get to it this weekend, but I can try later. I'm a big fan of The Brick Testament (the Lego Bible) so I know people can do really clever things with them.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Looks like a pretty strong contender for worst film of 2014 if you ask me, i'll be staying FAR away from this one for as long as I live. This has to be by far the stupidest and laziest idea Hollywood has ever come up with.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:32 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
ok


Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Posts: 199
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Syd Henderson wrote:
I'm a big fan of The Brick Testament (the Lego Bible) so I know people can do really clever things with them.


This makes me happy. :)


Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:42 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 388
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Vexer wrote:
Looks like a pretty strong contender for worst film of 2014 if you ask me, i'll be staying FAR away from this one for as long as I live. This has to be by far the stupidest and laziest idea Hollywood has ever come up with.


Yeah, it is a stupid and lazy idea. I mean, who would ever think of making a children's toys into a movie? Next thing we kow, there's gonna be movies about robots which can transform into cars, soldiers who are called "Joes" or even a board game about sinking ships. Ridiculous!

I hope all parents here, who'll go to see the film, will post their reviews, because I'm seriously considering to take my three year old twins to their first ever movie. (They're a bit young for that, I know). Either that or going to Legoland in Billund, Denmark. That's just a three hours drive from where I live.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:52 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Unke wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Looks like a pretty strong contender for worst film of 2014 if you ask me, i'll be staying FAR away from this one for as long as I live. This has to be by far the stupidest and laziest idea Hollywood has ever come up with.


Yeah, it is a stupid and lazy idea. I mean, who would ever think of making a children's toys into a movie? Next thing we kow, there's gonna be movies about robots which can transform into cars, soldiers who are called "Joes" or even a board game about sinking ships. Ridiculous!

I hope all parents here, who'll go to see the film, will post their reviews, because I'm seriously considering to take my three year old twins to their first ever movie. (They're a bit young for that, I know). Either that or going to Legoland in Billund, Denmark. That's just a three hours drive from where I live.

Tranformers was a TV series first and a toyline second, so making a movie based on that made sense, even with Battleship I was like "OK I can see where they're going with this" and that turned out to be pretty fun.

I'm sorry if you can't accept my opinion, but a LEGO movie is just too stupid and lazy of a concept for me to get behind, the movie looks like it's going to be little more then a 90 minute toy commercial.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:03 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 724
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
^ Holy shit, that's funny!


Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Posts: 377
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
I'm thinking about seeing it just because vexer doesn't want to. That means it will probably be nominated for an oscar.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:23 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I'm thinking about seeing it just because vexer doesn't want to. That means it will probably be nominated for an oscar.

Actually....

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:42 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 226
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Pedro wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I'm thinking about seeing it just because vexer doesn't want to. That means it will probably be nominated for an oscar.

Actually....


What the hell.
Put it down for my Oscar 2014, animated feature film win. I'd bet a cyber-beer on it.

_________________
______________________________
Specializing in rodent behavior modification.
-Watch me pull a habit out of rat.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:15 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1522
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Vexer wrote:
This has to be by far the stupidest and laziest idea Hollywood has ever come up with.


I believe I've heard that before applied to the Smurfs by one Vexer.

I'm not rushing to see this by any means. But it can't be as bad as Battleshit.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:09 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3366
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
This has to be by far the stupidest and laziest idea Hollywood has ever come up with.


I believe I've heard that before applied to the Smurfs by one Vexer.

I'm not rushing to see this by any means. But it can't be as bad as Battleshit.

Yeah I thought a Smurfs film was the worst idea Hollywood ever came up with, but oh how very wrong I was, even those films look more appealing compared to this.

I personally don't get the hate for Battleship, but a well.

I highly doubt this film will win any awards.


Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 985
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
I gotta say, a couple of friends and I thought this looked like a horrible idea from the first trailer, but I can't ignore 99% on RT through 72 reviews. That's just the rarest of occurences, not even Oscar-winners garner this. I like to think that since critics see hundreds of movies every year, they generally know what they're talking about.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:08 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Posts: 473
Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
Vexer wrote:
I highly doubt this film will win any awards.

Pixar doesn't have anything this year, Disney's perennial animated flick doesn't look like anything special, and Miyazaki's retiring. (Is Nick Park alive?) Dreamworks has three animated films coming out this year, all of which could be varying degrees of average in light of their spotty track record. The one with the best shot is probably How to Train Your Dragon 2, and sequels don't fare well in the animated category when they're not made by Pixar. (Sometimes being made by Pixar doesn't even help.)

The Lego Movie currently has a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes. The one rotten review it has was written by an asshole. Furthermore, the film has an 8.2/10 average rating. Those are good statistics, and while none of them are indicative of quality or Oscar potential, it's erroneous to doubt that it could win awards at the end of the year.

As of this moment in time, it's the frontrunner to win and it most certainly will be nominated. I'd be hard-pressed to see five other animated films be this warmly received in any year, let alone in one without a Pixar release.

_________________
I no longer have an image here! I got away with it for so long...


Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr