The Skeleton Twins
Snowpiercer
Stand Clear of the Closing Doors
Starred Up
Still Alice

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 pm
Director

Post Re: 2014 Awards Season has begun
wow, Tom Hardy. most surprising award so far. Should be interesting to see how IFC positions Arquette, as a lead or supoorting?

LA Film Critics

Quote:
Picture: “Boyhood”
Runner-up: “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

Director: Richard Linklater, “Boyhood”
Runner-up: Wes Anderson, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

Actor: Tom Hardy, “Locke”
Runner-up: Michael Keaton, “Birdman”

Actress: Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”
Runner-up: Julianne Moore, “Still Alice”

Supporting actor: J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash”
Runner-up: Edward Norton, “Birdman”

Supporting actress: Agata Kulesza, “Ida”
Runner-up: Rene Russo, “Nightcrawler”

Screenplay: Wes Anderson, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”
Runner-up: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Nicolas Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris and Armando Bo, “Birdman”

Foreign-language film: “Ida”
Runner-up: “Winter Sleep”

Documentary/nonfiction film: “Citizenfour”
Runner-up: “Life Itself”

Animation: “The Tale of the Princess Kaguya”
Runner-up: “The Lego Movie”

Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki, “Birdman”
Runner-up: Dick Pope, “Mr. Turner”

Production design: Adam Stockhausen, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”
Runner-up: Ondrej Nekvasil, “Snowpiercer”

Music/score: Jonny Greenwood, “Inherent Vice,” and Mica Levi, “Under the Skin” (tie)

Film editing: Sandra Adair, “Boyhood”
Runner-up: Barney Pilling, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

New Generation: Ava DuVernay, “Selma”

Douglas Edwards Independent/Experimental Film/Video: Walter Reuben, “The David Whiting Story”

Career achievement: Gena Rowlands

Special citation: Leonard Maltin

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
National Board of Review

Quote:
Best Film: A Most Violent Year

Wonderful news! I guess. I'm excited for the movie, at any rate. It's pretty cool how Chandor is seemingly going from telling his story exclusively with visuals in All is Lost to something that appears really talky like this. I never saw Margin Call, does anyone know if that's more visual or dialogue-driven? My guess is the latter given the material, but I don't really know.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:14 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I never saw Margin Call, does anyone know if that's more visual or dialogue-driven? My guess is the latter given the material, but I don't really know.

It's certainly dialogue-driven as you correctly suspected, and while it's far from visually flashy, it's not dull -- it does what it needs to. I'll admit that there's aspects of the movie that kinda directly appeal to my tastes, but I loved it. I've legitimately watched it at least 10 times, often while working or cleaning or something like that. It's become a bit of cinematic comfort food. It's intriguing, and like, say, Whiplash, it doesn't matter if we understand what they're talking about as long as we believe they understand what they're talking about. Seriously dug that movie.

All of which to say that A Most Violent Year was already my #2 most anticipated since the year started, and this only makes me more pumped.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:51 pm
Cinematographer

Shade2 wrote:
It's intriguing, and like, say, Whiplash, it doesn't matter if we understand what they're talking about as long as we believe they understand what they're talking about. Seriously dug that movie.

Cool. And I really dig this point. It sums up Whiplash, a movie everyone in the world seems to really like (myself included), perfectly.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:01 pm
Director

AFI's top 10(well 11, there was a tie)

Quote:
American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Into the Woods
Nightcrawler
Selma
Unbroken
Whiplash

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm
Director

SAG noms came out today. Golden Globes tomorrow.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:05 pm
Cinematographer

The Golden Globe nominations have made me aware of a film called Tangerines and a state called Abkhazia. If it ever gets a theatrical run in the Bay Area, it would be my first Estonian film.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm
Director

dang, American Sniper got totally shut out.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:25 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
dang, American Sniper got totally shut out.

I have no idea what to think about this awards season. American Sniper looked like it was going to play pretty well at one point, and now it doesn't seem like it will anymore. A Most Violent Year had traction briefly and now it doesn't really. What the fuck is going on with Selma? No one loves Inherent Vice. I guess Boyhood is winning Best Picture, but I don't know.

I'm quietly predicting Foxcatcher snubs at the Oscars.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:33 pm
Assistant Director

Man, I haven't seen shit this year. I was looking forward to Birdman and then I didn't see it. Same with Boyhood. And Snowpiercer, Nightcrawler, Whiplash and more. I'll see Inherent Vice even with steep reservations.

Home video will be my ticket to timeliness. Something close to it.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:26 pm
Second Unit Director

The most interesting snub for me is Interstellar. They are completely shut out in every award show that has come out so far. Only the headpounding score by Hans Zimmer was nominated. I wonder if the same trend will continue at the Oscars with only nominations on the technical side unlike 2001 that got some creative nominations which says the Awards show people don't like fantasy science fiction along with impenetrable physics technobabble. Strange to see Annie doing better than American Sniper,Unbroken and Interstellar but with 10 Best Picture slots some of those could sneak in for the have no chance but have to fill out the roster Oscar nominations.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:28 pm
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
I'll see Inherent Vice even with steep reservations.

Home video will be my ticket to timeliness. Something close to it.

Any particular reason for those steep reservations?

Also: Nightcrawler and Boyhood. Both pretty wonderful, especially the Linklater movie. Nightcrawler revels in cynicism a bit too much, but it's really good.

oakenshield32 wrote:
The most interesting snub for me is Interstellar. They are completely shut out in every award show that has come out so far. Only the headpounding score by Hans Zimmer was nominated. I wonder if the same trend will continue at the Oscars with only nominations on the technical side unlike 2001 that got some creative nominations which says the Awards show people don't like fantasy science fiction along with impenetrable physics technobabble. Strange to see Annie doing better than American Sniper,Unbroken and Interstellar but with 10 Best Picture slots some of those could sneak in for the have no chance but have to fill out the roster Oscar nominations.

I think it's safe to say it probably shouldn't get any acting nominations unless we're now considering blubbering as evidence of great emoting, amirite?

Really though, I think it's probably out of contention this year unless The Academy suddenly decides they actually enjoy Christopher Nolan. The reviews were mostly good, but far from overwhelmingly positive, and the whole event movie potential didn't really pan out. Like most blockbusters this year, it kind of came and went without a whole lot of fanfare.

Plus, you know, it wasn't any good, so there's that too.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:33 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
t's safe to say it probably shouldn't get any acting nominations unless we're now considering blubbering as evidence of great emoting, amirite?
Really though, I think it's probably out of contention this year unless The Academy suddenly decides they actually enjoy Christopher Nolan. The reviews were mostly good, but far from overwhelmingly positive, and the whole event movie potential didn't really pan out. Like most blockbusters this year, it kind of came and went without a whole lot of fanfare.
Plus, you know, it wasn't any good, so there's that too.

Ouch. But yes, unfortunately you are mostly right. Mostly. Although it was imo kinda good. Kinda.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:56 pm
Director

Quote:
unless The Academy suddenly decides they actually enjoy Christopher Nolan

Inception did get a Best Picture nomination.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:32 pm
Director

With 8-10 nominations, Interstellar will likely get a nod at least. What's the current prediction as to the winner though? I have a feeling they may give it to Imitation Game.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:46 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
With 8-10 nominations, Interstellar will likely get a nod at least. What's the current prediction as to the winner though? I have a feeling they may give it to Imitation Game.

I'm predicting Boyhood - seems to have some momentum. Also the favourite among people who are putting their money on it: http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/oscars/best-picture

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:53 pm
Assistant Director

@ Inherent Vice

I didn't like the novel at all, found it a sloppy blend of PI nostalgia/riffing and psychedelic parody of the kind of work Pynchon made his name on. He's an author trying to keep up with himself and hasn't done anything I've liked for a pretty long time. Though people tell me that Against The Day is worth the time I didn't want a retread of my experience (in college, via syllabus) with Mason & Dixon. So maybe I'm really just a fan of his earlier stuff, not of the author.

That said, I can't say I'm not interested or even that I'm not looking forward to it given the guy at the helm. Doesn't open for a while over in these parts, looks like.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 am
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:
Quote:
unless The Academy suddenly decides they actually enjoy Christopher Nolan

Inception did get a Best Picture nomination.

And a screenplay nomination (as did Memento). But zero director nominations and, from what I can remember, he's never been considered a legitimate threat to win in any of the categories where he did receive nominations. Maybe Interstellar's "it's pretty good" general consensus is what finally brings him a ton of Academy love, but I have a tough time seeing that.

I'll defer to Pedro here since he's the expert, but don't blockbusters like Interstellar usually require some combination of huge box office success and cultural impact to get a nomination? Since they went to 10 nominees (or up to 10 nominees) in 2009, the only blockbusters that received nominations were Avatar, Up, Toy Story 3, and Inception (and maybe Hugo, although that's a blockbuster in budget only). Interstellar isn't really in the same ball park as those 4, no? I guess it could get a nomination based on the whole "we want to recognize more popular movies" angle, but I'd prefer that go to something like The LEGO Movie which was genuinely excellent, made a bunch of money, and had a large cultural impact.

Mark III wrote:
@ Inherent Vice

I didn't like the novel at all, found it a sloppy blend of PI nostalgia/riffing and psychedelic parody of the kind of work Pynchon made his name on. He's an author trying to keep up with himself and hasn't done anything I've liked for a pretty long time. Though people tell me that Against The Day is worth the time I didn't want a retread of my experience (in college, via syllabus) with Mason & Dixon. So maybe I'm really just a fan of his earlier stuff, not of the author.

That said, I can't say I'm not interested or even that I'm not looking forward to it given the guy at the helm. Doesn't open for a while over in these parts, looks like.

Interesting. I suspected something along those lines. I read 3/4 of the book earlier this year and never finished it for reasons unknown to me. I didn't love it or anything, but was entertained and assumed it was all building towards something that would make sense of everything. It either does or doesn't, I don't know which. Apparently PTA changed the ending. I don't really know what the means to have an opinion on whether or not it's a good thing.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:12 am