Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:30 am

Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
So over in unwindfilm's thread about the greatest English-speaking male actor of all time, Awf Hand brought up the idea of turning the whole thing into a bracket. If there's interest, I think it's an excellent idea.

My thoughts were that each of us could submit 10 names for seeding purposes and then we could work our way through the bracket over the next few weeks or so.

So if you're interested, send me a PM with 10 names. I look forward to seeing who we pick.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Post Re: Best English-Speaking Male Actor of All Time Bracket
Steven wrote:
So over in unwindfilm's thread about the greatest English-speaking male actor of all time, Awf Hand brought up the idea of turning the whole thing into a bracket. If there's interest, I think it's an excellent idea.

My thoughts were that each of us could submit 10 names for seeding purposes and then we could work our way through the bracket over the next few weeks or so.

So if you're interested, send me a PM with 10 names. I look forward to seeing who we pick.

Hi Steven,

This sounds an interesting idea now 10 names is not going to make the bracket competition to work so you either do it with 8 or 16 as in my thread were named a quite a few then I'd suggest to make it with 16 and should also ask to the people who PM you for preferences for their seeding too. For instances, here would be mine

1) Marlon Brando
    2) Laurence Olivier
    3) Daniel Day-Lewis
    4) Robert Deniro
    5) Jack Nicholson
    6) Russell Crowe
    7) Gene Hackman
    8) Alec Guinness
    9) Al Pacino
    10) Humphrey Bogart
    11) James Stewart
    12) Denzel Washington
    13) Clark Gable
    14) Anthony Hopkins
    15) Sean Penn
    16) Spencer Tracy

For the seeding then you assign 16 point to the top position and 1 to the last and add all the nominees list and select the top 16 positions to start the bracket competition with 8 matches

You can use a free online bracket application such as http://public.bracketeers.com/booth.php
To automate some tasks such as the count of the votes for you. Happy to help :)

Cheers

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:45 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I really want to screw up this contest by rallying people to nominate Keanu Reeves, Kristen Stewart, William Shatner...

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:20 am
Director

I've always felt that Keanu Reeves is underrated as an actor. I would never argue that he's one of the greatest actors of all time, but he's done some really solid work in movies like Speed. Plus, one movie I always thought he was very good in was The Lake House. There's a scene in that movie where after his dad dies, he breaks down in tears a bit and I thought that was an incredibly moving scene. He can be stiff in some movies, but I like him.

And Kristen Stewart is a good talent outside of the Twilight movies. She's somebody else I will always defend. Watch Welcome to the Rileys where she plays opposite James Gandolfini and Melissa Leo as an example of how good she can be. Adventureland, In the Land of Women, Into the Wild, Panic Room, etc. People shouldn't judge her solely on the Twilight franchise.

And Shatner? Come on he's Captain Kirk for crying out loud. I only partially kid. He's obviously a notoriously hammy actor, no denying that. But have you guys seen his TV show Boston Legal? He's actually done some outstanding and, yes, even nuanced work, on that show. I mean, yeah, the show can be, and often is, silly and over the top. But Shatner has actually had some stellar dramatic moments on that show. There's a reason why he won a couple of Emmy's for that show.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:36 am
Producer

I'm not saying any of them are outright bad actors, but they have reputations as bad actors. As with most reputations, it ain't for nothin'.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:11 am
Director

Ken wrote:
I'm not saying any of them are outright bad actors, but they have reputations as bad actors. As with most reputations, it ain't for nothin'.

Maybe for Keanu and the Shat. Even I can't deny that I don't understand why and how they got their reputations. But for Stewart it really does seem to be only because of Twilight and, IMO, that ain't fair.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:15 am

unwindfilms wrote:
This sounds an interesting idea now 10 names is not going to make the bracket competition to work so you either do it with 8 or 16 as in my thread were named a quite a few then I'd suggest to make it with 16 and should also ask to the people who PM you for preferences for their seeding too.

I was planning on having a 16-person bracket. I planned on having everybody sending me 10 names and including the 16 most mentioned names in the bracket. The most mentioned person would be the one seed, the second most mentioned would be the two seed, and so on.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Steven wrote:
I was planning on having a 16-person bracket. I planned on having everybody sending me 10 names and including the 16 most mentioned names in the bracket. The most mentioned person would be the one seed, the second most mentioned would be the two seed, and so on.

This is an awesome idea. I've already sent mine in. The only problem you might run into is how to break ties, but I'm sure you got this.

I highly recommend as many posters as possible participate in this. This can and should be an annual Reelviews tradition, standing proudly alongside the Pedros.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:47 am
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:
Ken wrote:

Maybe for Keanu and the Shat. Even I can't deny that I don't understand why and how they got their reputations. But for Stewart it really does seem to be only because of Twilight and, IMO, that ain't fair.

I've never heard Stewart really get a bad rep as an actress, she hated the Twilight films and for good reason(Bella is one of the worst female characters of all time) but she was excellent in The Runaways and On The Road(shame JB didn't see the entire film, he missed out).

I also don't really get the hate for Reeves, he was pretty damn good in Street Kings.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:41 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm in.

List is on the way.

(added) Huge thanks for getting this off the ground!!

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pm
Second Unit Director

List has been sent.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:59 pm
Cinematographer

I just PMed you mine. I still suggest to give order and thus weight as for instance, my four first choices are locked but after that If I make the list tomorrow again might change the last 6 spots HaHa.

Hope participation is high

Cheers

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

If I could have everybody's list by the end of Thursday that would be wonderful.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Almost forgot to send mine in, so bump in case anyone hasn't yet. This should be interesting.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 am

Just a reminder that I'd like any and all bracket submissions by the end of the day. I'd love to have a few more.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 am
Profile WWW

Here it is gentlemen. Round 1. Send me your ballots by the end of next Thursday.

(1) Marlon Brando vs (16) Jack Lemmon
(8) Laurence Olivier vs (9) Paul Newman
(4) Al Pacino vs (13) Michael Caine
(5) James Stewart vs (12) Peter O'Toole
(6) Daniel Day-Lewis vs (11) Anthony Hopkins
(3) Jack Nicholson vs (14) Denzel Washington
(7) Tom Hanks vs (10) Gene Hackman
(2) Robert De Niro vs (15) Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Director

As expected, almost all are modern actors. Stewart & Olivier the only pre 1950s actors. Nice to see Lemmon make the cut. It would seem fairer to pair actors from different eras against each other so it wouldn't skew towards just the modern actors making the later rounds. But I understand(I remember some posters here have said they don't like to watch anything pre 1970)

some notable absences:

Richard Burton
James Dean
Alec Guinness
Montgomery Clift
James Cagney
Spencer Tracy
Kirk Douglas
Burt Lancaster
Orson Welles
George C. Scott
Dustin Hoffman
James Mason
Frederic March
Robert Mitchum

Last edited by calvero on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:23 pm
Cinematographer

Just PMed you my ballot for Rd 1

Cheers

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

calvero wrote:
As expected, almost all are modern actors. Stewart & Olivier the only pre 1950s actors. Nice to see Lemmon make the cut. It would seem fairer to pair actors from different eras against each other so it wouldn't skew towards just the modern actors making the later rounds. But I understand(I remember some posters here have said they don't like to watch anything pre 1970)

some notable absences:

Richard Burton
James Dean
Alec Guinness
Montgomery Clift
James Cagney
Spencer Tracy
Kirk Douglas
Burt Lancaster
Orson Welles
George C. Scott
Dustin Hoffman

Good point. I hadn't thought about this until now, but what's really needed is a 32-actor field, maybe even the full 64. And we can separate the brackets by Era. Maybe next time we can do that with actresses.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 pm
Director

Rod Steiger is another notable absence.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:03 pm