Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:04 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time 
Author Message
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 203
Post So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
Yes, the infamous Bill Cosby film that Cosby himself hates. Why did I watch this you ask? Well, out of morbid curiosity, because of Siskel and Ebert’s funny review, its bad reputation, and also because I've heard something on how Cosby wanted to make sure it's never shown on TV so that makes it all the more rare. Cosby's plan didn't work in this case because I caught it on one of the Encore movie channels.

So what did I think of this film which got Razzie awards and sits on the Bottom 100 on IMDB? Well, it's one weird-ass film that's for sure. It's definitely a one-star type of film and truly bizarre. But at least you can get some enjoyment out of watching how weird and bad it is.

Let's see if I can break down some of the weirdness/badness of the film in a random stream of consciousness while it's still fresh in my head:

-Cosby plays a rich restaurant-running former secret agent with a narrating British butler who comes out of retirement by the government to stop a fruit-eating The Oracle from The Matrix who is using some sphere device to mind control animals to kill people

-Cosby fights a henchman in a restaurant kitchen with a bunch of cooks around and none of the cooks even pay attention to what goes on with Cosby deflecting bullets from the henchmen's gun with pots and pans

-There's a lot of Coca-Cola product placement in the film. I'm guessing this is done since Cosby shilled for Coca-Cola in the 80's if I'm not mistaken.

-An early scene in the film has a rainbow trout kill a guy in a pool like a piranha. There's a shot of this fish looking at a Playboy magazine that is underwater before it kills the guy.

-A group of frogs under mind control somehow get underneath a CIA spy's car and pushes it into the water drowning the spy

-Half of the film is about the animal mind control plot and the other about Cosby's 20-year old aspiring-actress daughter dating her 65-year old director and also about Cosby trying to reunite with his estranged wife after she got pissed at him for something involving a 19 year old girl.

-It feels like 30 minutes of this 90 film was spent in a montage of Cosby getting ready for a date with his estranged wife. The movie has a very thin story for 90 minutes.

-The special effects are pretty lousy for this film. I think one of the guys who worked on this worked on the Star Wars films (Richard Edlund). Even cinematographer/director Jan De Bont worked on this film. Oh well. We all have to start somewhere. Funny how Jan De Bont goes from a bad film to a great film (Die Hard) in a span of a year.

-Cosby sees a psychic medium that speaks in gibberish or some weird language and slaps his face repeatedly

-Cosby uses the mind control sphere to have bunnies attack people in the government who sent him on his mission and want to use the sphere for their own bad purposes.

-Cosby and his wife escape from being killed by killer lobsters with sticks of butter by bribing the lobsters with the butter to cut their shackles.

-Cosby infiltrate's The Oracle's warehouse and attacks a group of guys dressed as birds with Freddy Kruger claws by using ballerina slippers and doing ballerina type of dancing.

-Cosby uses hair clippers to subdue a guy dressed as a bird.

-Cosby attacks a group of musclebound minions wearing wife-beater shirts by throwing beef patties at them which burns them for some reason.

-Cosby kills The Oracle's right-hand man by giving him a hot dog wiener to eat which makes his head blow up.

-Cosby puts dishwashing liquid in the mind control sphere to help destroy it

-Cosby uses Alka Seltzer in colored factory water to help destroy the warehouse where The Oracle resides. Yep, another product plug.

-Cosby escapes The Oracle's warehouse at one point in the film by flying off the roof on the back of an ostrich.

So yeah, it’s a really bizarre film. Cosby deserves a lot of blame since he, somehow, concocted the story to this film. I know there are bad movies like Ishtar, Battlefield Earth, Howard the Duck, Batman & Robin, etc., but they don’t feel as wildly inept as this one. This movie would at least make for something fun for Rifftrax or MST3K. If you’re a fan of bad movies that are incredibly inept, you’ll have fun watching this one.


Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:06 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
It certainly is a very weird film, but I can't say I totally hated it, I find it infinitely more watchable then truly wretched comedies like Year One.

The product placement was actually because Coca-Cola themselves used to own the distributor Colombia Tristar(before they were bought by Sony) which is why you see blatant product placement in all of Tristar's 80s output. There's also some blatant product placement for Lava Soap.

I personally don't think films like Batman and Robin, Ishtar, Howard the Duck and Battlefield Earth are outright bad(well OK maybe BE kind of is, but I feel it still has some genuinely good elements to it), I found them all enjoyable in some way.


Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:02 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 203
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
Vexer wrote:
It certainly is a very weird film, but I can't say I totally hated it, I find it infinitely more watchable then truly wretched comedies like Year One.

The product placement was actually because Coca-Cola themselves used to own the distributor Colombia Tristar(before they were bought by Sony) which is why you see blatant product placement in all of Tristar's 80s output. There's also some blatant product placement for Lava Soap.

I personally don't think films like Batman and Robin, Ishtar, Howard the Duck and Battlefield Earth are outright bad(well OK maybe BE kind of is, but I feel it still has some genuinely good elements to it), I found them all enjoyable in some way.


Now how is Year One more wretched than Leonard Part 6?

If you watch the Siskel & Ebert review for Leonard Part 6, you can see Ebert really take it to Cosby about the Coca-Cola product placement.

Well those films are enjoyable in a "So bad it's good" type of way. They are still inept and poorly-made though.


Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:18 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
ck100 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
It certainly is a very weird film, but I can't say I totally hated it, I find it infinitely more watchable then truly wretched comedies like Year One.

The product placement was actually because Coca-Cola themselves used to own the distributor Colombia Tristar(before they were bought by Sony) which is why you see blatant product placement in all of Tristar's 80s output. There's also some blatant product placement for Lava Soap.

I personally don't think films like Batman and Robin, Ishtar, Howard the Duck and Battlefield Earth are outright bad(well OK maybe BE kind of is, but I feel it still has some genuinely good elements to it), I found them all enjoyable in some way.


Now how is Year One more wretched than Leonard Part 6?

If you watch the Siskel & Ebert review for Leonard Part 6, you can see Ebert really take it to Cosby about the Coca-Cola product placement.

Well those films are enjoyable in a "So bad it's good" type of way. They are still inept and poorly-made though.


It was more wretched because I didn't laugh once in the entire film, and at least Leonard was fascinating to watch, while Year One was just tedious and painful to get through, you wouldn't think Ramis was capable of making such a terrible film, but you'd be very wrong.

I don't think those films were all ineptly or poorly made(Batman and Robin if nothing else had some pretty cool set design).


Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:11 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 971
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
Vexer wrote:
I don't think those films were all ineptly or poorly made(Batman and Robin if nothing else had some pretty cool set design).

... even if the icicles wobbled on occasion!


Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:25 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Posts: 208
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
It certainly is a very weird film, but I can't say I totally hated it, I find it infinitely more watchable then truly wretched comedies like Year One.

The product placement was actually because Coca-Cola themselves used to own the distributor Colombia Tristar(before they were bought by Sony) which is why you see blatant product placement in all of Tristar's 80s output. There's also some blatant product placement for Lava Soap.

I personally don't think films like Batman and Robin, Ishtar, Howard the Duck and Battlefield Earth are outright bad(well OK maybe BE kind of is, but I feel it still has some genuinely good elements to it), I found them all enjoyable in some way.


Now how is Year One more wretched than Leonard Part 6?

If you watch the Siskel & Ebert review for Leonard Part 6, you can see Ebert really take it to Cosby about the Coca-Cola product placement.

Well those films are enjoyable in a "So bad it's good" type of way. They are still inept and poorly-made though.


It was more wretched because I didn't laugh once in the entire film, and at least Leonard was fascinating to watch, while Year One was just tedious and painful to get through, you wouldn't think Ramis was capable of making such a terrible film, but you'd be very wrong.

I don't think those films were all ineptly or poorly made(Batman and Robin if nothing else had some pretty cool set design).


Vexer, I can understand why you would consider Year One to be wretched, at least based on what I saw from the trailer, which certainly didn't look the least bit funny or appealing. However, I would have to vehemently disagree with you on your assessment of Batman and Robin and Howard the Duck -- those were a combined 4 hours of my life that I can never take back (haven't seen either Ishtar nor Battlefield Earth, so no comments on them).

On to the original topic, I've never had the chance to see Leonard Part 6 (although I recall years ago how it was widely ridiculed). However, I had the experience of watching another Bill Cosby starring vehicle, Ghost Dad. Now THAT film was truly dreadful! (ugh)


Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:18 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
I can actually understand liking Howard the Duck or Batman and Robin in a campy, fun kind of way. I think I would say the same for Battlefield Earth. Don't get me wrong; they are shit movies and deserve to be regarded as such, but they are great for getting a group of friends and riffing on them MST3K style.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:43 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I can actually understand liking Howard the Duck or Batman and Robin in a campy, fun kind of way. I think I would say the same for Battlefield Earth. Don't get me wrong; they are shit movies and deserve to be regarded as such, but they are great for getting a group of friends and riffing on them MST3K style.

I personally would riff on something really bad like say the Left Behind film series(can't believe there's another Left Behind film doing to theaters), you'd be hard pressed to find a movie franchise as terrible as that series.


Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2493
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
Quote:
while Year One was just tedious and painful to get through


I haven't seen Leonard part anything, but I agree with this.

Quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.

A horrible, ultra low-brow concept. School-play level set designs, a script so ball achingly bad it could induce tears , and all the actors shamelessly debasing themselves.

-10 out of 10

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:15 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3657
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
NotHughGrant wrote:
Quote:
while Year One was just tedious and painful to get through


I haven't seen Leonard part anything, but I agree with this.

Quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.

A horrible, ultra low-brow concept. School-play level set designs, a script so ball achingly bad it could induce tears , and all the actors shamelessly debasing themselves.

-10 out of 10

Yes to all of that, it's made even worse by the fact that it was the last film directed by Harold Ramis(definitely not a good note to end your career on), you'd think of all people he would know how to make a halfway decent comedy, I didn't expect to hate the movie as much as I did, the nicest thing I can say about it is that i'll sit through it over something like say Southland Tales, but that's not saying much.


Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:46 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2493
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
I once read that Year One was some 26(?) years in development limbo.

Incredible, because the film is so bad it comfortably crosses into the Mac and Me/Howard the Duck domain of antonishingly bad movies.

Like you say, it makes me feel bad for Ramis. Perhaps it was all a big in-joke, but that hardly makes it noble with how much theatre tickets cost

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1298
Post Re: So last night I watched "Leonard Part 6" for the first time
Maybe they should've made Leonard, Parts 1-5 first. *rimshot* Alas, those are prequels we'll now never get. :P


Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr