Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:28 pm

The Sixth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Cinematographer

Post The Sixth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
Hello there, ReelViews board members. My name's Pedro, and I'm here to announce the sixth annual ReelViews Academy Awards, or Pedros as we call them now!

You'll have to pardon me: as usual, much of this post is going to be a regurgitation of last year's thread, with some slight changes.

Anyway, giving credit where credit is due, p604 came up with the idea. His thought process was, "Everyone complains about the Oscars. Why don't we have our own?" It's brilliant. Here's how it works:

1. Anyone (that's you!) can vote for nominees, so long as you're signed up on the board. Make sure your votes are for who YOU want to win. If you think Let's Be Cops is the best film of the year, then damn it vote that way!
2. People who do choose to vote can suggest up to five nominees per category, ranked 1-5 with 1 being the theoretical winner. This applies to all categories INCLUDING Best Picture. If the films are not ranked, I will automatically put them in the order in which they are listed.
3. You don't need to vote for every category.
4. There are twenty categories: seventeen that the Academy uses, the Best Ensemble award that SAG uses, a modified Best Original Score, and the new Best Sound category influenced by the BAFTAs. They are listed at the end of the post, accompanied by a sample ballot.
5. Many documentaries and foreign language films were excluded from the Academy shortlist of said categories. Same goes for make-up, score, and visual effects. IGNORE THIS. If the film came out domestically between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014, it's valid for any category. FOR EXAMPLE: Gloria (Chile) came out in January 2014, so it's valid despite being released in 2013 in its home country. However, Wild Tales (Argentina) is not valid because it comes out next month. Checking IMDb is a good way determining validity.
6. Also include in your ballot up to THREE NEW POTENTIALS for the ReelViews Hall of Fame. FOR EXAMPLE: Toshiro Mifune, Fritz Lang, Edith Head.
7. PM your votes to me, Pedro, to keep the nomination process secretive and exciting and shit.

The voting cut-off is March 2nd at 10:00 AM, though I'd like them sooner. Yeah, I extended the voting deadline. I always do.

Happy voting.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Animated Feature
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography (it is requested that you be more discerning about your choices for this category, i.e. vote for films that actually use cinematography)
Best Costume Design
Best Director
Best Documentary Feature
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Film Editing
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Makeup
Best Picture
Best Sound
Best Use of Music
Best Visual Effects
Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay
Best Writing - Original Screenplay

RETURNING HALL OF FAME POTENTIALS
Philip Seymour Hoffman (2nd year) - 69.2%
Robert De Niro (3rd year) - 61.5%
Charlie Chaplin (3rd year) - 46.2%
Hayao Miyazaki (3rd year) - 46.2%
Joel and Ethan Coen (3rd year) - 46.2%
Meryl Streep (3rd year) - 46.2%
Roger Deakins (3rd year) - 46.2%
Walt Disney (2nd year) - 46.2%
Bill Murray (3rd year) - 38.5%
Ingmar Bergman (3rd year) - 38.5%
Jimmy Stewart (3rd year) - 38.5%
Orson Welles (3rd year) - 38.5%
Werner Herzog (3rd year) - 38.5%
Christopher Walken (3rd year) - 23.1%
Gene Hackman (3rd year) - 23.1%
Nicolas Cage (3rd year) - 23.1%
Helen Mirren (2nd year) - 15.4%
Max von Sydow (3rd year) - 15.4%
Paul Schrader (2nd year) - 15.4%
Woody Allen (3rd year) - 15.4%
Sally Menke (3rd year) - 7.7%

INELIGIBLE FOR 2015
Humphrey Bogart

SAMPLE BALLOT: BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
1. Masaharu Fukuyama - Like Father, Like Son
2. Ryan Potter - Big Hero 6
3. David Oyelowo - Selma
4. Michael Keaton - Birdman

And finally, here's a semi-comprehensive list of foreign films that came out domestically in 2014:

Gloria
Force Majeure
Leviathan
Stranger by the Lake
Ida
Like Father, Like Son
Goodbye to Language
We Are the Best!
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Winter Sleep
Closed Curtain
Stray Dogs
The Tale of Princess Kayuga
Ernest and Celestine
Why Don't You Play in Hell?
The Raid 2: Berandal
Omar
Child's Pose
Wetlands
The Dance of Reality
Jealousy
Zero Motivation
Dead Snow: Red vs. Dead
In Bloom
Bad Hair
Big Bad Wolves
Long Live Freedom

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:25 pm
Director

Post Re: The Sixth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
I think The Wind Rises counts as this year, yes?

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:39 pm
Director

I have a question regarding FOXCATCHER. In my mind, Channing Tatum is a Lead and Steve Carrell is Supporting. The former has a lot of screen time before the latter even makes his first appearance. Is this how it will work for these awards or are they co-leads?

Dustin Putman would agree with me on this.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 pm
Director

KWRoss wrote:
I have a question regarding FOXCATCHER. In my mind, Channing Tatum is a Lead and Steve Carrell is Supporting. The former has a lot of screen time before the latter even makes his first appearance. Is this how it will work for these awards or are they co-leads?

I really feel that way while watching too.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:29 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

I really feel that way while watching too.

Well it's very much Carrell's story, and we do get a lot of him away from Tatum. I think Tatum and Carrell are both leads, and Ruffalo is supporting. I think it fits the mold of Anthony Hopkins being a lead (he was in Silence of the Lambs for like 15 minutes) because of how much the story revolves around him. I don't have an issue either way, but it should get decided so voting doesn't get all jacked-up.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:16 pm
Director

I never really feel comfortable voting on these, since I just haven't seen nearly all the top contenders (and won't have done until the roughly middle of this year), despite seeing 63 2014 films in 2014. Here in NZ many "high profile" stuff won't likely be available for a few more months yet. I doubt there is much value in voting for Autómata as best film (and best director too for Gabe Ibáñez), since I think I'm the only one here that's seen it.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:42 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
I never really feel comfortable voting on these, since I just haven't seen nearly all the top contenders (and won't have done until the roughly middle of this year), despite seeing 63 2014 films in 2014. Here in NZ many "high profile" stuff won't likely be available for a few more months yet. I doubt there is much value in voting for Autómata as best film (and best director too for Gabe Ibáñez), since I think I'm the only one here that's seen it.

You are more than welcome to pimp that film to the forum, a la what Mark did with Oculus. I'll be a little surprised if Oculus doesn't get nominated for something.

I personally think Carrell and Tatum are both leads for Foxcatcher. In the name of making things easy, let's all vote this way.

Regarding The Wind Rises, it got a week-long release in 2013 to qualify for the Academy Awards. I've decided that shouldn't count because it didn't stay in theaters. This is different from things like Selma and American Sniper, films that most of aren't seeing until this month, because they've consistently been in theaters (albeit only a few). This sucks for things like Winter Sleep from Turkey, but most of us should be able to get to most things by late February, no?

So yes, The Wind Rises is eligible. Some people voted for it last year (to no avail), but let's give it a proper evaluation this time.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:58 pm
Second Unit Director

Great! The Pedros are back!

I hope you'll excuse me for leaving my nominations late, because I hope to catch at least some of the many prestigious movies from 2014, which I haven't seen yet.

Some questions concerning the eligibility of films:

IMDB lists Enemy by Denis Villeneuve ('Prisoners') as a 2013 release. The movie doesn't seem to have had a wide theatrical release in the US, but was shown on festivals in 2014. Does it qualify?

The Babadook is a 2014 release in Australia, but hasn't been shown in the USA outside of festivals as well. Is it eligible?

Under the Skin is a 2013 movie, according to IMDB, and it has been shown on festivals already in 2013. It had a limited release in the USA in 2014, though. Can i nominate it?

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:22 am
Director

Cantinflas also came out in 2014. It's Mexico's candidate for the Academy Awards although it's partly in English.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 pm
Cinematographer

Unke wrote:
Great! The Pedros are back!

I hope you'll excuse me for leaving my nominations late, because I hope to catch at least some of the many prestigious movies from 2014, which I haven't seen yet.

Some questions concerning the eligibility of films:

IMDB lists Enemy by Denis Villeneuve ('Prisoners') as a 2013 release. The movie doesn't seem to have had a wide theatrical release in the US, but was shown on festivals in 2014. Does it qualify?

The Babadook is a 2014 release in Australia, but hasn't been shown in the USA outside of festivals as well. Is it eligible?

Under the Skin is a 2013 movie, according to IMDB, and it has been shown on festivals already in 2013. It had a limited release in the USA in 2014, though. Can i nominate it?

All I care about is when films were released in the United States. These three, plus Catinflas, had theatrical runs in the United States in 2014. (On a side note, people should vote for Enemy because it's neat.)

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Dammit! One of the 2014 movies I'm the most interested in seeing that I missed in theaters isn't out on DVD until after nomination balloting ends. Oh well... I still enjoy these awards things.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
And finally, here's a semi-comprehensive list of foreign films that came out domestically in 2013:

I think you meant 2014 there?

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:51 am
Cinematographer

Darth Ed wrote:
Pedro wrote:
And finally, here's a semi-comprehensive list of foreign films that came out domestically in 2013:

I think you meant 2014 there?

Thank you.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:29 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Regarding The Wind Rises, it got a week-long release in 2013 to qualify for the Academy Awards. I've decided that shouldn't count because it didn't stay in theaters. This is different from things like Selma and American Sniper, films that most of aren't seeing until this month, because they've consistently been in theaters (albeit only a few). This sucks for things like Winter Sleep from Turkey, but most of us should be able to get to most things by late February, no?

So yes, The Wind Rises is eligible. Some people voted for it last year (to no avail), but let's give it a proper evaluation this time.

If we go by this rule, Julianne Moore isn't eligible until next year.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:31 pm
Gaffer

Damnit! Because Julianne Moore, Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart were all on my list for that movie.

And I am definitely going to forget about this movie next year.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Cinematographer

Who's the lead in Fury? Do we have two or one, and who is it?

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:44 pm
Director

Let's see...how many awards can I nominate Hercules for.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:02 pm
Director

I don't remember.. last year we had a separate thread from this to promote our choices to others right?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:49 pm
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:

I watched this on your recommendation. Def a good movie and its the kind of Tom Cruise vehicle that I love as of late, but I gotta tell you, Antonio Banderas has got the WORST damn accent which makes understanding WTF he is saying a nightmare.

Additionally, IMDB doesn't list the actors who played the robot voices, and I am pretty sure Bandares was the voice of one of them. I kind of assume Melanie Griffith was also the voice of Cleo, but nothing is mentioned anywhere about that.

Best movie of the year? No, not in my book, though I could say it is better than one or two that were nominated...

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:16 am
Director

mrguinness wrote:
nitrium wrote:

I watched this on your recommendation. Def a good movie and its the kind of Tom Cruise vehicle that I love as of late, but I gotta tell you, Antonio Banderas has got the WORST damn accent which makes understanding WTF he is saying a nightmare.
Additionally, IMDB doesn't list the actors who played the robot voices, and I am pretty sure Bandares was the voice of one of them. I kind of assume Melanie Griffith was also the voice of Cleo, but nothing is mentioned anywhere about that.
Best movie of the year? No, not in my book, though I could say it is better than one or two that were nominated...

No, it's imo a truly great movie. http://www.reelviews.net/reelviewsforum ... 89#p159689
It's superbly made (especially considering the budget) and although Bandares is not exactly a great actor, I had zero problems understanding him at any point. It's just exactly the sort of film I love, and is definitely my pick for movie of the year for 2014 (similarly, Europa Report was my favourite from 2013... KWRoss obviously can't spot a great film when he sees one in his Kompetition ;-) ). The best scene in Bladerunner is imo NOT Deckard fighting Roy or the other replicants; it's when Deckard interviews Rachael (although the final dialogue between Deckard and Roy is also great). Nothing beats a well executed sci-fi drama for me.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:34 am