Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 751  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Major...drop your pants because I am ready to fellate you.
Whenever Major shows up, the level of homoeroticism jumps by several orders of magnitude.

I can't decide whether this observation is true and depressing or true and spectacularly awesome.

Did anyone here see the movie Cruising? It isn't a very good movie but it does feature a scene wherein Al "Pink Flag" Pacino roughly fucks his wife after spending a throbbingly homoerotic day in the NY gay underworld. The only thing missing from the scene is Patchy (that's what I'm gonna call Al Pacino from now on) saying "Who's gay? Not Patchy! Who's gay? Not Patchy!" as he delivers a steaming hot beef injection into his wife's heterosexually-formative bergina.

Anyhow, and needless to mention, is that I frequently do the same to my wife's poor Heteroprover 3000 after I post on this forum. "Chase me all you like, thoughts of Trevor's hungry he-pussy, you can't beat off my overriding wish to be a straight male!"

I find it odd that I haven't been banned.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:17 pm
Love and Other Drugs

Jake and Anne spend a lot of naked time here in a grown up relationship drama that while good, could've been much stronger. James praised this film for an honest look at adult relationships and while I partly agree, I would've liked to have seem more from these characters other than their lives dealing with sex and Parkinson's. The chemistry is very good and the film has its strengths but I was left wanting a little more. 6.5/10

Waking Sleeping Beauty
A look at the re-emergence of the Disney powerhouse beginning with The Little Mermaid and all the drama behind the scenes along the way. A very solid doc that all fans of the studio should see. 7/10

Exit Through the Gift Shop
A well executed circuitous doc about street art starring/helmed by Banksy. There's no point trying to explain it, I can see why Pedro gave it so much love. 7.5/10

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work
Man I really don't like her. Well this doc didn't help much with that but it was certainly an interesting look at a very important comedienne regardless of what you think of her and that's certainly a compliment. 7/10

Going the Distance
Fairly decent rom com mostly because it stretches some of the normal conventions a little with some of its humor and because Charlie Day is awesome. 6/10

The Fighter
A very good luck at a very fucked up family. More a family drama than sports film, this look at a train wreck of a family who happened to produce two pro boxers is at times funny, at times sad, and mostly entertaining. This is worth seeing for another Christian Bale mega performance. 7.5/10

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:31 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Cleopatra (1963) **1/2

Despite the 4:03 hour running length, the major issues with Netflix Instant yesterday, and the long-winded speeches, I have finished this movie. And you know what? It's not bad. The first half (Caesar and Cleopatra) is superior, with an engaging performance by Rex Harrison in the lead. The second half (Antony and Cleopatra) gets too long-winded and mopey, and drags the movie down when audiences most need some excitement. I'm glad I've now seen this historical, notorious even, Hollywood film, though it's hard not to think that I could have watched 2-3 better movies in the time I spent on this one.

Now see, if you could have watched the 1934 version with Claudette Colbert you would have been vastly more entertained and had time to watch another movie or two.

I haven't seen it since it first came out, but I remember being much more impressed by Rex Harrison, and I remember a tiny bit of nudity that's probably a figment of my imagination.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 pm
My kids wanted to see Little Fockers today :-(

Don't make my mistake. It is so staggeringly unfunny. You can just see all these big names greedily lining up to grab their millions.

2/10 and in my bottom ten of the year

Rob

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:16 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

Don't make my mistake. It is so staggeringly unfunny. You can just see all these big names greedily lining up to grab their millions.

Rob

Did you kids like it? IF they did, are you going to disown them?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:35 pm
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Cleopatra (1963) **1/2

Despite the 4:03 hour running length, the major issues with Netflix Instant yesterday, and the long-winded speeches, I have finished this movie. And you know what? It's not bad. The first half (Caesar and Cleopatra) is superior, with an engaging performance by Rex Harrison in the lead. The second half (Antony and Cleopatra) gets too long-winded and mopey, and drags the movie down when audiences most need some excitement. I'm glad I've now seen this historical, notorious even, Hollywood film, though it's hard not to think that I could have watched 2-3 better movies in the time I spent on this one.

Now see, if you could have watched the 1934 version with Claudette Colbert you would have been vastly more entertained and had time to watch another movie or two.

I haven't seen it since it first came out, but I remember being much more impressed by Rex Harrison, and I remember a tiny bit of nudity that's probably a figment of my imagination.

Rex Harrison is indeed very good. If you count pasties as nudity then there is indeed some. Not to mention a fuckton of cleavage

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:16 am
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (**1/2 out of ****)

A disappointment when compared to the first two Narnia movies because it lacks a narrative drive and there's not much in the way of character development either. The special effects are still very good and the performances are decent, but this one is a little boring and bland compared to the others. It has too many generic fantasy staples including dragons, serpents, and quests for lords & swords. It really just wanders around aimlessly on the ship "Dawn Treader" waiting for something to happen. I'm really kind of depressed because I really liked the first two films and this one is a step down when the series was already struggling to maintain cinematic life. I fear this may be the last one made and the series didn't go out the way it deserved. Hopefully I'm wrong and they end up making The Silver Chair, but the box office returns don't signify much hope. Don't get me wrong though, this certainly isn't a bad movie ad it has solid production values. I'm sure most people will find some enjoyment out of it (the later events in the movie are far more entertaining than the first hour or so), but I was expecting a little more out of director Michael Apted based on his pedigree.

Frozen (*** out of ****)

A tense and frightening experience that had me clutching several times at my seat. It's got a terrific premise that truly is horrifying to even think about, and despite a few bumps in the road (cheesy dialogue, suspension of disbelief a little higher than the norm) it works. It doesn't quite have enough material for 90 minutes (I mean seriously, what can you do with characters being trapped on a ski lift when no one else is around?), but despite dragging on a little too long I thought it was a heck of an experience. Recent horror films have desensitized me to blood and gore because that is basically all they are about, but this one has characters worth rooting for and makes the blood and gore more than just effects to gross people out. I was genuinely terrified while watching and that's one of the best compliments I can give a horror film.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:41 am
I got a couple of Blu-Rays for Christmas, and have watched most of them.

Serenity: ****
Still my favorite sci-fi movie of all-time.

Star Trek: First Contact: *** 1/2
The best of the TNG Star Trek films, featuring Patrick Stuart at his best.

Heat: ****
Love, love, love this movie. Best heist movie of all time.

The Godfather: ****
What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said?

And I got my wife...

Back to the Future trilogy: *** 1/2
Manages to keep it's quality throughout three films, something that most trilogies can't claim.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:48 am
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Did you kids like it? IF they did, are you going to disown them?

I'm watching a film of high art tonight and they are out on the streets.
To be fair, they thought it was crap as well.

Maybe I will "Let them in"

Rob

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 am
For my last movie of 2010 it was between Metropolis (Restored) and Art School Confidential. I don't believe I chose very wisely.

Not that Art School Confidential was a bad movie. The problem is that Terry Zwigoff, when earlier working with material from Daniel Clowes, already struck gold. To counterbalance the excellence of Ghost World, to restore some yin to the universe's generous pile of yang, Zwigoff had to make this movie. And what is this movie? It's a thriller/comedy/drama/romance that wishes to poke a hole in the Artiste while somehow, through the miracle of unacceptable sloppiness, making a murderous failure (Jim Broadbent, in a performance that should have been reserved for a worthwhile script) the only lovable character.

So many problems with this movie. The race through every conceivable genre was just a foolish idea, every actor appears to believe they're in entirely different movies, and the mockery of pretentious artist-wannabes was better accomplished in Ghost World's Mirror, Father, Mirror. An entire movie that laughs at the brains behind Mirror, Father, Mirror... when did this seem like a good idea? When, Zwigoff, When?!

And then there's the character of Jonah. This character, quite possibly the most unwelcome addition to a movie stuffed full of really questionable ideas, offers up the stupidest, just fucking stunningly bad, resolution to a movie that you don't need to see.

But I fear the point of the movie resides in all the genre-bending chock-full-o-bad-ideas randomness. It's one of the only Anti-Movies I've ever seen. Just like the mopey 14-year-old who's seen it all and knows better than you, Art School Confidential hates everything while doing it to be, ya know, ironic. I think it's weird that the movie was made by adults for an adult audience.

I wrote a paper, this was in high school, that was called a "well-earned D" by the teacher. That's exactly what Art School Confidential was! That's just swell.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:43 am
Metropolis is part of our film club in 2011
Rob

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:46 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

I know. And who's leading the discussion? 'Tis me. I even checked out a couple of books on the film/era/director/etc. to make my contribution less hopeless. They'll make me an honorary Eagle Scout for my thorough preparedness.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:54 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

I know. And who's leading the discussion? 'Tis me. I even checked out a couple of books on the film/era/director/etc. to make my contribution less hopeless. They'll make me an honorary Eagle Scout for my thorough preparedness.

I can't wait
This should be so much fun. I just hope a few others beyond the regulars join in
Rob

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:03 am
Joint Security Area
~Park Chan-Wook's been all over the place for me. I hated the Cut portion of Three... Extremes and really liked Thirst. I ultimately liked this movie, but only because of the strength of the friendship scenes. The film's structure absolutely, 100% didn't work for me. Any emotional impact Park thought it could have had was completely bastardized by his overly dramatic framing and plotting in the introduction and conclusion. The introduction gets a D-, the middle scenes get an A-, and the ending gets a C. I suppose this all pretty much rounds out to a B. Meh, the arbitrariness of ratings and language.

Memories of Murder
~For some reason, I don't have much to say on this one. I really liked it, though. The story's always interesting and the leads are well developed. The cinematography's great. A-

Yogi Bear
~Well, there's almost nothing to like here. The film has lifeless characterization, lifeless filmmaking, and no reason for existing. At the same time, I prefer this to the soulless characterization, soulless filmmaking, and bastardized reason for existing of Alice in Wonderland. They both get Ds, but Tim Burton's most successful movie in ages (ever?) is worse. (Yogi Bear had a pointless dancing scene to bad music. At least it didn't end the film with that bullshit.)

TRON
~This film takes itself way too seriously. People label this as fun... well, I didn't see any. I was bored by the middle chunk, pleasantly diverted by little bits here and there. The campy qualities don't compliment the aesthetic as well as people give it credit for. Nothing in TRON is engaging. C-

Exit Through the Gift Shop (second viewing)
~Nah, it's for reals. Come on, guys! I showed this to four of my friends, all of whom were enraged by the end of the production. A-, still the best film of the year not even close.

Zombieland (second viewing)
~I think I have a man crush on Jesse Eisenberg, and a real crush on Emma Stone. This film benefits from good writing, good performances, and ultimately being located in a theme park. This is all without mentioning Bill Murray, who's so much fun to watch. I watched this with my father, who seems to hate everything. He liked this. B+

The Expendables
~It's cheesy and dumb, but all in good fun I suppose. The only thing that kept me from hating it was the fact that the actors on screen probably had a lot of fun making the film (it shows) and Mickey Rourke's comical confession scene that would be labeled great if it was in The Wrestler. Stallone had some balls in leaving that scene in the movie, a noticeable disparity when you observe some of the action sequences. They're occasionally fun but never, ever tense. My aunt loved it; affection is infectious. B

Inglourious Basterds (third viewing)
~This was easily the best mainstream movie of 2009. I have some reservations about certain scenes, but problems I had with others have subsided. A-

I also watched most of Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, Pulse, and Battlefield Earth. I hate all of them so far; I'm not sure if any will be finished.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:38 am
Director

mkratzer21 wrote:

Yes :)

Soon I will be rewatching the episodes and the movie--I joined the crew of the leading FF/Serenity podcast, and there's a Firefly in Five lines segment that I'll ad to at some point.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:02 am
Zeppelin wrote:
A Prophet's the only top 10 lock there, a remarkable narrative feat that takes a familiar arc and presents it in a resolutely unfamiliar way, all while mixing up the expected beats in a nice little, crescendoing-mini-arc structure and throwing in a dash of nervy, emotionally intense directing. Easily one of the most impressive films of the year, even if it makes you feel every single one of its 150 minutes (in a good way, though; it never drags).

Good film, but what's up with the protagonist's occasional prescience that lends the film its title? Odd element and methinks the film would have worked better if the prophet-eering had been excised.

Unke wrote:
'Things to come' is a must-see for lovers of classic sci-fi. The only comparable movie is Fritz Lang's silent epic 'Metropolis', to which 'Things to Come' is a sort of counterpoint. 'Things to Come' isn't quite in the same league as Lang's silent masterpiece, but even with its limitations, it is still a very good film. 8/10

This sounds like an underseen gem. I've added it to my list-o-things-to-see, so thank you for the recommendation. As a matter of fact I've picked up quite a few recommendations from you but don't think that I've gotten around to any of them...hmmm...should get on some of those if only to see if I should continue noting the movies you write about :)

JamesKunz wrote:
Oh no I have no personal reasons at all here at all--I just saw it on somebody's Top 10 of 2010 list and was like "Really?" Also, I do think someone should address how it criticizes society's treatment of female sexuality while simultaneously making our hero a virgin who doesn't really have sex with anyone. It kinda wants things both ways. But a largely unimportant point--I like the movie

Nice. I'm getting ready to compile my first top 10 of 2010 draft and am strongly considering the inclusion of Easy A. I'll add "irritates James Kunz" in the "Advantages" column.

bob harris wrote:
Love and Other Drugs

Jake and Anne spend a lot of naked time here in a grown up relationship drama that while good, could've been much stronger. James praised this film for an honest look at adult relationships and while I partly agree, I would've liked to have seem more from these characters other than their lives dealing with sex and Parkinson's. The chemistry is very good and the film has its strengths but I was left wanting a little more. 6.5/10

They "spend a lot of naked time" and yet you wanted to see more "from" the characters. I always suspected you were a perv Joe, but this confirms it. In all seriousness the general critical reaction makes me think that JB overrated this one. I still intend to check it out sometime though. Why? Because you've said that there's lots of nakedness!

Blace wrote:
Frozen (*** out of ****)

A tense and frightening experience that had me clutching several times at my seat. It's got a terrific premise that truly is horrifying to even think about, and despite a few bumps in the road (cheesy dialogue, suspension of disbelief a little higher than the norm) it works. It doesn't quite have enough material for 90 minutes (I mean seriously, what can you do with characters being trapped on a ski lift when no one else is around?), but despite dragging on a little too long I thought it was a heck of an experience. Recent horror films have desensitized me to blood and gore because that is basically all they are about, but this one has characters worth rooting for and makes the blood and gore more than just effects to gross people out. I was genuinely terrified while watching and that's one of the best compliments I can give a horror film.

I agree with your thoughts completely, but my rating is about a half star lower. Things peter out fairly quickly, but you have to give them kudos for the gumption to film an entire movie (well, almost) on a ski lift.

mkratzer21 wrote:

Star Trek: First Contact: *** 1/2
The best of the TNG Star Trek films, featuring Patrick Stuart at his best.

Heat: ****
Love, love, love this movie. Best heist movie of all time.

The Godfather: ****
What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said?

And I got my wife...

Back to the Future trilogy: *** 1/2
Manages to keep it's quality throughout three films, something that most trilogies can't claim.

That's quite a sweet Christmas haul there, Kratz. Say, would you and Firefly be interested in some sort of "#1 Serenity Fan" competition? I'm thinking cage match...

Pedro wrote:
Joint Security Area
~Park Chan-Wook's been all over the place for me. I hated the Cut portion of Three... Extremes and really liked Thirst. I ultimately liked this movie, but only because of the strength of the friendship scenes. The film's structure absolutely, 100% didn't work for me. Any emotional impact Park thought it could have had was completely bastardized by his overly dramatic framing and plotting in the introduction and conclusion. The introduction gets a D-, the middle scenes get an A-, and the ending gets a C. I suppose this all pretty much rounds out to a B. Meh, the arbitrariness of ratings and language.

Oh! This is actually my favourite Park film (barely) so I'm really glad that you...kind of liked it.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:51 am
Director

Quote:
That's quite a sweet Christmas haul there, Kratz. Say, would you and Firefly be interested in some sort of "#1 Serenity Fan" competition? I'm thinking cage match...

We in the Browncoat community are far too civilized for such rivalry. If a FF-ignorant Trekkie dare raises his head though, well, I can make no guarantees.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:52 pm
Critic

This week on Mediocre Thrillers we've got quite a haul for you!

The China Syndrome (1979) **1/2

I'm fairly far left on the political spectrum (like most movie fans I daresay) so believe me when I tell you that this movie is liberal jerkoff material. Oh no the nuclear powerplants! The corporate evil! Evil aside from the fact that I was rolling my eyes half the time, the movie's pretty moribund as a thriller. I really was not impressed. It only earns 2.5 stars on the basis of its acting and overall production.

Young and Innocent (1937) **1/2

I try to watch at least one Hitchcock film a year, as he's my favorite director, but when you've seen 28 of his films there's just not that much to choose from. So I watched Young and Innocent, which is one of those movies that feels entirely like a worse version of other, better ones. Wish I'd just trotted out The 39 Steps again instead. Although then I'd only be at 27 Hitchcock films, so perhaps it's a good think I devoted 80 minutes to this film.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:30 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

I'm fairly far left on the political spectrum (like most movie fans I daresay) so believe me when I tell you that this movie is liberal jerkoff material. Oh no the nuclear powerplants! The corporate evil! Evil aside from the fact that I was rolling my eyes half the time, the movie's pretty moribund as a thriller. I really was not impressed. It only earns 2.5 stars on the basis of its acting and overall production.

YES! You even rate it higher than me while pinpointing every single irritating thing about it. I'm pretty cold on Important Message Movies (Blood Diamond, por ejemplo) and TCS is standard-issue. In 1979 it must have been incredible, daring, so on. It hasn't aged well and that's true of its brothers and sisters of 70s Doomsday Theater.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:06 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

YES! You even rate it higher than me while pinpointing every single irritating thing about it. I'm pretty cold on Important Message Movies (Blood Diamond, por ejemplo) and TCS is standard-issue. In 1979 it must have been incredible, daring, so on. It hasn't aged well and that's true of its brothers and sisters of 70s Doomsday Theater.

That and Silkwood were responsible for preventing nuclear power from expanding in America.

I also am not generally fond of IMMs. Some people treated Brokeback Mountain as an IMM. IMMs almost always don't hold up near as well in hindsight--eg Guess Who's Coming For Dinner (and that's even an example off a message--interracial romance is ok--that no civilized person would disagree with).

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 751  Next