Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332 ... 784  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
firefly wrote:
I think it is pretty objective that Keaton's style holds up better in the sense that it is much, much closer to the modern approach to cinematic acting than that of his contemporaries.

No sorry I think Pete's got you here. How a movie "holds up" is entirely subjective. If you want to talk about how similar Keaton's style is to modern acting, well maybe that is closer to the right direction, but how it holds up is 90% opinion.

Ken wrote:
Ah, but what does this tell you about how movies use dialogue?

God damn it, I wish I had a wooden pipe and a tweed jacket with leather on the elbows. I would be hitting that pipe so fucking thoughtfully right now.

Love your signature Ken.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:29 pm
The Princess and the Warrior

A Hypnotic and compelling off kilter romance/adventure film. This is definitely a non-Hollywood flick. A psychiatric nurse is nearly killed by being run over by a truck. Trapped underneath it and unable to breath, her life is saved by the thief who also happened to be the one to cause the accident. She later tracks him down, but, to the surprise of no one, he wants nothing to do with her.

By the way, who the hell believes that foreign films are "boring"? Crazy people apparently. I really liked how this film keeps the proceedings interesting, not by having action scenes or resorting to off color humor, but rather through complex camera work and by keeping the audience guessing as to characters motivations and intents.

I loved every minute of it.

-Jeremy

JamesKunz wrote:
Love your signature Ken.

I agree completely.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:23 pm
Director

Black Swan *** 1/2
Already posted my thoughts in James' thread. Not quite as good as The Wrestler but still a compelling movie with a terrific lead performance.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:40 pm
True Grit (2010): More thoughts in the Recent Reviews section. I liked the film, but it's not as good as the John Wayne classic. 7/10.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:48 am
firefly wrote:
The General ****
Wow, this is an incredible film. Buster Keaton plays a train engineer who is rejected by the Confederate army only to find himself right in the tick of things. Keaton is incredibly good, mastering both physical comedy and daring stuntwork. The score is outstanding. Every film fan should see this film.

What score would that be? The General is one of those silent films that does not have a score. It's also in the public domain which means anyone can release the film on dvd using whatever score they choose. The high quality DVDs usually offer several alternate scores that were specifically commissioned for the film.

I have to say that I tend to agree with the points Pete made in your brief, but enlightening, debate. However, I'm with you in thinking that the film is a great one. It's a mistake to think of the film as a comedy. It's one of the better (the best?) adventure films made during the silent period. I especially appreciate the, let's say, symmetry of the picture. Keaton spends the first half doing the chasing. Then, after a brief interlude, the film literally turns in the opposite direction and suddenly it's him being chased in a identical manner.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:36 pm
I think it has a touch of Indiana Jones. It's most certainly a series of action set-pieces, but there is a lot of humor in the rough-and-tumble antics of the character.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:17 pm
Director

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan ***
Certainly an improvement over the first film, this Star Trek still has some issues--some of the acting is not very good, and the endemic problems to the Star Trek series (overly tidy, the ship is a boundless mass that has no character, etc.) are still present. But Ricardo Montabain (sic) is strong in a well-drawn lead villain, though.

Quote:

What score would that be? The General is one of those silent films that does not have a score. It's also in the public domain which means anyone can release the film on dvd using whatever score they choose. The high quality DVDs usually offer several alternate scores that were specifically commissioned for the film.

The one that is on the Netflix streaming edition.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:07 pm
Director

Restrepo *** 1/2
Powerful documentary covering a group of marines in Afghanistan. The approach is essentially the anti-Michael Moore--no heavyhanded political agenda, no heavy interjection of filmmaker into the product, etc. I've seen a few Afghanistan-related documentaries, this is probably the best.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:32 pm
Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

A rewatch, caught in cable TV chop-o-vision. Basically a retread of the first film, with largely the same pros and cons. This time around, there's some broad and obvious satire thrown in, but I can't blame them for making Homeland Security out to be a bunch of inept goons. Smarter and funnier than the average stoner comedy. I'll definitely check out H&K3.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:15 am
Wall Street (*** out of ****)

An entertaining and well acted film for the most part, but one that gets kind of hard to understand if you don't know much about the stock market and wall street. Plenty of the vocabulary went over my head at times, but I tried my best to come away with something. Michael Douglas is very good in this movie and plays a memorable character in Gordon Gekko. He's menacing and would likely rip you to shreds given the chance. Charlie Sheen is solid and at times charismatic as Bud Fox and his father adds some respectability to the cast. Daryl Hannah is basically throw away in this movie. Nothing memorable or enticing as a female lead given the publicity on the cover. The movie definitely captures the 80's very well and if you want a time capsule for that time period, this is a solid choice. It isn't anything revolutionary or amazing, but it's solidly entertaining 2 hours with some extra spice thanks to Michael Douglas.

Devil (**1/2 out of ****)

Not nearly as bad as some people made it out to be and certainly much better than what Shymalan has directed since he decided to became a hack. It still has all the elements of one of his movies, from the religious ramblings to the supernatural elements that don't make sense with a character trying to explain them for no reason and making the movie feel contrived. It has some decent spooky moments and the movie isn't boring, but the stupid security guard constantly talking about the religious mumbo jumbo makes the movie feel fake and dumb.I wish they would have cut that out. It would have made the movie more terrifying. I still think it is a solid rental if you want something with a good concept for a horror movie. The execution is a little dicey, but it just barely coasts through long enough for me to give a mild recommendation.

Easy A (***1/2 out of ****)

All you need to know about this movie is it rested completely on Emma Stone's shoulders and she rose up to the challenge. She is amazing in this movie. She's witty, hilarious, and absolutely sexy. I wasn't a fan until I saw this, but I'm part of the fan club now. Hopefully she gets more leading parts. She deserves it.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:42 am
Not gonna do a synopsis for each (too tuckered out for that), but since my last posting, here's what I've seen...

Rabbit Hole - 7/10
Cleopatra Jones - 7/10
The Kids Are All Right - 7/10
The Monster That Challenged the World - 5/10
Rustlers' Rhapsody - 5/10
True Grit (2010) - 9/10
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 8/10
Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker - 4/10

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:15 am
It's a Wonderful Life

The latest in my magical film season for my kids

I was blown away by the Blu ray of this. It feels like brand new. It's amazing how fresh this film feels every time.

The kids loved the movie

One of the true greats of course - 10/10

Rob

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:35 am
Blace wrote:

Not nearly as bad as some people made it out to be and certainly much better than what Shymalan has directed since he decided to became a hack. It still has all the elements of one of his movies, from the religious ramblings to the supernatural elements that don't make sense with a character trying to explain them for no reason and making the movie feel contrived. It has some decent spooky moments and the movie isn't boring, but the stupid security guard constantly talking about the religious mumbo jumbo makes the movie feel fake and dumb.I wish they would have cut that out. It would have made the movie more terrifying. I still think it is a solid rental if you want something with a good concept for a horror movie. The execution is a little dicey, but it just barely coasts through long enough for me to give a mild recommendation.

Totally enjoyed this. Nothing great. Perfect for a Friday night with a beer
Rob

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:37 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Blace wrote:

Rob

How many beers? :lol:

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:58 am
Pedro wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Blace wrote:

Rob

How many beers? :lol:

I was speaking metaphorically as i don't drink beer that much
But wine will do the trick!
Rob

Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:09 am
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
It's a Wonderful Life

I was blown away by the Blu ray of this. It feels like brand new. It's amazing how fresh this film feels every time.

The kids loved the movie

Rob

This makes me excited to watch my blu ray Casablanca.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:42 am
A Christmas Story: What else? 10/10.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:29 pm
firefly wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
It's a Wonderful Life

The kids loved the movie

Rob

This makes me excited to watch my blu ray Casablanca.

I have Casablanca on DVD but It's a Wonderful Life is a VHS we've had as long as I can remember :( Blu-Rays for my two favorite films would be nice.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:59 pm
Director

True Grit...the new one.

It doesn't rise to the level of greatness that the Coens achieved with Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country, and others, but it isn't terrible either. Jeff Bridges is the film's greatest asset; he completely eclipses everyone else, including newcomer Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon (whose performance is pretty disposable). Josh Brolin and Barry Pepper aren't bad, but they have only brief parts.

This may be nitpicking on my part, but Mattie use of proper diction and more formal English kept taking me out of the movie, keeping me at an emotional distance from her character. I know that there is a reason for her dialogue - primarily to showcase a contrast between the worldly and wise Mattie and the rough and scrappy Rooster, but it hit me the wrong way.

On the bright side, Bridges completely makes you forget about John Wayne. He owns Rooster Cogburn. I would not be surprised if he gets nominated for another Oscar.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:56 pm
You know, I really don't like the new The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. My mother put it on for my niece, blech.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332 ... 784  Next