Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789 ... 840  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Lucy

Crushing disappointment. Probably the weakest film I've seen this year. For one thing, the trailers give away all the good stuff. There's not a single memorable frame in the 90 minutes that didn't look better in the trailer. Secondly, Scarlet is woefully miscast. She really can't pull off this kind of role, especially when it calls for her to behave like a computer (painful shots to watch). She wasn't Besson's first choice, and that shows rather obviously at times. Even for a 90 minute film, all the ideas are way too underdeveloped. Besson doesn't find any time to have fun with them. With Inception, Nolan found about two solid minutes to have fun with his concept during the zero gravity hallway scene. But Besson doesn't get even that far. Instead, he goes straight for the pseudo-brainy stuff without giving it enough of a context. Also, especially in the first half, this movie is just way too cheesy. Scarlet's crying scene is painfully mawkish, and some of the intercutting in the beginning scenes is just sloppy hack work.

Really thought I would like this movie, but it just doesn't live up to its potential.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:49 am
Producer

The Expendables 3

This leaked online. Saw it. It's not as good as Expendables 2 but it was it was still fun. Antonio Banderas steals all the scenes he's in. He's hilarious. Harrison Ford is great too. Mel Gibson is not as fun as Jean Claude Van Damme was in the second film, but he made for a decent villain although his and Stallone's final showdown was disappointingly short. Wesley Snipe's first scene is great but a part from that, he doesn't really have much to do. But perhaps the most disappointing thing about the movie is that Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't have nearly as much to do as he did in the second film. Statham's role also seems slightly diminished and Jet Li shows up in the third act, but he doesn't have any fight scenes. He's only involved with shootouts. And that is also very disappointing. He probably has more screen time in this than he did in the 2nd film, but he had some awesome fight scenes in the second one. Not here. Still a fun movie though. The last 30 minutes are pretty awesome.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:32 am
Assistant Director

The Karate Kid Caught this on AMC yesterday, and though it's hindered by a spotty acting from its lead (Macchio), some cheesy dialogue, and the usual cheesiness of 80's teen films, I still found the film to be quite effective. Pat Morita steals every scene with his funny, yet humble and sincere performance as the iconic Miyagi. Perhaps it's the nostalgia, but I think it is a really fun and entertaining film. Grade: B

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Planes: Fire & Rescue (2014)

I took the kids to see this last night. Better than the first Planes movie in that it has a broader story, and a pretty decent story at that. This is a mostly serious movie with quite a lot of action and not a whole lot of laughs. A lot of the comedy is tied to a character that becomes repetitive very fast. Fortunately he's a fairly peripheral character (stick around through the credits if you want to see where he ends up). If you like animation with drama/action type elements you may find it entertaining. The look of the animation was very good (we saw the 2-D version). The kids (ages 7 & 11) were both completely absorbed and really enjoyed the film. I have a difficult time getting pulled into animation and am luke warm about the experience. I certainly found it to be much more interesting than the first.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 am
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
The Karate Kid Caught this on AMC yesterday, and though it's hindered by a spotty acting from its lead (Macchio), some cheesy dialogue, and the usual cheesiness of 80's teen films, I still found the film to be quite effective. Pat Morita steals every scene with his funny, yet humble and sincere performance as the iconic Miyagi. Perhaps it's the nostalgia, but I think it is a really fun and entertaining film. Grade: B

You know, I had never seen it as a kid, but when I watched it a few years ago I was impressed. Much like with Rocky (though it's not that film's equal), it comes off in popular memory as a formula/nostalgia movie, but is actually a real film. Good for it.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:21 am
Cinematographer

Thief12 wrote:

It certainly has a good helping of cheese sprinkled on it, but I've always been a sucker for the teacher/pupil relationship that is an essential element of many martial arts movies and is central to this one. Not as moving as it was through my eyes when seen as a young adult, but still a good and involving film.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:28 am
Assistant Director

CasualDad wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

It certainly has a good helping of cheese sprinkled on it, but I've always been a sucker for the teacher/pupil relationship that is an essential element of many martial arts movies and is central to this one. Not as moving as it was through my eyes when seen as a young adult, but still a good and involving film.

You know, you brought up one thing that probably flew right past me when I was a kid/teen, and that's the background of Miyagi's character which essentially fuels his actions. The scene where he is drunk, remembering his wife and child, probably had more of an impact now than it had before. Which is one big reason why he might choose to teach Daniel. This is the son he didn't have, just like he is the father Daniel hasn't had. And for all the faults in Macchio's performance, they do have pretty good chemistry together.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Meet Dave

An Eddie Murphy flick with a fair amount of imagination and cleverness. The gimmick is so extreme and absurd that to me the film comes across as kind of audacious. It's silly, but it knows it's silly, and that makes all the difference. There's some good laughs and interesting situations. Not sure what more you can ask from a comedy. But as far as high concepts go, this is about 100 lightyears ahead of, say, The Mask. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:09 am
Director

Oculus (2013)
Nice little horror film from writer/director Mike Flanagan about a brother (Brenton Thwaites) and sister (Doctor Who's Karen Gillan) who try and "kill" an evil mirror that had taken the lives of their parents 11 years earlier and document the whole thing. The film cleverly juxtaposes current events with those from a decade ago, as the nature of the mirror is slowly revealed. It becomes quickly clear the mirror is capable of distorting reality in the minds of it's victims, and neither we or the two protagonists know if what we are seeing is real or not. Oculus reminded me of The Shining (madness bought on by hallucination) with a bit Paranormal Activity thrown in. While the film is not particularly scary and the ending somewhat predictable, I was nonetheless thoroughly engrossed throughout.
7/10.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:50 pm
Second Unit Director

A Most Wanted Man

It's impossible to separate watching this film from knowing what path Philip Seymour Hoffman was on. I'm not going to pretend I was capable of doing that. I haven't found this as fact, but it sure seems like a few lines, scenes, and certainly the final images, were re-edited after he died. It's just fine because it still serves the story well and never detracts, but it's inevitably a part of the film.

But it's still gotta be a movie on its own, and that it is. The spycraft is realistic in its lack of flair and polish. The system of interfering and crossing over between intelligence groups isn't a new concept, but it plays well here on the strength of great acting and writing. It's massively more simple than Tinker Tailor or Spy Who Came in from the Cold -- it's not Bourne, but those calling it wildly complicated or hard to follow baffle me. The relationships and dominoes are as clear as they can be -- the viewers almost always know more than the players involved. The suspense comes from the big picture, but there are some wonderfully clever suspense sequences involving things that we generally don't associate with intrigue. Hoffman is a beast as always -- it's not his greatest film, but it is a great performance. We get almost zero background on anyone -- Hoffman's past mistakes that landed him in Hamburg are hinted at -- but the casting of known and unknown actors (and their great performances) fill in the gaps. This is a le Carre spy film directed by Anton Corbijn, and that alone should tell you if you're going to like it or not. I loved it and would watch it again right now.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:41 pm
Cinematographer

I watched The World's End again recently, and I am finding it hard to reconcile David Bradley's role in the film as a comedic plot-exposition device. I'm still too set in thinking of him as scum after the Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones. Fucking shit-bag.

(I am talking about his character, not him personally, in case anyone didn't get it.)

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:57 pm
Director

It's probably like watching Star Trek and trying to reconcile Sylar as Spock.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:46 pm
Director

Julius Caesar: this is the 1950s version with James Mason as Brutus, John Gielgud as Cassius and Marlon Brando as Marc Antony. Poor Mason is overmatched by his co-stars. Louis Calhern is Julius Caesar. One striking thing about Shakespeare's play is how just about every single decision Brutus makes is a disaster. It makes you wonder how he survived to adulthood.

Interestingly, Brando's not on screen as nearly as much as Mason and Gielgud, but he's the one who commands the screen, not just during the Speech, but during the tightrope scene when he meets with the conspirators over Caesar's body. It's a superb acting performance playing a man doing a superb acting performance. One of my favorite moments is during Brutus's speech when he hears a woman's scream and turns around, and there is Antony silently holding Caesar's body. Brutus is so stunned he's speechless for a good part of a minute. Brando got a deserved Best Actor nomination for the movie, though you could argue that in terms of length, Mason and Gielgud's performances are the leads.

Julius Caesar is rather stodgy for Shakespeare, and the battle(s) of Philippi aren't dwelt on as much as you'd expect, but this is a really well-done version.(8 of 10)

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:02 pm
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
Julius Caesar: this is the 1950s version with James Mason as Brutus, John Gielgud as Cassius and Marlon Brando as Marc Antony. Poor Mason is overmatched by his co-stars. Louis Calhern is Julius Caesar. One striking thing about Shakespeare's play is how just about every single decision Brutus makes is a disaster. It makes you wonder how he survived to adulthood.

Interestingly, Brando's not on screen as nearly as much as Mason and Gielgud, but he's the one who commands the screen, not just during the Speech, but during the tightrope scene when he meets with the conspirators over Caesar's body. It's a superb acting performance playing a man doing a superb acting performance. One of my favorite moments is during Brutus's speech when he hears a woman's scream and turns around, and there is Antony silently holding Caesar's body. Brutus is so stunned he's speechless for a good part of a minute. Brando got a deserved Best Actor nomination for the movie, though you could argue that in terms of length, Mason and Gielgud's performances are the leads.

Julius Caesar is rather stodgy for Shakespeare, and the battle(s) of Philippi aren't dwelt on as much as you'd expect, but this is a really well-done version.(8 of 10)

I was underwhelmed by this. The sets and direction were often middling, and Brutus (who pretty much commands the final act) never excites like Brando does

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:27 pm
Assistant Director

Two watches...

Non-Stop The latest entry in Liam Neeson's "bad-ass" resume might have a familiar premise, but the way it starts executing it is an interesting and somewhat effective one. A troubled air marshal (Neeson) finds himself stuck in a plane with a mysterious man that promises to kill someone every 20 minutes if he doesn't get $150 million. It doesn't sound that different from other similar thrillers, but I thought the use of the texting between the killer and the marshal was well done, and the direction of Jaume Collet-Serra held everything together. Unfortunately, as the film goes on, it gets more generic eventually unraveling into the same crappy flaws that its kind have stumbled before. For its duration, the cat-and-mouse game between the killer and Neeson is what keeps it interesting, but once this is revealed, the film quickly deflates. Add to that several implausible moments, cheap dialogue, uninteresting villains; all of those come together to make this crash worse than the plane on the film. I'll give points to it for being mildly effective for some of its duration, and because Neeson gives the role the usual elegance. Grade: C+ or a straight C

Enemy On the other end of the spectrum, there is this slow-paced, weird thriller with Jake Gyllenhaal starring as a meek history teacher that stumbles upon a mysterious, uhh, man. The film is intriguing, and keeps building on everything as it goes on and on, and Gyllenhaal holds it all together with his performance. Like with Prisoners, director Denis Villeneuve makes good use of the camera, but sometimes it felt as if it was being quirky just for the sake of being quirky. I just finished it about half an hour ago, so maybe I need to wallow a bit more in it to let the plot sink in, but regardless, I did find myself engrossed into it. Grade: B+

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Director

Wish I Was Here

The last few movies I've seen in theaters have reminded me of other movies. Edge Of Tomorrow recalled Aliens, Starship Troopers, Groundhog Day and Full Metal Jacket. Jersey Boys evoked Goodfellas, Dreamgirls, The Fighter and Beyond The Sea.

Now we have Zack Braff's second directorial effort, which evokes at various times A Serious Man, In Good Company, The Descendants, About Schmidt, The Bucket List, a few Wes Anderson movies and so on.

I liked Braff's previous directorial effort Garden State. But have mixed feelings about this one. There are some amusing and warm moments. But on the whole, it's not especially memorable. Braff's character is pretty self-centered (he's an actor still waiting for the big break while his wife works as the main breadwinner) until his father's development of terminal cancer forces him to look at the whole world outside his bubble and to care about other people. In addition, the derivative elements also pull one out of the story. While it was easy to stay engaged during Edge Of Tomorrow, there were moments here where the mind wandered.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:14 pm
Assistant Director

Another watch today...

The Raid 2 is, in many ways, different than its predecessor. For starters, the story isn't enclosed in a single setting, which allows the characters and the plot to cover more. Secondly, and more important, it's more ambitious, both in its story and in its visuals. But at its core, the film still remains a vehicle for pure, non-stop action and dazzling fight choreographies. This isn't necessarily bad, but the attempts to stretch the plot aren't completely successful. Despite great direction, it can't help but feel like different vignettes designed to put the characters in certain situations to fight. Thankfully, most of them are great fights. However, the other flaw is that the film ends up being too long, clocking at 2+ hours. Despite this simple flaws, the film still manages to thrill with the action, just like the first one did, but this time with a more assured direction and more stylized visuals. Grade: B

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Director

On the Beach (1959)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/
Yesteryear A-listers galore star in this post-nuclear apocalypse film directed by Stanley Kramer (It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World), in which the crew of a surviving US atomic submarine docked in Melbourne, Australia (which was evidently spared any conflict), cavort with the locals after everyone in US and Europe has been wiped out. Gregory Peck stars as the submarine's captain while Ava Gardner plays his Australian love interest. Anthony Perkins and Fred Astaire also have significant screen time.
The tone of On the Beach seemed very off to me. Their one fear is that the nuclear fallout cloud is five months from reaching Australia, and so may soon all die from radiation exposure. Everyone is given suicide pills they can take to end their suffering, should the need arise. One would perhaps expect against this ominous bleak backdrop that everyone would be a bit down and depressed. Remarkably the opposite seems to be true. The film is surprisingly light, even breezy. No one from the sub seems to much care that everyone they knew and loved in the US are dead. Similarly the Australians aren't particularly gloomy about their situation either - post-apocalypse it'll be business as usual in Melbourne apparently, even though they may only have months to live.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
And indeed they all die. This marks the 3rd film I have seen this month where everyone dies.

Performances are typical for films from this period - i.e. imo slightly hammy compounded by unnatural dialogue - but it only bothered me for a few minutes. Endless refrains of various arrangements of the Australian folk song "Waltzing Matilda" play throughout the film ad nauseam - you'll wish you could unremember it by the end.
Not terrible by any means, but imo not exactly a classic either. I can't help but wonder what Ingmar Bergman might have done with the same scenario.
6.5/10.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am
Second Unit Director

Snowpiecer (2013)

Another dystopian post catastrophe film about a train of survivors circling the global in a magically powered train during a human induced ice age. I found the movie a bit uneven with parts that were well done and others that left me kind of bored and annoyed. The production design,special effects and direction are very well done. The acting is good but Tilda Swinton is completely hilarious in her role and steals the whole movie. Her take of the worst kind of mindless government bureaucrat,church lady and Margret Thatcher rolled into one had me really laughing.

The not so good part for me was the story. The premise starts out well and then becomes another tiresome Malthusian polemic together with a Marxist cautionary fable that probably will be more amenable to Poli-Sci majors and coffee house revolutionaries. The train allegory is kind of interesting in fiction as it is a stupid idea in reality. My father worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway and the rail lines and bridges need constant repair and inspection to keep them safe yet here they go millions of miles for 17 years without mishap or even repair to your rolling stock. Okay sure. That aside what they maybe alluding to is the conservative novel Atlas Shrugged with the engine of uninterrupted power,railways, a winner take all society and the mysterious cult like Wilford/John Galt inventor who rejects any kind of communalism.

The other thing I didn't quite get is how there is "rich" people in a train where there is no economy and money is now only worthless paper and where they found supplies to make trendy new clothes,produce steaks,run salons or have railcars that looked pristine. I would have thought after 17 years everything and everyone would start looking shabby and broken down with no new parts or supplies available and the only real currency would be who got more food,water and heat. Unless Wilford had a secret replicator hidden somewhere.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:43 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
On the Beach (1959)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/
Yesteryear A-listers galore star in this post-nuclear apocalypse film directed by Stanley Kramer (It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World), in which the crew of a surviving US atomic submarine docked in Melbourne, Australia (which was evidently spared any conflict), cavort with the locals after everyone in US and Europe has been wiped out. Gregory Peck stars as the submarine's captain while Ava Gardner plays his Australian love interest. Anthony Perkins and Fred Astaire also have significant screen time.
The tone of On the Beach seemed very off to me. Their one fear is that the nuclear fallout cloud is five months from reaching Australia, and so may soon all die from radiation exposure. Everyone is given suicide pills they can take to end their suffering, should the need arise. One would perhaps expect against this ominous bleak backdrop that everyone would be a bit down and depressed. Remarkably the opposite seems to be true. The film is surprisingly light, even breezy. No one from the sub seems to much care that everyone they knew and loved in the US are dead. Similarly the Australians aren't particularly gloomy about their situation either - post-apocalypse it'll be business as usual in Melbourne apparently, even though they may only have months to live.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
And indeed they all die. This marks the 3rd film I have seen this month where everyone dies.

Performances are typical for films from this period - i.e. imo slightly hammy compounded by unnatural dialogue - but it only bothered me for a few minutes. Endless refrains of various arrangements of the Australian folk song "Waltzing Matilda" play throughout the film ad nauseam - you'll wish you could unremember it by the end.
Not terrible by any means, but imo not exactly a classic either. I can't help but wonder what Ingmar Bergman might have done with the same scenario.
6.5/10.

Certainly not a classic. But there are some quiet moments of beauty (Anthony Perkins and his wife are handled very well) and the car racing scenes -- with the exception of a few obvious rear projections -- are excellent.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789 ... 840  Next