Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788 ... 808  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
A Good Day to Die Hard? Ugh. That's one of the few movies I have ever seen that actually pissed me off and broke my heart.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 am
Critic

ilovemovies wrote:
A Good Day to Die Hard? Ugh. That's one of the few movies I have ever seen that actually pissed me off and broke my heart.

THIEF! I expect a lot of ink spilled on how he said "Ugh" and didn't explain why he didn't like the movie. If possible, tie in how he's being elitist and condescending.

...okay, with that, I'm done

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 am
Cinematographer

*sigh* :(

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Director

Allow me to make an observation here.

You can't really make an argument that quality equals popularity. Consider in music. On one hand, you could use the talent equals popularity argument in favor of the Beatles, Michael Jackson or U2. On the other hand, you'd have to accept it for Michael Bolton, Justin Bieber or the Pussycat Dolls.

At the same time, there are people who would argue that taste is subjective and that any of the latter artists I listed above are talented.

Likewise with movies. A lot of people love the Transformers movies. I don't. A lot of people also loved The English Patient. I thought it was an emotionally inert bloated borefest.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 am
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
You can't really make an argument that quality equals popularity.

Truth x10. However, nowadays it's nearly impossible to separate expectation and word-of-mouth from our experience as a viewer. As is often pointed out, yes, sometimes people just like stuff because they're told that they will. However, sometimes there is stuff that is pretty universally appealing. Rotten Tomatoes is mostly useless, but I do find that films that top 88% or so are almost always movies that I like and almost never movies that I love (the exception are some classics). One of many flaws with the RT system is that doesn't really rate in degrees of affection, so you have a movie like Kings of Pastry, which is a delight but pretty unremarkable and unimportant, so naturally it rates very high. In any form of art, it's easier to be universally liked than narrowly loved.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
On one hand, you could use the talent equals popularity argument in favor of the Beatles, Michael Jackson or U2. On the other hand, you'd have to accept it for Michael Bolton, Justin Bieber or the Pussycat Dolls.

Talent is tricky too. Bieber has more than a bit, as do Taylor Swift and Rihanna. Dylan has been praised since the beginning for his lack of polish, and stuff like Conner Oberst's work isn't laden with talent. Ultimately, most of the most talented musicians in the world are studio or classical artists and not very famous. Heart and emotional heft carry you through, which is why Michael Jackson will always be more dearly loved than Justin Timberlake, who is probably more talented but never seems like his heart is really in it.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
At the same time, there are people who would argue that taste is subjective and that any of the latter artists I listed above are talented.

Taste is endlessly objective, but quality is not. It's a question of what our definition of quality should be (and that's largely the point of a forum, right?).

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:12 pm
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:

Not me, personally it made my heart swell with joy.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 pm
Auteur

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Allow me to make an observation here.

You can't really make an argument that quality equals popularity. Consider in music. On one hand, you could use the talent equals popularity argument in favor of the Beatles, Michael Jackson or U2. On the other hand, you'd have to accept it for Michael Bolton, Justin Bieber or the Pussycat Dolls.

Likewise with movies. A lot of people love the Transformers movies. I don't. A lot of people also loved The English Patient. I thought it was an emotionally inert bloated borefest.

I personally wouldn't lump in the Pussycat Dolls are Bolton with Bieber, at least they actually know how to write good songs.

I wish Bolton had continued being a hard rock artist like he used to be in the mid to late 80s before he jumped headfirst into the adult contemporary bandwagon.

Agreed on English Patient 100% though, i'm really surprised JB actually liked that film, when I saw it all I could think of was Elaine in Seinfeld screaming "Just die already!" as I felt the same way.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 pm
Producer

Wicker Park -

Wow. This was not at all what I was expecting. This movie has got to have the single most misleading trailer I have ever seen for a movie. It's a love story crossed with a mystery. It's very cleverly structured. And the performances from Josh Hartnett, Rose Byrne and Diane Kruger are great. Heck, even the normally annoying Matthew Lillard is surprisingly strong in the movie. Excellent flick.

3 stars out of 4 from me, which is the same rating James gave the movie.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 am
Cinematographer

ilovemovies wrote:
Excellent flick.

An "excellent flick" only gets a 3 out of 4 stars?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:19 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Now now, let's not get too carried away.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:05 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Now now, let's not get too carried away.

Eh, if Kunz can go "ewwwww" in regards to Equilibrium, then it's perfectly fine for me to go "yay" in regards to "Good Day To Die Hard", I don't think i'm getting carried away in the least.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:13 pm
Critic

Truly this was the ewwwwwww heard round the world

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:17 pm
Director

I'll throw in my thoughts on two movies I saw recently in theaters, and my thoughts are more or less copy-pasted from their respective threads.

Boyhood-- *** out of ****

It's a very good movie, very involving and every conversation has an undeniable ring of truth to it. I'm impressed that lead actor Ellar Coltrane remains completely natural and authentic at every age. Also, while events are seen predominantly through his character's eyes, the movie also does a great job with his mother as well. The concept of a woman who goes from bad relationship to bad relationship with kids in tow sounds soap-opera-ish, but this one dodges the trap.

Having said that, there are flaws. For a move that emphasizes the passage of time and growth/change, it doesn't give us enough of Ethan Hawke's character, who undergoes a transformation from semi-deadbeat Dad to a responsible one. I wanted to see more of what drove him. Also, one character progresses from stern-but-loving father to a raging drunk a little too quickly. One could argue that the movie moves too fast, that compressing 12 years of growth into a single movie, even one as long as 2 hours 45 minutes, is hard to pull off without feeling a least a little artificial. A mini-series treatment for this would've been perfect and really tightened up the focus.

I'm not as high on this as many critics, but I still definitely recommend everyone seek it out. And I have nothing but the utmost respect for everyone involved in making this that they were able to stick it out for all 12 years. Even though they filmed for no more than a week each year, that's still a huge commitment.

Guardians of the Galaxy-- ** out of ****

I saw an advance screening of this, and frankly I'm kinda disappointed. While it is more STAR WARS than superhero yarn, that's not necessarily a good thing when it's this derivative. The tone is all over the place, ranging from mostly jokey to sudden bursts of seriousness that the characters and circumstances don't earn. The movie consistently looks great (even in 3D, where brightness levels are surprisingly appropriate) and the fight scenes are well-filmed, but it's hard to care about anyone in this movie. And the main villain, who recalls a Sith Lord without being even half as menacing, is just flat-out boring.

This isn't a terrible film; some of the jokes work here and there, and Bradley Cooper's voice-acting is terrific, but the whole thing just feels cheesy and second-rate. I'm sure most will draw AVENGERS comparisons, but STAR WARS is undoubtedly the greater "inspiration" here (I use that term loosely). For me, this is easily the weakest movie to come out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hopefully better projects lie ahead.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:38 pm
Assistant Director

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068182/
Werner Herzog directs this German film about the ill-fated journey of a Spanish expedition in 1560 to discover the legendary gold of El Dorado. Setting off from the mountains of Peru and then rafting down the Amazon, all the while being constantly attacked by native Indians, the leader, Don Aguirre (Klaus Kinski), slowly succumbs to an obsession with power and wealth and it's all downhill (err, downstream) from there. Bonus points for:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Everybody dies. Well while we don't actually see Aguirre die, we know he will.

No critique with the direction (no surprises there) and the acting is mostly good. This thing must surely have been a nightmare to shoot (apparently entirely on location in Peru), by extremely brave people both in front of and behind the camera. Two small nitpicks. I think the blue-eyed Klaus Kinski was a dubious choice for the lead, given the supposed ethnicity of the title character. Further, it was kinda weird watching a foreign language film spoken in German, while portraying Spaniards. Yes, I realise this a complete double standard, given Hollywood's propensity to do the same thing with English, but nonetheless I found supposed Spaniards speaking German strangely discombobulating.
However, the key issue I had with Aguirre, the Wrath of God is that within 30 minutes or so it increasingly reminded me, to its credit but also detriment, of a better film - indeed, one that is firmly in my top five. A group travelling by river into the unknown, culminating with a leader that has descended into madness: Apocalypse Now.
7.5/10.

Last edited by nitrium on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Eh, if Kunz can go "ewwwww" in regards to Equilibrium, then it's perfectly fine for me to go "yay" in regards to "Good Day To Die Hard", I don't think i'm getting carried away in the least.

Sweet baby Jeezus, I'm speaking n jest. Don't take me all that seriously. Although I must admit that joy seems to be an odd emotion in the case of Die Hard.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Sweet baby Jeezus, I'm speaking n jest. Don't take me all that seriously. Although I must admit that joy seems to be an odd emotion in the case of Die Hard.

I know it is, but i'm a very odd person.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:22 pm
Director

You could elaborate with points on why you love it, instead of putting on opposite adjectives in a poster's words. Like Blonde Almond said, it often does read as disrespectful.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 pm
Auteur

peng wrote:
You could elaborate with points on why you love it, instead of putting on opposite adjectives in a poster's words. Like Blonde Almond said, it often does read as disrespectful.

I really don't see how stating a different opinion is being disrespectful in the least.

Anyways I already went into why I like the film on the review thread for it.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 pm
Director

I didn't say anywhere it's because you have different opinions?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 pm
Producer

Johnny Larue wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Excellent flick.

An "excellent flick" only gets a 3 out of 4 stars?

Yes.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:17 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788 ... 808  Next