Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:33 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, 786 ... 819  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2116
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
Journey to the West

Maybe my favorite film of the year so far. Stephen Chow's insanity knows no bounds. If Kung Fu Hustle is Crank, this is Crank 2. Journey follows a similar premise and structure, adds a healthy dose of LSD. If you haven't seen Hustle, you might find this film unintelligible even with subtitles, which is the same way the Crank duology works. It makes you think about a different kind of potential for sequels in general. This isn't a literal sequel to Hustle, of course, but it is spiritually. It's designed to stretch the muscles of your cinematic eye and mind, and does so often in quite alarming ways. It may seem strictly silly most of the time, but it's built on a very elaborate structuralism that I plan on studying further. Quite a movie.


Oh good. I love Stephen Chow films.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:27 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1025
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Borgman (2013)
Unusual, imaginative Dutch film about a group of ground dwelling hobos(!) that slowly and methodically usurp (mostly using deadly poison and mind control) an unsuspecting upper class family for reasons known only to themselves (it's never revealed what motivates them to do what they do). It's hard to precisely classify the genre Borgman belongs too. Personally, I think 'dark modern day fairytale' best describes the events that unfold. Well worth watching if you like your films ambiguous and offbeat with a black/macabre edge.
7.5/10.


Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Re: Equilibrium


Whether it's juvenile or not is a point for debate, but it is a pretty poor movie.

It's shallow, poorly scripted, boring and resorts to martial arts overdrive to fill in the blanks. Remember, Bale was critical poison about the time this was released. It was Batman Begins that saved his career.

In fact, I think I get where Kunzo is coming from. It is juvenile in he sense that it doesn't trust the audience with its true premise. You've got a totalitarian dystopian future right, but the details are scarce to say the least because it's a blockbuster movie and you can't alienate the largely witless movie crowd.

It strikes me as a very compromised project. Just a poor effort, with Bale doing his best Keanu Reeves impression to little avail.

Quote:
Equilibrium is a movie about a totalitarian government that gets defeated by men who use something called (unironically) gun-kata.


Yep. It's actually worse than Reign of Fire. Bale's other bomb of 2002.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Thief12 wrote:
Still, your "ewwww, you called Equilibrium a good film" comment comes off as extremely elitist and condescending. Sometimes you need to accept that everybody has different tastes and not everybody likes the same films.


I'm sorry, but this is a total non-argument.

In that case why critique anything at all. There'll be people out there who unironically like Battlefield Earth. Or think The Room is a moving drama. Should we spare their feelings too?

Should we hell as like. If you're going to be so thin skinned, perhaps don't post at all. Perhaps never leave the house.

'Ewwwwww' is a pretty charitable way to describe a film as daft as Equilibrium.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2234
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Bale was critical poison before Batman Begins? He did The Machinist which got good reviews and he was excellent in it.

Laural Canyon also has a fresh rating of 68% at rottentomatoes.

Yes, he did have a 1-2-3 punch of Captain Corelli's Mandolin/Equilibrium/Reign of Fire all of which have a rotten score on rotten tomatoes. But it wasn't Batman Begins that ended it. Batman Begins did make him a super star though.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3735
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
NotHughGrant wrote:
Re: Equilibrium


Whether it's juvenile or not is a point for debate, but it is a pretty poor movie.

It's shallow, poorly scripted, boring and resorts to martial arts overdrive to fill in the blanks. Remember, Bale was critical poison about the time this was released. It was Batman Begins that saved his career.

In fact, I think I get where Kunzo is coming from. It is juvenile in he sense that it doesn't trust the audience with its true premise. You've got a totalitarian dystopian future right, but the details are scarce to say the least because it's a blockbuster movie and you can't alienate the largely witless movie crowd.

It strikes me as a very compromised project. Just a poor effort, with Bale doing his best Keanu Reeves impression to little avail.

Quote:
Equilibrium is a movie about a totalitarian government that gets defeated by men who use something called (unironically) gun-kata.


Yep. It's actually worse than Reign of Fire. Bale's other bomb of 2002.

Bale certainly wasn't "poison", his career was doing quite well with his turn in the Machinist.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1025
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ewwwwww' is a pretty charitable way to describe a film as daft as Equilibrium.

Nonetheless the vast majority of people don't agree. Neither does Roger Ebert. YOU didn't like it. That's all you can say with ANY authority.


Attachments:
Equilibrium_IMDB.JPG
Equilibrium_IMDB.JPG [ 44.21 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
You forgot American Psycho, which was poorly received at the time (although I think Bale was good in it)

The Machinist was an indie film that only gained true exposure after Batman anyway.

Even Bale admits himself that the odds were stacking against him having another big role again before Batman Begins. He said that the best thing about getting Batman Begins was that he could pay for his house.

I believe his recollection of industry producers as being something like

Quote:
Oh no, not Christian Bale!


A pretty serious position for a 30 year old actor to be in. He did well to get out of it.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:56 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Re: Equilibrium


Whether it's juvenile or not is a point for debate, but it is a pretty poor movie.

It's shallow, poorly scripted, boring and resorts to martial arts overdrive to fill in the blanks. Remember, Bale was critical poison about the time this was released. It was Batman Begins that saved his career.

In fact, I think I get where Kunzo is coming from. It is juvenile in he sense that it doesn't trust the audience with its true premise. You've got a totalitarian dystopian future right, but the details are scarce to say the least because it's a blockbuster movie and you can't alienate the largely witless movie crowd.

It strikes me as a very compromised project. Just a poor effort, with Bale doing his best Keanu Reeves impression to little avail.

Quote:
Equilibrium is a movie about a totalitarian government that gets defeated by men who use something called (unironically) gun-kata.


Yep. It's actually worse than Reign of Fire. Bale's other bomb of 2002.

Bale certainly wasn't "poison", his career was doing quite well with his turn in the Machinist.



Are you kidding me?

The Machinist was made only 12 months before Batman and it only became something of a cult film AFTER Batman.

The idea that The Machinist made his career is just silly.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ewwwwww' is a pretty charitable way to describe a film as daft as Equilibrium.

Nonetheless the vast majority of people don't agree. Neither does Roger Ebert. YOU didn't like it. That's all you can say with ANY authority.


People voted for Hitler and commissioned The X-Factor, pal.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:58 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
ilovemovies wrote:
Bale was critical poison before Batman Begins? He did The Machinist which got good reviews and he was excellent in it.

Laural Canyon also has a fresh rating of 68% at rottentomatoes.

Yes, he did have a 1-2-3 punch of Captain Corelli's Mandolin/Equilibrium/Reign of Fire all of which have a rotten score on rotten tomatoes. But it wasn't Batman Begins that ended it. Batman Begins did make him a super star though.


I don't know how old you are, but I remember it vividly. Bale's career was on a fast track to oblivion. Something he's admitted himself.

The Machinist became cult-ish AFTER Batman

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1025
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
NotHughGrant wrote:
nitrium wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Ewwwwww' is a pretty charitable way to describe a film as daft as Equilibrium.

Nonetheless the vast majority of people don't agree. Neither does Roger Ebert. YOU didn't like it. That's all you can say with ANY authority.


People voted for Hitler and commissioned The X-Factor, pal.

Wow, Godwin's Law already rears its head. Is that some sort of record?


Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I know, I don't mess about ;)

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
IMDB is really useful for information, but I don't know why I would take any voting there as evidence of anything. Big movies, especially male-oriented, open immediately to skyrocket score, while conversely if people deem the hate for any actor/movie concept to be popular, the score will skirt low. Too many preconceived notions of outsides factors for the score to be read into or brought up seriously.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:17 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Breathless (1960)

There is something exhilarating in watching films that are often praised as "one of the firsts." Be it the initial explosion of color in The Wizard of Oz or Sam Neill and Laura Dern gasping at the first sight of dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, the feeling of wonder in leading the norm of things to come is hugely infectious. Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless is a bit trickier, since its "first" is more internalized. But once you drift into its wavelength of jump cuts, jazzy score, and self-awareness, it doesn't take much to get transported into its world. The story of a cocky criminal on the run also matches how Godard tinkered rebelliously with the nature of filmmaking itself.

If anything, when it moves from the kinetic outsides world into an apartment for an extended period of ramblings, it loses the momentum quick. Suddenly being confined to a room makes this story feel self-indulgent instead of giddy; the dialogue and characters no longer synch with Godard's direction and start to appear more normal and pretentious. Still, the mild tedium probably gives the final stretch of the film quite an extra charge. I hope though that the confined talk-a-thon is not a sign of things to come when going forward with his filmography. Quite a debut that mostly lives up to the high status. 8.5/10


Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1429
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Oh and that Great Movie thread, which evolves from the film's wub into discussion of anal sex, surely ranks among the forum's finest moments. :lol:


Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:23 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7480
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Nitrium: what IMDB users say is of very little relevance to me, and it should be to you too. Movies are a milieu in which people like us (here comes the elitism, Thief!) are beyond the common movie watcher. It's not condescending, it's true: we know more about what makes a good movie. There's a weird belief in America that because "everyone is equal," their opinions are equally valid. Why should that be the case? I happen to know an incredible amount about film, travel, baseball, (American) government, geography, and select areas of history. I know far, far less about theater, football (either one), physics, geology, and the other areas of history. My opinion about matters of the latter SHOULD be worth less to you than any of the former subjects. Scratch what I said earlier. That's not elitism. That's just logical.

And so that brings us to Equilibrium. You presumably checked the Rottentomatoes score but didn't bring it up because it's a fairly anemic 37%/35% top critics (Equilibrium is a reheated mishmash of other sci-fi movies.) Metacritic has the film at 33%. These are the voices of people who know film...and they really don't like the movie much.

Now, none of this matters if you like the movie. Keep on liking it. But don't act like I'm committing heresy or saying something really beyond the pale when I say that Equilibrium isn't a particularly good film

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:06 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1025
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
And so that brings us to Equilibrium. You presumably checked the Rottentomatoes score but didn't bring it up because it's a fairly anemic 37%/35% top critics (Equilibrium is a reheated mishmash of other sci-fi movies.) Metacritic has the film at 33%. These are the voices of people who know film...and they really don't like the movie much.

Except... Roger Ebert. Maybe, just maybe, he and I saw something in it you and many critics didn't? 3 stars is the about the right rating imo - and incidentally it seems most of the Reelviewers don't seem on aboard with your views either. In any case, I humbly suggest you avoid Snowpiercer for the same reason you wished you'd avoided Equilibrium. If nothing else, I just saved you money.


Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7480
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
And so that brings us to Equilibrium. You presumably checked the Rottentomatoes score but didn't bring it up because it's a fairly anemic 37%/35% top critics (Equilibrium is a reheated mishmash of other sci-fi movies.) Metacritic has the film at 33%. These are the voices of people who know film...and they really don't like the movie much.

Except... Roger Ebert. Maybe, just maybe, he and I saw something in it you and many critics didn't? 3 stars is the about the right rating imo - and incidentally it seems most of the Reelviewers don't seem on aboard with your views either. In any case, I humbly suggest you avoid Snowpiercer for the same reason you wished you'd avoided Equilibrium. If nothing else, I just saved you money.


Ebert gave it a 3 star rating (the lowest positive rating) and threw the following in there:

...it doesn't do a lot of deep thinking

...has a plot borrowed from 1984, Brave New World and other dystopian novels

[Action scenes] seem to have been assembled for victims of Attention Deficit Syndrome

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2116
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. Turned out I hadn't seen it after all. Great stop-motion effects, my favorite being the cyclops/dragon battle near the end. Acting and dialog not so much, although I did like the resourcefulness of the miniature princess. As far as villains go, I prefer the more complex one in Golden Voyage.

It's worth noting that here we have two-headed rocs and one-headed giants, while in Popeye the Sailor vs. Sindbad the Sailor, it's the other way around. Also that the roc is not that deadly unless you kill its baby.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785, 786 ... 819  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr