Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785 ... 829  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I watched "Free Fall", a German drama film from last year. It's about a cop-in-training named Marc (Hanno Koffler) who, at the start of the film, generally appears to have a good life: He has a nice house with his girlfriend Bettina (Katharina Schuttler), who is about to have their first child. However, Marc suddenly strikes up a relationship with another trainee named Kay (Max Riemelt). The film then proceeds to detail Marc's life falling apart of the affair, along with his own internal conflict over what direction he will take his life next.

It's an interesting film. It's been dubbed the German Brokeback Mountain, but this is more of an examination of morals than about addressing societal attitudes towards gay rights (although it is touched upon). The acting from the two leads is solid (Koffler especially), and the script is effective, but it never really breaks a whole lot of new ground. If the performances weren't as good as they were, it wouldn't be particularly memorable at all. Still, it's worth checking out, and does inspire a good amount of thinking afterwards, especially regarding its ambiguous ending.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Snowpiercer

This is the movie Elysium should have been. Where Elysium started with a strong concept and devolved into mindless action, this film puts the action up front, and then gets philosophical. The idea is fantastic; due to a failed attempt to halt global warming, the planet is a wasteland. Humanity's survivors live on a train that circles the globe, with the wealthy few living in luxury at the front and the poor masses crammed into one car at the rear.

Then the masses revolt. Snowpiercer is an allegorical look at America, and a damned fine sci-fi film as well. It's not perfect; a little more exposition would have been nice. However, it is one of the better films I've seen this year.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 pm
Assistant Director

The Man from Laramie (1955)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048342/
Classic Western, again matching Anthony Mann with James Stewart about a man from Laramie (Stewart) delivering supplies to a general store in Coronado, who soon finds himself tangled up in the dealings of two corrupt workers (one of which is the son) of a mega land baron deep in Apache territory. Stewart's and his co-stars performances are mostly fine, and the film is clearly crafted by capable hands with Anthony Mann at the helm. The screenplay, however, is a bit Lucasique in it's writing - particularly when Stewart is interacting with his would-be love interest Barbara (Cathy O'Donnell), for example:

"Something bothering you mister Lockhart?"
"Yes, a lot of things."
"Can I help you?"
"Well you have. Just standing here looking at you makes me feel easier."
"You're a bachelor aren't you mister Lockhart?"
"How'd you know that?"
"Only a lonely man could find pleasure from watching a woman unpack bolts of cotten."
"Well it's not so much what you're doing, just you're mighty nice to look at."
"I'm not even pretty."
"Oh, well I suppose I've seen prettier girls in dance halls, but you're more sort of beautiful I'd say."
"Well that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. And a stranger to come all the way from Laramie to say it."

Ok, ok, maybe not as bad Lucas, but still somewhat bit cringe inducing cheese (as is apparently typical for old Westerns).

7/10.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Snowpiercer

This is the movie Elysium should have been. Where Elysium started with a strong concept and devolved into mindless action, this film puts the action up front, and then gets philosophical. The idea is fantastic; due to a failed attempt to halt global warming, the planet is a wasteland. Humanity's survivors live on a train that circles the globe, with the wealthy few living in luxury at the front and the poor masses crammed into one car at the rear.

Then the masses revolt. Snowpiercer is an allegorical look at America, and a damned fine sci-fi film as well. It's not perfect; a little more exposition would have been nice. However, it is one of the better films I've seen this year.

If it's an allegorical look at America, then it's a pretty poor one. Or it's an allegorical look at an America that, in fact, does not exist or is (if that is the intention) otherwise misunderstood by the film's writer/director.

http://thekoreanforeigner.blogspot.com/ ... ercer.html

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:22 am
Assistant Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
If it's an allegorical look at America, then it's a pretty poor one. Or it's an allegorical look at an America that, in fact, does not exist or is (if that is the intention) otherwise misunderstood by the film's writer/director.

I saw Snowpiercer back in April, and described it as "batshit crazy". I didn't think it was trying to be an allegory for anything personally - it is based on a French graphic novel Le Transperceneige from 1982 (it seems incredible that the lengthy article linked above doesn't actually mention this). To me it's simply an imaginative, futuristic dystopian film (somewhat similar in style and substance as 2002's Equilibrium, also a very good film) - and is definitely one of the better movies I have seen this year.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:19 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

I saw Snowpiercer back in April, and described it as "batshit crazy". I didn't think it was trying to be an allegory for anything personally - it is based on a French graphic novel Le Transperceneige from 1982 (it seems incredible that the lengthy article linked above doesn't actually mention this). To me it's simply an imaginative, futuristic dystopian film (somewhat similar in style and substance as 2002's Equilibrium, also a very good film) - and is definitely one of the better movies I have seen this year.

Ewwwww you just called Equilibrium a "very good film." That's one of the most juvenile movies I've ever seen

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:12 am
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Ewwwww you just called Equilibrium a "very good film." That's one of the most juvenile movies I've ever seen

I really enjoyed Equlilibrium, how on earth is that movie "juvenile"? :? I don't see that at all.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:16 pm
Second Unit Director

I enjoyed Equilibrium a lot but was taken out of the experience quite a bit by the obvious use of stunt men. It's tied with Face/Off for the worst use of stunt men I've ever seen. I really like Face/Off too though, up until the boat chase.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:36 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I really enjoyed Equlilibrium, how on earth is that movie "juvenile"? :? I don't see that at all.

Me neither. IMO it's a lot like The Matrix. Nothing wrong with Equilibrium.
The IMDB voting record (based on 216,000 votes) actually kinda proves Mr. Kunz's assertion that it's juvenile wrong - showing a remarkably consistent average (and high) score across all age groups.

Attachments:
Equilibrium_IMDB.JPG
Equilibrium_IMDB.JPG [ 57.21 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]
Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:36 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:

The IMDB voting record (based on 216,000 votes) actually kinda proves Mr. Kunz's assertion that it's juvenile wrong - showing a remarkably consistent average (and high) score across all age groups.

*Incredulous* That...proves my assertion wrong? Are you kidding me? I mean, you can like the movie all you want. But IMDB users liking it is "proof" of any kind whatsoever? I expect a little more from you Nitrium. I mean, I bet you every single demographic gives Happy Gilmore at least a 6.0 and I think even the movie's supporters would agree that it's juvenile.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:16 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
*Incredulous* That...proves my assertion wrong? Are you kidding me? I mean, you can like the movie all you want. But IMDB users liking it is "proof" of any kind whatsoever? I expect a little more from you Nitrium. I mean, I bet you every single demographic gives Happy Gilmore at least a 6.0 and I think even the movie's supporters would agree that it's juvenile.

I sorta knew you would say something like that after I hit Submit. But my point stands, "juvenile" is simply not a great word to describe Equlibrium as a whole. Do you find The Matrix "juvenile" too? Iron Man? Nolan's Batman films? Are you too high brow for dumb fun? I just don't get your angle here. "Juvenile" implies that the film primarily appeals to those of a younger age, or perhaps those are mentally immature - certainly you explicitly used it in a condescending and negative manner, with your "Ewwwww you just called Equilibrium a "very good film."" coming right before it. Personally, I still don't see exactly what was so "juvenile" about Equilibrium more than literally any other action film.
with this: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/equilibrium-2002 I rest my case.
Perhaps you could enlighten me on your alternative viewpoint?

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:43 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I sorta knew you would say something like that after I hit Submit. But my point stands, "juvenile" is simply not a great word to describe Equlibrium as a whole. Do you find The Matrix "juvenile" too? Iron Man? Nolan's Batman films? Are you too high brow for dumb fun? I just don't get your angle here. "Juvenile" implies that the film primarily appeals to those of a younger age, or perhaps those are mentally immature - certainly you explicitly used it in a condescending and negative manner, with your "Ewwwww you just called Equilibrium a "very good film."" coming right before it. Personally, I still don't see exactly what was so "juvenile" about Equilibrium more than literally any other action film. so
with this: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/equilibrium-2002 I rest my case.
Perhaps you could enlighten me on your alternative viewpoint?

Equilibrium is a movie about a totalitarian government that gets defeated by men who use something called (unironically) gun-kata. It's an incredibly simplistic, childish approach to an adult topic that imagines that you can take down a terrible government with some sweetass gunplay.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:04 pm
Assistant Director

Still, your "ewwww, you called Equilibrium a good film" comment comes off as extremely elitist and condescending. Sometimes you need to accept that everybody has different tastes and not everybody likes the same films.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I thought Equilibrium was pretty cool. The final action sequence with Christian Bale gun fighting and sword fighting all the bad guys, it's such a badass, kick ass action sequence. It's one of those scenes I watch over and over again.

And if you thought Equilibrium was bad, I shudder at what you might have thought about Ultraviolet. Now THAT movie sucks. I mean, it's nearly the same movie as Equilibrium (it even has William Fichtner playing basically the same part in both movies!) only bad. REALLY, REALLY bad. It's inept in every way. I'm shocked and stunned that it comes from the same director as Equilibrium.

It's funny, because when I first saw the trailer for the upcoming movie The Giver, I thought it looked very similar to Equilibrium only for a YA audience.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:20 pm
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
Still, your "ewwww, you called Equilibrium a good film" comment comes off as extremely elitist and condescending. Sometimes you need to accept that everybody has different tastes and not everybody likes the same films.

Oh come on! I said "ewwwww," which is a silly word. No one who's being "elitist" would use the word "ewwwww".

Of course I accept that everybody has different tastes. The world would be boring if we didn;t.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:43 pm
Assistant Director

The Purge: Anarchy: I thought I would hate this film after the stinker that was the first film. I saw it because the trailer looked cool and I need more movies for my Bottom 10 list this year. But this movie kicked ass! With the setting opened up, it was everything the previous entry should have been: intense, scary, thoughtful (such as it is), well-paced, funny and action packed. 3.5/4

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: I missed the first minute or two, so I haven't been able to write a review yet (yes, I'm still writing them). But it was a vast improvement on the initial entry because it took time to develop the POVs of both sides. We understood the motivations of the humans, Caesar and Koba. Still, this is a formula that doesn't lend itself to going halfway. It needs the epic feel of something like "Avatar" to really work. But I really enjoyed this one. 3.5/4

Sex Tape: What is it with movies belaboring their jokes. I agree that improv can lend itself well to a film if done right (Robin Williams, for example), but it's tedious when it's done poorly (Will Ferrell) or drawn out (Seth Rogen). Either from scripting or improvising, the comic set pieces last far too long (the highlight, which has Segel running from a German Shepard, which brings to mind "There's Something About Mary," a much better movie) and quickly lose their luster. Still, it's more clever and funnier than "Neighbors," and Segel and Diaz rekindle their chemistry that they had in "Bad Teacher," also directed by Jake Kasdan. 2/4

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Director

Journey to the West

Maybe my favorite film of the year so far. Stephen Chow's insanity knows no bounds. If Kung Fu Hustle is Crank, this is Crank 2. Journey follows a similar premise and structure, adds a healthy dose of LSD. If you haven't seen Hustle, you might find this film unintelligible even with subtitles, which is the same way the Crank duology works. It makes you think about a different kind of potential for sequels in general. This isn't a literal sequel to Hustle, of course, but it is spiritually. It's designed to stretch the muscles of your cinematic eye and mind, and does so often in quite alarming ways. It may seem strictly silly most of the time, but it's built on a very elaborate structuralism that I plan on studying further. Quite a movie.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:08 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I thought Equilibrium was pretty cool. The final action sequence with Christian Bale gun fighting and sword fighting all the bad guys, it's such a badass, kick ass action sequence. It's one of those scenes I watch over and over again.

And if you thought Equilibrium was bad, I shudder at what you might have thought about Ultraviolet. Now THAT movie sucks. I mean, it's nearly the same movie as Equilibrium (it even has William Fichtner playing basically the same part in both movies!) only bad. REALLY, REALLY bad. It's inept in every way. I'm shocked and stunned that it comes from the same director as Equilibrium.

It's funny, because when I first saw the trailer for the upcoming movie The Giver, I thought it looked very similar to Equilibrium only for a YA audience.

I personally enjoyed Ultraviolet myself and didn't think it was "inept" at all, though I did hear that the film suffered badly from executive meddling and there were a lot of scenes that didn't make it to the final cut, so that may be why most people didn't like it.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:25 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Oh come on! I said "ewwwww," which is a silly word. No one who's being "elitist" would use the word "ewwwww".

Of course I accept that everybody has different tastes. The world would be boring if we didn;t.

A silly elitist then? :D

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714915/
Jim Jarmusch both writes and directs this slow moving drama set in Detroit (and a bit in Tangiers) about the on/off romance between two vampires Adam and Eve (Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton). The vampire angle is really just a device to explore how a relationship might unfold over centuries. These two know each other so well, that they seem somewhat bored by one another. Indeed they seem pretty much bored with everything (except perhaps each other after being apart for some unspecified time) - as one might expect when you've literally seen it all. Think of what a Linklator Before movie might be like after 400 years. The arrival of the Eve's out of control vampire sister Ada (Mia Wasikowska) temporarily shakes up their mundane lives, but even this doesn't do much to ignite the pulse (little pun there). The great John Hurt also has a small role as an ancient vampire. While I appreciate what Jarmusch tries to do with Only Lovers Left Alive, I found the pacing too slow to consistently hold my interest. It's similar in many ways in style to another film starting with "Only" in the title: Only God Forgives - the visuals, atmosphere and performances are very well done, but Only Lovers Left Alive has considerably less plot.
6.5/10.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 779, 780, 781, 782, 783, 784, 785 ... 829  Next