Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783 ... 843  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Oblivion (2013) - **1/2 out of *****

This film had the potential to be truly great given the themes it was exploring with regards to environmental issues affecting humanity in a huge and artificially-invoked manner, existence, memory, and definition of self. Unfortunately, the damn plot had to get in the way- it was like getting rudely doused with freezing water in the middle of enjoying a soothing hot bath repeatedly. The visual effects were top-notch and allowed me to fully immerse myself in the post-apocalyptic world that Jack has to work in. The character of Jack narrated the story with a nice understated approach by Tom Cruise who is generally at his best when using this method similar to his turn in Collateral, IMO. The work by Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko did well with regards to supporting Cruise's role in the film. If only that damn plot hadn't come in and mucked it up- I still liked this film, but not nearly as much as I would have had the plot been changed drastically.

To me, this film felt so stale, with such a mediocre execution that I just couldn't like it. Everything in it felt like a rehash of another sci-fi film.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Oblivion (2013) - **1/2 out of *****

This film had the potential to be truly great given the themes it was exploring with regards to environmental issues affecting humanity in a huge and artificially-invoked manner, existence, memory, and definition of self. Unfortunately, the damn plot had to get in the way- it was like getting rudely doused with freezing water in the middle of enjoying a soothing hot bath repeatedly. The visual effects were top-notch and allowed me to fully immerse myself in the post-apocalyptic world that Jack has to work in. The character of Jack narrated the story with a nice understated approach by Tom Cruise who is generally at his best when using this method similar to his turn in Collateral, IMO. The work by Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko did well with regards to supporting Cruise's role in the film. If only that damn plot hadn't come in and mucked it up- I still liked this film, but not nearly as much as I would have had the plot been changed drastically.

To me, this film felt so stale, with such a mediocre execution that I just couldn't like it. Everything in it felt like a rehash of another sci-fi film.

I'm with you. While I firmly believe that tropes and even plotlines can be redone in way that makes them fresh, this movie was like "Count the inspirations!"

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:32 pm
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
A Man Escaped is the true story of a resistance leader who escaped from a the very secure Montluc prison in 1943. It's based on the memoir by André Devigny, although the character in the movie is named Fontaine. The movie begins with our hero on his way to prison, takes us to the escape, and is sharply focused on Fontaine's determination to escape using the few tools available, patiently manufacturing most of them by hand. Unearthly patiently, considering prisoners are being executed and he will likely be one of them.

Filmed using a severely minimalist approach by Robert Bresson using non-actors, and this time that approach really worked for me. It comes off as a prison break procedural in the sense other movies are police procedurals. It would seem you wouldn't have that much character development, but it's surprising how much you learn about the man from his determination and resourcefulness. I found the whole thing thoroughly absorbing.

This is minimalism done absolutely right. We know exactly what we need to. We see exactly what we need to. I really loved this one.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:33 pm
Director

Paris Was a Woman takes place before Ms./Mr. Hilton's sex-change operation.

This is the story of the female side of the Left Bank art scene prior to World War II, particularly the lesbian side. This naturally contains a lot of footage of Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas, Janet Flanner (bisexual and a New Yorker correspondent for 40 years), Colette (who was apparently bisexual and used to be one of my cats), Djuna Barnes, the norious Natalie Barney, and bookstore owners/lovers Adrienne Monnier and Sylvia Beach.

Monnier introduced the lending library concept to Paris. Her store catered more to the French, while Beach catered to the English and American expatriates. Their stores were on opposite sides of the same street. Beach published James Joyce's Ulysses when it still couldn't be published in English speaking countries, and was screwed when Joyce signed on with another publisher. (We only get Beach's side of this; Joyce does seem to have been a jerk, but he was going to have a hard time reaching a mass audience through Beach's Shakespeare and Company. Beach was pretty much bankrupted by this episode.)

Since this is a lesbian-oriented documentary, you don't get much of the male side of the art scene. (You don't get Anais Nin, either, although she was in Paris a lot of this time.) I liked a lot of it, including the interviews with Sylvia Beach. I think I would have liked her and Monnier. Lots of very good footage of Paris before World War II; it made me hunger to go there if I could find a time machine or star in a Woody Allen movie. (7 of 10)

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:16 pm
Assistant Director

Rewatched one of my favorite horror films last night, Night of the Living Dead, and I enjoyed it as much as ever. Still creepy and tension-filled despite knowing the outcome. Some spotty performances, but still effective. I love it. Grade: A

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
Rewatched one of my favorite horror films last night, Night of the Living Dead, and I enjoyed it as much as ever. Still creepy and tension-filled despite knowing the outcome. Some spotty performances, but still effective. I love it. Grade: A

Question:

Night, Dawn, or Day?

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:55 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Question:

Night, Dawn, or Day?

If you're asking favorite, I lean more towards Night, but Dawn is very, very close, and probably an A as well. Day is pretty good too, but not on the same level. Probably a solid B. I haven't seen the others, although I've read that Land is decent.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Dawn.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:41 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Question:

Night, Dawn, or Day?

Dawn hands down. It dukes it out with Halloween for top of my 10 Best Horror Films list. I love the satire in it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Borgman (2013)

This is a Dutch film which seems like a mash of Down and Out in Beverly Hills,Funny Games and American Horror Story. The movie starts out promising with a group of what looks like modern demon hunters led by a priest who still says Latin Mass hunting down the homeless Borgman in his underground liar in the forest. Borgman escapes and comes across a upper middle class 1 percenter's house and slyly begins to insinuate himself into the household and family. With that decent setup the movie then becomes so opaque and impenetrable that is pushes over into that special kind of artsy fartsy tediousness with a bunch of unpleasant Funny Games style sadism. Is Borgman a demon,sorcerer,evil spirit or vengeful con man? The movie won't say and the director is playing that con game where I don't supply the subtext the audience has to come up with one. This movie will probably play better for people who find that approach to be brilliant and daring and who really buy into the Euro directors habit of being virulently anti Western and anti middle class.

Last edited by oakenshield32 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:39 pm
Critic

Thief12 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Question:

Night, Dawn, or Day?

If you're asking favorite, I lean more towards Night, but Dawn is very, very close, and probably an A as well. Day is pretty good too, but not on the same level. Probably a solid B. I haven't seen the others, although I've read that Land is decent.

Yeah Day's a little behind the other two. I'd go Dawn.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:21 pm
Producer

Face/Off

Finally watched this for the first time since Vexer always champions it. It's a really cool script, and the performances are what makes it a riveting entertainment. Both actors get to parody each other and themselves, and it's great to watch. Despite being a bit too long, the pacing never lags except for the beginning. The expository scenes actually struck me as sillier than the rest of the movie. The contrivance the screenwriter uses to set up the central conceit of the movie is, uh...well it could have been done better. I mean this is essentially Freaky Friday. They switch bodies, not faces; plain and simple. But it's the one major flaw of the film that has to be completely ignored in order to accept anything that happens on any level. The first act made me cringe several times at the screenwriting, but from the first meeting they have with their new faces, I was hooked.

The one thing that didn't impress so much is the action itself. It's fine, but tends to be pretty egregious. The story is far more fun than the action, in this case. John Woo gets a lot of credit, but I wonder if he really deserves it. This is an actor's and a screenwriter's movie. The director's job is primarily to not screw up a cool concept. Typical of 90s thrillers, I think the budget was a little too high on this. I kind of want to see a smaller, more intimate, darker-toned version of this story. But overall this is still a lot of fun.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:45 am
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Face/Off

Finally watched this for the first time since Vexer always champions it. It's a really cool script, and the performances are what makes it a riveting entertainment. Both actors get to parody each other and themselves, and it's great to watch. Despite being a bit too long, the pacing never lags except for the beginning. The expository scenes actually struck me as sillier than the rest of the movie. The contrivance the screenwriter uses to set up the central conceit of the movie is, uh...well it could have been done better. I mean this is essentially Freaky Friday. They switch bodies, not faces; plain and simple. But it's the one major flaw of the film that has to be completely ignored in order to accept anything that happens on any level. The first act made me cringe several times at the screenwriting, but from the first meeting they have with their new faces, I was hooked.

The one thing that didn't impress so much is the action itself. It's fine, but tends to be pretty egregious. The story is far more fun than the action, in this case. John Woo gets a lot of credit, but I wonder if he really deserves it. This is an actor's and a screenwriter's movie. The director's job is primarily to not screw up a cool concept. Typical of 90s thrillers, I think the budget was a little too high on this. I kind of want to see a smaller, more intimate, darker-toned version of this story. But overall this is still a lot of fun.

Face/Off is a cool film, and it used to be one of my favorite films. Despite being perhaps a tad overlong, it works because they sell the otherwise implausible premise well, action scenes are neatly choreographed, and Travolta and Cage both chew into their roles well enough. However, it should've ended at the chapel. The boat chase at the end felt like too much.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Snowpiercer (2013 - Unedited cut)

South Korean writer/director Joon-Ho Bong brings a post-apocalyptic vision to the screen. In a bid to stem the advance of onslaught of global warming, scientists release an artificial cooling agent into the atmosphere that does the job of reversing the effects of the temperature rise. It does the job so well, in fact, that the Earth is plunged into a global ice age killing off all of mankind. All of mankind except those aboard a sort of "ark locomotive train" that is 1.5km long and has spent that last 17 years circumnavigating the globe non-stop on a circuitous track. The train is divided by guarded gates into 3 sections; the 1st class passengers, the coach class passengers, and the "free-loaders" who are allowed to exist in the rear of the train.

Revolutions emanating out of the 3rd class passengers have come and gone over the squalid living conditions they are forced to endure (no windows, cramped quarters, the only food being non-descript "protein gel bars" that are passed down daily from the front cars). The rabble are primed for another revolution this time being led by Curtis (Captain America's Chris Evans), a reluctant leader who's first mission is to break out of the security car Kang-ho Song (Namgoong Minsoo) who designed all of the security door locks between the rear of the train to the front of the train.

The train is run by the enigmatic Wilford, who built the locomotive and its cars and resides at the very front, cut off from all of the passengers. He has surrogates and henchmen who speak for him and strong-arm the passengers as needed. Chief amongst his lackeys is Mason (Tilda Swinton), an administrator who is equal parts bumbling idiot and ruthless punisher; a dangerous combination.

Snowpiercer is an allegorical action picture with a lot of heart at the center of its bizarre premise. There is a mix of grim humor, extreme violence and social commentary that keep things interesting and help distract from the oddball "bigger picture". 3.0 / 4.0

Mud (2012)

Best friends Ellis and Neckbone (Tye Sheridan; Jacob Lofland) live on the Mississippi River in the deep south. They discover a small cabin cruiser boat that has been deposited 20 feet up in a tree in the center of an isolated island in middle of the river from a previous flood. They decide they will lay claim to this boat until they find that it is currently being occupied by Mud (Matthew McConaughey), a man on the lam who makes a deal with the boys to help him rehab the boat and to also act as go-between with Juniper (Reese Witherspoon), a lost love he hopes to rejoin and escape from trouble with. Juniper is currently holed up in a motel back in town near where the boys live and Mud can't leave the island to get to her.

14-year old Ellis is the main protagonist of the film, and his relationships with Mud and Neckbone are juggled along with those of a deteriorating home situation as well as a budding romance with May Pearl (Bonnie Sturdivant), a girl a few years older than Ellis who may, or may not, have similar feelings for him. Mud is a film about relationships. Ellis would like it to be about how true love is eternal and will always win the day, but what the film is really about is the relationships that develop between friends. It's not about how family sticks together, or lovers, but how buddies are the ones that, likely as not, will be the ones there for you at the end of the day. 3.5 / 4.0

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 am
Producer

Thief12 wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Face/Off

Face/Off is a cool film, and it used to be one of my favorite films. Despite being perhaps a tad overlong, it works because they sell the otherwise implausible premise well, action scenes are neatly choreographed, and Travolta and Cage both chew into their roles well enough. However, it should've ended at the chapel. The boat chase at the end felt like too much.

One odd thing about this movie is that it continually reminds us of how completely evil and maniacal the Nic Cage character is. Far too evil to allow for any redeeming qualities at all. Yet this movie throws little moments in there which imply that this character has a soul, buried somewhere in there. He's not entirely comfortable with the fact that he's killed Travolta's son. He rescues Travolta's daughter from rape. He cares about his brother, but that doesn't really count. The strangest part is when a visit to Travolta's son's grave seems to get a little emotion out of him. Apart from these small moments, this subtle thread never pans out. The dude is just evil, plain and simple. Maybe that's the point though.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:52 am
Director

It occurs to me that I have a Jim Jarmusch film coming up in the competition, and I saw my first film of his a month back and forgot to put a review here. And since I'd probably refer to this film a lot in that one's write-up... (Warning: hyperbolic word diarrhea. But it is my 2014 favorite so far after all.)

Only Lovers Left Alive (2014)

After finishing my first film of the long-renowned Jim Jarmusch, I came across a statement early in his career that his goal is "to approximate real time for the audience." I feel that is exactly why he is able to infuse so much life into these tired tropes, and why a vampire love story is unexpectedly my film of the year so far.

Never mind that the director can make us feel intensely in the shoes of these centuries-old undeads; he also captures the sensation of being awake and sleepily blissful just before dawn after a booze-filled night, of time passing away slowly so you can immerse yourself in passion art of choice, and of staying home with your dearly beloved and intimately sharing that passion. The sincerity of the last aspect is why this never threatens to go into hipsterism or pretentiousness (that some has accused this film of) to me. These vampires, and through them the director, really want to share these beautiful things with each other and by turn with us.

There are a lot of similarities between this and my former favorite of this year, Under the Skin. Both films are light on plot details and anything resembling narrative drive or momentum, becoming more of tone poems: terrifying abstraction for the latter, bitchin' hangout mood for the former. And each film has a dramatic intrusion late in the game that almost turns them into conventional genre pic. In the case of this one, the intrusion that is a delightful Mia Wasikowsa, it blends in more seamlessly because it really feels like the extension of such a life. It's also because our main couple treat it with mild annoyance almost like a necessary occupational hazard, wasting their time that might be spent on things more important like music, love, and art. And its consequence leads to those perfect final scenes.

You would think the genius stroke of casting Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton (them terrifically perfect, both in looks and temperament) as vampires and lovers would be enough to sustain any film. But the delicious dry humor, hypnotizing music, and gently swirling visuals propel it to be a great work of elegant melancholy and immortal coolness. 9.5/10

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 am
Director

Obvious Child

This may be the most misunderstood film of the year so far. Labeled an "abortion comedy" by its detractors, this film is hardly a slapsticky take on abortion; rather, it strikes a nice balance between drama and comedic elements in its story, which is about a young woman who gets pregnant after a one-night stand and has to decide what to do. Obvious Child treats the subject with much more maturity than its detractors suggest. Unfortunately, this film hasn't seen a terribly wide release; it says a lot about how our discourse has been poisoned by fringe right-wing elements when a mature film on the subject of abortion can't even be seen by the majority of the population. But I'm getting off track. This is good. Check it out.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 am
Director

Under the Skin (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/
Scarlett Johansson plays a sort of extra-terrestrial serial-killer succubus, in this slow-moving but strangely mesmerising arty drama. The film is based on a novel by Michel Faber that I am not familiar with, but I'm guessing from this adaption must be a strange read. Most of the film simply depicts Johansson driving around in a van, picking up random male strangers by offering them lifts (something no woman would consider if the roles were reversed!), luring them into her house, where she does something to them that is never fully revealed. The photography is often quite stunning, which is just as well because there is almost no dialogue. The closest films I can think of in style (not substance) are Only God Forgives and Upstream Color also both from 2013, particularly the latter. Under the Skin won't be everyone's cup of tea, and I can appreciate how people might find it boring and/or pretentious. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it for what it is.
7/10.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:04 pm
Producer

Planet of the Apes 1968

Eh, not as good as I remember it being. Haven't seen Dawn yet, but I prefer Rise to this original film. The original is a bit talky and plodding. The satirical aspect is a little repetitive. And the apes are little too Dr. Seuss-ish. Still kind of a cool movie, but it doesn't have the raw drive that Wyatt brought to Rise.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:51 am
Producer

Maniac Cop 2

Disappointing sequel that plays like bad fan fiction. Like all bad sequels, it made me realize that the previous installment didn't really need a sequel. William Lustig keeps up a certain competence in the area of cinematography, but even there it's vastly inferior to the first one. But the really terrible part is, naturally, the script. Replacing the intriguing natural intuitiveness of the first film is just one stupid contrivance after another. It gets dumber with every scene, but it's never really that amusing, even unintentionally. Lustig also overthinks the direction this time. He applied some really cool nuances in the first one, but here the direction just makes everything seem more convoluted. Finally, while the first one had fun pushing the envelope, this one is just in poor taste. Deaths are treated as horror/comedy instead of just horror. The best thing about the film, Robert Davi, is wasted and has too little screen time.

I guess sequels to solid standalone slashers are never good, so I shouldn't have expected anything from this. But the first one is really good, and this sequel has some cult hype for some reason (because of Davi I assume).

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:34 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16842 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782, 783 ... 843  Next