Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782 ... 829  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Producer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The Hangover 3

I loved this film!!!! ;)

I'm going to quote you out of context here on the DVD cover :D

:D

Reminds me of the way Batman 89 used Ebert's "a triumph" but left out " ... of style over substance".

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:17 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The Hangover 3

I loved this film!!!! ;)

I'm going to quote you out of context here on the DVD cover :D

:D

Reminds me of the way Batman 89 used Ebert's "a triumph" but left out " ... of style over substance".

I remember the ads also quoted Ebert saying about Little Nickey "Adam Sandler's best film yet" never mind the fact that he still gave it a thumbs down. :lol:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:15 pm
Producer

Damned with faint praise :lol:

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:38 am
Second Unit Director

nitrium wrote:
The Naked Spur (1953)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044953/
Anthony Mann directs screen legends James Stewart and Janet Leigh in a Western about a man who, after successfully tracking down his prize, finds he has to share his bounty with two others who also want a slice of the $5,000 payout. On their journey to Kansas to collect the bounty, the criminal skillfully manipulates the three in an attempt to sabotage their plans that will surely result in his hanging. Leigh as the love interest of both the criminal and later Stewart complicates things further.
While I'm a huge fan of Westerns generally, I found The Naked Spur a fairly middling film, with no standout or defining moments that might differentiate it from the many other films in this genre. The acting and dialogue, particularly from Leigh, comes across as typically (i.e. for the era) melodramatic and hammy by today's standards. Not terrible by any means, but imo not a classic US Western.
6/10.

Hm, I think that there are quite a lot of things in this movie to distinguish it from contemporary Westerns. There is more psychological depth to the characters than in nearly all other Westerns, even much later ones. The scene in whch the former soldier kills a group Indians is also played much differently than in other Westerns of the 1950ies, because it shows it as a murderous act by a psychopath.

Anyway, in between watching a lot of exciting World Cup football, I managed to cram in some movies, which didn't have significantly more appeal as the drab 0 - 0 draw between Nigeria and Iran:

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (2006)
I wasn’t aware that movie comedian Jack Black started his career as the singer/rhythm guitar player of comedy rock band (well, duo) Tenacious D. In this movie, Black and portly lead guitarist Kyle Gass play versions of themselves, who form Tenacious D to achieve stardom and glory. When success eludes them, they discover that the greatest rock guitarists have all played with the same plectrum. This eponymous “pick of destiny” was made from the devil’s teeth, is said to make its bearer a guitar god and is stored in a high security museum for rock music. So Tenacious D go on a road trip to the museum and try to burgle it.
Whether you’ll like this movie or not will depend on your tolerance for Jack Black’s antics. Personally, I think that a little of Black goes a long way. Whenever he’s the protagonist of a movie, he gets on my nerves after a while. This also applies to Tenacious D, who are not my type of music, but actually very decent musicians. I like how they shred hard rock riffs on their acoustic guitars. The problem is that the concept of ‘Tenacious D ...’ shlubby stoners who want to be great rock stars is wearing thin after a while. It’s a one joke movie and you can’t laugh at the same gag for 90 minutes. The film fails to develop anything resembling a narrative and the road movie/heist plot is less sophisticated than that of ‘Hey Dude, where’s my car’, which ‘Tenacious D...’ resembles insofar as both are stoner movies/buddy comedies. Overall, I thought that some gags worked very well whereas others fell flat on their face. Mediocre: 5/10

I, Frankenstein (2014)
Based on a graphic novel, ‘I, Frankenstein’ (which should really be named ‘I, Frankenstein’s creature’) uses the gothic horror novel only as its starting point. Within three minutes, the basic plot of Mary Shelley’s story has been told in flashback and voiceover and the monster (Aaron Eckart) stands on top of its creator’s grave. Suddenly, a bunch of demons arrive and start to fight with the monster, only to be driven off by gargoyles. The gargoyles (who shapeshift into humans) take the creature in and explain that they do god’s work fighting off demons. The creature/“Adam”/not-really-Frankenstein-but-let’s-call-it-that-anyway is caught right in the middle of this struggle.
The movie has been excoriated by film critics, but I found the concept interesting . Using Frankenstein’s monster as a badass antihero caught in the fight between good and evil is cheesy, but I think it could work, if it was played with a sense of humour. Think Kurt Russell’s Snake Plissken in ‘Escape from New York’, just in a fantasy/gothic horror context. Unfortunately, the movie doesn’t have a shred of humour and takes itself very serious indeed. The queen of the gargoyles (Miranda Otto) and the prince of the demons (Bill Nighy*) debate endlessly of whether Frankenstein’s monster has a soul or not and whether it is evil because it is a creation of man rather than god, but the dialogue only pays lip service to interesting philosophical discussion. The movie isn’t interested at all in delving deeper into the theological implications of its concept. Indeed, there is no religious imagery in the movie: the gargoyles reside in a cathedral-like building, but there are no crucifixes or Christian symbols, only gargoyle symbols. So what is the movie interested in? Showing lengthy all-CGI scenes of gargoyles swooping down on demons who burst into flames upon impact, whic is mostly boring to watch. To sum up: The movie isn’t the debacle it has been made out to be, but it is still a bad movie. 3/10

* I am wondering why Bill Nighy enjoys a considerable reputation as a good actor. With the exception of ‘Still Crazy’, I’ve only seen him playing crappy roles in crappy movies.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:15 am
Second Unit Director

They Came Together (2014)

A comic spoof of romantic comedies starring Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler with more than few SNL alumni onboard. The framing device has Rudd and Poehler telling another couple over dinner how their romantic arc is like a cheesy rom-com which is shown interspersed between the back and forth between the two couples at dinner. You could tell they were going for a wacky Airplane spoof but instead come closer to a series of endlessly lame sketches from a normal SNL episode for 80 minutes. Instead of rapid fire jokes delivered with aplomb by great character actors like Peter Graves,Leslie Nielsen and Lloyd Bridges you get tired obvious gags by disinterested actors who look like they are having an off night at the improv. I am not sure who told Paul Rudd he was a comic actor but he is painfully unfunny in everything I have seen him in. He is a much better dramatic actor in such things as Shape of Things where he was quite good. It is probably not even worth the price of rental as sitting around and talking with your friends about their dating stories is probably more funny and interesting.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:29 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:

A comic spoof of romantic comedies starring Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler with more than few SNL alumni onboard. The framing device has Rudd and Poehler telling another couple over dinner how their romantic arc is like a cheesy rom-com which is shown interspersed between the back and forth between the two couples at dinner. You could tell they were going for a wacky Airplane spoof but instead come closer to a series of endlessly lame sketches from a normal SNL episode for 80 minutes. Instead of rapid fire jokes delivered with aplomb by great character actors like Peter Graves,Leslie Nielsen and Lloyd Bridges you get tired obvious gags by disinterested actors who look like they are having an off night at the improv. I am not sure who told Paul Rudd he was a comic actor but he is painfully unfunny in everything I have seen him in. He is a much better dramatic actor in such things as Shape of Things where he was quite good. It is probably not even worth the price of rental as sitting around and talking with your friends about their dating stories is probably more funny and interesting.

Strongly disagree on Rudd, I think he's a great comedic actor and I thought this film was pretty damn funny.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:04 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:

Strongly disagree on Rudd, I think he's a great comedic actor and I thought this film was pretty damn funny.

I am curious now. I have the standard 6 laugh test for a comedy to work but there was not even 6 amusing moments(which would be a mercy pass). You will have to single out one gag or joke that was actually laugh out loud funny. I can't think of one and I didn't hear one person laugh or snigger for the whole movie. The only sounds I did hear was bums shifting in the seats then sighs of relief when the credits finally came up and the swoosh of people hitting the exits faster than Olympic 100 meter sprinters.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:11 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:

I am curious now. I have the standard 6 laugh test for a comedy to work but there was not even 6 amusing moments(which would be a mercy pass). You will have to single out one gag or joke that was actually laugh out loud funny. I can't think of one and I didn't hear one person laugh or snigger for the whole movie. The only sounds I did hear was bums shifting in the seats then sighs of relief when the credits finally came up and the swoosh of people hitting the exits faster than Olympic 100 meter sprinters.
I would single out the scene where the one guy tries to catch a football and ends up crashing through a window, that was pretty funny.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:19 pm
Assistant Director

Threads (1984)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/
"Depressing", I think with respect to movies, is best defined as an utter sense of hopelessness. In no film that I can conjure to mind is this more evident than in the British made for TV docudrama Threads. The story is about the the events leading up to, and life after, a nuclear bomb (I think just the one) is dropped on Sheffield, England (a total of 210 megatons are dropped on Britain, and 3,000 megatons total worldwide). The film follows a fictional account of a few families', interspersed with some factoids (hence the docudrama label), attempted survival (mostly short lived) after a nuclear war with the USSR - finishing at a point 13 years after. There are no moments of joy (accept of course before the bomb is dropped), and no hope whatsoever for a better life afterwards (the planet goes into a nuclear winter) - even when more than a decade has passed and subsistence living is still the most one can hope for. The scenes of destruction and makeup effects of burnt bodies, radiation burns etc are completely convincing. Acting is mostly solid (there are some cliches), with the director giving a particular emphasis on the fate of pregnant woman Ruth (Karen Meagher), one of the few survivors. If you want a film that will stay with you long after viewing, this will do the job. "Harrowing" springs to mind.
8.5/10.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:49 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Threads (1984)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/
"Depressing", I think with respect to movies, is best defined as an utter sense of hopelessness. In no film that I can conjure to mind is this more evident than in the British made for TV docudrama Threads. The story is about the the events leading up to, and life after, a nuclear bomb (I think just the one) is dropped on Sheffield, England (a total of 210 megatons are dropped on Britain, and 3,000 megatons total worldwide). The film follows a fictional account of a few families', interspersed with some factoids (hence the docudrama label), attempted survival (mostly short lived) after a nuclear war with the USSR - finishing at a point 13 years after. There are no moments of joy (accept of course before the bomb is dropped), and no hope whatsoever for a better life afterwards (the planet goes into a nuclear winter) - even when more than a decade has passed and subsistence living is still the most one can hope for. The scenes of destruction and makeup effects of burnt bodies, radiation burns etc are completely convincing. Acting is mostly solid (there are some cliches), with the director giving a particular emphasis on the fate of pregnant woman Ruth (Karen Meagher), one of the few survivors. If you want a film that will stay with you long after viewing, this will do the job. "Harrowing" springs to mind.
8.5/10.

Oh I loved this one. I mean, yeah, inasmuch as you can love such a film. It makes The Day After look like a Disney movie

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:21 am
Producer

My Dad was a teacher at the time Threads was shown. He said there were kids in his class who were so paranoid after seeing it that they missed days off school because of it.

What does it for me is the modest production value, which gives it a sense of grim realism. Kitchen sink drama at its best. It's amazing how it still stands up now, even with the Cold War over. At the time it must have been insane

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:52 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
="Vexer"

I would single out the scene where the one guy tries to catch a football and ends up crashing through a window, that was pretty funny.

Yeah that is the problem as that is just weak slapstick. There is a web series called Burning Love which makes fun of the Bachelor/Bachelorette reality show that makes better jokes in 8 minutes episodes than this whole movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wJ30nxTOM&list=PLAc-dvdKWUi_9skK9zQVnsT8ERFHj9R2M

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:47 am
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:
="Vexer"

Yeah that is the problem as that is just weak slapstick. There is a web series called Burning Love which makes fun of the Bachelor/Bachelorette reality show that makes better jokes in 8 minutes episodes than this whole movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wJ30nxTOM&list=PLAc-dvdKWUi_9skK9zQVnsT8ERFHj9R2M

I didn't find that web series particularly funny at all.

I don't think it's "weak slapstick" at all, I thought it was funny as hell, different strokes for different folks.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:11 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Oh I loved this one. I mean, yeah, inasmuch as you can love such a film. It makes The Day After look like a Disney movie

You can love it if you have a strong enough psyche to withstand the extreme depression that follows the viewing of this film.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:07 am
Cinematographer

Oblivion (2013) - **1/2 out of *****

This film had the potential to be truly great given the themes it was exploring with regards to environmental issues affecting humanity in a huge and artificially-invoked manner, existence, memory, and definition of self. Unfortunately, the damn plot had to get in the way- it was like getting rudely doused with freezing water in the middle of enjoying a soothing hot bath repeatedly. The visual effects were top-notch and allowed me to fully immerse myself in the post-apocalyptic world that Jack has to work in. The character of Jack narrated the story with a nice understated approach by Tom Cruise who is generally at his best when using this method similar to his turn in Collateral, IMO. The work by Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko did well with regards to supporting Cruise's role in the film. If only that damn plot hadn't come in and mucked it up- I still liked this film, but not nearly as much as I would have had the plot been changed drastically.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:14 am
Director

Quote:
nitrium wrote:
The Naked Spur (1953)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044953/
Anthony Mann directs screen legends James Stewart and Janet Leigh in a Western about a man who, after successfully tracking down his prize, finds he has to share his bounty with two others who also want a slice of the $5,000 payout. On their journey to Kansas to collect the bounty, the criminal skillfully manipulates the three in an attempt to sabotage their plans that will surely result in his hanging. Leigh as the love interest of both the criminal and later Stewart complicates things further.
While I'm a huge fan of Westerns generally, I found The Naked Spur a fairly middling film, with no standout or defining moments that might differentiate it from the many other films in this genre. The acting and dialogue, particularly from Leigh, comes across as typically (i.e. for the era) melodramatic and hammy by today's standards. Not terrible by any means, but imo not a classic US Western.
6/10.

Not Mann's finest work, in my opinion. Feels too much like a "backlot" movie, shot with only a handful of actors for presumably a very small budget. Mann's best is his splashiest: Winchester '73, Man of the West, El Cid, Roman Empire, Heroes of Telemark.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:18 pm
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Not Mann's finest work, in my opinion. Feels too much like a "backlot" movie, shot with only a handful of actors for presumably a very small budget. Mann's best is his splashiest: Winchester '73, Man of the West, El Cid, Roman Empire, Heroes of Telemark.

I'll hopefully be watching the first two on that list sometime over the next month. Looking forward to it.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:19 pm
Director

A Man Escaped is the true story of a resistance leader who escaped from a the very secure Montluc prison in 1943. It's based on the memoir by André Devigny, although the character in the movie is named Fontaine. The movie begins with our hero on his way to prison, takes us to the escape, and is sharply focused on Fontaine's determination to escape using the few tools available, patiently manufacturing most of them by hand. Unearthly patiently, considering prisoners are being executed and he will likely be one of them.

Filmed using a severely minimalist approach by Robert Bresson using non-actors, and this time that approach really worked for me. It comes off as a prison break procedural in the sense other movies are police procedurals. It would seem you wouldn't have that much character development, but it's surprising how much you learn about the man from his determination and resourcefulness. I found the whole thing thoroughly absorbing.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

I'll hopefully be watching the first two on that list sometime over the next month. Looking forward to it.

Nice. Man from Laramie also quite good IMO, though it contains no splashiness. More of a western-noir.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:21 am
Director

Begin Again (2014)

There are moments where my feeling towards this film is quite like Keira Knightley's character insisting with her boyfriend (played by Adam Levine in an amusingly self-deprecating role) about "authenticity." Director John Carney's previous film, Once, is such a startling, refreshing shot to the system because of how low-key and truthful it feels. In contrast, Begin Again dresses up its story in nested flashbacks, characters' quirks, and indie preciousness, which kinda go against that prominent message about authenticity the film is going for.

Almost miraculously though, it still remains mostly winning throughout. Carney's evocative and joyful sense for the process of creating music is still in evident, and all actors skirt by their tired tropes with charming earnestness and a few moments of raw emotions, especially from Mark Ruffalo. And I'm glad the two leads' chemistry has more than a few echoes of Once's partnership, avoiding the predictable route. That makes this most central relationship in the film really strong, wistful, and ultimately true-to-life enough that its previous stumbles feel distant in the end. 7.5/10

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781, 782 ... 829  Next