Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781 ... 829  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Also caught China Seas, with a cast containing Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Wallace Beery, Rosalind Russell, Lewis Stone and C. Aubrey Smith, a cast that you'd think would make a good film, but it really doesn't, though it was popular in it's day. Gable and Harlow tend to shout their lines, and Harlow, who I usually like during this phase of her career, actually is often bad. But I think the fault is with the scriptwriters, who saddled it with too many Meaningful Lines, the director, who needed to get the actors to tone it down a smidgen, and Robert Benchley, who plays a drunken writer for a comic relief that gets old really fast. It's all about Gable and company sailing through the South China Sea, with Beery commissioning Malay pirates to get a shipment of gold he knows is on board, while Gable has to select between brassy fling Harlow and dignified Russell, from whom he'd fled England because they were getting too close and she was married.

The dynamic there resembles the much better Red Dust, which had Mary Astor in the dignified role. That film also benefited from being pre-Code and fine performances by Gable and Harlow. (5.5 for China Seas; Red Dust is around an 8.)

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 am
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
He really does. Don't get me wrong, I like them too, but show JB Adventureland or (God help us) The Way Way Back and he's on that shit like a crack-whore on...crack.

Have to say I actually quite liked Adventureland. Definitely superior to The Way, Way Back. And both are better than Flipped.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 am
Critic

nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
He really does. Don't get me wrong, I like them too, but show JB Adventureland or (God help us) The Way Way Back and he's on that shit like a crack-whore on...crack.

Have to say I actually quite liked Adventureland. Definitely superior to The Way, Way Back. And both are better than Flipped.

I liked it too, for what it's worth, but not as much as he did. I think he Top 10'd it

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:26 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

I'm one of those who absolutely loved Adventureland. I grew up in the era where the movie takes place, and so I identified a lot with the characters. The Way Way Back on the other hand...I didn't hate it as much as others did, but I'll agree that JB missed here. It's not that good, and the lead character is a big vagina.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:54 am
Director

Non-Stop (2014)

Everyone brought their A-games except the writer, but that's almost enough. I think generally your enjoyment for this will be determined early on: if you pass the "So the whole thing just hinges on that and that?" thought process in the film's first few big events, and still want to see what happen next, you'll be fine. The direction is excellent, and Liam Neeson brings some needed melancholy and gravitas to the role as usual. Fun, if frustrating in spots. 6/10

Joe (2014)

Familiar story made fresh by restraint direction and good performances. The praise is mostly focused on Nicholas Cage's serious turn as Joe, which is deserved. But I'm even more impressed by Tye Sheridan, who brings a sense of youthful joy and energy to the film, and is the reason for both Joe and the audience to continue and invest in this bleak world. 7.5/10

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:58 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I'm one of those who absolutely loved Adventureland. I grew up in the era where the movie takes place, and so I identified a lot with the characters. The Way Way Back on the other hand...I didn't hate it as much as others did, but I'll agree that JB missed here. It's not that good, and the lead character is a big vagina.

I wouldn't exactly use that term to describe the lead character, but I do agree JB overrated the film.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:57 pm
Director

Lifeboat (1944)

This rewatch makes me appreciate the smaller stuff and masterful framing more, but the overall story still feels almost too long at only 90 minutes, and has one limp ending. It's really a film made of moments: evocative opening, that woman and her baby, urgent surgery, and so on. Elevated by its war context and especially Tallulah Bankhead, who makes sure the film never, ever become boring. 7/10

The Wind Rises (2014)

Could have been a masterpiece if not for the illness romance. It feels so tacked on that I am not surprised to find out later that the character is wholly invented. It drags down the focus of the already slow-paced third act. Otherwise the film is such a joy to watch, exquisite in technical details and human story. The parallel between Jiro and Miyazaki, and the resonance of choosing a story of artistic passion to be his (supposed) swan song, make for some beautiful thematic material, especially in scenes of Jiro striving for that perfection in his work. The director's great eye for flights of fantasy is expressed only through the world of dreams instead, but the animation in everyday life is supremely elegant and rich as well (it's also as terrifying as it needs to be for scenes of destruction, whether natural or man-made). A euphoric career summary. 8.5/10

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:39 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Lifeboat (1944)

This rewatch makes me appreciate the smaller stuff and masterful framing more, but the overall story still feels almost too long at only 90 minutes, and has one limp ending. It's really a film made of moments: evocative opening, that woman and her baby, urgent surgery, and so on. Elevated by its war context and especially Tallulah Bankhead, who makes sure the film never, ever become boring. 7/10

The Wind Rises (2014)

Could have been a masterpiece if not for the illness romance. It feels so tacked on that I am not surprised to find out later that the character is wholly invented. It drags down the focus of the already slow-paced third act. Otherwise the film is such a joy to watch, exquisite in technical details and human story. The parallel between Jiro and Miyazaki, and the resonance of choosing a story of artistic passion to be his (supposed) swan song, make for some beautiful thematic material, especially in scenes of Jiro striving for that perfection in his work. The director's great eye for flights of fantasy is expressed only through the world of dreams instead, but the animation in everyday life is supremely elegant and rich as well (it's also as terrifying as it needs to be for scenes of destruction, whether natural or man-made). A euphoric career summary. 8.5/10

HEY! What are you doing watching films not entered in your competition?? ;)

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:38 am
Director

Guilty on Hitchcock, but I can't miss a theatrical Miyazaki viewing. :)

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:43 am
Assistant Director

Daglicht (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2359002/
Dutch drama/thriller about a woman with an autistic son who unexpectedly discovers she has a brother who is currently locked up in a mental institution for murder. Her subsequent investigations reveal deeply buried family secrets and not all is what it seems. Nicely filmed, shot and acted, with an almost predictable shock twist ending. Not a bad watch, but also not exactly a standout of the genre.
7/10.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:58 pm
Director

peng wrote:
Joe (2013)

Familiar story made fresh by restraint direction and good performances. The praise is mostly focused on Nicholas Cage's serious turn as Joe, which is deserved. But I'm even more impressed by Tye Sheridan, who brings a sense of youthful joy and energy to the film, and is the reason for both Joe and the audience to continue and invest in this bleak world. 7.5/10

Same for me all around. Nice to see Nicolas Cage again in a movie that doesn't totally suck. :P And it's even nicer to see David Gordon Green gradually return from the abyss of his for-hire lowbrow comedy trilogy. :? It borrows a lot of the same themes as "Sling Blade," "Gran Torino" and "Mud," among others, but, like Green's other 2013 film, "Prince Avalanche," it's a step in the right direction.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:07 am
Assistant Director

peng wrote:
Joe (2014)

Just saw this, and I pretty much agree with everything. It starts on a slow pace, but it's still engaging. Solid performances from Cage and Sheridan, even though the role has a lot of similarities to what he did in Mud. Cage also shows that he can still deliver with restraint, but the film also has a moment where he's a bit let loose. That would be one of the few moments that felt a bit disjointed and out of tune with the rest of the film. But overall, I would give it a solid B or B+.

EDIT: I'm even more impressed now after learning that Gary Poulter, the old man that played Wade, was actually a homeless man with no experience in acting. His performance was really impressive, and it's a shame that he died shortly after filming finished.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Tracks (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2167266/
Australian film set in 1975 based on the true story of the 1,700 mile cross-desert journey by Robyn Davidson (Mia Wasikowska) from Alice Springs (middle of Australia) to the Indian Ocean accompanied only by her dog and three camels. At its core, this is basically a road trip film with a few notable differences; namely that this trip is mostly a solo journey, is undertaken entirely on foot, took over six months, uses camels as the sole mode of transportation... and it's mostly off-road. Along the way she meets various characters (mostly poverty stricken Aborigines). Mia Wasikowska's performance is convincing, as are her sunburn blisters - if this wasn't a true story you probably wouldn't believe any one would voluntarily put themselves through this. Photography of the totally barren dusty red landscapes (as stunning as they are) gets a little samey after a while - apparently there isn't a whole lot of scenery diversity in the Australian desert. Overall, an excellent little film from down under.
8/10.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:36 pm
Assistant Director

Two watches today...

On TV, I rewatched Predators, and I stand by my original opinion. This was better than it had any right to be. It doesn't compare to the original, but it does enough things well to keep me entertained. Grade: Probably a B

On DVD, we saw The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and my reaction was very similar to the first one. Pretty good film that gets a bit dragged down towards the end. Just like the first one, I thought that the Games per say were the least interesting bit, while the socio-political machinations and workings of this fictitious world are what I like. Another plus from the first one is that I do think that they polished the relationship of Katniss and Peeta a bit. Overall, I would give it a high B+

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Long time lurker for several years here, thought I'd finally jump in.

Under the Skin

I really liked the cinematography, the hypnotic / surreal atmosphere, the discordant score, and Johannson's performance but I just didn't find the movie particularly compelling overall. The seductions of the men became repetitive and I was generally left more weirded out than interested. I guess these really abstract, existential movies may not be my cup of tea. Maybe it'll fare better on a second viewing? I'm confused as to why the alien had very human-like interactions with the men she was luring but appeared to have barely any social skills with everyone else.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:00 pm
Assistant Director

The Naked Spur (1953)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044953/
Anthony Mann directs screen legends James Stewart and Janet Leigh in a Western about a man who, after successfully tracking down his prize, finds he has to share his bounty with two others who also want a slice of the $5,000 payout. On their journey to Kansas to collect the bounty, the criminal skillfully manipulates the three in an attempt to sabotage their plans that will surely result in his hanging. Leigh as the love interest of both the criminal and later Stewart complicates things further.
While I'm a huge fan of Westerns generally, I found The Naked Spur a fairly middling film, with no standout or defining moments that might differentiate it from the many other films in this genre. The acting and dialogue, particularly from Leigh, comes across as typically (i.e. for the era) melodramatic and hammy by today's standards. Not terrible by any means, but imo not a classic US Western.
6/10.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 am
Second Unit Director

Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

A re-watch with the wife, Stranger Than Fiction is a high concept light comedy about Harold Crick, a sad sack IRS auditor (Will Farrell) who one day finds that his daily activities are being related in the 3rd person in his head by an unseen narrator (Emma Thompson). After the initial shock wears off and with the steadfast determination to believe that he is not crazy or schizophrenic, Harold is able to cope with this quirk in his life until the narrator begins talking about Harold's imminent and unforeseen death.

Coming from the director who was behind the helm of such differing fare as World War Z and Quantum of Solace, Stranger Than Fiction is breezy, but it has a dark undertone in Emma Thompson's author character Karen Eiffel, and a fatalistic slant from Dustin Hoffman's literary expert Jules Hilbert.

At 113 minutes, the movie spends just about the right amount of time with this story. Although it obviously is a fantasy, I did have a couple of problems with:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
-The construction crew that tries to demolish Harold's apartment: like a crew wouldn't do a walkthrough and ensure the place is empty? -The speed with which the Eiffel and Hilbert characters come to believe that Eiffel is able to control Harold's life with her typewriter. -And most of all, that Harold and Hilbert come to the conclusion that he MUST die to serve the story that Eiffel is creating. That last one is a central turning point of the movie and one that I just couldn't, and can't, buy.

At the end of the day, the messages of this movie about making the most of your life, taking chances and finding that one unfulfilled dream and reaching for it are nothing new, but they are packaged in a story that is, at the very least, interesting to watch unfold. 3.0 / 4.0

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:06 am
Producer

The Hangover 3

I loved this film!!!! ;)

Seriously, there isn't even a hangover in this film. Unless the film is the hangover.

This is an epic miscalculation. I can't recall a more obviously redundant screenplay. The problem is that the premise of the film is abandoned when the premise is the only thing that mattered. The uninteresting and undeveloped characters vanish when taken out of the original, contrived scenario. There's more substance to a lollypop than there is in these characters.

So instead we're left with a kidnapping plot and its associated dashing around. Not the male bridesmaids as, Mellissa Mcarthy's cameo might have you believe, but rather the male Sex and the City 2. A right carry on!

0/10

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

A re-watch with the wife, Stranger Than Fiction is a high concept light comedy about Harold Crick, a sad sack IRS auditor (Will Farrell) who one day finds that his daily activities are being related in the 3rd person in his head by an unseen narrator (Emma Thompson). After the initial shock wears off and with the steadfast determination to believe that he is not crazy or schizophrenic, Harold is able to cope with this quirk in his life until the narrator begins talking about Harold's imminent and unforeseen death.

Coming from the director who was behind the helm of such differing fare as World War Z and Quantum of Solace, Stranger Than Fiction is breezy, but it has a dark undertone in Emma Thompson's author character Karen Eiffel, and a fatalistic slant from Dustin Hoffman's literary expert Jules Hilbert.

At 113 minutes, the movie spends just about the right amount of time with this story. Although it obviously is a fantasy, I did have a couple of problems with:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
-The construction crew that tries to demolish Harold's apartment: like a crew wouldn't do a walkthrough and ensure the place is empty? -The speed with which the Eiffel and Hilbert characters come to believe that Eiffel is able to control Harold's life with her typewriter. -And most of all, that Harold and Hilbert come to the conclusion that he MUST die to serve the story that Eiffel is creating. That last one is a central turning point of the movie and one that I just couldn't, and can't, buy.

At the end of the day, the messages of this movie about making the most of your life, taking chances and finding that one unfulfilled dream and reaching for it are nothing new, but they are packaged in a story that is, at the very least, interesting to watch unfold. 3.0 / 4.0

And it has Maggie Gyllenhall. *drool*

She may not be a tradtional beauty, but damn, she is sexy! She definitely has that certain, special, something...

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:58 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
The Hangover 3

I loved this film!!!! ;)

I'm going to quote you out of context here on the DVD cover :D

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781 ... 829  Next