Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780 ... 818  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1021
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Thief12 wrote:
Anyway, today I caught Splice on TV, and this was really a weird and awkward film. I thought it had some sort of interesting premise, but the writer and director didn't seem to know what to do with it. I mean, what were they going for? was this sci-fi? horror? fantasy? family drama? As the film went on and on, things kept on turning more and more absurd and I really didn't like it that much. Kudos to Sarah Polley, who I think was pretty solid, regardless of the end result. Grade: C

Yeah I rated it a 6/10, pretty much in line with our host. It was going for genetic engineering gone wrong with a few horror elements. I'm not sure where you got "family drama" from ;-).


Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:50 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm
Posts: 802
Location: Puerto Rico
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Anyway, today I caught Splice on TV, and this was really a weird and awkward film. I thought it had some sort of interesting premise, but the writer and director didn't seem to know what to do with it. I mean, what were they going for? was this sci-fi? horror? fantasy? family drama? As the film went on and on, things kept on turning more and more absurd and I really didn't like it that much. Kudos to Sarah Polley, who I think was pretty solid, regardless of the end result. Grade: C

Yeah I rated it a 6/10, pretty much in line with our host. It was going for genetic engineering gone wrong with a few horror elements. I'm not sure where you got "family drama" from ;-).


That was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but still, the film touches on a lot of elements of family, relationships, and whatnot. After all, that was the underlying theme in it.

_________________
"Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Visit my site: Thief12 profile


Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Well directed and (mostly well) plotted action sci-fi flick. Both Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are game. The writers draw up some pretty basic rules for the time travel conceit, and stick with them for the most part. But then, like so many that have gone before, they cheat their own rules by the end of the movie. I would concur with JB's 3.0 / 4.0 rating.


Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:01 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 791
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Johnny Larue wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Well directed and (mostly well) plotted action sci-fi flick. Both Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are game. The writers draw up some pretty basic rules for the time travel conceit, and stick with them for the most part. But then, like so many that have gone before, they cheat their own rules by the end of the movie. I would concur with JB's 3.0 / 4.0 rating.


Hey Johnny, I have been reading this from a few people already and because I disagree then I made this YT video about the ending (~ 6 minutes) in a nutshell:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The rules for the time travel day reset are simple (Explained by Rita to Cage):

1) You get the gift (resetting the day) by killing one Alpha (blueyish alien which are very rare in opposite to the reddish one who are the soldiers that made most of the damage in the invasion) in a body to body contact (close enough to get its blood).

2) Cage high jacketed the gift when he killed an Alpha in his first outing as a soldier in the beach so after that he is only one who can reset the day every time he dies.

3) You lose the gift if you lose the Alien blood and if you lose it then it goes back to the Aliens

Cage was resetting the day and always starting back as a demoted private (rank he got for trying to blackmail the General to avoid going to the front) but at almost the end in the last iterations to get a device in the General office to help him to locate the Omega (The Brain) he gets wounded and lost the Alpha blood and the ability to reset the day which was back to the Aliens and thus gets out of that particular time frame looping. At the end of the film he kills the Omega ( the brain) and just as before close enough to get the Alien blood before dying to get back the time resetting day gift again but this time earlier than the morning invasion so when he starts again now is a Major again (previous to the meeting to the General) and now he knows the location of the Omega too (game over for the Aliens invasion lol)

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
unwindfilms wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Well directed and (mostly well) plotted action sci-fi flick. Both Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are game. The writers draw up some pretty basic rules for the time travel conceit, and stick with them for the most part. But then, like so many that have gone before, they cheat their own rules by the end of the movie. I would concur with JB's 3.0 / 4.0 rating.


Hey Johnny, I have been reading this from a few people already and because I disagree then I made this YT video about the ending (~ 6 minutes) in a nutshell:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The rules for the time travel day reset are simple (Explained by Rita to Cage):

1) You get the gift (resetting the day) by killing one Alpha (blueyish alien which are very rare in opposite to the reddish one who are the soldiers that made most of the damage in the invasion) in a body to body contact (close enough to get its blood).

2) Cage high jacketed the gift when he killed an Alpha in his first outing as a soldier in the beach so after that he is only one who can reset the day every time he dies.

3) You lose the gift if you lose the Alien blood and if you lose it then it goes back to the Aliens

Cage was resetting the day and always starting back as a demoted private (rank he got for trying to blackmail the General to avoid going to the front) but at almost the end in the last iterations to get a device in the General office to help him to locate the Omega (The Brain) he gets wounded and lost the Alpha blood and the ability to reset the day which was back to the Aliens and thus gets out of that particular time frame looping. At the end of the film he kills the Omega ( the brain) and just as before close enough to get the Alien blood before dying to get back the time resetting day gift again but this time earlier than the morning invasion so when he starts again now is a Major again (previous to the meeting to the General) and now he knows the location of the Omega too (game over for the Aliens invasion lol)


Hi unwind: Anything that requires such gyrations to make sense (and leaps of logic unreferenced in the screenplay besides) is a case where the logic is serving the story instead of the other way around. A more practical explanation is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The producer/writer/director wanted a happier, Hollywood-friendly ending. I like my explanation better. :D


Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:46 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2233
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I think it was Matt Achity who said it best: the ending to Edge of Tomorrow might not entirely make sense but it was emotionally satisfying. I would agree with that.


Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:04 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 791
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Johnny Larue wrote:

Hi unwind: Anything that requires such gyrations to make sense (and leaps of logic unreferenced in the screenplay besides) is a case where the logic is serving the story instead of the other way around. A more practical explanation is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The producer/writer/director wanted a happier, Hollywood-friendly ending. I like my explanation better. :D


Oh I saw the movie twice and I am sure the day time resetting rules are referenced in the film (as I wrote them) with the conversations between Rita and Cage and anyone who saw the movie carefully can rectify that ;)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
She tells him that he high jacked the time day resetting after killing an Alpha (the Alien used as device to reset the day for the Aliens and they can do better next time and the reason why they are called "Mimics") in first outing in the front and now he is the one who can reset the day and she knows that because it happened to her and she lost it when she lost the blood after she was wounded which happened to Cage later on, thus losing the time looping . Cage entered in another time loop at the end after killing the Omega which because happened earlier than the previous one, now, he can come back as Major as it happened earlier. Anyway, loved that at the end Cage and Rita were still alive indeed !!

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3734
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
I don't think it was a case of "logic serving the story" at all, it made perfect sense to me.


Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:15 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 971
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
The Rover: "The Rover" gives independent films a bad name. It's completely inane, boring as hell, and utterly pointless. Nothing happens in this movie. Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson (who, unless he picks his projects better, will be on "Dancing With the Stars" in no time. An acting class or two won't hurt either.) drive or talk, and occasionally shoot at something. That's the whole movie. But they don't say anything of any interest. They just babble on about the most mundane crap to appease the wannabe intellectuals who drool over crap like this to prove to each other how smart and sophisticated they are. Please, just avoid this movie. With all the publicity the distributor is giving it, hopefully it will end up in a landfill next to "E.T." for the Atari. 0.5/4

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys: Uneven scripting and flat direction tanks a potentially good coming-of-age story. The performances are good, but the characters are weakly written, and a subplot about incest is badly handled. 2.5/4

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:17 am
Profile WWW
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3734
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
moviemkr7 wrote:
The Rover: "The Rover" gives independent films a bad name. It's completely inane, boring as hell, and utterly pointless. Nothing happens in this movie. Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson (who, unless he picks his projects better, will be on "Dancing With the Stars" in no time. An acting class or two won't hurt either.) drive or talk, and occasionally shoot at something. That's the whole movie. But they don't say anything of any interest. They just babble on about the most mundane crap to appease the wannabe intellectuals who drool over crap like this to prove to each other how smart and sophisticated they are. Please, just avoid this movie. With all the publicity the distributor is giving it, hopefully it will end up in a landfill next to "E.T." for the Atari. 0.5/4

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys: Uneven scripting and flat direction tanks a potentially good coming-of-age story. The performances are good, but the characters are weakly written, and a subplot about incest is badly handled. 2.5/4

More proof that Pattinson is the worst actor of all time, i've never even heard of that film until now, but it actually sounds worse then Cosmopolis. I feel bad for a Guy Pearce though, what did such a great actor do to deserve getting stuck with plank of wood for a co-star?


Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:20 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2233
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
See and I've actually heard good things about Pattinson's acting in The Rover.

Looking forward to seeing the movie myself. It looks good to me and it's getting good reviews.


Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:19 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1021
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Flipped (2010)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0817177/
Rob Reiner directs this coming of age story set in the 50's (based on a novel by Wendelin Van Draanen). The story is told through the eyes of two children (Juli and Bryce), and each scene is replayed so both viewpoints are given. The syrupy sweet boy meets girl storyline is bought to life by soft focus invoking the nostalgia of the era. The leads are the relatively (for me) unknown actors Madeline Carroll and Callan McAuliffe, the former being significantly stronger than the latter.
The entire film is constantly narrated by the two protagonists. Yes ENTIRE. It's like listening to an audiobook with moving pictures. I find narration grating on my nerves at the best of times, but it can of course be a useful (if not essential) device to establish the scene. Using narration for the entirety of the film (this is the first movie outside of a documentary I have seen do this) I found simply insufferable, and effectively ruined what is otherwise a pleasant enough watch.
5/10.


Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:07 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
Flipped (2010)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0817177/
Rob Reiner directs this coming of age story set in the 50's (based on a novel by Wendelin Van Draanen). The story is told through the eyes of two children (Juli and Bryce), and each scene is replayed so both viewpoints are given. The syrupy sweet boy meets girl storyline is bought to life by soft focus invoking the nostalgia of the era. The leads are the relatively (for me) unknown actors Madeline Carroll and Callan McAuliffe, the former being significantly stronger than the latter.
The entire film is constantly narrated by the two protagonists. Yes ENTIRE. It's like listening to an audiobook with moving pictures. I find narration grating on my nerves at the best of times, but it can of course be a useful (if not essential) device to establish the scene. Using narration for the entirety of the film (this is the first movie outside of a documentary I have seen do this) I found simply insufferable, and effectively ruined what is otherwise a pleasant enough watch.
5/10.


Plus the movie really pulled out all the dramatic stops, didn't it? Retarded relatives!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:32 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Hours (2013) ***

One of Paul Walker's last films, Hours is a movie I knew nothing about until I saw it on an airplane. I ended up liking this little movie quite a bit. It's got a simple premise (Paul Walker's child needs a ventilator to breathe. Hurricane Katrina kills the power in the hospital and sends everyone away, but he can't leave because he has to constantly recharge the battery in the ventilator) that it does a lot with, and it shows a lot of Mr. Walker that you might not have seen before. I didn't empathize with him as profoundly as I did Redford in All is Lost, but he sold the character for me. Recommended.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:41 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1021
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
Plus the movie really pulled out all the dramatic stops, didn't it? Retarded relatives!

Yep - outside the leads, everyone in this film was a cliche. Fortunately the movie wasn't about them. Our host's 3.5 star review is a rare (fortunately) miss from him. He has a soft spot for coming of age films, that's for sure.


Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:01 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
unwindfilms wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Hi unwind: Anything that requires such gyrations to make sense (and leaps of logic unreferenced in the screenplay besides) is a case where the logic is serving the story instead of the other way around. A more practical explanation is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The producer/writer/director wanted a happier, Hollywood-friendly ending. I like my explanation better. :D


Oh I saw the movie twice and I am sure the day time resetting rules are referenced in the film (as I wrote them) with the conversations between Rita and Cage and anyone who saw the movie carefully can rectify that ;)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
She tells him that he high jacked the time day resetting after killing an Alpha (the Alien used as device to reset the day for the Aliens and they can do better next time and the reason why they are called "Mimics") in first outing in the front and now he is the one who can reset the day and she knows that because it happened to her and she lost it when she lost the blood after she was wounded which happened to Cage later on, thus losing the time looping . Cage entered in another time loop at the end after killing the Omega which because happened earlier than the previous one, now, he can come back as Major as it happened earlier. Anyway, loved that at the end Cage and Rita were still alive indeed !!


As I understood it....
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Omega does the "day rollback". It does this only when it senses that an Alpha has been killed (which would also signify a defeat for the aliens). Cruise's character DOES get killed while killing an Alpha, but his blood is "infected" with the Alpha's and now the Omega can't tell him apart from any other Alpha. So when he dies, the day is reset (the Omega thinking that an Alpha has been killed). He and Rita "hi-jacked" the time rollback insofar as the Omega can't tell them from another Alpha. But if another Alpha is killed, the time would still rollback. It's not like Cruise is the only one with "the power" now, because the Omega controls the time rollback.

Also: regarding your argument that he killed the Omega the night before the battle (instead of during the battle) and that shot him further back in time, recall that Rita executed Cage even earlier than that during that first day when he broke his arm/leg during training and he still woke up at the same point busted down to a private.


Vexer wrote:
I don't think it was a case of "logic serving the story" at all, it made perfect sense to me.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Now as for the ending....if you want to say that the Omega triggered one more time rollback in its death throws just for shits and giggles and that saves Cruise (and yet IT is still destroyed in the rollback...which doesn't make sense), fine...I can be made to buy that. What I DON'T buy is Cruise waking up a Major on the helicopter going in to see the general rather than his regular starting point of being busted down to a private on the deck of the base like he normally does. Why? Why would it rollback to 09:00 of the previous day instead of 12:00 like it normally does? THAT makes no sense without wild theorizing except to give Cruise's character a happier ending. THAT is logic serving the story.


Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:43 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 791
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Johnny Larue wrote:
As I understood it....
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The Omega does the "day rollback". It does this only when it senses that an Alpha has been killed (which would also signify a defeat for the aliens). Cruise's character DOES get killed while killing an Alpha, but his blood is "infected" with the Alpha's and now the Omega can't tell him apart from any other Alpha. So when he dies, the day is reset (the Omega thinking that an Alpha has been killed). He and Rita "hi-jacked" the time rollback insofar as the Omega can't tell them from another Alpha. But if another Alpha is killed, the time would still rollback. It's not like Cruise is the only one with "the power" now, because the Omega controls the time rollback.

Also: regarding your argument that he killed the Omega the night before the battle (instead of during the battle) and that shot him further back in time, recall that Rita executed Cage even earlier than that during that first day when he broke his arm/leg during training and he still woke up at the same point busted down to a private.


HaHa easy to explain Johnny

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The time resetting loop frame is set when Cage (Cruise) gets infected by Alpha/Omega blood , no when he is killed and according Rita Cage (Cruise) highjacked the gift and now only him can reset the time not the Aliens until he loses his blood and the power goes back to the Aliens. These are conclusions of Rita and her scientist adviser figured out when Rita had this gift , the rules of the time day resetting so to speak (do not ask me the science behind lol) and explained to Cruise by Rita and Dr Carter (Noah Taylor). In one part this scientist (played by Noah Taylor and everybody else but Rita think is crazy) tells him that humanity (the ability of hickjack this power) is the weakness of the Aliens. Keep in mind that Alphas are extremely rare according Rita

There are two time loops for Cage (Cruise) one day back when he got infected by killing the Alpha in his first outing in the beach . When he loses the infection then he is out of this loop. He gets in another time looping when he got infected second time by killing the Omega at the end at earlier time. Savvy?

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
unwindfilms wrote:
HaHa easy to explain Johnny


OK Carlos....I understand your theory. I still think my less convoluted explanation fits better and will just leave it at that.


Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:21 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7478
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Plus the movie really pulled out all the dramatic stops, didn't it? Retarded relatives!

Yep - outside the leads, everyone in this film was a cliche. Fortunately the movie wasn't about them. Our host's 3.5 star review is a rare (fortunately) miss from him. He has a soft spot for coming of age films, that's for sure.


He really does. Don't get me wrong, I like them too, but show JB Adventureland or (God help us) The Way Way Back and he's on that shit like a crack-whore on...crack.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:32 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2116
Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Caught a couple of silent Ozu films, Passing Fancy and An Inn in Tokyo, both starring Takeshi Sakamoto as a single father named Kihachi. In Passing Fancy, Kihachi helps out a pretty jobless woman named Harue (Nobuko Fushimi) while his friend Jiro (Den Obinata) is more skeptical, and when Kihachi falls for the younger Harue, Jiro takes a dislike toward her. Naturally. Harue, of course falls for Jiro. But when Kihachi's son falls seriously ill (through a misjudgment of Kitachi's), things get more serious and Kihachi needs to find a way to make money.

There seemed something off about the film, although it's enjoyable enough. I think the problem is that it needed to be about fifteen minutes shorter. The pacing seems to be off. I also didn't feel any attachment to the son (Tokkan Kozo) in this film. (6.5 of 10)

An Inn in Tokyo is about twenty minutes shorter, much more serious, and so far my favorite of Ozu's silents (which for me are these two films and I Was Born, But...). Kihachi in this film is an unemployed father of two who is struggling to survive. As he goes from factory to factory, his sons catch stray dogs and take them in for rabies prevention, which nets a reward. Along the way, they meet a young widow and her daughter, and the kids become playmates. The widow is also looking for a job. Kihachi accidentally meets an old friend, she takes them in (she runs...an inn in Tokyo) and that gives him enough stability to actually find a job. However, the widow still needs a job, and he tries to help her out, which leads to Kihachi finding a larger spark of decency than he realized he had. Solid film with easily the best performance I've seen by Takeshi Sakamoto (and Tokkan Kato for that matter). Ozu was highly influenced by Chaplin in this period, and I think it shows most in this film, although it's not really a comedy. (7.5 of 10)

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Last edited by Syd Henderson on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:46 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 774, 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780 ... 818  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Pedro, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr