Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778 ... 830  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
wisey wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Chef: Boy, I can tell why this film has been the buzz of the indie film scene. It's a great character piece with terrific performances and interesting characters. A little too understated, perhaps, but I think it's a movie that will grow on me. Definitely going to pick it up on Blu Ray when it comes out.

People are probably going to overlook this post, just like audiences have been overlooking this movie. It's wonderful. Possibly my favorite of the year so far. The movie is a clear analogy for Favreau's experiences in Hollywood, but the movies are replaced with food. It's a simple movie and story done exceptionally well with something to say about creativity not necessarily needing to be incredibly complex. And it's really funny. The rare feel good movie that doesn't get cheesy or sappy and just revels in wonderfulness.

Go see it, Reelviews!

Really? It looks horrible, but will check it out now after the praise above.

I really dug it. My only small complaint is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
that the very end feels a little rushed and inevitable. It's not really a twist, more of a feel good moment that you realize is coming about halfway through the movie. It's worth seeing just for the cross country road trip that is most of the second half of the film.

It's not a movie that's going to break any new ground, but I appreciated it because it's simple in story and execution, which both matched what it was trying to say about creativity thriving more on inspiration and passion than anything super complex.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:21 am
Assistant Director

Art School Confidential (2006)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364955/
Terry Zwigoff (Ghost World and Bad Santa) directs a film about a shy and socially awkward student who enrolls at New York City's Strathmore College to study art with John Malkovich as his teacher while a serial killer roams the streets. The usual cliches abound here (discovering love, life, and himself), but everything somehow still feels surprisingly fresh. The script is by Daniel Clowes (who also penned the excellent Ghost World) based on his comic. I suspect art students won't like what this film has to say about modern art - it's scathing and highly cynical (for the record I agree with the writer), particularly the ending. There is technically nothing in Art School Confidential you won't have seen before, but the packaging of the cliches is nonetheless highly watchable, with well developed characters, good acting and solid writing.
7.5/10.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:12 am
Director

I finally got around to watching "Tristana" the other night. Definitely not one of my favorite Buñuel, but, as with the works of any provocative filmmaker, still worth checking out. 7/10

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:56 am
Assistant Director

Edge of Tomorrow 3 1/2 Stars
What happens when Director Doug Liman (Bourne Identity, Mr & Mrs Smith) mix one of my favourite comedies of all time (Groundhog Day) with my favourite genre (Science fiction) in a masterful way and with the guy from Mission Impossible mixed with jerry McGuire (Tom Cruise) , Emily Blunt in a bad ass role and to round it up awesome support cast in Brendan Gleason and Bill Paxton, well an awesome cinematic experience for me (and in 3D ! can I ask for more? no really, I have seen it twice already and I can hardly wait to buy the 3D blu ray). After reading multiples reviews , 2/3 of the film is universally loved and the last act due some reviewers did not get it , no loved in majority, but I think that I dug the last act too and I even made a video about it :). You can not miss this one 8-)

Attachments:
Edge of Tomorrow.jpg
Edge of Tomorrow.jpg [ 23 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]

Last edited by unwindfilms on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Samurai Rebellion (1967)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061847/
A tragedy of Shakespearean proportions about a feudel lord who demands his ex-mistress back after marrying her off to the son of one of his vassals (Toshirô Mifune). After refusing to accept the lord's wishes, tensions rapidly escalate. The story is superb - themes of love, obedience, loyalty, betrayal, and of course honour abound. Mifune is his usual excellent self - he's pretty much to Samurai films what John Wayne is to Westerns. The fight choreography, however, I thought was somewhat lacking; fortunately, battles are not really what Samurai Rebellion is about.
7.5/10.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:32 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
Samurai Rebellion (1967)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061847/
A tragedy of Shakespearean proportions about a feudel lord who demands his ex-mistress back after marrying her off to the son of one of his vassals (Toshirô Mifune). After refusing to accept the lord's wishes, tensions rapidly escalate. The story is superb - themes of love, obedience, loyalty, betrayal, and of course honour abound. Mifune is his usual excellent self - he's pretty much to Samurai films what John Wayne is to Westerns. The fight choreography, however, I thought was somewhat lacking; fortunately, battles are not really what Samurai Rebellion is about.
7.5/10.

The Japanese title translates as "Rebellion: Receive the Wife," which reflects the subject matter better. It's one of my favorite films. It and Harakiri both reflect on how a code of "chivalry" can be used to crush people. Beautifully filmed, too.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:17 pm
Director

20 Feet from Stardom (2013)

Saw a bunch of movies on the planes, but only one new watch, this Oscar winner for best documentary. It's a pretty standard-format doc, especially relative to its year of great stuff like The Act of Killing and Stories We Tell, but it's hard to fault it when the subjects are both deserving of the spotlight and so irresistible. Loved this scene a lot too. 7/10

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:39 am
Assistant Director

Wolf Creek 2 (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2004432/
Sequel to the 2005 Australian Outback redneck serial killer movie that got a rare ZERO star review from the late great Roger Ebert. Personally I thought the first one was a pretty good (but not great) horror/thriller. The sequel offers basically more of the same, but with significantly more humour. As in the first film, Mick Taylor (John Jarratt) hates overseas tourists so he kills as many of them as he can as slowly and sadistically as possible. For the sequel Mick has been given a sort of Freddy Kruger makeover - lots of hilarious classic Aussie one-liners are combined with his penchant for over the top violence and mayhem. The result is that Wolf Creek 2 is certainly more "fun" than the first one, but it has also lost something along the way - I didn't find it nearly as gripping and tense (and, I suspect, as memorable). The ending especially I thought was severely lacking here (i.e. lazy). While I realise the movie is supposedly "based on true events", it nonetheless makes absolutely no sense that Mick:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
simply lets his victim go without any explanation, especially after said victim had bashed him over the head with a hammer and had seen Mick's dungeon of horrors.

One thing's for sure, Wolf Creek (and now it's sequel) certainly won't inspire you to go and see The Outback - somehow I doubt these films were endorsed by Tourism Australia.
6.5/10.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:10 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
20 Feet from Stardom (2013)

Saw a bunch of movies on the planes, but only one new watch, this Oscar winner for best documentary. It's a pretty standard-format doc, especially relative to its year of great stuff like The Act of Killing and Stories We Tell, but it's hard to fault it when the subjects are both deserving of the spotlight and so irresistible. Loved this scene a lot too. 7/10

Yeah that scene is THE scene in the movie. I do think it's easy to fault the decision though -- documentaries should be praised for innovation, not for being standard-order

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:44 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
Art School Confidential (2006)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364955/
Terry Zwigoff (Ghost World and Bad Santa) directs a film about a shy and socially awkward student who enrolls at New York City's Strathmore College to study art with John Malkovich as his teacher while a serial killer roams the streets. The usual cliches abound here (discovering love, life, and himself), but everything somehow still feels surprisingly fresh. The script is by Daniel Clowes (who also penned the excellent Ghost World) based on his comic. I suspect art students won't like what this film has to say about modern art - it's scathing and highly cynical (for the record I agree with the writer), particularly the ending. There is technically nothing in Art School Confidential you won't have seen before, but the packaging of the cliches is nonetheless highly watchable, with well developed characters, good acting and solid writing.
7.5/10.

Well, we agree on Samurai Rebellion, anyway. It's interesting that Zwigoff did do an effective scathing commentary on art education, but it's contained within Ghost World.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:54 pm
Assistant Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Well, we agree on Samurai Rebellion, anyway. It's interesting that Zwigoff did do an effective scathing commentary on art education, but it's contained within Ghost World.

Just to be clear, I consider Ghost World a significantly better film (looking back, I scored it an 8.5/10 but I haven't seen it in a long time).

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:25 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Yeah that scene is THE scene in the movie. I do think it's easy to fault the decision though -- documentaries should be praised for innovation, not for being standard-order

By faulting it I mean feel grudge towards the movie itself, since it's well-made and likeable. The decision is indeed faulty, clearly gearing towards popularity than quality.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:32 am
Critic

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) ***1/2

I will be the first to admit that this movie isn't as tightly constructed as its predecessor, and its title is fucking terrible, but there are so many wonderful things about it, including a sequence--in which a long-estranged middle aged couple rekindle their love for each other--which is as beautiful a scene as I'm likely to see all year (in the middle of a goddamn animated film about dragons, mind you) so I've got to drop the 3.5 on it.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:02 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

I will be the first to admit that this movie isn't as tightly constructed as its predecessor, and its title is fucking terrible, but there are so many wonderful things about it, including a sequence--in which a long-estranged middle aged couple rekindle their love for each other--which is as beautiful a scene as I'm likely to see all year (in the middle of a goddamn animated film about dragons, mind you) so I've got to drop the 3.5 on it.

It also has a lovely song attached to it. I like the interplay between Hiccup and Astrid, who seem perfectly suited for each other. They may be young, but I'd follow them.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:47 pm
Assistant Director

Z (1969)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065234/
I saw this one mentioned here a few times, so thought I'd check it out. Z is a French film is about events leading up to and aftermath of a drive by assassination of a prominent left-wing senator during a street protest. You would forgiven if after the first hour for thinking a better title for the film would have been Zzzzz, but it fortunately does pick up a bit when the subsequent investigation of the murder unravels a conspiracy involving a great deal of corruption in high places. A key issue I had with the film is a lack of a central protagonist (rather it continually moves its focus from one character to another). Further, Z is incredibly talky, and I felt like I had speed read a novel by the time the end credits rolled (this wouldn't be an issue for native French speakers obviously). Overall, I found it just ok.
6.5/10.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:50 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
Z (1969)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065234/
I saw this one mentioned here a few times, so thought I'd check it out. Z is a French film is about events leading up to and aftermath of a drive by assassination of a prominent left-wing senator during a street protest. You would forgiven if after the first hour for thinking a better title for the film would have been Zzzzz, but it fortunately does pick up a bit when the subsequent investigation of the murder unravels a conspiracy involving a great deal of corruption in high places. A key issue I had with the film is a lack of a central protagonist (rather it continually moves its focus from one character to another). Further, Z is incredibly talky, and I felt like I had speed read a novel by the time the end credits rolled (this wouldn't be an issue for native French speakers obviously). Overall, I found it just ok.
6.5/10.

Oh man, you're like the first person to not like this movie. I don't find the first half boring. Slower perhaps than the amazing second half, but the assassination is riveting cinema and the aftermath compelling.

Then the second half is incredible. Trintignant is so good as the magistrate because he's NOT a great man. He's not a crusader. He's a fairly nondescript bureaucrat but he competently, even reluctantly investigates the event as the movie builds and builds and builds.

And then the ending. You get the incredibly satisfying slamming of the evil officials, with my favorite line ("lithe and fierce as a tiger") only to realize, as Irene Pappas does with that wretched look on her face when they tell her the good news, that there's no way it will matter.

And then the coda. Oh the amazing coda.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:24 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Oh man, you're like the first person to not like this movie.

But I did "like" it! I just didn't love it. 6.5/10 from me is not a terrible score.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:27 pm
Critic

nitrium wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Oh man, you're like the first person to not like this movie.

But I did "like" it! I just didn't love it. 6.5/10 from me is not a terrible score.

The overall tenor of your comment was not positive

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

Couldn't agree more. It's not as complete as the first entry, but it's still damn good. It's a real credit that so many of the scenes are still pretty affecting emotionally despite feeling inevitable the whole time. This series is just all kinds of wonderful.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:18 pm
Assistant Director

The Afflicted (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309961/
Mockumentary (not found footage for a change) film about two friends who go on a one year round the world trip that they document with a web series. Early on, one gets infected with a mysterious "disease" in Paris by a woman he picks up in a bar. The footage then becomes a "documentary" on the progression of his affliction and subsequent life as a:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
vampire. And it ain't glamourous.

In both style and substance, the film often strongly reminded me of 2012's Chronicle - not quite a complete rip off, but it occasionally comes close. The conceit (which is a problem for most films of this genre) is that they continue to video everything. Assuming you can suspend disbelief on that issue, the acting, story, pacing, effects etc are all fine and by clocking in at under 90 minutes it doesn't wear out its welcome. Overall, an interesting and well-executed take on what is otherwise a very, very tired subject.
7/10.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778 ... 830  Next