Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777 ... 808  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
I'd say 12 Monkeys is the better movie though. Gattaca is solid but doesn't have the raw energy and momentum of 12 Monkeys or Truman Show.

Funny you mention The Truman Show. They also passed that up (in favor of Groundhog Day) in my "Comedies with deeper meaning" category

Surprised that they would prefer Groundhog to Truman. Both are great films though.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:18 pm
Assistant Director

The Motel Life (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559036/
Superb, albeit grim, drama about down on their luck brothers. After one accidentally kills a cyclist in a hit and run, the other tries to protect him the best he can. Relentlessly depressing (although it does end on a slim note of hope), this sort of film clearly isn't for everyone (if the imdb score is anything to go by). With a tight focus on the protagonists, wonderful winter photography (and some imaginative cartoon segments), and incredible acting by all involved (Emile Hirsch, Stephen Dorff, Dakota Fanning, Kris Kristofferson) there is very little here to fault. Possibly the best US made drama I have seen this year.
8.5/10.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:16 am
Assistant Director

Escape from Tomorrow (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2187884/
Surrealistic, Lynchian style film about a middle-aged man having some sort of mid-life crisis while on vacation with his wife and two young children at Disney World in Florida (the whole film is set there). Shot in black white because indie, on a tiny budget using guerrilla filming at the theme park (i.e. without permission from Disney - I suspect they would not be at all happy about this and I'm almost surprised it hasn't been banned). Lots of strange things happen that are open to interpretation, particularly in the final 30 minutes after which events take a turn to the bizarre. Acting is surprisingly good, but the film-making by writer/director Randy Moore is a bit amateur (to be expected from a debut and clandestine filming).
6.5/10.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:22 pm
Assistant Director

Born and Raised (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567227/
Feather light indie drama that, inexplicably, has won 7 awards at various film festivals, about a young man discovering love and life. Blah blah blah. The drama (and indeed events) strongly reminded me crappy TV dramas. Dawson's Creek springs to mind. Except Dawson's Creek is better acted and had a better script.
4.5/10.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:44 pm
Director

Phantom of the Opera 1989

Lame movie. Robert Englund plays the phantom, and his face is much cleaner and clearer here than it is in the Nightmare series. This version of the story presents it as a typical gory slasher from the 80s. I would say it's priorities become entirely jumbled up, especially when the phantom starts staging elaborate killings of characters that don't even have anything to do with the opera house. Good cinematography and production value though, and the acting's never too terrible either. Good example of a movie where those things aren't nearly enough.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:27 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Forbidden Planet (1956)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/
Classic sci-fi film starring none other than a young Leslie Nielsen as the captain of a spaceship sent to a planet in the Altair system to see what has become of a science expedition sent there 20 years earlier. There he meets Dr. Morbius who has unlocked some of the planets secrets. The movie plays out very much like an extended episode of Star Trek The Original Series. Set designs are impressive and the special effects I guess were pretty good for the time - they certainly get the job done. Use of colour is well thought through - everything is bright and gaudy. Not too bad considering how old it is. The soundtrack is atrocious though - very shrill. If you're a fan of sci-fi, don't mind somewhat cheesy acting and effects and find the old Star Trek watchable, you could worse than Forbidden Planet .
6.5/10.

Yeah I would give it a 5 or 6. The 50s just wasn't ready for sci-fi yet. 50s popcorn is all about westerns and costume epics.

I love that movie, one of the reasons being the soundtrack, which I believe to be the first all-electronic soundtrack. The movie has some depths, too, being somewhat based on Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' and dealing with themes like consciousness vs. subconsciousness etc. In my opinion, it stands head and shoulders above other 1950ies sci-fi, but I concede that it resembles Star Trek a little (which it may have well influenced with Star Trek coming to the small screen roughly ten years later).

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:55 am
Second Unit Director

As for my recent viewings:

Full Metal Village (2006)
This German documentary by a Korean filmmaker will probably be difficult to get hold of for most members of this forum. If you are a fan of heavy metal (rock music, not the French comic books), it might be worth the effort to track it down, though. The film is about the small North German village of Wacken (population: 1,800), which annually hosts the purportedly world’s largest heavy metal festival (last year’s attendance: 80,000+). This makes for an interesting contrast, although the movie focusses on a few residents, who are to a greater or lesser extent affected by the festival, rather than the festival itself. At times, ‘Full Metal Village’ is a great watch and very funny, but overall, I found it a bit too whimsical in tone and too much in love with Terrence Malick-esque images of crops weaving in the wind. Above average: 6/10

Incidentally, why is it that heavy metal seems to be such a fertile ground for documentaries, particlarly compared to other styles of popular music? From the top of my head, I can’t come up with a non-metal related documentary comparable to ‘Metallica: Some Kind of Monster’, ‘Anvil: The Story of Anvil’ or ‘This is Spinal Tap’ (a mockumentary, of course).

47 Ronin (2013)
A fantasy action movie based on a Japanese legend about masterless samurai getting revenge for their disgraced master. The movie was critically savaged and tanked at the box office, but it isn’t quite as bad as it was made out to be. The main problem is the inexplicable decision to make this an English-language movie with a nearly all-Japanese cast. Clearly, the actors aren’t comfortable with their lines in a foreign language and the delivery is terrible. This also applies to the one international star of this movie, Keanu Reeves, playing a half demon/ half man/ all wooden character. Reeves gets a lot of stick for his acting, often enough unfairly, because he can actually be decent in the right role, but he deserves all the scorn heaped upon him for this non-performance. Bad acting alone wouldn’t make this a turkey, but the film plods along without generating much excitement and the special effects are mostly appalling. However, It would be unfair to disregard the lavish costume design and overall good-looking production design. Also, I found this Western fantasy version of ancient Japan somewhat interesting, although the story doesn’t require any supernatural elements and would probably work better as a straight samurai action flick. A Japanese language samurai action flick without a half demon Keanu (snort). 3/10

12 Years a Slave (2013)
The fact that this movie won best picture at the last Academy Awards goes to show that the Academy may take a lot of questionable decisions, but often gets it right, too(*): Steve McQueen’s adaptation of Solomon Northup’s account of having been abducted and enslaved to work on plantations in 19th century Louisiana is a masterpiece indeed. I thought that McQueen’s previous movies (‘Hunger’ and ‘Shame’) were very good, but you would have to like the style of European arthouse movies to truly appreciate them and there was always a certain distance to the characters. Here, he manages to tell a remarkable, involving and very moving human story without giving up on his uncompromising style. It’s a tough watch due to the tough subject matter, but even my wife, who wanted to watch light entertainment rather than a serious movie, was engrossed by this film. If you wanted to find a flaw in the film (I don’t), you could argue that the cameo by Brad Pitt takes you out of the moment (“Oh, it’s Brad Pitt!”), but he’s only in a brief scene in an otherwise superb film. 9/10

(*) Although , in addition to Lupita Nyong’o, Chiwetel Eijofor probably should have won for best actor and Michael Fassbender for best supporting actor. McQueen’s drection would also be worthy of an Academy Award, but I’m happy with Cuarón’s win for ‘Gravity’, which I liked even more.

Rio Grande (1950)
I am glad that I caught this on TV. I had vaguely planned to do a “John Ford month” in the near future and watch all films of his so-called “cavalry trilogy” (‘My Darling Clementine’, ‘Fort Apache’ and ‘Rio Grande’), but on the evidence of this movie, my rental fees would have been wasted. As in the other above-mentioned movies, John Wayne stars as the officer of a cavalry regiment in the Indian Wars. His estranged son, whom he hadn’t seen in twelve years, enlists in his regiment to prove his worth, and then Maureen O’Hara, playing Wayne’s estranged wife, shows up to convince their son to leave the cavalry. Meanwhile, Wayne’s character risks a court martial, because he crosses the Rio Grande and puts his unit under the command of a Mexican general in order to pursue stereotypically evil movie Apaches before they reach safe ground. That’s the plot. What this movie really is about is showing a cavalry regiment riding around Monument Valley while the soldiers sing a jaunty song. Oh boy, do they sing a lot in this movie. It’s almost a (bad) musical. As for the non-singing bits of this film, they might generously be described as old-fashioned in conception and execution. Less generously, the interaction between the characters, particularly between Maureen O’Hara and the actor playing her son, is filled with cheesy, cringe-inducing moments and the action is of the “Injuns attack settlers/soldiers and get shot off their horses” variety. I didn’t like this one at all. 3/10

RoboCop (2014)
I don’t remember much about the original Paul Verhoeven-directed ‘RoboCop’, but I remember liking its satirical tone and violent action. Consequently, I was a bit apprehensive about this remake, which surprisingly turned out to be all right. It’s faithful to the original, although I don’t remember the original Robocop having a family pre-robofication. This allows the 2014 movie to work as a metaphor for situations, in which families have to deal with one of them suffering severe injury. There are a number of references to prosthetics and how the need to use them affects a person. The film deals with this nicely at the beginning and also maintains a satirical edge throughout, lampooning corporate PR campaigns and biased media. I just wish that the filmmakers would have had the courage to follow through on the dramatic possibilities of the script rather than allowing the narrative to devolve into a standard action movie plot. It isn’t far removed from how I remember the progression of the plot of the original, but the remake gets tangled up in contradictory plot elements. More importantly, the action scenes are rubbish. There is a lot of camera movement and quick cutting, which fails to disguise that the action primarily consists of people (or robots) shooting at each other. If filmed without panache, that’s rather boring to watch. And because the movie is designed as an action movie rather than a drama, its failure to deliver exciting action setpieces must count against it. It is a better than average film, but it had the potential to be more. 6/10

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
Like the ‘RoboCop’ remake, ‘The Secret Life of Walter Mitty’ had the potential to be genuinely good or even very good, but loses its way about half way through and ends up being pleasant to watch but inconsequential. The movie, inspired by a famous short story, is about the eponymous Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller, also directing), who works in the photo archive of now-defunct life magazine and leads an uneventful, painfully ordinary and lonely life. He also regularly “zones out” and has vivid daydreams, in which he is performing outrageous heroics or cracks the right joke to embarass his obnoxious boss. When Life magazine is taken over and about to be closed down, Mitty is is supposed to deliver a spectacular photo negative by elusive adventurer-photographer Sean O’Connell (Sean Penn), which is meant to be used for the cover of the magazine’s final issue. The problem is that Mitty cannot find it. Encouraged by the tender beginnings of a romance with another office worker (Kristen Wiig) , he sets out to find O’Connell and obtain the missing negative.
If you like Ben Stiller’s brand of comedy, you’ll find plenty of laughs here, particularly during the daydreaming sequences. I liked that the movie wasn’t just trying to be a comedy or a romantic comedy, but that it seemed to engage with its central character and say something about the human condition as well. At least in the beginning. The problems start once Walter Mitty goes on his quest for the photographer. His adventures are so implausible and outrageous that, at first, I thought at that they would be revealed as an extended daydream at the end of the movie. However, it quickly becomes apparent that Mitty’s journey is to be accepted at face value. This just doesn’t work, because at the start of the film, the movie creates a conflict between Mitty’s dreary everyday life and his vivid imagination, which isn’t resolved at all. Even worse, the movie is cloyingly sentimental and increasingly so (emphasised by the terribly weedy soundtrack music). At the end of the film, I was downright angry at it. Still, it is a good-looking movie, entertaining while it moves along and, for the most part, funny. Better than mediocre, but not quite good. 6/10

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 am
Director

Quote:
watch all films of his so-called “cavalry trilogy” (‘My Darling Clementine’, ‘Fort Apache’ and ‘Rio Grande’)

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, not My Darling Clementine

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:03 pm
Critic

Unke wrote:

Rio Grande (1950)
I am glad that I caught this on TV. I had vaguely planned to do a “John Ford month” in the near future and watch all films of his so-called “cavalry trilogy” (‘My Darling Clementine’, ‘Fort Apache’ and ‘Rio Grande’), but on the evidence of this movie, my rental fees would have been wasted. As in the other above-mentioned movies, John Wayne stars as the officer of a cavalry regiment in the Indian Wars. His estranged son, whom he hadn’t seen in twelve years, enlists in his regiment to prove his worth, and then Maureen O’Hara, playing Wayne’s estranged wife, shows up to convince their son to leave the cavalry. Meanwhile, Wayne’s character risks a court martial, because he crosses the Rio Grande and puts his unit under the command of a Mexican general in order to pursue stereotypically evil movie Apaches before they reach safe ground. That’s the plot. What this movie really is about is showing a cavalry regiment riding around Monument Valley while the soldiers sing a jaunty song. Oh boy, do they sing a lot in this movie. It’s almost a (bad) musical. As for the non-singing bits of this film, they might generously be described as old-fashioned in conception and execution. Less generously, the interaction between the characters, particularly between Maureen O’Hara and the actor playing her son, is filled with cheesy, cringe-inducing moments and the action is of the “Injuns attack settlers/soldiers and get shot off their horses” variety. I didn’t like this one at all. 3/10

This made me laugh

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:12 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:

Rio Grande (1950)

This made me laugh

Apparently, John Ford contacted Wayne about shooting Rio Grande, and asked Wayne if he wanted to see a script. If the legend is true, Wayne replied "Why do I need a script? We've made the goddamn thing three times already. When do we start?"

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:24 pm
Director

Seen Fort Apache and Ribbon but not this one. Not a big fan of those first two cavalry flicks. When Ford is good, he's the best. When he's bad, he's basically nothing. Some of his movies barely even qualify as movies but some are the best films of their time. Hawks followed a similar pattern. Apache must be the best of the three. Mann remade its basic premise in Last Frontier (1956).

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:15 pm
Assistant Director

Rio 2: Overplotted to the extreme, "Rio 2" nevertheless improves upon its predecessor, which rivals "Tekkonkinkreet" as the worst animated film ever made. There's some genuinely funny stuff here (such as the Carnival auditions), but the stuff with Linda and Tulio brings the film to a dead halt since they're so boring and irritating. The best plot elements have been done better in other films, but it's not a terrible movie.

Chef: Boy, I can tell why this film has been the buzz of the indie film scene. It's a great character piece with terrific performances and interesting characters. A little too understated, perhaps, but I think it's a movie that will grow on me. Definitely going to pick it up on Blu Ray when it comes out.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Swimming Pool (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324133/
Viewed this one since it's on JBs "The Daily Twitter Recommendation".
Swimming Pool is a British/French film (surprisingly only a few lines are in French) about a bit of a burned out best-selling author (Charlotte Rampling) who on advice of her publisher goes to live in the publisher's French holiday house to get reinvigorated/inspired. There she meets the publisher's teenage daughter (Julie) who is more than a bit of a slapper. Julie's actions/stories inspire the author to write a story.
The ending is imo a cheat I simply couldn't buy into:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm presuming that Julie's (who is actually Julia) adventures were in fact merely the writer's fantasy most if not all of the time. i.e. Julie didn't actually kill anyone or have multiple sex partners etc. Basically a slightly different take on the "it was all just a dream" ending.

Swimming Pool is well acted and shot though (with plenty of nudity), and despite the lame ending I guess it's worthy of a recommendation.
7/10.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:07 am
Assistant Director

Ice Cream Man: 1/4. I guess I got what I asked for. I expected a really lame movie, and that's what I got. Bad storytelling, an unholy cross between a slasher movie and "Richie Rich," and bad acting. It's not scary, it's not funny, and it looks like shit. Kinda what you'd expect from a former porno director.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Ice Cream Man: 1/4. I guess I got what I asked for. I expected a really lame movie, and that's what I got. Bad storytelling, an unholy cross between a slasher movie and "Richie Rich," and bad acting. It's not scary, it's not funny, and it looks like shit. Kinda what you'd expect from a former porno director.

I thought that was a pretty entertaining horror film, for me it was worth watching just for Clint Howard's over-the-top performance.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:46 am
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
watch all films of his so-called “cavalry trilogy” (‘My Darling Clementine’, ‘Fort Apache’ and ‘Rio Grande’)

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, not My Darling Clementine

Ah, thanks. I tend to confuse titles on my rental queue whenever their German title has no resemblance to the original title. One of these two movies is called "Fist Law of the Praerie" in German, the other "The Satan's Captain". (('The Searchers' is "The Black Falcon" in German.)

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:25 am
Cinematographer

moviemkr7 wrote:
Chef: Boy, I can tell why this film has been the buzz of the indie film scene. It's a great character piece with terrific performances and interesting characters. A little too understated, perhaps, but I think it's a movie that will grow on me. Definitely going to pick it up on Blu Ray when it comes out.

People are probably going to overlook this post, just like audiences have been overlooking this movie. It's wonderful. Possibly my favorite of the year so far. The movie is a clear analogy for Favreau's experiences in Hollywood, but the movies are replaced with food. It's a simple movie and story done exceptionally well with something to say about creativity not necessarily needing to be incredibly complex. And it's really funny. The rare feel good movie that doesn't get cheesy or sappy and just revels in wonderfulness.

Go see it, Reelviews!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

People are probably going to overlook this post, just like audiences have been overlooking this movie. It's wonderful. Possibly my favorite of the year so far. The movie is a clear analogy for Favreau's experiences in Hollywood, but the movies are replaced with food. It's a simple movie and story done exceptionally well with something to say about creativity not necessarily needing to be incredibly complex. And it's really funny. The rare feel good movie that doesn't get cheesy or sappy and just revels in wonderfulness.

Go see it, Reelviews!

Well maybe I will!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:19 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Go see it, Reelviews!

Really? It looks horrible, but will check it out now after the praise above.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:26 am
Auteur

wisey wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Go see it, Reelviews!

Really? It looks horrible, but will check it out now after the praise above.
It's not playing anywhere near me, so i'll have to wait until DVD.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:34 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 771, 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777 ... 808  Next