Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775 ... 812  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Auteur

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Jordan Belfort wrote:
Repo Men (2010)

I didn't mind Repo Men, but it didn't exactly leave me breathless either. The overly complicated plot is a bit much for me to handle at times, and I got annoyed with the finale because it was much too complex for me. The best thing about this movie would have to be its quirky style and the amiable chemistry between Jude Law and Forest Whitaker. The ending is brain scrambler; see if you have better luck figuring it out. Jude Law has his moments as our quirky, eccentric hero. I'm not into him as many people are, but he can be a fantastic actor. Forrest Whitaker is great in his role, and plays off Jude Law well. Liev Schreiber is a good antagonist for the two men.
Bottom line Thoughtful, but too ambitious to even remotely fully get where it wants to be. This is a failure but an interesting one at that, worth a look, but not much more. Be sure to have your thinking cap in tip top order for this one.

6 / 10

I enjoyed that film up until the ending, which was a major ass-pull and felt like it was a last minute re-write.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:28 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Jordan Belfort wrote:
Repo Men (2010)
6 / 10

I enjoyed that film up until the ending, which was a major ass-pull and felt like it was a last minute re-write.

Truth. It was a moderately better made Repo: The Genetic Opera but the at least that film had a personality.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:03 am
Auteur

JJoshay wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jordan Belfort wrote:
Repo Men (2010)
6 / 10

Truth. It was a moderately better made Repo: The Genetic Opera but the at least that film had a personality.

I thought Repo! was mediocre at best, it had good ideas but in my eyes did not execute them well, Repo Men did a better job of keeping me engaged overall.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:06 am
Producer

Re-watch:

Return of the Jedi - *** out of ****

This was also a lot worse than I remember it being. I almost want to give it ** 1/2 just because so much of this movie is just so uninspired. But what saves this movie is a couple of great moments. The first is the beginning, when Luke and company save Han from Jabba the Hut. The other great moment is the final showdown between Luke and the Emperor, which was extremely well done and Darth's ending is even actually rather touching. Although due to not being able to see his face because of a mask, consequently, Vader's turn back to good feels a bit forced. But the scene still works beautifully nonetheless. I did like the scene where Luke tells Leia that they are siblings. It's a nice scene, as is the scene where she tells Han. But so much of the movie feels uninspired. This could have been a great epic tale but instead it is easily the weakest of ALL Star Wars movies and yes, that includes the prequels. So much of it just feels hokey and kind of lame. It all feels rather perfunctory. Heck, even John Williams' score is the weakest than it's ever been. Yes, the music that was used in previous Star Wars movie remains great, but the rest of it is actually rather meh.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:27 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Make Your Move (2013)

Only 2 things to say about the movie

1- A Cliché movie
2- A movie lacks logic

4 / 10

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:27 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jordan Belfort wrote:
Repo Men (2010)
6 / 10

If you add together the stars I gave both "Repo" movies, you get three stars

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:10 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Re-watch:

Return of the Jedi - *** out of ****

This was also a lot worse than I remember it being. I almost want to give it ** 1/2 just because so much of this movie is just so uninspired. But what saves this movie is a couple of great moments. The first is the beginning, when Luke and company save Han from Jabba the Hut. The other great moment is the final showdown between Luke and the Emperor, which was extremely well done and Darth's ending is even actually rather touching. Although due to not being able to see his face because of a mask, consequently, Vader's turn back to good feels a bit forced. But the scene still works beautifully nonetheless. I did like the scene where Luke tells Leia that they are siblings. It's a nice scene, as is the scene where she tells Han. But so much of the movie feels uninspired. This could have been a great epic tale but instead it is easily the weakest of ALL Star Wars movies and yes, that includes the prequels. So much of it just feels hokey and kind of lame. It all feels rather perfunctory. Heck, even John Williams' score is the weakest than it's ever been. Yes, the music that was used in previous Star Wars movie remains great, but the rest of it is actually rather meh.

I agree for the most part, I really dug this movie as a kid, but i've found it dosen't hold up that well, action-wise it's good, but story-wise it's rather silly at times and quite hokey.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:34 pm
Director

Escape From Tomorrow

This may be one of the greatest examples of guerrilla filmmaking I've ever seen. Set entirely at Disney World and filmed on location there, this is about a family man whose mind slowly begins to unravel during a vacation with his wife and kids. Escape From Tomorrow takes the joyful vibe of Disney World and turns it on its head, creating an experience that is surreal, a little disturbing, and unlike anything I've ever seen. This is a slightly experimental film, but it does have enough of a linear plot structure where it isn't totally dumbfounding.

I am stunned that Disney allowed this film to be released. They are notoriously litigious, and the whole film was shot without permission at their theme parks. Many Disney icons are recognizable; the Magic Kingdom, the Epcot sphere, Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, and several of the rides as well. There has to be some kind of copyright violation going on here. But we're all the better for it; this is on Netflix Instant now, and if you're interested in seeing something a bit offbeat, I'd encourage you to check it out.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:48 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Escape From Tomorrow

This may be one of the greatest examples of guerrilla filmmaking I've ever seen. Set entirely at Disney World and filmed on location there, this is about a family man whose mind slowly begins to unravel during a vacation with his wife and kids. Escape From Tomorrow takes the joyful vibe of Disney World and turns it on its head, creating an experience that is surreal, a little disturbing, and unlike anything I've ever seen. This is a slightly experimental film, but it does have enough of a linear plot structure where it isn't totally dumbfounding.

I am stunned that Disney allowed this film to be released. They are notoriously litigious, and the whole film was shot without permission at their theme parks. Many Disney icons are recognizable; the Magic Kingdom, the Epcot sphere, Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, and several of the rides as well. There has to be some kind of copyright violation going on here. But we're all the better for it; this is on Netflix Instant now, and if you're interested in seeing something a bit offbeat, I'd encourage you to check it out.

Disney allowed it mainly because they wanted to avoid the "Streisand Effect", they knew if they tried to block the film it would only get even more attention and would make them look bad, so they decided it was better to simply not comment on it.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:18 am
Director

Xmen: Days of Future Past

Thought this was okay. Good to see the X-Men back. I'd say this is the 4th best entry behind X2 and Last Stand and First Class. I found the concept of Last Stand to be more dramatic, and this one a bit overblown. It's very soapy and focuses on the First Class characters, which is okay I guess. But it feels largely like a rehash, although all xmen movies rehash each other essentially. We don't see the characters do anything they haven't done before. Their motivations haven't changed but are in fact stubbornly the same. Magneto does his thing, Xavier does his thing, Mystique does her thing, the prejudiced humans do their thing, Hugh Jackman is Hugh Jackman. This is a 14-year old broken record of a franchise. It doesn't build on what we've already seen. It rehashes it in a well-directed, impassioned manner, but that's all. And this time, the melodrama overwhelms the superpowers a bit. For me, that's a little disappointing.

Singer's sense of spectacle is just okay in my opinion. The 70s stuff is fun, but I think the opening sentinel fight is almost insanely bland.

There was ONE really fresh sequence of course involving Quicksilver, who is essentially a DC character (Flash). That sequence for me strongly evoked Superman Returns and gives a tiny hint of what a Singer-driven Justice League might have been like. I'll say one thing: I wish Singer had done Green Lantern.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:24 am
Assistant Director

Star Wars: Turn to the Dark Side
http://www.avclub.com/article/star-wars ... ne--204471
This would be the first "fan edit" of any film I have seen. Star Wars: Turn to the Dark Side condenses the three prequels down to single 2hr 47m film that focuses more on the fall of Anakin Skywalker and rise of Darth Vader thread (which is what Lucas originally proclaimed the prequels would be about). Basically the entire The Phantom Menace film is excised (the child Anakin is never shown here) with the film opening in the final light saber battle with Darth Maul. Jar Jar is thankfully also ALMOST completely cut, as is all the pointless and nonsensical politics. A more tightly focused film is certainly welcome, however focusing on Anakin imo is a major mistake. The reason: Hayden Christensen. Reediting (which is almost seamless) obviously can't magically make him a good actor. He's still just as painful, and it's jarring - especially with actors like Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman somehow managing to deliver arguably the worst dialogue ever filmed for a major production and almost making it work. And as if his bad acting isn't enough, Christensen also comes across (intentionally?) as extremely creepy and stalkerish (this is BEFORE he becomes officially evil, it has to be said), and it's simply not believable that Portman would be be even slightly interested in him romantically. Watching this it's clear to me that Christensen is the the key failure of the SW prequels and reediting the films to make a film even MORE about him is thus not really the way to go. Films like this rely on protagonists you can relate too, root for, are sympathetic with in some way. None of those can be applied to the character of Anakin Skywalker. I'd very much like to see a fan edit that instead mostly removes the Anakin Skywalker character and rather concentrates on the story of Obi Wan. That just might actually work.
5/10.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:20 am
Director

Saboteur (1942)

The opening is striking, but the middle section where the leads go on the run is rather trite. It works best in enclosed space suspense, such as when they are in the clutch of the enemy, or the famous Statue of Liberty ending. Middle-of-the-road Hitchcock, but still worth checking out. 6/10

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

I was thinking that this is a rather low-key effort from Hitchcock than usual, but somewhere around the time "Uncle Charlie" gave his niece a ring, it suddenly clicked for me. Uncle Charlie here is almost exactly like the same-named character as essayed by Matthew Goode in Stoker, the film this one inspires. I find the inspiration richer though, because whereas the girl and Uncle Charlie are almost a reflection of each other in the newer one, in this they are at opposites, despite a somewhat kinship attitude. It amplifies the tension and suspense, especially with two fantastic actors at the center of this increasingly creepy relationship. Joseph Cotten may get the showier role, which he carries out chillingly, but Teresa Wright is his equal in showing the believable mix of naive vulnerability and resourcefulness. Their cat-and-mouth conflict also gets a substantial boost by the subtext of setting it in an "all-American" small town, where such evil presence can creep in and roam around without setting off alarm, and Uncle Charlie's misogyny and misanthropy can be brushed off with only nervous laughter and light scorns. Shadow of a Doubt might not be one of Hitchcock's best works (as its reputation as the master's favorite may suggest), but it's probably his most disturbing up to this point. 8.5/10

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:32 am
Director

Not a fan of Shadow of a Doubt because for me it lacks Hitchcock's usual edge. There are no good set pieces and no real plot twists. It also lacks Hitchcock's usual humor. The scenes with the cop proposing to the girl are pretty painful. I think this concept is done a bit better in The Stepfather, though that's a loose variation.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:40 am
Director

Agree that the romantic subplot is very extraneous (there is a bizarre cut where it went from them dating to she abruptly exclaiming "you're a detective!", maybe to save time) and there are no big twists/set pieces, but I wouldn't count the latter against the film. It operates more on quietly sinister mood and paranoid feeling, with a dash of expressionism thrown in (usually when the two leads are alone together), so some of Hitchcock's usual trademarks aren't necessary.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:02 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Not a fan of Shadow of a Doubt because for me it lacks Hitchcock's usual edge. There are no good set pieces and no real plot twists. It also lacks Hitchcock's usual humor. The scenes with the cop proposing to the girl are pretty painful. I think this concept is done a bit better in The Stepfather, though that's a loose variation.

I don't care that much for it either. In addition to the things you already mentioned, its storyline lacks propulsion and the most interesting part thematically (the connections between the two Charlies) is downplayed -- there's no doubt by the end that he's "bad" and she's "good"

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 am

The Suspect (2014)

Non-stop fights
An action movie with a beat-up, maddening, adrenaline raises blood strongly
This movie is fantastic
Korean Cinema with Hollywood's equality
Korean cinema is exceptional

9 / 10

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 am
Assistant Director

Lupin the III: The Castle of Cagliostro: I am a huge, huge, HUGE fan of Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away is the best animated film ever made, and one of the finest films period, and he's got other films that are almost as good. Even if his film's don't work, they're still entertaining. His first film, "Lupin the III," based on the cult TV show, isn't very good. I think you had to be a fan of the comic series and the show in order to get a feel for the characters, since they were sketchily developed here. Still, it shows flashes of light-hearted fun and the climax is well done, but I can't recommend it. 2.5/4

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Knights of Badassdom (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1545660/
I'm going to have to try and find the words to describe this piece of shit. Oh, I just did. How an A-lister like Peter Dinklage found his way in something like this is truly beyond comprehension. No one should need money that badly. Especially when you've got a leading role in Game of Thrones. Anyway, so what we have here is a a terrible film about some friends who get their depressed "recently dumped by girlfriend" mate into one of those real-life RPG things to help get his mind off his ex. As you do. Anyway, so one of the friends brings along a spellbook he had purchased on e-bay and it turns out that it actually works, and he summons an actual demon. So this accidentally summoned real-life demon runs around killing people at an RPG festival. Much terrible acting, boredom, and preciously little of anything that could be described as comedy ensues.
And yes, seeing Summer Glau running around in a medieval costume is worth something. Not much, but something.
2.5/10.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:46 am

The Devil's Advocate (1997)

I must say, at first I never really wanted to see the movie after it got some pretty bad reviews, however, after going through the Keanu Reeves syndrome, I decided to watch this film, and I was glad that I did. Amongst all the characters, I was mostly pleased with Al Pacino's performance, as not only he plays a vicious role, but also his humorous comments were brilliant. Keanu's performance however was mediocre, I thought he could do better. As for Charlize Theron, as this was one of her first films, I think she did a very good job of playing such a serious role at the age of 22. This is a great thriller, and I recommend you watch it.

10 / 10

-----------------------------
Dead Man Down (2013)

This was unexpected , title steers you in a a different direction , i think who ever named this movie is responsible of putting it in big handicap position which this movie doesn't deserve . Most of the bad reviews are caused by this , people looking for a quick gangsta movie and being disappointed by the complexity and sheer humanity of this movie. The acting deserves a mention too , Farell was very compelling , hard to read in the beginning but managed to convey emotion which has become so rare these days, also great job done by the whole cast , credible and real acting and well written story. Definitely a movie i will put in my collection and watch it again with pleasure.

9 / 10

----------------------------
Closed Circuit (2013)

Closed Circuit is a good, although unexceptional, suspense movie. The movie has a strong start but a weak finale, and somewhere in the middle looses stream and starts plodding along to its inevitable conclusion. The story itself tests the limits of plausibility and features principal characters who have little warmth and fail to generate much empathy. The question of government duplicity is treated in an unimaginative manner and fails to generate any sense of concern or outrage. Yet the movie does entertain by generating a certain level of tension, albeit watered down. The question of cover up sustains the story and adds an element of tension. Yet there are no heroes which makes the ending anticlimactic. That certain scenes are set at a football game is unoriginal. Further, the alleged victim of a miscarriage of justice is hardly worthy of empathy and the same goes for his family, especially the fourteen year old son who belongs in juvenile detention. The acting is cheesy, the cinematography unspectacular, the story twists and turns predictable and the movie theme muddled. Yet, this movie should be watched because it dramatizes what happens when the truth is suppressed and transparency is discarded in favor of secrecy.

7 / 10

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:58 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Knights of Badassdom (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1545660/
I'm going to have to try and find the words to describe this piece of shit. Oh, I just did. How an A-lister like Peter Dinklage found his way in something like this is truly beyond comprehension. No one should need money that badly. Especially when you've got a leading role in Game of Thrones. Anyway, so what we have here is a a terrible film about some friends who get their depressed "recently dumped by girlfriend" mate into one of those real-life RPG things to help get his mind off his ex. As you do. Anyway, so one of the friends brings along a spellbook he had purchased on e-bay and it turns out that it actually works, and he summons an actual demon. So this accidentally summoned real-life demon runs around killing people at an RPG festival. Much terrible acting, boredom, and preciously little of anything that could be described as comedy ensues.
And yes, seeing Summer Glau running around in a medieval costume is worth something. Not much, but something.
2.5/10.

Some people take roles like these not for money but because the concept is interesting to them, Ben Kingsley for example admitted he took the role in Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne because he had always wanted to play a vampire.

Anyways I thought this film was actually quite fun, I particularly liked Summer Glau here.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 769, 770, 771, 772, 773, 774, 775 ... 812  Next