Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773 ... 808  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Monster's Ball (2001)

Monster's ball is a real and excellent drama.The plot it has and the execution of it are very intense.The level of intensity it has is really weird to see in a movie.The film is very realistic and it tells dramas of people without falling in the cheap sentimentalism.The cinematography is another great element of this movie.The performances are simply extraordinary.Halle Berry has the Academy Award very deserved.Billy Bob Thornton gives a perfect level of intensity to his character.Heath Ledger brings an excellent performance.The great Peter Boyle has an excellent and realistic performance.He plays so well his character of a bad guy that I hated his character.This is(no doubt)one of the best films of 2001.

10 / 10

Wed May 28, 2014 7:27 pm
Director

Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind (2002)

Saw this originally on DVD in the early 2000s. Wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Then while going through the five dollar DVD bin at my local Wal-Mart I came across a three movie DVD that contained it, Cop Land (my primary reason for getting it) and Hostage.

George Clooney's directorial debut earns points for taking risks alone. Most actors, when making their directorial maiden voyage, tend to chose safe material (IE: Mel Gibson in The Man Without A Face). Clooney takes on a Charlie Kaufman script based on an insane memoir and for the most part succeeds.

Sam Rockwell does pretty good as Chuck Barris. He's able to disappear into the role better than Johnny Depp would have, not having the same recognizability. Drew Barrymore is good. But her character is underdeveloped. Julia Roberts is mostly superfluous. Clooney makes an impression with the short screen time he's given.

Clooney's direction succeeds in some regards. The film looks great and is edited well. And paralleling trash TV with CIA assassins is an amusing approach.

The movie's primary flaw is that the tone is never right. It has elements of comedy and drama. But Clooney never manages to make them mesh together as well as they would have if say the Coen Brothers or David O Russell had helmed this. Reportedly, Clooney did a significant amount of re-writing to Kaufman's script and that might have something to do with the film having a schizophrenic feel in spots.

Not a bad debut. But better was to come from Clooney.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed May 28, 2014 11:36 pm
Assistant Director

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205537/
Chris Pine, obviously not content to play only a fake Captain Kirk, now also plays a fake Jack Ryan (technically a 2nd fake Jack Ryan). In an industry that knows no bounds for milking any and all IP it can get its hands on as long as money can be squeezed from the tit, perhaps this was to be expected (<cough> James Bond, Batman, Spider-Man, Conan, Robocop etc). The thing here is though is "Jack Ryan" genuinely an added-value IP? Is there anything "special" about this character? Is he, for example, an incredibly well-known figure in US/global pop-culture? I'd argue no, no he is not. As shown in this utterly generic Hollywood spy-action film which we have all seen foomfity times this is a purely a by the numbers production. Sure, it isn't boring per-se, these sort of films rarely are, but really haven't we all seen everything that Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit offers before? Salt and any of the James Bond films spring to mind. Not impressed.
6/10.

Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 am

Non-Stop (2014)

I honestly did not think that this film would be as good as it was. Had me at the edge of my seat all through the film,also kept me guessing. Some parts were so unexpected but was great. One of my favourites, definitely recommend non-stop to anyone that enjoys action films. Was hooked from the very beginning, what a great story line. Liam Neeson is also great as usual and plays such an inspiring character. Writers definitely did their research. In my opinion the ending of this film was not very good and could have been a lot more exciting to match the rest of the film however actors did fit the roles and overall a great film!

10 / 10

Thu May 29, 2014 11:16 am

In the Blood (2014)

Attachment:
in-the-blood.jpg
in-the-blood.jpg [ 22.47 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

If you've done everything possible on your bucket list, and are waiting around with nothing to do with your time before you die, watch this movie. There's as much wooden acting as Commando, but without the muscles. The story sucks, which is disappointing as it's ripped from others before yet still can't learn from any of those and make a decent go of it. Characterisation is appallingly poor. I'm not sure what the director was doing but clearly his focus had nothing to do with the characters and their acting in each scene. Maybe he was elsewhere on another movie at the time? It certainly comes across like it. Overall I found it wanting in every cinematic aspect - few redeeming qualities with which to call it a feature film. Other than length - they spin this out to the thick end of two hours. There's lots of killing and blood, however. And quite a bit of fighting, though boringly captured. Some others have mentioned MMA in their reviews. My view - forget martial arts here, the acronym in this effort stands for Mostly Mangled Acting. A good waste of time if you generally feel better about yourself from laughing at D grade movies.

3 / 10

Thu May 29, 2014 7:07 pm
Director

All That Heaven Allows (1955)

Story as melodramatic as all get out, but there is a sensitivity to the couple's portrayal that is pleasantly surprising. Jane Wyman is excellent, and Rock Hudson is solid in the role, although I wish his character is a little more nuanced or fleshed out. Same goes with everyone on the opposite side of the two leads. The real star in this though is the cinematography and Sirk's direction, exploding with lush, vibrant colors and eye-arresting compositions (most striking to me is the scene where the daughter broke down in her room, and the window cast glorious rainbow shade on her and the bed). The visual alone fully absorbs my interest throughout. 7.5/10

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Somehow I got through childhood and teen without ever seeing this, despite my love for many characters and Robert Zemeckis. The technology isn't seamless; there will be moments where the interaction doesn't quite mesh, or when the actors gesture in the wrong direction or timing. But the exuberance of being a first, with all the need to operate at full creativity fueling it, shines through and matters more (Toy Story, Jurassic Park). The endearingly classic cartoon antics blend remarkably well with the more adult material, such as noir trappings, sly innuendos, and violence (really surprised at the PG rating). Roger Rabbit himself can grate at times, but Bob Hoskins -- I believe this is the first film where I notice him -- gives an unexpectedly nuanced performance that works both as a fully developed individual and as a character in this bizarre universe. He gives the film its heart and purpose. 8.5/10

Fri May 30, 2014 3:18 am
Auteur

Jordan Belfort wrote:
In the Blood (2014)

Attachment:
in-the-blood.jpg

If you've done everything possible on your bucket list, and are waiting around with nothing to do with your time before you die, watch this movie. There's as much wooden acting as Commando, but without the muscles. The story sucks, which is disappointing as it's ripped from others before yet still can't learn from any of those and make a decent go of it. Characterisation is appallingly poor. I'm not sure what the director was doing but clearly his focus had nothing to do with the characters and their acting in each scene. Maybe he was elsewhere on another movie at the time? It certainly comes across like it. Overall I found it wanting in every cinematic aspect - few redeeming qualities with which to call it a feature film. Other than length - they spin this out to the thick end of two hours. There's lots of killing and blood, however. And quite a bit of fighting, though boringly captured. Some others have mentioned MMA in their reviews. My view - forget martial arts here, the acronym in this effort stands for Mostly Mangled Acting. A good waste of time if you generally feel better about yourself from laughing at D grade movies.

3 / 10

I personally found this film to be rather enjoyable, I usually like films with MMA starts in them, and this was no exception, I thought Carano's acting was solid, and the action scenes were well-executed and exciting enough to keep my attention. The film may not be high art, but for me it accomplished what it set out to do pretty well.

Fri May 30, 2014 12:26 pm
Director

Saw more than a dozen new movies in the past week, won't post about all of them at once just now. For for starters...

Maniac Cop

This movie is awesome. Surprised I hadn't seen it before. It's not just a cheesy B-concept, it's legitimately bothersome stuff. Couple months ago in my hometown of Tampa a retired cop shot someone in a movie theater. In my opinion, a terrific thriller whose whodunit aspects dont' disappoint either.

Fri May 30, 2014 2:22 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Saw more than a dozen new movies in the past week, won't post about all of them at once just now. For for starters...

Maniac Cop

This movie is awesome. Surprised I hadn't seen it before. It's not just a cheesy B-concept, it's legitimately bothersome stuff. Couple months ago in my hometown of Tampa a retired cop shot someone in a movie theater. In my opinion, a terrific thriller whose whodunit aspects dont' disappoint either.

Agreed wholeheartedly, I would highly recommend you check out the sequels as well.

Fri May 30, 2014 2:47 pm
Director

Will do.

Detective

1985 Godard. Loved it. Much more linear a narrative than is typical of the later Godard movies. It's a murder mystery, but also goes beyond that. Minority Report pays a few different homages to this movie. For anyone curious about post-60s Godard, this is a great place to start.

The Company

Altmans penultimate work. It's really good, but doesn't seem to have much point beyond reviving Altmans favorite genre. Even by Altman standards, this movie is absurdly passive and detached. The ballet sequences are visually stimulating and the behind the scenes stuff holds interest.

3 Women

Often called Altmans version of Persona, this is all about Sissy Spacek, utilizing her fascinating weirdness in much the same way as Carrie. It's a fascinating watch, dreamy and with the camera always active. A weird side to Altman that I haven't seen before.

Fri May 30, 2014 4:01 pm
Director

Images

An obscure Altman. It's about a woman with schizophrenia, and that's all you really need to know. Gorgeous cinematography from Vilmos Zsigmond, this one always held my interest. I think of Altman a bit differently now. I can now see the Lynchian aspects of Long Goodbye and even the stranger aspects of Nashville and McCabe.

Night of the Demons

1988 Halloween movie. Some really slow and dull spots. Acting not terrible though, and it has a dark romantic atmosphere that got to me. The killings feel kind of sad, which is as it should be with a horror film.

Dolls

Fun for the most part. Good death scenes, good dry humor. Just very anti-climactic in the end. Almost feels more like Kenan and Kel's Halloween than real horror. I had fun with it though. Much better than Robot Jox or From Beyond.

Fri May 30, 2014 4:16 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

Maniac Cop

Agreed wholeheartedly, I would highly recommend you check out the sequels as well.

YES! I remember seeing this many, many years ago. Good times.

Fri May 30, 2014 4:58 pm
Director

Killer klowns from Outer Space

Not a fan of this. Too self-consciously silly for its own good.

Pumkinhead

A disappointment. Strong, interesting premise, somewhat weak execution. Although the monster is itself well-realized.

Psycho Cop

Cheap ripoff of Maniac Cop. Not worth the trouble.

Society

The first two acts of the film are well done. Effective body snatchers style paranoia. The final act feels gratuitous and overdone to me though. Kind of a gross movie but effective and interesting at times.

Moontrap

A gem IMO. As cheap as they come, though not TOO far from the average star trek. Walter Koenig delivers an
American accent so awkwardly that at first I thought he really was Russian. This film has a B movie appeal which I like a lot. Interesting set design, and such unrelenting dryness that for me becomes a virtue.

Fri May 30, 2014 5:20 pm
Director

MGamesCook wrote:

Maniac Cop

It has been years sing I've seen Maniac Cop. Bill Lustig also made Maniac, which was an unspeakably nasty film, and absolutely essential for lovers of trash cinema.

Fri May 30, 2014 5:28 pm
Auteur

I personally enjoyed Psycho Cop and I wouldn't really call it a rip-off considering that it came out the very same year as Maniac Cop, so it's hard to tell which film was scripted and filmed first. It's not a great slasher film, but it's entertaining for what it is, the sequel is better though so i'd recommend you see that one.

Fri May 30, 2014 5:40 pm

The Double (2013)

based on the novella by Fyodor Dostoevsky
After watching this movie and reading some insight about the ending, I understood everything more and now I'm sure that I really liked this movie! It had excellent performances from Jesse Eisenberg as both Simon and James, but also Mia Wasikowska was splendid as always. It had a very "unique" story in a way, about individualism and about finding your true self, that was played really well and with a lot of meaning, not only visually but also character-wise. I really liked the script and the whole story, even though at the beginning it was a little slow, it picked up very fast as soon as the doppelgänger appeared on-screen. Also, the style of image was extremely visually appealing and perfect for the movie, it was one of my favorite things about it. Overall, I liked a lot this movie, even more than I thought it would. Because not only has some comedy, but it also has some romance and suspense, it is a very complete film that like many others has it's flaws, but they weren't as important as the final product.

10 / 10

Sat May 31, 2014 11:37 am
Director

Le Week-End (2014)

Jesse and Celine: The Senior Year, basically. Lindsay Duncan even resembles what I thought an older Julie Delpy would look like so much it's eerie, and a lot of their dynamics and problems are similar. Not as piercing or perceptive as the Before trilogy, and it gets a little too conventional later in the proceedings, but it is pleasant and true enough. Great performances elevate the film. Both Jim Broadbent and Duncan are pitch-perfect in their roles, and their chemistry and interaction are a joy to watch. 7.5/10

Proxy (2014)

A deceptive psychological thriller that's sure to be divisive, but I dig both the genre and what it's doing, so I really liked it quite a bit. It is one of those films that really shouldn't be indulged in details too much, so I'll only say that it's about a pregnant girl who loses her baby in a vicious assault, and then a kind and friendly encounter at the following support group turns out to be not what it seems. It is also a film that will be debated if some of the technical and story elements are just ineptitude, or deliberately designed that way, of which I fall into the latter camp. Its homage to Hitchcock and De Palma, both on story and style level, is really quite fun and often exhilarating. It is a little long-winded at two hours and will not be for all, but if you like the genre and the directorial styles the film takes homage from, you should check it out. 8/10

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - 9/10

Thoughts in the movie thread.

Sat May 31, 2014 1:57 pm
Assistant Director

Joe (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382396/
Nicolas Cage proves he's still genuinely an excellent actor when he wants to be in this gritty film about an alcoholic man who takes a young boy under his wing. Based on a novel by Larry Brown, the movie is set deep in rural redneck country - similar in style (and substance) to Mud and Winter's Bone.
Ticks all the boxes for me basically: well directed (David Gordon Green), top quality performances by the entire cast (especially Cage), well shot, and a solid story.
8/10.

Sat May 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Sling Blade (1996)

I can't believe it took me so long to finally see this movie and I must admit I had never seen any work by Billy Bob Thornton. Without a doubt, Sling Blade is one of the finest pieces of work ever put on film. Billy Bob's performance as Karl Childers is absolutely riveting! I found myself completely fascinated by this character. The entire ensemble of characters are superbly cast. The child actor who plays Frank is talented beyond his years. This story unfolds in many layers, with friendship and love woven between bigotry and cruelty. It begins with a somewhat horrible description of the double murder of Karl's mother and her lover, but yet is tastefully done with words, no cheap views of blood and gore. It shows how the lack of parental love and understanding can form an individual, but also how the human heart can still have the capacity to be open, as in the relationship between Karl and Frank. You'll feel completely drawn into this little family with its pain and problems.
This is a masterpiece of superb acting, writing and directing! If you haven't seen it yet, please don't deny yourself the opportunity of viewing one of the most amazingly touching movies you will ever see. Even in the company of great performances by Tom Hanks and Dustin Hoffman, I think Sling Blade leaves Forrest Gump and Rain Man in the dust!

10 / 10

Sat May 31, 2014 8:12 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Jordan Belfort wrote:
In the Blood (2014)

Attachment:
in-the-blood.jpg

3 / 10

I personally found this film to be rather enjoyable, I usually like films with MMA starts in them, and this was no exception, I thought Carano's acting was solid, and the action scenes were well-executed and exciting enough to keep my attention. The film may not be high art, but for me it accomplished what it set out to do pretty well.

I haven't seen In the Blood yet but I liked what I've seen from Carano so far. She was good in Haywire and although she didn't really have anything to do, she was good in Fast & Furious 6 as well.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:34 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 767, 768, 769, 770, 771, 772, 773 ... 808  Next