Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765 ... 802  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Introduced last movie watched
Jordan Belfort wrote:
Genius in Sodom

Pasolini believed that the sadist, through the new capitalism leads to fascism.
I did not enjoy watching Salo
but i believe Salo is the truth
And here’s point that Pasolini didn’t make Salo for us to just enjoy it; in fact he made it for us to BILIEVE that the Fascism was a filthy and dirty REGIME
My rating: 10 of 10

Welcome, Jordan! I normally try to ease people into Reelviews a bit, but I'm going to come right out and say that I think Salo is one of, if not the, worst movies ever made.

Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Welcome, Jordan! I normally try to ease people into Reelviews a bit, but I'm going to come right out and say that I think Salo is one of, if not the, worst movies ever made.

I was looking forward to this all afternoon.

Fri May 09, 2014 12:12 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Jordan Belfort wrote:
Genius in Sodom

Pasolini believed that the sadist, through the new capitalism leads to fascism.
I did not enjoy watching Salo
but i believe Salo is the truth
And here’s point that Pasolini didn’t make Salo for us to just enjoy it; in fact he made it for us to BILIEVE that the Fascism was a filthy and dirty REGIME
My rating: 10 of 10

hi, JamesKunz

Many who have seen "Salo", found it too repulsive, too disgusting, and too offensive. While, unfortunately, those sadistic scenes are, exactly, the parts that have drawn the attention of most critics and most serious audiences of cinema. Scenes which represents the sadistic behaviors of our human society that happens every day in many parts of the world. In other words, it is not the movie, rather, it is our racist and sadistic behaviors that is disgusting and offensive. Behaviours which has been portrayed in the frame of cinema.

Fri May 09, 2014 5:23 am
Critic

Jordan Belfort wrote:

hi, JamesKunz

Many who have seen "Salo", found it too repulsive, too disgusting, and too offensive. While, unfortunately, those sadistic scenes are, exactly, the parts that have drawn the attention of most critics and most serious audiences of cinema. Scenes which represents the sadistic behaviors of our human society that happens every day in many parts of the world. In other words, it is not the movie, rather, it is our racist and sadistic behaviors that is disgusting and offensive. Behaviours which has been portrayed in the frame of cinema.

Doesn't hold. Not as far as I'm concerned. There has to be a reason behind the depravity. And, yes, I know that the director claims the movie is about Italian Fascism, but I don't see it. There's a twenty minute sequence in this movie which involves people eating shit. The movie absolutely revels in it. You can try to tell me that it's all a complicated metaphor for bad canned food Italians had to eat during the war, but I don't see it at all.

The Marquis de Sade was a disgusting man, and I say that as someone who is about as liberal with sexuality as one can be. 120 Days of Sodom is about men reveling in their utmost depravities, not any overriding social concerns. Taking this story and leaving it essentially unchanged, telling the audience it's set in Fascist Italy (deep!) and filming it with loving detail does not equal a great film. It equals an abominable one.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 am
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
120 Days of Sodom is about men reveling in their utmost depravities, not any overriding social concerns. Taking this story and leaving it essentially unchanged, telling the audience it's set in Fascist Italy (deep!) and filming it with loving detail does not equal a great film. It equals an abominable one.

It's like the director of The Human Centipede saying the whole thing is a metaphor for WWII. Whether it's true or not, it comes off as a way to shoehorn in some depth in an effort to stop the movie from being written off as...whatever it's probably going to be written off as.

And let's face it, if true, these are pretty silly ways to make your points.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched

Good movie idea, but it will not be breeding
Nicolas Cage in Tokarev okay, but not great
And in general I do not invite anyone to watch this film
My rating: 6 out of 10

Fri May 09, 2014 10:07 am
Assistant Director

Watched the first 30 or thereabouts minutes of Gravity on a friend's 3D TV and it wasn't so bad. The first "shot" is 13 minutes and reminded me of the 'hotel sequence' in Enter The Void what with all the CGI, camera spinning, general disorientation. That was cool. I'll see that final hour at some point.

Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 pm
Producer

PeachyPete wrote:
It's like the director of The Human Centipede saying the whole thing is a metaphor for WWII. Whether it's true or not, it comes off as a way to shoehorn in some depth in an effort to stop the movie from being written off as...whatever it's probably going to be written off as.

This will go down in history as the funniest oblique Dark Knight reference ever made.

Fri May 09, 2014 4:36 pm
Assistant Director

Persona (1966)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060827/
Considered by many critics (and the auteur himself) as Ingmar Bergman's masterpiece. Certainly the film is Ingmar at his artiest. The movie open with a brief series of unrelated images (a tarantula, an erect penis, a lamb being slaughtered, a crucifixion), and I had a brief "uh oh" moment. Fortunately, the rest the film is mostly coherent. Mostly. The plot revolves around a famous actress (Elisabet) who has taken it upon herself to completely stop speaking. A full-time nurse (Alma) is employed to look after her, even though Elisabet is healthy in every other way, including mentally (according to a psychiatrist). Anyway, so Alma looks after her and they become extremely close, with Alma telling Elisabet very personal experiences - I guess it helps when the listener never talks back ;-). The final act seems a bit abstract, with an apparent "merging" of Alma and Elisabet???
As expected from Ingmar Bergman, the film is wonderfully shot. The images are often minimalistic, with sharp contrasts and a meticulous attention to light and shadow. The result is often jaw-dropping in its stark beauty. While not quite the best Ingmar I have seen so far, it's definitely better than The Seventh Seal.
8/10.

This film forms part of JamesKunz May challenge as a film made before 1970. Of course, I wanted to see it anyway.

Fri May 09, 2014 4:50 pm
Assistant Director

Frontier(s) The most EXTREME horror film I've ever seen. Horrifically violent and intense, lots of atmosphere without being ostentatious, effective performances and effective use of the shaky cam (for once). Absolutely, unequivocally, not for the squeamish.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri May 09, 2014 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

nitrium wrote:
Persona (1966)
The movie open with a brief series of unrelated images (a tarantula, an erect penis, a lamb being slaughtered, a crucifixion), and I had a brief "uh oh" moment. Fortunately, the rest the film is mostly coherent.

I can definitely relate to this. In Ebert's appreciation of the film, he suggests simply taking the abstract stuff literally, treating it like you'd treat a dream sequence in any other movie. Retroactively, for me, this does make the self-consciously "arty" segments of the film much more palatable. Still, I think it's obvious that the film's real quality lies in the simple one-on-one scenes with the actors.

Fri May 09, 2014 5:04 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Doesn't hold. Not as far as I'm concerned. There has to be a reason behind the depravity. And, yes, I know that the director claims the movie is about Italian Fascism, but I don't see it. There's a twenty minute sequence in this movie which involves people eating shit. The movie absolutely revels in it. You can try to tell me that it's all a complicated metaphor for bad canned food Italians had to eat during the war, but I don't see it at all.

The Marquis de Sade was a disgusting man, and I say that as someone who is about as liberal with sexuality as one can be. 120 Days of Sodom is about men reveling in their utmost depravities, not any overriding social concerns. Taking this story and leaving it essentially unchanged, telling the audience it's set in Fascist Italy (deep!) and filming it with loving detail does not equal a great film. It equals an abominable one.

As you know, I'm one of Salo's defenders. The shit-eating scene is in part a critique of capitalism. I say in part because there are a lot of different ideas in this film, and everything is a metaphor. That is to me what makes Salo so fascinating - Pasolini refuses to meet you halfway. I also recognize that makes the film maddening for others.

I'll just add that it is important to try to view Salo through a pro-Marxist lens. This is difficult, especially for American viewers, since from an early age we're taught that everything about Marx was bad. But Pasolini was a hardcore Marxist, and understanding his political beliefs (and Marxism in general) is essential to understanding Salo. I don't claim to know everything Pasolini was trying to say with this film; it's a movie that requires numerous viewings to decipher, and it's not a pleasant film to watch. So though I greatly admire it, it is not a film I frequently watch.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:16 pm
Producer

Mark III wrote:
Watched the first 30 or thereabouts minutes of Gravity on a friend's 3D TV and it wasn't so bad. The first "shot" is 13 minutes and reminded me of the 'hotel sequence' in Enter The Void what with all the CGI, camera spinning, general disorientation. That was cool. I'll see that final hour at some point.

You'll want to seek out a 3D TV. It's a film that is absolutely cries out to be seen in three dimensions.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 pm
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Frontier(s) The most EXTREME horror film I've ever seen. Horrifically violent and intense, lots of atmosphere without being ostentatious, effective performances and effective use of the shaky cam (for once). Absolutely, unequivocally, not for the squeamish.

You think that's extreme? It's nothing compared to "A Serbian Film", which is availible on Youtube if you're interested.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 am
Assistant Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Mark III wrote:

You'll want to seek out a 3D TV. It's a film that is absolutely cries out to be seen in three dimensions.

I wouldn't see it any other way.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:48 am
Gaffer

Vexer wrote:
You think that's extreme? It's nothing compared to "A Serbian Film", which is availible on Youtube if you're interested.

I simply just couldn't care the very slightest for A Serbian Film. And I'm not viewing it again for sure.

Sat May 10, 2014 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Odd thing about Hobson's Choice. I had problems with all three of the lead performances, sometimes I have trouble with the editing, but I love the movie anyway. It has some scenes that couldn't be done better, and it has an amazing bit of physical comedy where Charles Laughton, playing totally drunk, pulls back, and runs up a flight of stairs, staggering all the way.

This film is what might happen if David Lean directed a Ealing comedy. (He did direct; it's one of his few pure comedies. It's miles better than Blithe Spirit, which, amazingly, is a David Lean film.)

If you're not familiar with it, Hobson (Laughton) is a successful boot shop owner who tries to run his three daughters lives and dominate his employees. Things come to a head when he tries to find husbands for his two younger daughters and discovers he has to pay dowries. And he is sure as hell not going to pay dowries. The oldest daughter, Maggie (Brenda De Banzie), is thirty, and obviously is over the hill and has to keep running the shop.

Maggie is having none of this. A great reason for the shop's success is Will Mossop (John Mills), who is illiterate, meek, and the most adept bootmaker in Manchester. Maggie decides that her way out is to marry Mossop, and pretty much browbeats him into marriage. (No dowry needed, either.)This is less difficult than it should be, but it takes a while for the easily dominated Mossop to realize that perhaps he's fallen into a good deal, and a bit longer for Maggie to make him into a man. It takes a lot of education, but well before the end, you realize that perhaps these two are the salvation of each other, and Hobson as well.

Major themes are feminism, or what passed for it around 1900, and the temperance movement. (Hobson is a chronic alcoholic, which plays a major role in the film. Maggie has all his strengths without the alcoholism, but with two X chromosomes.)

The film is in the Criterion Collection, and, if you get it from them, I recommend you view it again with the commentary, which was very well done. (8.5 of 10)

Sun May 11, 2014 1:50 am
Assistant Director

Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/
Back in the day, I was actually a bit of a metaler, being a fan of groups such as Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax etc. I can't say I ever heard of Anvil though. Which was apparently their problem. While being one of the pioneers of heavy/thrash metal, the Canadian band somehow failed to hit the big time.
Anvil: The Story of Anvil is a documentary about how Anvil, that remarkably are still around 25 years later, is still trying to strike it big in a market where their type of metal has increasingly become niche at best. It's equal parts tragic and endearing - their perseverance is remarkable. The documentary presents Anvil as good, honest folks (especially lead singer "Lips") - that despite all their best efforts have never quite found an audience and still can't. The film reminded me of a sort of real-life version of This is Spinal Tap - there is even a scene where an amplifier is turned up to "11". A solid watch, especially if you're a metal-head (or ex metal-head).
6.5/10.

Sun May 11, 2014 3:03 am
Producer

Watching "Saving Mr. Banks" again, and I may have underestimated it. One of the best films of 2013. I was seriously underrating Paul Giamatti, who couldn't have been better.

Sun May 11, 2014 4:33 am
Cinematographer

The Ruins What a dumb, stupid film. Not even the fact that I just happened to catch it on TV stopped it from feeling boring and stupid. It's not that it's badly acted or directed, both of which are serviceable if anything. Even the premise, as silly as it might seem, could've been worked on, but it's the fact that the script is so uneventful and the execution feels so lame that you just can't help wondering why they made it. Not much else to say. Grade: D+

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16032 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765 ... 802  Next