Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762 ... 783  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I think Rhona is a pretty good actress and I somewhat enjoyed the film, it wasn't as bad as the trailers made it look, but as far as werewolf films go, the Howling films were better as a whole(except for New Moon Rising).

I like Rhona Mitra as well. Though I haven't seen Skinwalkers, but funny enough, I did see another movie with her the other night. It's called Stolen about a cop, played by Mad Men's Jon Hamm, whose kid was abducted and is investigating the abduction of another child from the late 1950's, whose remains are found in a construction area. I found the movie to be very compelling with strong performances from Hamm, Lucas, Van Der Beek, Chastain, Mitra and every one else. Good movie. Definitely a 3 star movie or a 7/10.

Don't get me wrong, I too like Rhona Mitra. Fortunately it looks like she's back into TV where she is hopefully better utilised than her films: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0593961/
Looking at her imdb listing for other movies, I have seen Doomsday, which is about a 5/10 (a lot better than Skinwalkers), but nonetheless hardly fitting a The Practice/Boston Legal alumni. I think it perhaps boils down to her having made some dubious career choices as opposed to a lack of talent.

Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I think Rhona is a pretty good actress and I somewhat enjoyed the film, it wasn't as bad as the trailers made it look, but as far as werewolf films go, the Howling films were better as a whole(except for New Moon Rising).

I like Rhona Mitra as well. Though I haven't seen Skinwalkers, but funny enough, I did see another movie with her the other night. It's called Stolen about a cop, played by Mad Men's Jon Hamm, whose kid was abducted and is investigating the abduction of another child from the late 1950's, whose remains are found in a construction area. I found the movie to be very compelling with strong performances from Hamm, Lucas, Van Der Beek, Chastain, Mitra and every one else. Good movie. Definitely a 3 star movie or a 7/10.

Don't get me wrong, I too like Rhona Mitra. Fortunately it looks like she's back into TV where she is hopefully better utilised than her films: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0593961/
Looking at her imdb listing for other movies, I have seen Doomsday, which is about a 5/10 (a lot better than Skinwalkers), but nonetheless hardly fitting a The Practice/Boston Legal alumni. I think it perhaps boils down to her having made some dubious career choices as opposed to a lack of talent.

Eh I found her choices decent, I thought Doomsday was a kick-ass film.

Thu May 01, 2014 4:11 am
Producer

nitrium wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I can agree with this. Although I liked her performance in Doomsday, the movie itself was mediocre. And I definitely enjoyed her chemistry with James Spader in the first season of Boston Legal. I actually rather missed her when she left the show in it's second season.

Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 am
Auteur

The only film of hers I would call "mediocre" is Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans, that movie was rather dull and uninspired, Rhona was the only reason I sat through it.

Thu May 01, 2014 4:27 am
Producer

I actually liked Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. In fact, I'm a big fan of the Underworld franchise although I was disappointed with Awakening.

Movies that Mitra has done that I like: Shooter, The Life of David Gale, Highwayman, Stolen, Underworld 3.

Movies that Mitra has done that I didn't care for: Hollow Man, Doomsday, The Number 23.

Thu May 01, 2014 4:34 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I actually liked Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. In fact, I'm a big fan of the Underworld franchise although I was disappointed with Awakening.

Movies that Mitra has done that I like: Shooter, The Life of David Gale, Highwayman, Stolen, Underworld 3.

Movies that Mitra has done that I didn't care for: Hollow Man, Doomsday, The Number 23.

Awakening I really enjoyed, felt like a massive improvement over Rise Of The Lycans.

Enjoyed Hollow Man for the most part(though her role in that one was so small I had no clue she was even in the film until now), Life Of David Gale I found rather weak due to how badly the plot was handled(let's just say I agree with parts of Ebert's review, mainly how the film's overall message was undermined by the twist).

Doomsday I really enjoyed, one of the best times I ever had at a theater.

Number 23 was rather average, for me it proved that Jim Carrey is not well-suited for thrillers, though Mitra was enough to keep me watching until the end at least.

Agreed on Stolen and Highwaymen.

Rhona was also pretty good in Seperation City and Get Carter.

Thu May 01, 2014 5:50 am
Cinematographer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I think it's a good film, but at the same time it's not really a movie I want to see more then once due to how depressing it is.

One of the few times I agree 100% with Vexer. It's a fantastically made film. But I doubt I will be watching it again anytime soon. I'm not sure why really. It's not necessarily because of the harrowing subject matter (I've watched Precious multiple times and Blue Velvet is one of my Top 10 movies of all-time). But for some reason, once was enough for me with Requiem.

I'm in with these guys for this movie. Well made, well acted, but far too depressing for me to really appreciate.

Thu May 01, 2014 6:08 am
Director

Under the Skin (2014)

The first half of otherworldly, absolutely terrifying abstraction finally gave way to a more conventional, yet still hauntingly affecting narrative. I walked out of this dazed a bit, its alien interpretation of our world's mundane visuals and human's social cues staying with me past the theater's exit. Loved how Glazer's steely direction and Levi's skin-crawling soundtrack combined to create this effect. And Scarlett Johansson is so superbly vacant, with only the tiniest hints of something settling insides her as the film goes on. What a contrast with Her's heartfelt voice.

Thu May 01, 2014 6:24 am
Critic

Vexer wrote:

Doomsday had potential, but it spent too much time homaging other films and not enough time making its own. I've seen Mad Max and Aliens. I love them. Glad you love them too, Neil. Now let's make a new film!

Thu May 01, 2014 9:48 am
Critic

CasualDad wrote:
Well made, well acted, but far too depressing for me to really appreciate.

That makes about as much sense to me as "water is dry."

Thu May 01, 2014 9:48 am
Second Unit Director

FilmFanJaimeR wrote:
Steven wrote:
I'll comment since I watched this for the first time last night. I agree wholeheartedly with Kunz, I was absolutely astonished. The editing frenzy created a desperate, nightmarish atmosphere. It takes full advantage of the medium, telling the story in a way that it could only be told through film. I loved it, along with Pi which I watched directly prior to it.

I couldn't agree more. It's rather uneasy to return to a masterpiece much like this one. But in particular, I was deeply moved by the performance of Ellen Burstyn. I'm hoping it's not just me on this, but I thought that she deserved the Oscar for this movie that year when she was nominated. And I still need to see Pi once I get a chance.

Well since Bjork wasn't nominated, then yeah, Burstyn should have won. I also think Jennifer Connelly was astonishingly fantastic, and still don't know how she got overlooked for an Oscar nomination. This was also the first movie in which Jared Leto gave a worthwhile performance, and Aronofsky deserves some kind of special award for getting noteworthy dramatic work out of Marlon Wayans. Great work all around, but yeah it's such an assault on the senses visually, aurally (Mansell's score became an instant classic), and contains one of the most incredibly edited sequences I've ever seen.

Thu May 01, 2014 10:49 am
Director

It's hard for me to sympathize with someone who brought their own suffering upon themselves. Burstyns character is sympathetic. The other three, frankly, get what they deserve. It's not like Casualties of War where a Vietnamese girl undergoes the worst horror imagineable, totally unprovoked and a 100% victim. None of the Requiem characters are victims in that sense.

Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
It's hard for me to sympathize with someone who brought their own suffering upon themselves.

Most of our suffering is brought upon ourselves in one way or another.

Thu May 01, 2014 12:36 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
It's hard for me to sympathize with someone who brought their own suffering upon themselves.

Most of our suffering is brought upon ourselves in one way or another.

I just named an example in which that's clearly not the case. Man's inhumanity to a fellow man is more interesting to me than one man's inhumanity to himself. Sadism makes for darker, more compelling drama than masochism IMO.

Thu May 01, 2014 12:50 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Doomsday had potential, but it spent too much time homaging other films and not enough time making its own. I've seen Mad Max and Aliens. I love them. Glad you love them too, Neil. Now let's make a new film!

I personally didn't mind the homages and I honestly prefered Doomsday to the Mad Max films(Don't recall an Aliens homage though, been a few years since i've seen the film, what part was that exactly?)

I can appreciate Requiem, but it's one of those films I feel that I only needed to see it once to "appreciate".

Thu May 01, 2014 1:18 pm
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
I just named an example in which that's clearly not the case. Man's inhumanity to a fellow man is more interesting to me than one man's inhumanity to himself. Sadism makes for darker, more compelling drama than masochism IMO.

I would think just the opposite. Any idiot can tell a story about people causing problems for each other. I come up to you in a bar and punch you in the face. Boom. Conflict. Anybody can do that. It takes a far keener observer to portray inner conflict, the kind of conflict in which people are undone by their own shortcomings. The latter is an exercise in empathy and the former is largely not.

Thu May 01, 2014 3:20 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
It's hard for me to sympathize with someone who brought their own suffering upon themselves. Burstyns character is sympathetic. The other three, frankly, get what they deserve. It's not like Casualties of War where a Vietnamese girl undergoes the worst horror imagineable, totally unprovoked and a 100% victim. None of the Requiem characters are victims in that sense.

To a certain degree I understand where you're coming from (I though the amount of sympathy Blow expected for its drug-addled, drug dealing, criminal sleazeball of a protagonist was rather startling) but I think the movie does a fantastic job making the characters human. I don't drink/use drugs and I never have, but I understand why people would, and I certainly understand the idea of wanting to "make it" and get rich and open a garment shop. I mean, if you can watch the final sequence with Tyrone where he's curled on his side remembering the warm embrace of his mother and say "Pfffft, he brought it on himself," then you're a hard, hard man my friend.

Thu May 01, 2014 5:17 pm
Director

Quote:
I mean, if you can watch the final sequence with Tyrone where he's curled on his side remembering the warm embrace of his mother and say "Pfffft, he brought it on himself," then you're a hard, hard man my friend.

Not really considering Tyrone isn't a real person, but merely a character in a movie. It's not him I'm criticizing really, it's Aronofsky. It's like the speech Bogart gives to Mary Astor at the end of Maltese Falcon. "You counted on that the same way you counted on it with all the others!" Aronofsky counts on audience sympathy. In fact, he demands it in order for the movie to have any effect at all. And it DID affect me the first time I saw it, can't deny that. I just don't care as much for movies that go for that. It's not, I believe, what great movies are meant to do. There was a thread recently about whether pity-centric movies tend to get over-praised. I think they do.

Quote:
I would think just the opposite. Any idiot can tell a story about people causing problems for each other. I come up to you in a bar and punch you in the face. Boom. Conflict. Anybody can do that. It takes a far keener observer to portray inner conflict, the kind of conflict in which people are undone by their own shortcomings. The latter is an exercise in empathy and the former is largely not.

I don't think empathy or sympathy should be the sole endeavor for a movie. I had the same criticism for 12 Years a Slave and Gravity. Movies are for entertainment and I'm interested in the craft that goes into that. Sure, most characters need a certain degree of sympathy in order for the larger conceit of a movie to work at all, but I don't go for movies that are entirely about that.

Sure, any idiot can tell a story about people causing problems for each other. Not everyone can do it with terrific cinematography, editing, music, production design, sound design, acting, shot compositions, and camera movement.

Thu May 01, 2014 10:02 pm
Assistant Director

Brick Mansions: 1.5/4

It broke my heart when I learned of Paul Walker's death. I've always liked him as an actor, even though he didn't have a lot of range. Maybe he was just really good at playing the Southern California surfer dude thing (although the fact that he was the most GORGEOUS individual on the planet certainly didn't hurt matters). He deserved a much more fitting epitaph than "Brick Mansions," a pointless, stupid and comatose action movie. I liked the freerunning bits, and some of the stunts were cool, and Walker gave his best performance, but putting it bluntly, it sucked. He deserved a greater epitaph than this.

Saint Ralph: 3.5/4

While there were a few contrivances needed to get the story going, this was a hugely enjoyable movie. I'm a huge fan of Campbell Scott, and he was terrific here. Adam Butcher was impossible not to like, and the pool scene is great. The last time I was this into a racing movie was "Rush."

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 2.5/4

At least it wasn't a complete rehash of one of Sam Raimi's Spidey outings like the first one was. But it was muddled and lacking in excitement. I love Andrew Garfield, but he needs to work on his comedy skills. Still, he was terrific here. The best lines from the trailer were missing, and the cool FP POV action shots of the first film are missing, and replaced with generic and confusing action sequences. Sigh...it makes me wish for Christopher Nolan's Batman movies.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri May 02, 2014 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

I thought Brick Mansions was a perfectly fine epitaph(though i'd personally consider Fast 7 to be his real epitaph, as he was nearly finished filming according to Tyrese Gibson). I had a great time with the film. Also at my screening, there was a collective "aww" from the audience when the tribute popped up just before the credits.

Fri May 02, 2014 4:03 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762 ... 783  Next