Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761 ... 839  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
MGamesCook wrote:
On that other point, I think Jaws being the founder of all blockbusters is a bit flimsy. Weren't there plenty of blockbusters before that? Sure, maybe Jaws started the emphasis on the Summer Season. But if it can be said that there is a certain blockbuster spirit, then blockbusters existed as long as movies have. As have event movies, more broadly. They were under their share of attack even in the 50s, but the 80s is when they really started going downhill. Ambition started to be replaced by easy money.

That's true: studio movies were always made to make money. Yet, in discussion on 80ies movies, I've read that a summer season for blockbusters, merchandising and increased marketing were hallmarks of the 1980ies. That's why mentioned the 70ies movies, which are often named as having introduced these practices.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 am
Critic

Unke wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
On that other point, I think Jaws being the founder of all blockbusters is a bit flimsy. Weren't there plenty of blockbusters before that? Sure, maybe Jaws started the emphasis on the Summer Season. But if it can be said that there is a certain blockbuster spirit, then blockbusters existed as long as movies have. As have event movies, more broadly. They were under their share of attack even in the 50s, but the 80s is when they really started going downhill. Ambition started to be replaced by easy money.

That's true: studio movies were always made to make money. Yet, in discussion on 80ies movies, I've read that a summer season for blockbusters, merchandising and increased marketing were hallmarks of the 1980ies. That's why mentioned the 70ies movies, which are often named as having introduced these practices.

By the way, even the "Jaws starts the summer season" line is a distortion at best, a fabrication at worst. I read a book from 1968 called The Studio which has an interview with a studio owner. He mentions how important it is to get the best movies out in summer because that's when you make the most money.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Producer

That period from the late '60s to mid '70s, before Jaws and Star Wars, when all those big money artistic works came out? It literally happened because the new corporate studio owners were trying to figure out how to get more young people into theaters, and their first tactic was to hire young people to make the movies. Hence Coppola, Scorsese, De Palma, and so on.

The only reason Jaws is thought of as the first super-big summer event movie is that the owners didn't realize there could be such a thing as a super-big summer event movie, or they would have done it sooner.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:55 pm
Critic

In other news, this has been a very lively and fun discussion. Right on, fellas

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:09 pm
Director

24 Hour Party People

Michael Winterbottom's depiction of the punk/Post-Punk scene is an entertaining film with humor in the right spots. You don't have to necessarily be a fan o early alternative music to like it. But it does help.

***1/2

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:30 pm
Gaffer

moviemkr7 wrote:
FilmFanJaimeR wrote:
Requiem for a Dream

It was spectacular, but wow, this was quite an uneasy watch (if you've seen the movie, I'm sure you'd know which scenes in particular I'm talking about). I've hardly seen any Darren Aronofsky films myself (this and Black Swan are the only ones I've seen so far), but I see him as a rather interesting one to look into right now. I can't even leave this movie feeling happy in the end...

I didn't care for this movie. All the visual trickery distanced me from the characters, and while it was certainly creative, it was too much.

Yeah, I can understand why there'd be a group of people who wouldn't like this movie.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Skinwalkers (2006)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461703/
"Yee nadlooshi - Navajo for Skinwalkers; human beings who have gained supernatural powers through blood. Some call it a gift, others a curse. A war has been raging between those who want the curse to end and those who embrace the powers of the beast. According to Indian legend, a thirteen-year old boy will bring an end to all Skinwalkers."
Yeah. Essentially the movie has the same basic plot as 2009's Daybreakers (but with werewolves, err skinwalkers), except with terrible effects (no transformation sequence in a werewolf movie!), acting, story arc and direction. Rhona Mitra (who I remember from Boston Legal and The Practice and who should seriously have stuck with TV) stars alongside other C-listers (such as Falling Skies' Sarah Carter). There is absolutely nothing I can think of to recommend this one. Howlingly bad.
2.5/10.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 pm
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
Skinwalkers (2006)
"Yee nadlooshi - Navajo for Skinwalkers; human beings who have gained supernatural powers through blood. Some call it a gift, others a curse. A war has been raging between those who want the curse to end and those who embrace the powers of the beast. According to Indian legend, a thirteen-year old boy will bring an end to all Skinwalkers."
Yeah. Essentially the movie has the same basic plot as 2009's Daybreakers (but with werewolves, err skinwalkers), except with terrible effects (no transformation sequence in a werewolf movie!), acting, story arc and direction. Rhona Mitra (who I remember from Boston Legal and The Practice and who should seriously have stuck with TV) stars alongside other C-listers (such as Falling Skies' Sarah Carter). There is absolutely nothing I can think of to recommend this one. Howlingly bad.
2.5/10.

I think Rhona is a pretty good actress and I somewhat enjoyed the film, it wasn't as bad as the trailers made it look, but as far as werewolf films go, the Howling films were better as a whole(except for New Moon Rising).

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:32 pm
Critic

FilmFanJaimeR wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
FilmFanJaimeR wrote:
Requiem for a Dream

It was spectacular, but wow, this was quite an uneasy watch (if you've seen the movie, I'm sure you'd know which scenes in particular I'm talking about). I've hardly seen any Darren Aronofsky films myself (this and Black Swan are the only ones I've seen so far), but I see him as a rather interesting one to look into right now. I can't even leave this movie feeling happy in the end...

I didn't care for this movie. All the visual trickery distanced me from the characters, and while it was certainly creative, it was too much.

Yeah, I can understand why there'd be a group of people who wouldn't like this movie.

I think it's a masterpiece. One of the best movies made in my lifetime, easily.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 pm
Auteur

I think it's a good film, but at the same time it's not really a movie I want to see more then once due to how depressing it is.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:59 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I think it's a good film, but at the same time it's not really a movie I want to see more then once due to how depressing it is.

One of the few times I agree 100% with Vexer. It's a fantastically made film. But I doubt I will be watching it again anytime soon. I'm not sure why really. It's not necessarily because of the harrowing subject matter (I've watched Precious multiple times and Blue Velvet is one of my Top 10 movies of all-time). But for some reason, once was enough for me with Requiem.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:52 pm
Second Unit Director

I'll comment since I watched this for the first time last night. I agree wholeheartedly with Kunz, I was absolutely astonished. The editing frenzy created a desperate, nightmarish atmosphere. It takes full advantage of the medium, telling the story in a way that it could only be told through film. I loved it, along with Pi which I watched directly prior to it.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:

One of the few times I agree 100% with Vexer. It's a fantastically made film. But I doubt I will be watching it again anytime soon. I'm not sure why really. It's not necessarily because of the harrowing subject matter (I've watched Precious multiple times and Blue Velvet is one of my Top 10 movies of all-time). But for some reason, once was enough for me with Requiem.

I can tell you why -- because the filmmaking is utterly punishing. It's more unsettling than most horror films

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:13 pm
Critic

Steven wrote:
I'll comment since I watched this for the first time last night. I agree wholeheartedly with Kunz, I was absolutely astonished. The editing frenzy created a desperate, nightmarish atmosphere. It takes full advantage of the medium, telling the story in a way that it could only be told through film. I loved it, along with Pi which I watched directly prior to it.

Exactly. It's incredible filmmaking

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:13 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Steven wrote:

Exactly. It's incredible filmmaking

I'm with the lovers of Requiem here. It's in my top 10 of all time.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:21 pm
Producer

I find Requiem to be a little ostentatious. Aronofsky has done movies in which he reigns in his excesses, and then there are the movies where he... well, he goes full Aronofsky. I prefer the former.

If anybody would like to pelt me with rotting fruit, please form an orderly line.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
I find Requiem to be a little ostentatious. Aronofsky has done movies in which he reigns in his excesses, and then there are the movies where he... well, he goes full Aronofsky. I prefer the former.

If anybody would like to pelt me with rotting fruit, please form an orderly line.

Attachments:
37461_26768562.jpg
37461_26768562.jpg [ 35.42 KiB | Viewed 168 times ]
Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

I agree. Though Requiem certainly impacted me the first time I saw it (I think 6 years ago), I haven't returned to it since. I think it gets a bit messy toward the end as it links four different scenarios, Intolerance-style, which I'm not sure deserve to be linked. The Jared Leto and Ellen Burstyn stories are a bit worse than the other two. And I think the Connelly "ass to ass" thing is a bit over the top.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 pm
Gaffer

Steven wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It's rather uneasy to return to a masterpiece much like this one. But in particular, I was deeply moved by the performance of Ellen Burstyn. I'm hoping it's not just me on this, but I thought that she deserved the Oscar for this movie that year when she was nominated. And I still need to see Pi once I get a chance.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
Skinwalkers (2006)
2.5/10.

I think Rhona is a pretty good actress and I somewhat enjoyed the film, it wasn't as bad as the trailers made it look, but as far as werewolf films go, the Howling films were better as a whole(except for New Moon Rising).

I like Rhona Mitra as well. Though I haven't seen Skinwalkers, but funny enough, I did see another movie with her the other night. It's called Stolen about a cop, played by Mad Men's Jon Hamm, whose kid was abducted and is investigating the abduction of another child from the late 1950's, whose remains are found in a construction area. The movie jumps back and fourth from the current day of Hamm's investigation and how he's still very much mourning the disappearance of his own son and how his marriage to his wife (played by Mitra, who is quite good despite not having much to do) has been slowly imploding and 1958 where it tells the story of a struggling father of three, played by Josh Lucas in a very good performance, and how is his youngest son would ultimately end up getting abducted (and ultimately killed). Back in the present time, Hamm's character begins to believe that the guy who killed the kid from the 1950's is the same guy who took his own child. I won't say who is the killer/kidnapper is even though it's not really a spoiler. The movie reveals who it is very early in it. The supporting cast is quite good and includes the likes of Jessica Chastain, Morena Baccarin, James Van Der Beek, Michael Cudlitz, Rick Gomez (I recognized him from Justified) and Jude Ciccollela.

I found the movie to be very compelling with strong performances from Hamm, Lucas, Van Der Beek, Chastain, Mitra and every one else. Good movie. Definitely a 3 star movie or a 7/10.

Thu May 01, 2014 3:31 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, 761 ... 839  Next